The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
FanSince1993

Lack of Communication with the Fans

Interesting article posted here. Anybody will ever talk to the fans on what's going on with this team? Bob Murray? Michael Schulman? Samuelis? Anybody?

https://www.anaheimcalling.com/2019/2/8/18216678/communication-ducks-fanbase-led-rising-anger-murray-carlyle-anaheim-kings-la-rebuild-retool-tank

Edited by FanSince1993

They aren’t telling the fans because there is no plan. The idea was to retool on the fly with the mix of Bertrand and young guys. But the veterans are a shell of themselves, kesler and Perry, and the young guys are MIA. 

This plan has obviously failed, so where does it go now? New coach for one. New GM too? Can’t trade the old guys because of all the money they’re owed and they’re too old. Not to mention the BM special- no trade clause

Murray has already said he isn't firing Carlyle. So what about canning the assistant coaches? Other than that what is this big shakeup that everyone wants? Trade Silfverberg, Fowler? trading any of the four core dmen would be foolish. They will all bounce back in the future.

If anything trade some of the Gulls(Sherwood,Jones,Comtois, Megna) for a couple of effective shut down dmen that know how to hit and clear the front of the net..It's no coincidence that Fowler,Lindholm,Montour, and Manson are having a terrible year right after Bieksa and Beauchemin retire.Those veterans  were the ones providing the grit. Manson is capable but he's the only one.

The ones they need to be traded are Eaves, Perry and Kesler. Two of them cannot be moved and nobody wants Eaves. Those are the players who are not performing.(yes I know Perry just got back from injury but look as his past two seasons)

So really the only thing that can fix the team is time (for the contracts to expire) or some buyouts. I expect the next three seasons to be more of what we are seeing right now.

If any it should be Slif who should be the only one who gets traded. We need to see how this team can really play under a new coach. We shouldn’t make any rash trades to foolishly try to salvage this lost season. 

• Like 2

Don't worry, I'm sure Murray will put out another bogus statement absolving himself and Carlyle of any responsibility for this disaster once the Ducks yet again find themselves in a 10 game losing streak. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

They'll communicate with the fans once they get back to Honda Center for the remaining games, and see that the arena is 1/2 empty.

True. Only lost  amount of $XX,000,000 will make ownership to do something about current situation of this team.

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

True. Only lost  amount of $XX,000,000 will make ownership to do something about current situation of this team.

I'm only $2000, but I opted out of next season officially yesterday.  Wonder how many will.

• Like 4

The article states it pretty well in that when you don’t communicate or level with the fan base then they’ll assume the worst and have no faith that current management can fix the problem. It gives off the impression that they don’t give a **** about the fans who fund the organization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I'm only $2000, but I opted out of next season officially yesterday.  Wonder how many will.

Make sure you get a confirmation, since officially the opt-out doesn’t begin until February 12th.  What I found annoying is the cost of my season seat rose by nine percent (9%).  That not a good tactic for a team that is going to be a bottom feeder for the next three years.   I am seriously contemplating opting out as well.  

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Make sure you get a confirmation, since officially the opt-out doesn’t begin until February 12th.  What I found distrubing is the cost of my season seat rose by nine percent (9%).  That not a good tactic for a team that is going to be a bottom feeder for the next three years.   I am seriously contemplating opting out as well.  

I agree. The tone deafness of management is somehow worse than the on-ice product. But, if I can be optimistic, the Ducks are going to go through major changes before next season. New coach plus getting a Hughes, Kakko, or even Dach/Cozens would also bring in a must watch offensive player for the fans to get excited about again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Make sure you get a confirmation, since officially the opt-out doesn’t begin until February 12th.  What I found annoying is the cost of my season seat rose by nine percent (9%).  That not a good tactic for a team that is going to be a bottom feeder for the next three years.   I am seriously contemplating opting out as well.  

Mine, too, and I cited that as one of my reasons.  Kristen called me to review my email and confirm I want to leave.  She had a few company lines regarding Shore being cheaper and younger, Carlyle having the office position in his contract, etc.  

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Mine, too, and I cited that as one of my reasons.  Kristen called me to review my email and confirm I want to leave.  She had a few company lines regarding Shore being cheaper and younger, Carlyle having the office position in his contract, etc.  

Can't wait for this to happen and to see how everyone reacts lol

15 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I would have probably renewed except for the ridiculous price increase.  Not to mention, the volume of opposing fans is a huge detractor.  Should I decide to opt-out, I can attend Gulls, Reign, and Ducks games as my schedule allows.  All are within reasonable driving distance.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Can't wait for this to happen and to see how everyone reacts lol

The team isn’t bad because of Carlyle.  The players are slow, old, injured, and what have you, and not suited to playing a speed game.  

