The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowduck

Silfverberg Situation

I keep seeing stories hinting that Silfverberg will be traded. I for one hopes that doesn't happen.I  think his two way play is one of the best on the team and until he was hurt he was the leading goal scorer. What about everyone else on these boards ?

Do want to keep Silfverberg? If not why?

And,

Do you think it is inevitable that he will be traded? If so why?

I'd love to keep Silfverberg. Very solid two-way player. He can be crazy good in The Playoffs  (should we ever make it again).

If he has to go I hope it's in a package to bring in a significant piece.

To me, it seems more inevitable than not that he gets traded (provided he doesn't have a serious long-term injury). There is going to be potential logjam at RW going into next season with Perry, Kase, Sprong, Eaves, Sherwood and Terry all under contract. I don't see the point of holding onto Silf and risk letting him walk for nothing given he's one of the more tradable assets that the Ducks have. From a money perspective, I guess that they could fit him in and re-sign a back up goalie with the cap going up. Assuming that ownership is fine with another season of having limited financial flexibility, but it seems like they would be more inclined to limit salary than add it. If the Ducks re-sign him and don't make larger roster changes than they'd just be keeping the same group together that clearly is not even close to contending. I'd rather get futures for him and add to the prospect pool that the Ducks will need going forward.

This team is going nowhere and Silf is an expiring asset. He'll likely be asking for $5-6M per season and honestly I don't think he's worth that as he's a 40 point player. He's a good 3rd liner but a borderline 2nd liner in the NHL.

I think given the team's current situation (one of the worst teams in the league without Gibson) we have to trade him.

It almost feels inevitable that he will be moved. I just hope he ends up somewhere likeable. He's consistently been our best playoff performer behind Getzlaf and I'd rather not see a guy like him wearing some dumb colour like yellow in April.

10 hours ago, nieder said:

I think given the team's current situation (one of the worst teams in the league without Gibson) we have to trade him.

I think the same, we are one of the worst team even with Gibson....

trade him, trade 1-2 30+ years old forward and trade they for draft picks or prospects...

12 hours ago, nieder said:

This team is going nowhere and Silf is an expiring asset. He'll likely be asking for $5-6M per season and honestly I don't think he's worth that as he's a 40 point player. He's a good 3rd liner but a borderline 2nd liner in the NHL.

He'd be a 2nd liner on quite a few teams I think. I also believe he can be a 50- 55 point player given the right circumstances. However, the circumstances in Anaheim are not right. 

I just hope BM does something. Not just let him walk after season's end.

I want to keep him, he's great at 2-way play. There's only so much one-dimensional Sprongs a team can have to bve successful. He's good in shootouts and playoffs, but like all regular F people (non-superstar), he has a tendency to be hot-cold for stretches of time, which is frustrating.

My thinking is Bob does not want to trade him, but Silf will ask for $$$, and Bob will send him to some Pittsburgh or Long Island or Washington to win a Cup in exchange for some solid D or 3-d liner with picks.

8 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

He'd be a 2nd liner on quite a few teams I think. I also believe he can be a 50- 55 point player given the right circumstances. However, the circumstances in Anaheim are not right. 

I just hope BM does something. Not just let him walk after season's end.

He's 28 years old and has only scored over 40 points once in his career. I can't see him improving much at this point.

6 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Well if Silf wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray wants to keep him, we could still trade him as a rental and then re-sign him in the off-season. Sell it to Silf as giving him a chance to win a Cup this season and getting some pieces back the other way to make the team better for when he re-signs. Win win.

6 minutes ago, nieder said:

Well if Silf wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray wants to keep him, we could still trade him as a rental and then re-sign him in the off-season. Sell it to Silf as giving him a chance to win a Cup this season and getting some pieces back the other way to make the team better for when he re-signs. Win win.

So you want him to have the opportunity to play for a different coach and expect him to want to come back to Anaheim?  I know RC has an option in his contract for another year and BM can't possibly consider giving him the option. But, the way BM has backed the coach and has thrown the players under the bus, would Silfver want to come back to this system?

15 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

So you want him to have the opportunity to play for a different coach and expect him to want to come back to Anaheim?  I know RC has an option in his contract for another year and BM can't possibly consider giving him the option. But, the way BM has backed the coach and has thrown the players under the bus, would Silfver want to come back to this system?

I think RC has a handshake deal with Murray to move into a front office role next season. We will see a different coach next year.

I don't know about BM, you make a good point about him throwing guys under the bus.

I think Silf could be had in the $4M range not exceeeding $5M. I think he could be a better player than what we have seen so far but that’s the thing, he hasn’t shown that during the time he’s been here. I think Bob will leverage Silfs scoring output thus far and hopefully get a decent deal done. 

