twointhecrowd

Suggestions

53 posts in this topic

A couple of suggestions that just maybe, might put THIS team back on the winning tracks:

!. Power Play: keep Getzlaf and Fowler on the bench. Getzlaf has made himself the human turnover machine, 99% of the time he has the puck, he either loses it, passes it to no one or to the opponents' sticks. Getzlaf may be the team leader, but he is also the team's biggest screw up. On the PP, everyone looks for Getzlaf instead of looking for the open man. He is more of a distraction to the PP. 

Fowler is a complete indecisive mess on the PP.  If he doesn't find Getzlaf, he comes unglued and loses the puck.  There's also the self invented "Fowler Theory":   never, ever, pass or shoot the puck unless there is a defender standing in front of you.

The tv announcers have said many times: "The second PP unit is playing much better than the #1 unit.

2. Send Gibson to the eye doctor. This guy needs glasses. How does he miss so many shots when there is no one in front him, especially on his blocker side?  Why is it so difficult for him to find the puck when it's right in front of him?   Perhaps all of those shots to his head have affected his vision,  As tv analyst Brian Hayward has said many times:   He has never seen a goalie take so many shots to the head as Gibson does.

Edited by twointhecrowd
2 people like this

1 hour ago, twointhecrowd said:

Send Gibson to the eye doctor.

It's more like the defensemen need to be sent to the eye doctor. They can't seem to pick up opposing players, clear pucks, and pass pucks out of the d zone. If they do pass it out of the d zone then whatever forward passes it back into the d zone. Have you watched any games this season? His team is hanging him out to dry especially on two on one breakaways. His coach is hanging him out to dry. His GM is hanging him out to dry.

3 people like this

Was talking to a former MLB player and his suggestion ( from the coach ) was to have the team go out and get s**t faced drunk and then go out and play as if you were a kid!!

Said it worked for him and his team.:wacko::P

1 person likes this

1. We play Getzlaf and Fowler on PP, because our genius GM assembled this team such a way that  we don't have much talent to choose from. Who do you play on PP otherwise? Rowney? Gibbons? Holzer? Or maybe Kesler will make a difference and finally will score a goal once in a lifetime?

2. Gibson is a good goalie but way overrated; he is in the top 15 in the league, but definitely not an All-Star. 

3. Who really needs some glasses is Fowler. If he is our "best defenseman", then I don't see the Ducks improving any time soon.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Was talking to a former MLB player and his suggestion ( from the coach ) was to have the team go out and get s**t faced drunk and then go out and play as if you were a kid!!

🤔🤭

If I’m not mistaken, the guys have been playing like they’re already a bottle of booze deep when they step on the ice! Fowler’s making cocktails in the defensive zone and Ritchies chasing Olives around the ice!

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

1. We play Getzlaf and Fowler on PP, because our genius GM assembled this team such a way that  we don't have much talent to choose from. Who do you play on PP otherwise? Rowney? Gibbons? Holzer? Or maybe Kesler will make a difference and finally will score a goal once in a lifetime?

2. Gibson is a good goalie but way overrated; he is in the top 15 in the league, but definitely not an All-Star. 

3. Who really needs some glasses is Fowler. If he is our "best defenseman", then I don't see the Ducks improving any time soon.

I tried not to let the proverbial trigger in my head get pulled but I couldn’t help it. 

Gibson by far has been the best player on our team for at least the last 2 seasons. Kid puts in A+ effort night in and night out, and has won/kept us in more games than I can even count. 

Ice a decent or even mildly above average defense in front of him, and some forwards who can put the puck in the net 2 or 3 times a night and you’d see the results. Overrated is not the word I’d use pal.

6 people like this

21 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

I tried not to let the proverbial trigger in my head get pulled but I couldn’t help it. 

Gibson by far has been the best player on our team for at least the last 2 seasons. Kid puts in A+ effort night in and night out, and has won/kept us in more games than I can even count. 

Ice a decent or even mildly above average defense in front of him, and some forwards who can put the puck in the net 2 or 3 times a night and you’d see the results. Overrated is not the word I’d use pal.

Yes, I will second this.  Gibson, despite giving up scads of goals in the last few games, deserves the Vezina, hands down.  He's facing the most shots, the most high danger shots, and has terrible defense in front of him.  With a different goalie, the Ducks would be firmly in last place.  So I guess if you're bitter at Gibson for ruining the Ducks chances for the top lottery spot, that's fair.  Otherwise, take your scorn elsewhere.

