The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

31 Remaining - 19-8-4 Gets 93 Pts

Tonite is the Night Let see how our Ducks respond with Their GM watching over their Behind the Bench. Hopefully we see a different Ducks team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 minutes ago, BritDuck168 said:

Hoping to see a bounce back tonight from the guy's.

51 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Tonite is the Night Let see how our Ducks respond with Their GM watching over their Behind the Bench. Hopefully we see a different Ducks team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

hoping they tank and thats the reason BM not wanted to hire a coach...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

hoping they tank and thats the reason BM not wanted to hire a coach...

No.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Here's another good article that I remembered reading about Pittsburgh's situation last year: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/02/14/Penguins-optional-morning-skates-Mike-Sullivan-rest-recovery/stories/201802140107  Even better info than the previous article.

Bottom line though - GMHCBM is NOT embracing the tank. For now, he is still trying to get his team to play better and win some games. I would bet money that its going to work too. Maybe not enough to sneak into the playoffs, but this team is about to start playing MUCH better hockey. I fully expect the Ducks to kick the Canucks heads in tomorrow night.

I'm not so optimistic. I mean, yeah he probably wants to avoid the "tank" because in the end, that reflects on him but there is absolutely no way they make the playoffs. I don't think giving them more rest will do anything really. They had plenty of time off during the All-Star break and still continued to flounder. Bob basically saying he's considering all options with trades, buyouts, ect. that could just backfire. 

11 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

Hopefully not. Embracing the tank is the only smart option at this point. I imagine he’s going to let the assistants do most of the in-game management and he’ll be observing most of the time. I do worry that the Ducks will play better simply since a weight has been lifted; they are too talented on paper to be among the worst in the league. It would be a shame to play well to end the season, miss the playoffs, and ruin draft position for almost nothing. 

If you believe both bolded statements are true, then the only way to really embrace the tank would be to get rid of talent. Its actually really hard to tank a talented roster (props to RC for figuring out a way!), so the logical question becomes: Who should GMHCBM get rid of to make the roster a lot less talented for the tanking effort?

• Like 1

I have a feeling that after tonight's game, IHCGMBM will promote one of the assistant coaches to take the reigns for the rest of the season.
It won't take him long to realize while standing there amongst the snot rockets and puddles of spit on the floor of the bench that life was much better (and def less gross) in the confines of his cozy luxury suite.

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you believe both bolded statements are true, then the only way to really embrace the tank would be to get rid of talent. Its actually really hard to tank a talented roster (props to RC for figuring out a way!), so the logical question becomes: Who should GMHCBM get rid of to make the roster a lot less talented for the tanking effort?

:huh::blink::wacko:

Uhhhhhhh

Errrrrrr

Is this a trick question?

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think that with the way that this team has been playing you don’t need to move anyone lol. Gibson being average or not in the lineup will make it highly likely that the Ducks are drafting in the top-5. I really hope they he’s perfectly able to play but that the Ducks are simply resting him. That would be somewhat of a tank move and also a smart long term move. Kase is done for the season, Silfverberg is likely getting traded so their horrible lack of offense is only going to lack even harder. There are talented pieces on the roster but they haven’t seemed to be cohesive enough to be good without stellar goaltending. The Ducks weren’t good last year and now that same group is back and older. Let nature run its course this season and then start making moves in the summer. 

Plus, the odds are against you even if you tank and get the worst record. 

Note: of course, as I write that, Elliott Friedman has reported that it’s looking optimistic that the Ducks and Silfverberg will agree to a new deal, term seems to be the sticking point. Kill me now.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

The talent ran the tanking operation to get rid of Carlyle.  It worked.

36 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that with the way that this team has been playing you don’t need to move anyone lol. Gibson being average or not in the lineup will make it highly likely that the Ducks are drafting in the top-5. I really hope they he’s perfectly able to play but that the Ducks are simply resting him. That would be somewhat of a tank move and also a smart long term move. Kase is done for the season, Silfverberg is likely getting traded so their horrible lack of offense is only going to lack even harder. There are talented pieces on the roster but they haven’t seemed to be cohesive enough to be good without stellar goaltending. The Ducks weren’t good last year and now that same group is back and older. Let nature run its course this season and then start making moves in the summer. 

Plus, the odds are against you even if you tank and get the worst record. 

Note: of course, as I write that, Elliott Friedman has reported that it’s looking optimistic that the Ducks and Silfverberg will agree to a new deal, term seems to be the sticking point. Kill me now.

44-25-13 for 101 points (+19 goal differential) and 2nd place in the division says they were good last year. They just weren't good enough to be a real contender, and certainly weren't better than San Jose.