2021-22 should be time for the problems to clear out.

Just now, Fowl said:

The team isn’t bad because of Carlyle.  The players are slow, old, injured, and what have you, and not suited to playing a speed game.  

2021-22 should be time for the problems to clear out.

Agree. Carlyle is still a big problem and shouldn’t be coach but the roster is a much bigger issue and that is on Murray. If all goes right, the Ducks could make some nice strides next year and then be a lot of fun in 2-3 years.

• Like 1

What contributes to the lack of communication is an average, at best, coverage of this team by Ducks staff writers, especially Eric Stephens. What I read from his articles is starting lines, injury reports, main events of the game and some post-game quotes to the media. That's it. I can read it from any other hockey related website. I remember Dan Wood before him, somehow he was able to organize interviews with then managers Brian Murray and Brian Burke, I remember he even interviewed Samuelis, and before them, Disney operatives. I mean we, as fans, expect our hockey writers to cover this team beyond one particular game. We want to see team's vision, ownership plans for the future, staff like this. I wonder if Eric would cover Canadian team, how long he would last with his casual reports?

Crazy... am I the only optimistic one who thinks next year with a new coach, revival of our D and a decent infusion of good forward youth talent to mix with our vets (not to mention Gibson) and we could be back in the PO starting as early as next season? I don’t get the gloom and doom. Sure Kess will be bad but we can put him on the 3rd or 4th. Perry can slide into a lower line (away from Kess) and then there is a Eaves who honestly I think could very well be done and might even retire as I am starting to suspect he has got something really really bad.... that leaves us with the rest who are still young and good. 

21 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

What contributes to the lack of communication is an average, at best, coverage of this team by Ducks staff writers, especially Eric Stephens. What I read from his articles is starting lines, injury reports, main events of the game and some post-game quotes to the media. That's it. I can read it from any other hockey related website. I remember Dan Wood before him, somehow he was able to organize interviews with then managers Brian Murray and Brian Burke, I remember he even interviewed Samuelis, and before them, Disney operatives. I mean we, as fans, expect our hockey writers to cover this team beyond one particular game. We want to see team's vision, ownership plans for the future, staff like this. I wonder if Eric would cover Canadian team, how long he would last with his casual reports?

Eric Stephens does decent work.  It’s grasping at straws to blame the hockey beat writer for the team’s communication issues.  If you want better coverage subscribe to THE ATHLETIC.  It costs money.  You get what you pay for.  

https://theathletic.com/

Edited by Fowl

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Since many of the writers have moved to The Athletic (paid subscription), we don't see as much coverage of the Ducks. 

3 hours ago, gotchabari said:

That doesn't explain nor does it give fans confidence with BM keeping him throughout this train wreck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Crazy... am I the only optimistic one who thinks next year with a new coach, revival of our D and a decent infusion of good forward youth talent to mix with our vets (not to mention Gibson) and we could be back in the PO starting as early as next season? I don’t get the gloom and doom. Sure Kess will be bad but we can put him on the 3rd or 4th. Perry can slide into a lower line (away from Kess) and then there is a Eaves who honestly I think could very well be done and might even retire as I am starting to suspect he has got something really really bad.... that leaves us with the rest who are still young and good. 

Nope. There is going to be much more optimism going into next season unlike this one. New coach, a top pick, a shakeup trade and the potential of Steel, Terry, Jones and Mahura being regulars will give us something to be excited about.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

No, you're not the only one.  Despite pulling my financial support and kind of tuning out for a while, I think our roster isn't as bad as the current performance and our future roster can grow to even better.  We're not a Stanley Cup roster, but this team should make the playoffs and maybe even win the first round with a good system/coach.

However, I have serious issues with the character displayed in handling multiple situations throughout this period, from lack of communication to lack of action to taking certain actions at poor times (like Cogs... even if you can justify the business end of the deal, it should have been done differently).  I also still carry a grudge against Henry for not publicly standing up for Cogs last year, despite claims that he fought behind closed doors.  That was worth taking fines for, and he didn't.  Lack of character, IMO.

Hopefully I'll get back to the point of watching on TV with great interest and excitement as a fan, even though at the present I'm shell-shocked and dismayed.  But as far as paying for it?  Not right now.  Maybe I'll be back in a few years, but I actually feel morally obligated to quit.  And yes, I know that sounds dramatic, but it's the way it is striking me.  I gave it a full month and it didn't change, although my language softened.

I guess I can join in the chorus of the cliched statement at trade time... "It's a business decision."  

