HockeyIzCool

31 Remaining - 19-8-4 Gets 93 Pts

93 posts in this topic

Assuming that it takes about 93 points to make the playoffs this season, the Ducks would essentially have to earn points in 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the way.  Winning the head to head matches with the teams they're competing against for the Wild Card, will be critical.

There are 8 teams within reasonable range of the last 3 playoff spots.  The top 3 spots in the Pacific appear out of reach, with San Jose 14 points ahead of Anaheim, and Vegas 11 points ahead.  That leaves the Ducks competing with 7 other teams for those 2 wild card spots.

The Ducks have come up big down the stretch before.  So although unlikely, it is possible.  But they're basically out of time, and have no more margin for error.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

Denial is the first emotion 

then anger...

I’d plan on lots of #2

5 people like this

I think the only two teams Anaheim might (MIGHT) beat down the stretch are the Queens and Hawks. Arizona is 50/50.

5 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Denial is the first emotion 

then anger...

I’d plan on lots of #2

Chicken little is a thing.

I doubt it takes 93 points to get in the tournament this year. Probably more like 87 or 88. Dallas, Colorado, Vancouver, and Edmonton are all very mediocre. Hence why the Ducks are still technically in the playoff race.

1 person likes this

Stop with the playoff dreams...please, face the reality of this season. We are not good. We do not belong in any playoff discussions. If you thought last year's playoff performance was horrific this team would be even worse. Teams don't even have to play to 80% of their potential to dominate us in meaningless regular season games. Can't even imagine if the Ducks were to face say the Flames in the first round...sweep city...not even close.

3 people like this

0 and 31 for Dylan Cozens or lose for Hughes it’s one of these I choose. 

The Ducks are in the same position as they were last season in that not making the playoffs is in the best interest of the organization. They are just laughably horrible this season. Since there will not be a change in management or coaching and by losing Kase for the year, the Ducks goal should be to go for the highest draft pick possible. The only moves that I hope to see going forward are: 1) trade silfverberg for picks 2) stop playing Gibson as a starter. I place a greater emphasis on #2 and think that would be enough to give the Ducks great odds of getting at least a top-5 pick. 

1 person likes this

I prefer they don’t make the playoffs. Losing game 7s with BB was tough to swallow but getting swept under RC was embarrassing. 

4 people like this

21 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Assuming that it takes about 93 points to make the playoffs this season, the Ducks would essentially have to earn points in 2 out of every 3 games the rest of the way.  Winning the head to head matches with the teams they're competing against for the Wild Card, will be critical.

There are 8 teams within reasonable range of the last 3 playoff spots.  The top 3 spots in the Pacific appear out of reach, with San Jose 14 points ahead of Anaheim, and Vegas 11 points ahead.  That leaves the Ducks competing with 7 other teams for those 2 wild card spots.

The Ducks have come up big down the stretch before.  So although unlikely, it is possible.  But they're basically out of time, and have no more margin for error.

It's all or nothing from here on end...Ducks need to go GUNS ablazing. Do or die put up or shut up. LET'S GO DUCKS!

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

24 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

It's all or nothing from here on end...Ducks need to go GUNS ablazing. Do or die put up or shut up. LET'S GO DUCKS!

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Sorry Moose, haven't felt a pulse for a while. It's time to call it. In the words of jethro tull "feeling like a dead duck".

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The only moves that I hope to see going forward are: 1) trade silfverberg for picks 2) stop playing Gibson as a starter. I place a greater emphasis on #2 and think that would be enough to give the Ducks great odds of getting at least a top-5 pick. 

So long as he's healthy, Gibson is going to be the starter.  And when Miller comes back, he'll be the capable backup.  Although sadly, I see him as potential trade bait.

Carlyle is not going to bench Gibson, when he's not the problem.  Carlyle is going to try for as many points as possible, if only to minimize his embarrassment at a failed season.

12 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

So long as he's healthy, Gibson is going to be the starter.  And when Miller comes back, he'll be the capable backup.  Although sadly, I see him as potential trade bait.

Carlyle is not going to bench Gibson, when he's not the problem.  Carlyle is going to try for as many points as possible, if only to minimize his embarrassment at a failed season.