Without RC (or if he'd been fired during the 12-game losing streak) this team probably would have been a 92-94 point team this year, even with injuries. As it stands, I think they'll rally for about 84 points (~14-7-5 the rest of the way) and miss the playoffs by 4-5 points. That should put them around 6th or 7th from the bottom, and still with a chance to draw into the top-3 through the lottery. Could be totally wrong, but that's my guess.

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

44-25-13 for 101 points (+19 goal differential) and 2nd place in the division says they were good last year. They just weren't good enough to be a real contender, and certainly weren't better than San Jose.

Without RC (or if he'd been fired during the 12-game losing streak) this team probably would have been a 92-94 point team this year, even with injuries. As it stands, I think they'll rally for about 84 points (~14-7-5 the rest of the way) and miss the playoffs by 4-5 points. That should put them around 6th or 7th from the bottom, and still with a chance to draw into the top-3 through the lottery. Could be totally wrong, but that's my guess.

I think their record from last season is a testament to how good Gibson was. He should have been a finalist for the Vezina and probably deserved to win it. Their team play was still below average in goal scoring, shots against etc.. Getting crushed by a mid-tier Sharks team should have been the wake up call that they weren’t nearly as good as their record indicated.

I think your assessment about where they’ll finish is pretty realistic as long as Gibson plays the majority of games down the stretch. If he doesn’t, then I’d put them closer to the top-5. 

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

We’ll see how it plays out, but it might have been smarter to keep Carlyle for the entire season. Gibson continuing to miss games should help. Maybe Miller will come back for a few games, show he’s healthy and accept a trade to a playoff contender. Might be smart to trade Silfverberg depending on what he wants per year on his next contract. 

Edited by Spencer_12

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Not too hard to tank even a talented team if that is truly what Bob wants to do. 1). Shelf Gibson (he’s already on IR so check) 2). Ice your lesser players against the other teams best lines. 3). Juggle and break up traditional lines who have been successful together and instead play players who are not a good match together 4) don’t contest goals against or those that were really goals 5). Goon it up and rack up penalty minutes so that you are always on the penalty kill 6). Have your best players out on the ice longer than usual and get them tired out 

I’m sure there is more 😀

17 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

We’ll see how it plays out, but it might have been smarter to keep Carlyle for the entire season. Gibson continuing to miss games should help. Maybe Miller will come back for a few games, show he’s healthy and accept a trade to a playoff contender. Might be smart to trade Silfverberg depending on what he wants per year on his next contract. 

I think what people have been saying about Carlyle's firing happening right when season seat renewal notices go out is valid.  It was already going to be a hard sell to raise prices when the team is that bad.  Now management can say that they're doing something and that next year will be different.  (It might not be BETTER, but at least it will be different.)  So yeah, tanking would have been easier with Carlyle, but the team was so awful and the management was (rightfully) so worried about the building being empty next season that their hand was forced.

20 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think what people have been saying about Carlyle's firing happening right when season seat renewal notices go out is valid.  It was already going to be a hard sell to raise prices when the team is that bad.  Now management can say that they're doing something and that next year will be different.  (It might not be BETTER, but at least it will be different.)  So yeah, tanking would have been easier with Carlyle, but the team was so awful and the management was (rightfully) so worried about the building being empty next season that their hand was forced.

If I was a season ticket holder I’d rather end the season with a top 3 pick and Carlyle being gone, rather than a worse pick and Carlyle being gone. If a lot of SSH’s were thinking, “Fire Carlyle now - not at the end of the season - or no more support regardless of what happens over the summer” then..well... that’s their right. It’s certainly not the pressure I’d want to put on the organization.

There’s very few on-ice benefits I can think of for firing Carlyle when they did. About the only thing I can think of is Murray will have a better idea of the locker room since he’ll be in there daily. The hope is that will help him make better decisions when making the roster for next year. I’m skeptical on that being a necessary trade-off for the Ducks getting a lower 1st round pick if that ends up being what happens.

Edited by Spencer_12

3 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

If I was a season ticket holder I’d rather end the season with a top 3 pick and Carlyle being gone, rather than a worse pick and Carlyle being gone. If a lot of SSH’s were thinking, “Fire Carlyle now - not at the end of the season - or no more support regardless of what happens over the summer” then..well... that’s their right. It’s certainly not the pressure I’d want to put on the organization.

There’s very few on-ice benefits I can think of for firing Carlyle when they did. About the only thing I can think of is Murray will have a better idea of the locker room since he’ll be in there daily. The hope is that will help him make better decisions when making the roster for next year. I’m skeptical on that being a necessary trade-off for the Ducks getting a lower 1st round pick if that ends up being what happens.

