The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

31 Remaining - 19-8-4 Gets 93 Pts

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah. Landing two of the best and most impactful players in franchise history in the same draft is pretty bonkers when you think about it. Getting them midway and later in the first round makes it even more crazy with just how lucky the organization got that year. 

That 2003 draft was nuts. It's far easier to point to the few teams who screwed up compared to the rest of the teams who came out with solid talent.

2 hours ago, poum said:

1) Sometimes you gotta trade off something to get an asset in return. For instance, the Ducks need a hot young new stud to create goal scoring or goal socring opportunities. Trade a young defenseman that the Ducks have for a forward. See: Pettersson for Sprong.

2) Draft picks ARE important. Without a doubt. Yet to fans have a fetish for draft picks and assume they are a sure thing. Draft picks are nothing but a gamble. The Ducks Kase was a 7th round pick, I'm sure many fans would have traded that pick willy nilly thinking nothing of it. If that pick was used to ever so marginally to upgrade the team, I would have down it. Because 7th rounders are rare. But it just so happened through the gamble the Ducks got something nice out it. Detroit knows alot about that.

3) Going back to the fetishism of draft picks and prospects. Some just don't work. You can get lucky in the 7th round or you can bust in the first round. I wanna say Ritchie was a Top10 pick and most fans wouldn't have given it another thought if he was traded in the off-season. Especially with his holdout. But he came back a better player and I'm hopeful for his continued progression.

(4) That's the question of the day. The Ducks have the quality personnel. But something is broken. Everything is broken at the moment. How does that change? I think everyone starts with the choach at this point.

Nothing in sports in a sure thing. Signing UFA's to large contracts that for whatever reason don't quite pan out. Trading for a proven NHL talent to only find he doesn't fit within their new teams system or lacks chemistry with new line mates. At least with draft picks the drafting team has the ability to choose from a wide variety of options when making their selection (position, size, speed, height, specialty, etc) that addresses the teams need. True, draft picks don't always live up to their expectations, but they don't cost an arm and a leg to find out.

34 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Nothing in sports in a sure thing. Signing UFA's to large contracts that for whatever reason don't quite pan out. Trading for a proven NHL talent to only find he doesn't fit within their new teams system or lacks chemistry with new line mates. At least with draft picks the drafting team has the ability to choose from a wide variety of options when making their selection (position, size, speed, height, specialty, etc) that addresses the teams need. True, draft picks don't always live up to their expectations, but they don't cost an arm and a leg to find out.

I'm off the opinion that you pick the best player possible. As opposed to drafting an organizational need. (i.e. Don't draft like the Coyotes) You can always trade for something you need later on down the road.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poum said:

1) Sometimes you gotta trade off something to get an asset in return. For instance, the Ducks need a hot young new stud to create goal scoring or goal socring opportunities. Trade a young defenseman that the Ducks have for a forward. See: Pettersson for Sprong.

2) Draft picks ARE important. Without a doubt. Yet to fans have a fetish for draft picks and assume they are a sure thing. Draft picks are nothing but a gamble. The Ducks Kase was a 7th round pick, I'm sure many fans would have traded that pick willy nilly thinking nothing of it. If that pick was used to ever so marginally to upgrade the team, I would have down it. Because 7th rounders are rare. But it just so happened through the gamble the Ducks got something nice out it. Detroit knows alot about that.

3) Going back to the fetishism of draft picks and prospects. Some just don't work. You can get lucky in the 7th round or you can bust in the first round. I wanna say Ritchie was a Top10 pick and most fans wouldn't have given it another thought if he was traded in the off-season. Especially with his holdout. But he came back a better player and I'm hopeful for his continued progression.

(4) That's the question of the day. The Ducks have the quality personnel. But something is broken. Everything is broken at the moment. How does that change? I think everyone starts with the choach at this point.

Well stated.  Except the part about "everyone starts with the coach..."  Everyone (that is) except BM... Ha Ha

On 2/1/2019 at 5:05 AM, poum said:

That 2003 draft was nuts. It's far easier to point to the few teams who screwed up compared to the rest of the teams who came out with solid talent.

It really is. It’s regarded as one of the best draft classes ever and the Ducks arguably did better than any other team. The huge problem is how reliant the Ducks still are on Getzlaf and Perry almost 16 years later.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:53 AM, poum said:

You’re right that draft picks are almost always a gamble and are akin to lottery tickets in that sense. At this point the Ducks are best served by getting a lottery ticket with the highest odds of bringing in that new young, stud talent that is also has the benefit of being on a cheap ELC.  In the end, it won’t matter what trades the Ducks make if they don’t draft well. Vatanen/Henrique deals are not going to give the Ducks the quickest route to going for a Cup. They are on the path of being forced to rebuild which will place an emphasis and value on getting more and more draft picks.