2 people like this

1. Power play : It will suck no matter who is on it. Once the puck is cleared down the ice it is essentially over from that point on. Why? because they are unimaginative in finding a way to carry the puck back into the zone and maintain possession of the puck...this team has to dump and chase on the pp. Its unbelievable how time after time on the attempted zone entry there are 4 Ducks standing at the blue line and the puck carrier slowly skates up the middle of the ice then softly dumps the puck in and the PK easily gets to the puck first and clears it back out. CHANGE THE DAMN ENTRY AND YOU IMPROVE YOUR PP...if you are bringing the puck back out of your zone have two players at the opponents blue line (this keeps at least two or three defenders out of the neutral zone) have three skaters WITH SPEED attack through the neutral zone giving two passing options (left or right) depending on how the D is defending...if there are no passing options then you can dump the puck in and you have at least three players attacking WITH SPEED to either get to the the puck first or at least out number the D increasing the odds of winning a puck battle and proceed with puck possession. 

2. Gibbys eyes are fine. His blood pressure...thats another issue.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Just curious, what goalies do you think are definitely better than Gibson? I’d love for you to make a case for three let alone 10-15.

Aside from arguably McDavid, no player in the league is more valuable to his team than John Gibson is. The Ducks have absolutely ruined him this season and will cost him the Vezina and the Hart. He’s the best goalie in the game and has single handedly kept the Ducks in a playoff race during one of the most atrocious seasons of hockey that a team could play. It shouldn’t be a shock that he can’t continually put a %930 SP while facing close to 40 shots per game as it gets deeper into the season while the team and management increase the level of suck to new heights.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Oh boy. That’s prob because baseball players are one of the least active as far as cardio goes. The playerss moving anywhere or something is the guy who is pitching, the hitter and the guy in the outfield who is running to catch the ball. Other than that most everyone is just standing around or sitting.  

Edited by RobD360

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Grant?  Dotchin?  Street?  Shore?  Cracknell?  Del Zotto?  Sherwood?  Kloos?  I mean look at that list of players!  That is why we are where we are right now.  Carlyle needs to go but how is this on RC?

Edited by WolfgangDuck

undies.  firmly bunched.  cutting off blood flow to the thinking parts, somehow.

Our team is NOT going to make the playoffs this year so those that have hope of that are only kidding yourselves.  We need a re-build which is presently hard to do given the contracts we have with the big 3.  The big 3 are only going to regress as each year passes.  So here's a wishful thinking on my part for a suggestion:

1.  Lose for Hughes (although does anybody think we'd win a lottery if Chicago was in that lottery, lol, no friggin way)

2.  Dung can BM regardless of the recent extension

3.  Dung can Carlyle

4.  Offer Teemu the GM job (we're in a re-build anyway)

5.  Hire coach, open to anyone that would fit our new GM's game plan

Again....wishful thinking.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, twointhecrowd said:

A couple of suggestions that just maybe, might put THIS team back on the winning tracks:

!. Power Play: keep Getzlaf and Fowler on the bench. Getzlaf has made himself the human turnover machine, 99% of the time he has the puck, he either loses it, passes it to no one or to the opponents' sticks. Getzlaf may be the team leader, but he is also the team's biggest screw up. On the PP, everyone looks for Getzlaf instead of looking for the open man. He is more of a distraction to the PP. 

Fowler is a complete indecisive mess on the PP.  If he doesn't find Getzlaf, he comes unglued and loses the puck.  There's also the self invented "Fowler Theory":   never, ever, pass or shoot the puck unless there is a defender standing in front of you.

The tv announcers have said many times: "The second PP unit is playing much better than the #1 unit.

2. Send Gibson to the eye doctor. This guy needs glasses. How does he miss so many shots when there is no one in front him, especially on his blocker side?  Why is it so difficult for him to find the puck when it's right in front of him?   Perhaps all of those shots to his head have affected his vision,  As tv analyst Brian Hayward has said many times:   He has never seen a goalie take so many shots to the head as Gibson does.

You are 50/50 bro.  Really you could do LITERALLY anything different on the power play just to see if something happens lol. I mean just about anything would be better just to see what happens. Anything short of Gibson at the point - wait no that would at least be entertaining to watch and see the other teams reaction. 

As for Gibson - Are you freaking serious?? I'm not even going to say anything because you are just seeing something that isn't even 1% understandable. The guy is a freaking stud and been bombed more than Iraq. He is the sole sole sole reason we are not in dead last with a very distant 2nd to last. Don't bother arguing with anyone on here about Gibson needing to up his game because no one sees it (because it's not there).  No offense to you but there is a branch of hockey fans that seems to always blame the goalie and apparently you are in it. No big deal, but honestly Gibson is one of the few people that doesn't have problems on this dumpster fire team. You should be thanking God he's here right now.