Oh, I don’t doubt that’s what will happen but I think it’s an absolutely stupid move at this point. Murray and Carlyle are going to cost Gibson the Vezina in all likelihood while also taxing him to death mentally and physically. It’s just unnecessary putting Gibson at risk of injury and/or just giving up on this team. And for what? An absolute embarrassment of a season so that two drinking buddies can try to save face? If I were Gibson, I’d say screw Murray and Carlyle and write this season off. Who could blame him and why should he care when the organization obviously doesn’t.

3 people like this

you'd have to check the mid season points from last year.  i bet teams with less than 93 points are going to get wild carded this year.... at least on our side of the conference.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:45 PM, ducks07 said:

Sorry Moose, haven't felt a pulse for a while. It's time to call it. In the words of jethro tull "feeling like a dead duck".

Rather Ducks just go all out and just Give it their all from here till the end to make it to the Playoffs...If not there is that Silver lining we want...NO IT'S NOT a High Pick. JEEZ i hat this  "Tanking" BS.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

42 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Rather Ducks just go all out and just Give it their all from here till the end to make it to the Playoffs...If not there is that Silver lining we want...NO IT'S NOT a High Pick. JEEZ i hat this  "Tanking" BS.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

What would you rather have happen...

1. Play Gibson 90% of the remainder of the season, somehow stumble into a playoff spot knowing this current team would struggle to win a single game in the opening round and risk Gibson sustaining an injury due to the overuse and lack of defensive support.

2. Split the remainder of the regular season games between Gibby and the backup...most likely finishing with a top 5 draft pick and a healthy Gibson.

3. Play Gibson only a third of the remainder of games with hopes of securing a top 3 pick and ensuring a healthy Gibson for next season.

The "system" is broke...I wouldn't call it "tanking" its more like risk management.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

What would you rather have happen...

1. Play Gibson 90% of the remainder of the season, somehow stumble into a playoff spot knowing this current team would struggle to win a single game in the opening round and risk Gibson sustaining an injury due to the overuse and lack of defensive support.

2. Split the remainder of the regular season games between Gibby and the backup...most likely finishing with a top 5 draft pick and a healthy Gibson.

3. Play Gibson only a third of the remainder of games with hopes of securing a top 3 pick and ensuring a healthy Gibson for next season.

The "system" is broke...I wouldn't call it "tanking" its more like risk management.

Just that I...Look I HATE THIS notion people are cheering for teams to lose. I don't want our Ducks to Lose and it's silly and foolish.  YES System is broken and yes Ducks need to choose...are they 100% Nope and we have to either make do with what we have.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

That was great 

spot on about the ducks!

2 people like this

The good news.
Ducks haven't lost a game in 7 days.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, wataduk said:

The good news.
Ducks haven't lost a game in 7 days.

I know THAT IS SO AWWWWWWESOME for our Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The last chance we had of the playoffs was Kase going down injured our speed and energy from that spark plug will be sorely missed . 

Edited by mulcher
4 people like this

4 hours ago, mulcher said:

The last chance we had of the playoffs was Kase going down injured our speed and energy from that spark plug will be sorely missed . 

EXACTLY !! You could feel the difference in the building when Kase would turn on the speed - it's just not there when he is out and he going to out for a long time. Might be out after training camp ( hope not long but possible )

I admit that I am a newer hockey fan and don't have the hockey knowledge like many of you.  But I am kind of scratching my head about the idea of selling off known commodities for yet to be proven draft picks.  I get how important draft picks are to a team yet they are a risk... I wonder how many top draft picks really pan out to be stars.  This year has been a really bad year in part do to injuries.  And our team has been very hot and cold.  But over-all we have some talent on the team and in San Diego.  So to me it all comes down to leadership.  To me it is more of a symptom of coaching or management.  Bottom-line is with the talent we do have we should be doing better.  They say talent wins championships.  I say that is true but you need to start with a talented driving coach.  Just look at the Superbowl teams this year... coach driven teams.

10 minutes ago, MissNoSeven said:

I admit that I am a newer hockey fan and don't have the hockey knowledge like many of you.  But I am kind of scratching my head about the idea of selling off known commodities for yet to be proven draft picks.  I get how important draft picks are to a team yet they are a risk... I wonder how many top draft picks really pan out to be stars.  This year has been a really bad year in part do to injuries.  And our team has been very hot and cold.  But over-all we have some talent on the team and in San Diego.  So to me it all comes down to leadership.  To me it is more of a symptom of coaching or management.  Bottom-line is with the talent we do have we should be doing better.  They say talent wins championships.  I say that is true but you need to start with a talented driving coach.  Just look at the Superbowl teams this year... coach driven teams.