• Like 2

Injuries,Lack of Communication,Inconsistencies,Randy Carlyle,Player Accountability...OH My. What can we do bout point the finger at this and that. I am going to say this right now....I NEVER would imagine THIS TEAM...OUR DUCKS TO FALL THIS FAST...This 2nd half has been implosion that must of us never expect it...Please DO NOT TRY to Correct me I KNOW some of you have your differences with me. BUT Bob Murray should owe Ducks Season Ticket Holders explanation and perhaps Apology....Hiring  back Randy Carlyle should never happen yet it did. Also we Need to look at what to do with the Big 3....Getzlaf,Perry and Kesler. Look I have read debates on those 3. I know how some feel bout those 3.....In 2 to 4 years time is going to come when we need to talk about What needs to be done......Ducks have horde of young Ducks in the Wings and  to ensure...development of  Young Guns is complete...Trades YES You got TRADES need to be involve in order for the Ducks to Bounce Back in Big way........Communication is the Key to ANY SPORTS Team success...Winning breeds success and sooner Samuelis need to put their foot down cause this season is debacle that NEEDS to be Salvaged.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Wont get a dime from me until BM and RC are no longer employed by the Anaheim Ducks. This season is a product of the poor decision making from the entire front office and i'm not about to spend my hard earned money on this blind leading the blind mentality. What type of business model guarantees a kush front office job regardless of results before your current contract expires? I wish I had this type of job security...holy S.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fowl said:

Eric Stephens does decent work.  It’s grasping at straws to blame the hockey beat writer for the team’s communication issues.  If you want better coverage subscribe to THE ATHLETIC.  It costs money.  You get what you pay for.  

https://theathletic.com/

Think Ducks fans have gotten what we have paid for this season ?

Its a terrible value vs cost, and the communication is dreadful, to stick with this topic.  

• Like 1

I get the obvious frustration from the fans. I mean, I literally just made an account on here so I can voice it - that's how frustrated I am with this team. Let's not kid ourselves, our window for success has been closed ever since we lost in game 7 to the Blackhawks but there is a lot to look forward to in the future. I think what the organization is doing as a whole is disgusting - our performances on the ice are just as abysmal as how the club is run off the ice. It's pretty obvious what is going here - Bob is keeping Carlyle around because they're pals AND it's the teams best chance to tank. What's so angering is that we all know it's happening and there is no explicit mention from the anyone in the team that it is happening. I am so ******* piddleed off after every game when I hear that, "we gotta do better," or "we need to look at ourselves in the mirror," and all this apologetic crap that they think will make the fans pity them to deflect any blame. Self-recognition of one's own actions mean nothing if they don't do anything to change. Who is to blame for all of this? Well we can look at the vets on this team - it's obvious there is no leadership. We can look at the coaches who are implementing a failed, dated  system and are bereft of ideas on how to succeed in today's game. We can look at management who, despite having the pieces to make a successful team, fail to hold anyone accountable. If we want to see this team go anywhere and keep up with the evolving NHL, it is time for the Samueli's to cut ties with these fossils in charge who are holding us back. We have a plenitude of young players who have all the attributes to be successful at a professional level and there is no reason why they should not be playing. We have the best goalie in the NHL locked up long term and if we are to see any real success in his prime we need to change right now - not to mention Rakell being on a great deal and our top 4 D being young. I truly believe we have the players, especially at the back end, to have a contending team in a few seasons. Look at the leafs. In 3 seasons they went from last to playoffs to being cup contenders. Let's take our losses this season and get a top 3 pick in the draft, clean house behind the bench and in management, and finally bring up the young guys who deserve to be playing. In terms of our offence, besides Rakell, Henrique, Sprong, Sherwood, Kase, Kesler, Perry, and Getz, we need to total facelift with an injection of youth. The only reason I mentioned the last 3 was because they'll be impossible to move on their Dehydrated Donkey Dung contracts (and at least Getzlaf still produces). But still, we've got guys like Lundestrome, Jones, Steel, Comtois, Morand, Kopacka, and whoever we draft this year who can play. They are the future so why not give them the experience while they are young and adapt to the professional level? My point is that while it is all doom and gloom now, it should not be for the future. We have the core to make this work in the future if we have the right people in charge of it. Joel Quenneville is sitting at home right now. We'll probably have to ride this ship until the end of the season but we have everything in place to replicate what the Maple Leafs have done - bring in a one of the best coaches in the game, play young guys, and load up on top 5 picks a season or 2 before we see any payoff for our patience. 

Edited by TheHip_95
  • Like 1