The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

#1 Draft Pick!

These are exciting times for the Ducks!  No, really!  Why is that?  The reason is that there is a very good chance we will get the number one overall draft pick in this year's draft!  I was hoping we would make the playoffs.  And, yes. There is a still a chance we do.  But we are currently last place in the Western Conference Standings.   And getting a number one overall draft pick--or even the number two overall pick--would be real sweet.  We have a lot of talent on our roster. To add an all-star rookie would help for years to come. 

Center Jack Hughes is predicted by many to go first overall.  However, I personally might go with Kaapo Kakko.  This Finnish player is said to have Patrik Laine potential, and can play both center and wing.  

Who would you go with if we get the number one or number two overall pick in this year's draft?  

See below for highlights of Hughes and Kakko. 

Edited by duck123

You just know that if the Ducks finish with the worst overall record, we will lose the draft lottery and end up picking 4th overall...that is just the way the season has gone.  

Gimme Kakko or gimme death*

*assuming hell isn't just some big screen replay of the last road trip for the rest of eternity

• Like 2

If we end up with the #1, Kakko all the way. I think Hughes 1. is getting the over hype treatment 2. he's committed to college (I can't shake the Shultz thoughts) and 3. his size. 

• Like 2

The Ducks need a Finn as the face of the franchise. He’d be Teemu 2.0!

Kakko is going to be nasty. He’s been great in the Finnish Liiga and isn’t even 18 yet. I think he’s the better prospect right now also and I’d take him first overall. Don’t get me wrong, I think that Hughes is going to be very good also but I think that he gets a bit more hype being an American prospect. My feeling is that Kakko is a better prospect than Laine and Hughes just a shade less than Matthews. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

These are exciting times for the Ducks!  No, really!  Why is that?  The reason is that there is a very good chance we will get the number one overall draft pick in this year's draft!  I was hoping we would make the playoffs.  And, yes. There is a still a chance we do.  But we are currently last place in the Western Conference Standings.   And getting a number one overall draft pick--or even the number two overall pick--would be real sweet.  We have a lot of talent on our roster. To add an all-star rookie would help for years to come. 

Center Jack Hughes is predicted by many to go first overall.  However, I personally might go with Kaapo Kakko.  This Finnish player is said to have Patrik Laine potential, and can play both center and wing.  

Who would you go with if we get the number one or number two overall pick in this year's draft?  

See below for highlights of Hughes and Kakko. 

No Offense I do not see our Ducks drafting at Number 1 or 2.....imho. IF they are going to draft Number 1 they should trade for the pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

...I'd...I'd be happy with either lol although...is one a center and a winger? 'cause I'd take the center over the winger right now. but i wouldn't pass on either lol

Actually that's a tough winger to pass on. I see what people are saying about the size of Hughes...and a big LW would be nice...especially if he's being compared to Laine.

Yeah, after careful consideration...I'd take either :)

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

...I'd...I'd be happy with either lol although...is one a center and a winger? 'cause I'd take the center over the winger right now. but i wouldn't pass on either lol

Actually that's a tough winger to pass on. I see what people are saying about the size of Hughes...and a big LW would be nice...especially if he's being compared to Laine.

Yeah, after careful consideration...I'd take either :)

There are more talent Players besides Kakko and Hughes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

42 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

No Offense I do not see our Ducks drafting at Number 1 or 2.....imho. IF they are going to draft Number 1 they should trade for the pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The Ducks are the worst team in the NHL and are well on their way to having some of the best odds at getting a lottery pick so it’s not like this is some kind of unrealistic scenario. Sure that even with the worst record, you still need the ping pong balls to go your way draft that high but the Ducks are more than on their way to giving themselves the best odds to get Kakko or Hughes. It’s the only way they’ll draft that high since teams are not going to trade those type of picks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Ducks are the worst team in the NHL and are well on their way to having some of the best odds at getting a lottery pick so it’s not like this is some kind of unrealistic scenario. Sure that even with the worst record, you still need the ping pong balls to go your way draft that high but the Ducks are more than on their way to giving themselves the best odds to get Kakko or Hughes. It’s the only way they’ll draft that high since teams are not going to trade those type of picks.

Is the lotto just for the #1 pick? Correct me if I'm wrong but if we do, truly, end up the last place team in the league...which we are actually quite close to right now...(taking into account games in hand we're essentially 2nd to last place at the moment)...we would be guaranteed the #2 pick at the least, right? If not the #1?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Is the lotto just for the #1 pick? Correct me if I'm wrong but if we do, truly, end up the last place team in the league...which we are actually quite close to right now...(taking into account games in hand we're essentially 2nd to last place at the moment)...we would be guaranteed the #2 pick at the least, right? If not the #1?

No, the worst team in the league is guaranteed to pick no lower than 4th.  There is a lottery for the top three picks.  So the Ducks could finish in dead last and pick anywhere from 1 - 4.  