39 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It really is. It’s regarded as one of the best draft classes ever and the Ducks arguably did better than any other team. The huge problem is how reliant the Ducks still are on Getzlaf and Perry almost 16 years later.

Kinda funny how the Ducks have four players from the first round of that draft. Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry, Eaves.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:53 AM, poum said:

And it has to be cheaper to start with a new coach then playing wack a mole with the players.  I say get a new coach who will play the speed game and then see what happens.  The next move if needed will follow.

• Like 1

26 Games Remaining - 19-3-4 Gets 93 Points

Ducks are now 8 Points back of the last playoff spot.  We're 4 points ahead of Ottawa for worst record, and they have a game in hand.

I was listening to the NHL Network on XM yesterday and obviously there was a lot of talk about Anaheim's situation.  But one comment struck my funny bone.  There were two hosts and first guy says that even though Anaheim has lost 19 of their last 21, they are still just 6 points out of a play off spot.  Then the other guy on que says they may as well be 600 points out of a playoff spot.  Killed me lol.

On a more positive note...today the host reviewed his top 4 all time goalie performances in NHL playoff history and drum roll please.......J.S.G. in 2003 was numero uno.

Edited by WolfgangDuck
  • Like 3

Argh! Bob better not disappoint and get this team to start winning. Hope the descend to the bottom continues. There is no point in going higher in the standings and then getting a low pick for a consolation prize and there is “absolutely” no sense whatsoever in making the POs now especially with Bob at the helm. It would be last years POs but worse... much worse.... I don’t see any other option but to keep tanking to hopefully get a coveted top 4 pick then start fresh next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Argh! Bob better not disappoint and get this team to start winning. Hope the descend to the bottom continues. There is no point in going higher in the standings and then getting a low pick for a consolation prize and there is “absolutely” no sense whatsoever in making the POs now especially with Bob at the helm. It would be last years POs but worse... much worse.... I don’t see any other option but to keep tanking to hopefully get a coveted top 4 pick then start fresh next year. 

In order to make the playoffs at this point, the Ducks would have to win about 19 of their remaining 26 games.  If they do that, they're probably going to be the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs.  I'd be willing to hire Murray as head coach for next season if he performs a miracle such as that.

I'm more concerned about winning enough games to end up in the middle of non-playoff pack, and only a mid-round pick.  I almost wanted Carlyle to stay, since the way they've been playing, it looked like we were assured of the worst record in league, and a Top 4 Pick.

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I don't think there's any threat of that. Morning practices are cancelled for the rest of the season. I guess the guys are just to wing it from now on. Gong show here we come in a burning dumpster.

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Agreed.  No need to shoot for the playoffs.  This team is not good enough to do anything if they squeaked in.  Better to earn a top five pick.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I don't think there's any threat of that. Morning practices are cancelled for the rest of the season. I guess the guys are just to wing it from now on. Gong show here we come in a burning dumpster.

Woah! Really??? I can't imagine the message in the locker room is to wing it...but that's crazy. I mean, Bob said he wants to see who steps up to be a leader and wants to see them compete. I don't see how canceling a common (necessary?) practice encourages that attitude...seems like a mixed message...

26 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Woah! Really??? I can't imagine the message in the locker room is to wing it...but that's crazy. I mean, Bob said he wants to see who steps up to be a leader and wants to see them compete. I don't see how canceling a common (necessary?) practice encourages that attitude...seems like a mixed message...

Elliot Teaford tweeted that. It's in another thread. With no practices what are they supposed to be working on? I guess Bob is taking the survival of the fittest approach or something.

21 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Elliot Teaford tweeted that. It's in another thread. With no practices what are they supposed to be working on? I guess Bob is taking the survival of the fittest approach or something.

Yeah, exactly. That's mind boggling...man...if we thought the players were confused before...oh boy!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, exactly. That's mind boggling...man...if we thought the players were confused before...oh boy!

Murray is probably so out of shape that he can't skate a whole practice.