I think in addition to the sales aspect of things...there is the worry of players not stepping up and needing to know why/be in the trenches to see what is going on to see wha tto do before the trade deadline -- if anything. I think it all played a factor. I think Bob may have felt there was some missing communication from the locker room to him. It probably happened now due to season ticket sales possibly going down...but also just the rest of the season ticket sales...as opposed to it happening in the off-season or after the trade deadline or whatever.

4 hours ago, wataduk said:

I have a feeling that after tonight's game, IHCGMBM will promote one of the assistant coaches to take the reigns for the rest of the season.
It won't take him long to realize while standing there amongst the snot rockets and puddles of spit on the floor of the bench that life was much better (and def less gross) in the confines of his cozy luxury suite.

After the trade deadline is more likely.  

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I’m not so sure firing RC even makes a difference. I’ll bet season renewals drop 15%.  Lots of things have been poorly handled.  The whole Cogs debacle was an embarassment.  

25 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I’m not so sure firing RC even makes a difference. I’ll bet season renewals drop 15%.  Lots of things have been poorly handled.  The whole Cogs debacle was an embarassment.  

I don't disagree.  I'm just speculating as to what the team might have been thinking.

I know everyone is on the Lose4Hughes/Crappo4Kappo thing. But I'm just going to throw out sometimes drafting at the sixth pick is not the worst thing in the world.

2012 NHL Entry Draft:

1) Nail Yakupov (f' the Oilers)

2) Ryan Murray

3) Alex Galchenyuk

4) Griffin Reihart

5) Morgan Reilly

6) Hampus Lindholm

Kinda want to say the Ducks stole that drat and ran away laughing.

I also have no idea what this draft looks like though. I've heard "OMGDEEPDRAFT" to everything sucks excpet the top 3.

13 minutes ago, poum said:

I know everyone is on the Lose4Hughes/Crappo4Kappo thing. But I'm just going to throw out sometimes drafting at the sixth pick is not the worst thing in the world.

2012 NHL Entry Draft:

1) Nail Yakupov (f' the Oilers)

2) Ryan Murray

3) Alex Galchenyuk

4) Griffin Reihart

5) Morgan Reilly

6) Hampus Lindholm

Kinda want to say the Ducks stole that drat and ran away laughing.

I also have no idea what this draft looks like though. I've heard "OMGDEEPDRAFT" to everything sucks excpet the top 3.

Other than just reading scouting reports and watching you tube videos, I can't say that I have an "expert opinion" (lol) but it kind of looks like a lot of centers are under 6' tall, not too many defensemen and it looks like just about all the Americans are committed to college including Hughes. I think with the players that are coming out now, you can't really lose.

33 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Other than just reading scouting reports and watching you tube videos, I can't say that I have an "expert opinion" (lol) but it kind of looks like a lot of centers are under 6' tall, not too many defensemen and it looks like just about all the Americans are committed to college including Hughes. I think with the players that are coming out now, you can't really lose.

Hahahaha, in now way does "college" cause a panic attack. Obligatory F-U Jultz.

47 minutes ago, poum said:

Hahahaha, in now way does "college" cause a panic attack. Obligatory F-U Jultz.

Hey, I was on pins and needles with Troy Terry signing with us. Shultz makes me want to draft a Russian. In Hughes case it's not like whatever team picks him gets him right away. Maybe 3 to 4 years later or however long he decides to stay in college. 

55 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Hey, I was on pins and needles with Troy Terry signing with us. Shultz makes me want to draft a Russian. In Hughes case it's not like whatever team picks him gets him right away. Maybe 3 to 4 years later or however long he decides to stay in college. 

So what your saying is, if the team sucks enough and the lottery is in our favour, Kakko is the guy. As he already plays in the big boy League in Finland. Basically someone who can impact the Ducks next season.

I didn't know about Hughes and college till your post. I want nothing to do with that situation again till the NHL closes that stupid loophole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poum said:

So what your saying is, if the team sucks enough and the lottery is in our favour, Kakko is the guy. As he already plays in the big boy League in Finland. Basically someone who can impact the Ducks next season.

I didn't know about Hughes and college till your post. I want nothing to do with that situation again till the NHL closes that stupid loophole.

Even if Hughes wasn't going to college, I would still pick Kakko for the reasons you listed. Hughes has the offensive skills but he's not big on playing defense. He's 5' 10" and weighs something in the 160's. One big hit from an NHL player and....we might have another Despres. I think he's built more for the Eastern Conference than the Western Conference.

Edited by perry_mvp

1 hour ago, poum said:

Besides Justin Schulz wasn't there another recent player who did the same thing? I don't understand the owners allowing that loophole to continue.

If nothing else, have the drafting team's rights to the drafted player  be held in stasis until the player graduates college. THEN start the clock.