Im with you on the PP though, spot on there. 

1 person likes this

I don’t have a solution, but since we seem to have lost goal scoring ability,

teams can pressure us on the pp and due to our lack of ability to move, pass or receive passes under pressure, we will usually cough up the puck.  Dumping it in on the pp I can’t even talk about.

in our own zone, same thing.  Any pressure and we unravel.  It’s like our team lacks the fundamentals to make quick,effective passes.  Any consistent forecheck and we get hemmed in.  Whipping it around the boards every single time a defenseman is under pressure is so easily anticipated now it’s comical.  If one of our guys is under pressure, our opponents have figured out to have a player move down the opposite side boards and to hold the line on the same side.  We just bash the puck right to the opponent so often it’s maddening.

there is little chance of us beating a team that gives constant effort and pressure...we just fold

57 minutes ago, Fisix said:

undies.  firmly bunched.  cutting off blood flow to the thinking parts, somehow.

Someone has a underwear fetish...this is your second post of similar thoughts.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, fatgoalie-ad1 said:

I don’t have a solution, but since we seem to have lost goal scoring ability,

teams can pressure us on the pp and due to our lack of ability to move, pass or receive passes under pressure, we will usually cough up the puck.  Dumping it in on the pp I can’t even talk about.

in our own zone, same thing.  Any pressure and we unravel.  It’s like our team lacks the fundamentals to make quick,effective passes.  Any consistent forecheck and we get hemmed in.  Whipping it around the boards every single time a defenseman is under pressure is so easily anticipated now it’s comical.  If one of our guys is under pressure, our opponents have figured out to have a player move down the opposite side boards and to hold the line on the same side.  We just bash the puck right to the opponent so often it’s maddening.

there is little chance of us beating a team that gives constant effort and pressure...we just fold

There is no solution to this season just like there wasn’t one last season. Now, it’s all about preserving Gibson and hopefully getting a very high pick and building towards the future. The irony is that if you would have said at the beginning of the season that the Ducks would be 3 points out of a playoff spot at this juncture, it would be pretty much right in line with where most people expect them to be. 

1 person likes this

I see this team is result of stubborn Ignorance of 2 people...Bob Murray and Randy Carlyle. IF they understand realize Flaws our Ducks had we may not be in this place where we were now....yet it is what it is.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 people like this

5 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Our team is NOT going to make the playoffs this year so those that have hope of that are only kidding yourselves.  We need a re-build which is presently hard to do given the contracts we have with the big 3.  The big 3 are only going to regress as each year passes.  So here's a wishful thinking on my part for a suggestion:

1.  Lose for Hughes (although does anybody think we'd win a lottery if Chicago was in that lottery, lol, no friggin way)

2.  Dung can BM regardless of the recent extension

3.  Dung can Carlyle

4.  Offer Teemu the GM job (we're in a re-build anyway)

5.  Hire coach, open to anyone that would fit our new GM's game plan

Again....wishful thinking.

I would love Teemu to be the GM just to see what he could do to the " old guard ". He is probably having too much fun with golf, his kids and his automobiles -  BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM IN THAT POSITION !!!!

27 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

I would love Teemu to be the GM just to see what he could do to the " old guard ". He is probably having too much fun with golf, his kids and his automobiles -  BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM IN THAT POSITION !!!!

Plus Selanne Steakhouse and his new place that's scheduled to open. His kids are playing hockey. No way is he interested in the GM position.

13 hours ago, dukitup said:

Plus Selanne Steakhouse and his new place that's scheduled to open. His kids are playing hockey. No way is he interested in the GM position.

I know but I can dream !!!!

Suggestion: Fire Wilford and Morrison and bring in some assistant coaches that seem to know how to create a defensive system that works and a special teams unit that knows what to do.

We're not losing RC...as someone pointed out a while ago that it probably has something to do with him getting that management job or whatever during the off-season. So...I'm trying to think more realistically.

I'm all for tanking to get a high pick at this point if we do nothing...but I'm NOT ok with NOT being sellers at the trade deadline...and I'm also NOT ok with our younger players forming bad habits and developing poorly. Probably why all of our rookies aren't on the team right now. Don't let them get involved with this mess. But I am a bit worried about Manson, Fowler, Lindholm, and Montour...all 4 of those can be great and have shown how great they can be literally like...a year ago.

Edited by Jasoaks

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Suggestion: Fire Wilford and Morrison and bring in some assistant coaches that seem to know how to create a defensive system that works and a special teams unit that knows what to do.