This teams current state of flux is mostly due to bad contracts and a poor coaching staff...here's looking at you GMBM. The Ducks will always be a team that is built through the draft because not many URF's consider Anaheim as their desired destination because we are not a hockey town (although the sport is growing stronger in socal) and the HC does not compete with most arena's (amenities and volume). We need to have another draft like the one that saw us land Getz and Pears to become competitive for multiple years to come. This year's draft is very deep in talent and would be in the best interest of the Ducks to acquire as many picks as possible. This rebuild/retool can be a quick one if the right moves are made.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ducks07 said:

This teams current state of flux is mostly due to bad contracts and a poor coaching staff...here's looking at you GMBM. The Ducks will always be a team that is built through the draft because not many URF's consider Anaheim as their desired destination because we are not a hockey town (although the sport is growing stronger in socal) and the HC does not compete with most arena's (amenities and volume). We need to have another draft like the one that saw us land Getz and Pears to become competitive for multiple years to come. This year's draft is very deep in talent and would be in the best interest of the Ducks to acquire as many picks as possible. This rebuild/retool can be a quick one if the right moves are made.

Yeah. Landing two of the best and most impactful players in franchise history in the same draft is pretty bonkers when you think about it. Getting them midway and later in the first round makes it even more crazy with just how lucky the organization got that year. 

I agree that Ducks problems are top-down and start with Murray. He constructed this roster and coaching staff and has made glaring missteps which have been discussed at nauseam on these boards. The team’s most expensive players are older, slowing down and can no longer carry the team like they used which happens to every team eventually and they have to rebuild. Getzlaf can still be very effective but if the team wants to prolong that effectiveness than they need to get him far more offensive help so that he’s not being ran into the ground and carrying that burden. 

Anaheim doesn’t seem like it’s bad place to play. The Ducks just don’t traditionally spend a lot in free agency so I think that’s a bigger reason why they don’t land top free agents. Living on the beach in Orange County seems like a good selling point for playing here lol.

As for reasons to be optimistic, we are weathering some of the worst hockey from this team and that things can’t get much worse from a play perspective and that we can be in a position to draft a truly elite prospect in June. Then, hopefully some of our prospects are better than projected, a better coach will be huge steps in the right direction.

...Or Murray is the new Chiarelli and the Ducks are screwed until the Sun burns out.

16 hours ago, MissNoSeven said:

I admit that I am a newer hockey fan and don't have the hockey knowledge like many of you.  (1)But I am kind of scratching my head about the idea of selling off known commodities for yet to be proven draft picks.  (2)I get how important draft picks are to a team yet they are a risk... (3)I wonder how many top draft picks really pan out to be stars.  This year has been a really bad year in part do to injuries.  And our team has been very hot and cold.  But over-all we have some talent on the team and in San Diego.  So to me it all comes down to leadership.  To me it is more of a symptom of coaching or management.  (4)Bottom-line is with the talent we do have we should be doing better.  They say talent wins championships.  I say that is true but you need to start with a talented driving coach.  Just look at the Superbowl teams this year... coach driven teams.

1) Sometimes you gotta trade off something to get an asset in return. For instance, the Ducks need a hot young new stud to create goal scoring or goal socring opportunities. Trade a young defenseman that the Ducks have for a forward. See: Pettersson for Sprong.

2) Draft picks ARE important. Without a doubt. Yet to fans have a fetish for draft picks and assume they are a sure thing. Draft picks are nothing but a gamble. The Ducks Kase was a 7th round pick, I'm sure many fans would have traded that pick willy nilly thinking nothing of it. If that pick was used to ever so marginally to upgrade the team, I would have down it. Because 7th rounders are rare. But it just so happened through the gamble the Ducks got something nice out it. Detroit knows alot about that.

3) Going back to the fetishism of draft picks and prospects. Some just don't work. You can get lucky in the 7th round or you can bust in the first round. I wanna say Ritchie was a Top10 pick and most fans wouldn't have given it another thought if he was traded in the off-season. Especially with his holdout. But he came back a better player and I'm hopeful for his continued progression.

(4) That's the question of the day. The Ducks have the quality personnel. But something is broken. Everything is broken at the moment. How does that change? I think everyone starts with the choach at this point.

Edited by poum