• Like 1

If the Kings and Blackhawks finish bottom 3 there’s no way one of those teams isn’t winning the draft lottery. The league will make sure of that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

No, the worst team in the league is guaranteed to pick no lower than 4th.  There is a lottery for the top three picks.  So the Ducks could finish in dead last and pick anywhere from 1 - 4.  

lame. but i guess that should help with teams obviously tanking to get a high pick...but man i really want ottawa to start winning...that trade with colorado could turn into one of the best/worst trades in recent history if colorado's ottawa pick turns into #1 or 2...ugh...

2 hours ago, nieder said:

If the Kings and Blackhawks finish bottom 3 there’s no way one of those teams isn’t winning the draft lottery. The league will make sure of that. 

yes, its not really a lottery, its more a like "who Bettman likes"

I would be happy with one of both...

Edited by Spike1981

In case y'all didn't know, Hughes and Kakko played against each other for the gold medal game, in the 2019 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships .  Kakko had the game winning goal.  (See video below.) 

I'm not sure why everyone is excited here.

We all know that no matter how the standings shake out at the end of the season that either Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal will miraculously win the number one pick regardless of where they finish in the standings and that one of these other teams will get the second pick as well.

Edited by Shadowduck

Would be great if a new GM makes this selection; I just don't trust Bob anymore. He has done so much damage in the past that I won't be surprised if he'll pass on Hughes or Kakko and select some JoeShmo out of nowhere.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'd trade Getz, Perry and Kesler for that first pick :P

I'm sure there would be plenty of takers for those contracts LOL....ok I'd keep Getz and add Rico.

10 hours ago, nieder said:

someone posted the video of the last lottery in another thread.   The process looked very legit.

31 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I'd trade Getz, Perry and Kesler for that first pick :P

I'm sure there would be plenty of takers for those contracts LOL....ok I'd keep Getz and add Rico.

Don't Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler have No Movement Clauses?

44 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

someone posted the video of the last lottery in another thread.   The process looked very legit.

Please repost :)

46 minutes ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

I tried to show with the little emoticon that I was being sarcastic.  Mission failed.

We're reduced to this.  Dang what a jacked up season

This is like high school.  You're going to break up with your girlfriend and the only thing you got left is to think about who you might ask out.  The only thing is that Kakko will be seen in LA and Hughes will be seen in Chicago. (or Edmonton, or Vancouver.......or....) 

Anaheim will be left with a bag of pucks and a bunch of rich old men with no trade clauses.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

On the ice, this translates to slow-movement.  No one escapes mother time.

I can see why people dislike the twins contracts, or at least Perry's. But I was thinking about this, who would we have instead of them and where would this franchise be? Let's be realistic here. The twins have brought relative stability to this club for over a decade. And we've had some really good shots at the cup I think. 

Now how many franchises would love to have that? Seriously, look around. There are franchises that can't even get to the playoffs either consistently or at all. So I'm not sure who we would have gotten instead of them. Maybe we'd be worse than Edmonton, idk.

I'd take those guys contracts to have them sign here all over again. It's easy to say in hindsight, but it's also easy to forget what they have done here as well. It's essentially killing the team now, in a way, but where would we be without them?

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I can see why people dislike the twins contracts, or at least Perry's. But I was thinking about this, who would we have instead of them and where would this franchise be? Let's be realistic here. The twins have brought relative stability to this club for over a decade. And we've had some really good shots at the cup I think. 

Now how many franchises would love to have that? Seriously, look around. There are franchises that can't even get to the playoffs either consistently or at all. So I'm not sure who we would have gotten instead of them. Maybe we'd be worse than Edmonton, idk.

I'd take those guys contracts to have them sign here all over again. It's easy to say in hindsight, but it's also easy to forget what they have done here as well. It's essentially killing the team now, in a way, but where would we be without them?

Just my thoughts. 

I have no problem with the contract for Perry, I think we all kinda knew that by the end of it he wouldn't be performing at the same rate. Dude was league MVP making $5M/season. He deserved his payday for everything he had done for this franchise.

Honestly Getz is probably still worth his current deal, he just hasn't had a decent winger all season other than Rakell, who is having a down year.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

If anything it's more Bob's fault for not pulling the trigger to get the players we needed when we were really contenders. If he had overpaid for Kesler somewhat to entice Vancouver to trade him at the deadline we may have had two really strong playoffs where we were serious contenders. I get that Vancouver backed off but if he threw in an extra pick or something maybe they would have said yes. Now idk if he did that or not because I obviously want there. You can't be too cheap in these situations, you gotta take the risk. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

If anything it's more Bob's fault for not pulling the trigger to get the players we needed when we were really contenders. If he had overpaid for Kesler somewhat to entice Vancouver to trade him at the deadline we may have had two really strong playoffs where we were serious contenders. I get that Vancouver backed off but if he threw in an extra pick or something maybe they would have said yes. Now idk if he did that or not because I obviously want there. You can't be too cheap in these situations, you gotta take the risk. 

Yep. I also think he waited far too long to move a defenseman for more scoring help. He held on far too long, then finally moved Vats last year for Henrique when our window had already closed. He needed to make that kind of move in 2015.

• Like 3