We're not losing RC...as someone pointed out a while ago that it probably has something to do with him getting that management job or whatever during the off-season. So...I'm trying to think more realistically.

I'm all for tanking to get a high pick at this point if we do nothing...but I'm NOT ok with NOT being sellers at the trade deadline...and I'm also NOT ok with our younger players forming bad habits and developing poorly. Probably why all of our rookies aren't on the team right now. Don't let them get involved with this mess. But I am a bit worried about Manson, Fowler, Lindholm, and Montour...all 4 of those can be great and have shown how great they can be literally like...a year ago.

They are going to be sellers but to what degree aside from trading Silfverberg. Murray is allegedly listening on offers on every one but any other big trade can wait until the offseason. The turnovers and god awful net front coverage has only gotten worse. They weren’t good last season either. The defense has some talent but it’s clearly not gelling together, let alone under whatever Carlyle calls a system. Something will give before training camp even though I’d like to see if a new coach could get improve the group first. It’s crazy how fast a team can fall off (see: 2017 Ottawa Senators).

With the Ducks pretty much healthy now, the rookies will be playing in SD which is the best move. They can make a run for the Calder Cup. It’s one of the only non-dumb things that Murray has done.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

1. I think we need to have a major roster shake up at the deadline. Trade: Silf, Fowler, Ritchie and Miller. Trade or demote to the Gulls: Gibbons, MDZ, Holzer and Grant. Then bring up as many kids from San Diego as possible prior to the Feb 27th game against Chicago to play the last month of the season. The Gulls are currently 3rd in their division, 5 points clear of 5th place Colorado, and considering how well they've been playing they should be even further clear by Feb 27th (8 games between now and then) meaning that their absence shouldn't cost the Gulls a playoff spot. Next, between the Feb 25th deadline and the end of the season (April 5th), we play as many of them as we can and put them in all situations, from top-PP unit to 3-on-3 OT to 6-on-5 with the goalie pulled at the end of the game. Let them even play together as lines and D-pairs at the NHL level. Then once the Ducks season is (mercifully) over, send them back to San Diego and let them play the last 3 games of their AHL season and the Calder Cup playoffs.

2. Fire Carlyle.

3. Bring in Adam Oates as interim head coach. He's currently a consultant with the Kings (signed on when Stevens was fired) but I'm sure is available for a head coaching job. Would also be a nice touch for the 25th anniversary to have Oatesy come back, and he's also known more as a teacher rather than a hard-a$$, which may not work so much with the vets but would be great for the kids.

For the month of March, we roll with:

Raks-Getz-Pears

Shore-Rico-Sprong

Jones-Steel-Terry

Sherwood/Eaves-Kesler-Rowney

Lindholm-Manson

Megna-Monty 

Larsson-Welinski (or veteran defender acquired in trade)

Even split the starts for Johnson and Gibson for the remainder of the season.

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

1. I think we need to have a major roster shake up at the deadline. Trade: Silf, Fowler, Ritchie and Miller. Trade or demote to the Gulls: Gibbons, MDZ, Holzer and Grant. Then bring up as many kids from San Diego as possible prior to the Feb 27th game against Chicago to play the last month of the season. The Gulls are currently 3rd in their division, 5 points clear of 5th place Colorado, and considering how well they've been playing they should be even further clear by Feb 27th (8 games between now and then) meaning that their absence shouldn't cost the Gulls a playoff spot. Next, between the Feb 25th deadline and the end of the season (April 5th), we play as many of them as we can and put them in all situations, from top-PP unit to 3-on-3 OT to 6-on-5 with the goalie pulled at the end of the game. Let them even play together as lines and D-pairs at the NHL level. Then once the Ducks season is (mercifully) over, send them back to San Diego and let them play the last 3 games of their AHL season and the Calder Cup playoffs.

2. Fire Carlyle.

3. Bring in Adam Oates as interim head coach. He's currently a consultant with the Kings (signed on when Stevens was fired) but I'm sure is available for a head coaching job. Would also be a nice touch for the 25th anniversary to have Oatesy come back, and he's also known more as a teacher rather than a hard-a$$, which may not work so much with the vets but would be great for the kids.

Raks-Getz-Pears

Shore-Rico-Sprong

Jones-Steel-Terry

Lindholm-Manson

Megna-Monty 

Aside from moving Silfverberg, I don’t think that the Ducks should necessarily make a major shakeup this season, since they aren’t going to fire Carlyle. The window to have fired him and then bring in someone else with a different philosophy and see how the team responds is closed. Making a major trade to help a lame duck coach, for a team that has no chance of contending and by a GM whom I’ve lost faith in worries me lol.