I guess Murray told the players... "you figure it out". Now he's going to sit back and watch. Still doesn't seem like the best approach.

lol. Bob didn’t cancel practices. He didn’t cancel film sessions. He only said the pre game skates will be optional. Nothing to see here. Many coaches and players don’t really like mandatory pre game skates and we’re certainly not the first team to do this towards the end of the season. The Penguins did the exact same thing last season in February. It’s just a way to get more rest for the players that need it. The only things we should be taking away from this are (1) RC really wore these guys out mentally and physically, and (2) GMGCBM is trying to rest guys so they can play better games. They’ll still be getting plenty of coaching on actual practice days and during post game film sessions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

lol. Bob didn’t cancel practices. He didn’t cancel film sessions. He only said the pre game skates will be optional. Nothing to see here. Many coaches and players don’t really like mandatory pre game skates and we’re certainly not the first team to do this towards the end of the season. The Penguins did the exact same thing last season in February. It’s just a way to get more rest for the players that need it. The only things we should be taking away from this are (1) RC really wore these guys out mentally and physically, and (2) GMGCBM is trying to rest guys so they can play better games. They’ll still be getting plenty of coaching on actual practice days and during post game film sessions.

Also, sounds as if the Ducks aren't going to be holding morning skates through the end of the season. Ice will be made available if players want to skate, but it won't be a mandatory thing. Beat writers jump for joy. Until they realize they need/want the access for notebooks.

I guess maybe I don't know the difference between morning skates and pre game skates then. What would be the difference? At home or on a road trip?

29 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Also, sounds as if the Ducks aren't going to be holding morning skates through the end of the season. Ice will be made available if players want to skate, but it won't be a mandatory thing. Beat writers jump for joy. Until they realize they need/want the access for notebooks.

I guess maybe I don't know the difference between morning skates and pre game skates then. What would be the difference? At home or on a road trip?

Morning skate = pre-game skate. Its not the same thing as a regular practice on non-game days. 

Here's an ARTICLE that might help to explain how the Ducks have been behind the times by having mandatory morning skates. GMHCBM's decision to make the morning skates optional is actually a step in the right direction that we should be celebrating, not mocking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Morning skate = pre-game skate. Its not the same thing as a regular practice on non-game days. 

Here's an ARTICLE that might help to explain how the Ducks have been behind the times by having mandatory morning skates. GMHCBM's decision to make the morning skates optional is actually a step in the right direction that we should be celebrating, not mocking.

Thanks, I get it now. Good information there.

I for one would like for Jim Fox to stay up as late as possible,, perhaps pull an "all nighter" so he wouldn't talk so much during the games...

9 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Thanks, I get it now. Good information there.

Here's another good article that I remembered reading about Pittsburgh's situation last year: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/02/14/Penguins-optional-morning-skates-Mike-Sullivan-rest-recovery/stories/201802140107  Even better info than the previous article.

Bottom line though - GMHCBM is NOT embracing the tank. For now, he is still trying to get his team to play better and win some games. I would bet money that its going to work too. Maybe not enough to sneak into the playoffs, but this team is about to start playing MUCH better hockey. I fully expect the Ducks to kick the Canucks heads in tomorrow night.

Hopefully not. Embracing the tank is the only smart option at this point. I imagine he’s going to let the assistants do most of the in-game management and he’ll be observing most of the time. I do worry that the Ducks will play better simply since a weight has been lifted; they are too talented on paper to be among the worst in the league. It would be a shame to play well to end the season, miss the playoffs, and ruin draft position for almost nothing. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

It would be a shame to play well to end the season, miss the playoffs, and ruin draft position for almost nothing. 

not almost nothing, for nothing!

A friend of mine said today "good luck", and I answered him: "we no need luck, we need loses. I want a top draft pick!"

we are 8 points behind the wild card, but we have also 7 no-playoff-teams who has more points... and even we should make the playoffs, we must play against a divisions-winner because we are of 15 points behind the 3 divisional spot Vegas....

I look at all other 3 teams behind us every day and hope they won the game... without a normal working Getzlaf we are (one of) the worst team. and he not get younger... we need future! start with Hughes or Kakko... i would 2-4 years tank for get early picks, trade the older players. in about 5-6 years with a 30 years old Gibson we will be a playoff team again..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hoxxey said:

I for one would like for Jim Fox to stay up as late as possible,, perhaps pull an "all nighter" so he wouldn't talk so much during the games...

He should take Hazy with him they could talk about kids goalie tips until dawn.

Oh Hazy is a good announcer.  He is fair and provides good insights.  Fox?  Makes me turn it off... (spoken with a voice inflection going downward, as he does...) Ugh.