On 1/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, DucksFan_08 said:

I'd love to keep Silfverberg. Very solid two-way player. He can be crazy good in The Playoffs  (should we ever make it again).

If he has to go I hope it's in a package to bring in a significant piece.

It would be best for the Ducks to sent him in a trade package for a important player.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, nieder said:

He's 28 years old and has only scored over 40 points once in his career. I can't see him improving much at this point.

Take a look at the point totals of every player on this team. We're not exactly an offensive juggernaut. I think that if Silfverberg is put into the right situation (2nd line duty with some PP time on an offensive minded team)  he can exceed his previous season's best easily.

I trade him at the deadline.  He is a decent 200 foot player, but he will demand too high a salary for what he has produced thusfar in his career.  He gets hurt a lot too.   You can always negotiate with him July 1st, but my sense is he would price himself out of Anaheim.

Contract talks are progressing between the camp for pending UFA winger Jakob Silfverberg and the Ducks. We’ll see where that goes. Anaheim really wants to keep him but needs resolution before Feb 25 obviously

On 1/21/2019 at 2:05 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

To me, it seems more inevitable than not that he gets traded (provided he doesn't have a serious long-term injury). There is going to be potential logjam at RW going into next season with Perry, Kase, Sprong, Eaves, Sherwood and Terry all under contract. I don't see the point of holding onto Silf and risk letting him walk for nothing given he's one of the more tradable assets that the Ducks have. From a money perspective, I guess that they could fit him in and re-sign a back up goalie with the cap going up. Assuming that ownership is fine with another season of having limited financial flexibility, but it seems like they would be more inclined to limit salary than add it. If the Ducks re-sign him and don't make larger roster changes than they'd just be keeping the same group together that clearly is not even close to contending. I'd rather get futures for him and add to the prospect pool that the Ducks will need going forward.

I think you’re right..my guess is they’re offering less than he could command on the market so either he signs by the deadline or he’ll be in a nice trade.

Gibbons and Cracknell can be replaced by Terry and one of several Gulls. Hopefully BM can trade another forward or 2 to make room for more than 2. 

Silfverberg has played the majority of his time with Kesler.  Kesler has been terrible the past 2 seasons. In addition, he’s on a shutdown line and plays more on the PK than PP. That explains his low goal production.  If he isn’t signed before the trade deadline, he gets traded. I hope that doesn’t happen as Inthink he is one of the few players who plays every shift. BM already traded away the other. 

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Gibbons and Cracknell can be replaced by Terry and one of several Gulls. Hopefully BM can trade another forward or 2 to make room for more than 2. 

Silfverberg has played the majority of his time with Kesler.  Kesler has been terrible the past 2 seasons. In addition, he’s on a shutdown line and plays more on the PK than PP. That explains his low goal production.  If he isn’t signed before the trade deadline, he gets traded. I hope that doesn’t happen as Inthink he is one of the few players who plays every shift. BM already traded away the other. 

My thoughts exactly. I hope the Ducks keep Silfverberg. I don't care about getting a rental in a trade. 

Idk if he would even want to come back. Whos to say that he will? It's a gamble, if he comes back and we get other assets then great. But I'm not sure who would want to come back to the dumpster on fire that BM always dove into.... by the way, where is the annual reclamation project heatley 2.0? Working the phones to get him probably.... lol

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

"I said it. I want to stay. I like it here," Jakob Silfverberg said. But the Ducks winger knows leaving Anaheim is a possibility as the Feb. 25 trade deadline nears. From @icemancometh

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/02/pacific-notes-silfverberg-anaheim-veterans-edler-kings.html

FEBRUARY 8, 2019 AT 7:55 PM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE LEAVE A COMMENT

The Bruins are among the teams interested in Ducks winger Jakob Silfverbergreports Eric Stephens of The Athletic (subscription required), who classifies Boston’s level of interest as great.  The 28-year-old quietly leads Anaheim in goals this season with 12 but his 0.43 points per game average is his lowest since his rookie year.  However, Silfverberg’s two-way play and track record will make him a popular rental for teams looking to add by the deadline.  There is mutual interest in a contract extension but Anaheim’s tagging situationmakes that a bit of a tricky proposition if they can’t free up some money for next season in the next couple of weeks.

More from the Pacific:

• Still with Anaheim, don’t expect them to be able to move one of their high-priced veterans to help free up tagging room for Silfverberg deal. Elliott Teaford of the Orange County Register notes that centers Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler, as well as winger Corey Perry, aren’t expected to be willing to waive their no-move clauses in the event that the Ducks could find a taker for them in a trade.