Plus, if huge changes are made this year, and the team then improves enough to limp into the playoffs only to get San Jose’d again then the team is going to miss out on a much higher draft pick that is far more valuable in the long term. It would be Groundhog Day again, but much worse...we’d have still have Bob Murray instead Bill Murray.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

2. Fire Carlyle.

Raks-Getz-Pears

Shore-Rico-Sprong

Jones-Steel-Terry

Lindholm-Manson

Megna-Monty 

The Gulls players are not the answer. I don't understand this desire to bring up AHL players before they are ready. 

Leave the kids in San Diego. Exposing them to this losing culture and terrible system is a horrible idea. And it is not going to salvage this season. 

Trading Fowler is also a dumb idea. He's the best puck handler and skater the defense has. 

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

They are going to be sellers but to what degree aside from trading Silfverberg. Murray is allegedly listening on offers on every one but any other big trade can wait until the offseason. The turnovers and god awful net front coverage has only gotten worse. They weren’t good last season either. The defense has some talent but it’s clearly not gelling together, let alone under whatever Carlyle calls a system. Something will give before training camp even though I’d like to see if a new coach could get improve the group first. It’s crazy how fast a team can fall off (see: 2017 Ottawa Senators).

With the Ducks pretty much healthy now, the rookies will be playing in SD which is the best move. They can make a run for the Calder Cup. It’s one of the only non-dumb things that Murray has done.

I agree that it's the best move for the team to keep the rookies down south. I do think the defense was better last season. Although, not as good as the year before it. Timing is everything in this world. It's possible that Fowler being healthy in San Jose series we move on. He's a big guy to miss. It's also possible that the momentum of losing as grown so big this past month 1/2 that Fowler/Perry/Eaves coming back can't stop it. Healthier team in the front of the season could have made a difference --...no. no it wouldn't have lol....i take that back. i've changed my mind lol

We need a better defensive coach.

I also agree that any major move will happen in the off season. Makes the most sense.

I predict Miller is traded either way. Silf is traded if they can't get a contract extension signed. Besides that...probably nothing major.

Edited by Jasoaks

9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I agree that it's the best move for the team to keep the rookies down south. I do think the defense was better last season. Although, not as good as the year before it. Timing is everything in this world. It's possible that Fowler being healthy in San Jose series we move on. He's a big guy to miss. It's also possible that the momentum of losing as grown so big this past month 1/2 that Fowler/Perry/Eaves coming back can't stop it. Healthier team in the front of the season could have made a difference --...no. no it wouldn't have lol....i take that back. i've changed my mind lol

We need a better defensive coach.

I also agree that any major move will happen in the off season. Makes the most sense.

I predict Miller is traded either way. Silf is traded if they can't get a contract extension signed. Besides that...probably nothing major.

I think that San Jose still wins that series convincingly even with Fowler healthy (maybe in 5 instead of 4). He’s good, but he’s not a defenseman that can control a game like a Karlsson, Hedman or a Pronger back in the day. That series was a systematic dismantling that there was no stopping lol. The Ducks are very healthy right now and are just as awful. Defensively, they are worse than last year but even then they were very still very bad but Gibson just covered up a lot of the ugliness.

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

The Gulls players are not the answer. I don't understand this desire to bring up AHL players before they are ready. 

Leave the kids in San Diego. Exposing them to this losing culture and terrible system is a horrible idea. And it is not going to salvage this season. 

Trading Fowler is also a dumb idea. He's the best puck handler and skater the defense has. 

100% this.  Even if the Ducks fire Carlyle (which is not going to happen), the locker room must be toxic with defeatism right now.  Yes, these guys are professionals, but none of them have gone through a season like this.  I don't want the kids having any more exposure to that than necessary.  Let them get confidence in the AHL, try for a championship down there, and then start fresh with a new system and culture next season.  I don't want any of them getting more of a taste of the crapfest this season has been than is necessary.

But if the Ducks don't fire Carlyle, and I expect they won't, then it's a no brainer to leave them down.  They're going to be learning a totally different system next year anyway.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

100% this.  Even if the Ducks fire Carlyle (which is not going to happen), the locker room must be toxic with defeatism right now.  Yes, these guys are professionals, but none of them have gone through a season like this.  I don't want the kids having any more exposure to that than necessary.  Let them get confidence in the AHL, try for a championship down there, and then start fresh with a new system and culture next season.  I don't want any of them getting more of a taste of the crapfest this season has been than is necessary.

But if the Ducks don't fire Carlyle, and I expect they won't, then it's a no brainer to leave them down.  They're going to be learning a totally different system next year anyway.

Your have good Patience mine is wearing thin on RC.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck