The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

#1 Draft Pick!

With the 9th pick, I would love to see Philip Broberg in a Duck uniform.

He has excellent size, Great pair of wheels most likely will add 15# before he is NHL ready 2-3 years.  

• Like 2

I really don't think this is rigged. I'm sure Kings and ESPECIALLY Avs fans think so...but I don't think it is. It's truly not in the NHL's best interest for Chicago or the Rangers or the Devils to have the top 3 picks. They care the most about making money...Chicago picking 3rd or 12th isn't really going to move the needle financially speaking. Same with the Rangers. Not really for the Devils either.

If it was rigged you'd see Florida getting the #1 pick. And Arizona after. That would move the needle tremendously. Honestly, we'd may have actually gotten the #3 pick if it was rigged.

Reading up on some of these later players that aren't Hughes, Kakko, Dach, or Cozens I'm pretty excited to see what we come up with. I think we definitely need a solid center...but our D pool has shrunk significantly the past couple of seasons and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after one of those Ds!

What's that smell? Oh yeah.. it's the corrupted stench coming off of the NHL Draft lottery.

Devils, Rangers and Hawks.. gimme a friggin break. Hawks jumped from 12 to 3? Every year it always feels like someone piddleed in the punch bowl.

At least the Ducks are in the top ten. (barely)

If I didn't hate the Queens so much I would feel bad for them. Going from #2 to #5. They got screwed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

Meaningless goals in meaningless games.  Not only are they now picking 9th, their selection in the subsequent rounds are lower than they should have been.  This was not the 8th or 9th worst team in the league. They were worse than that. 

The draft does not affect other rounds, so we will have the 8th pick in other rounds (our picks). Not a big difference but still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

This was not the 8th or 9th worst team in the league. They were worse than that. 

The Ducks were literally the 8th worst team.  They had stretches that wereworse, and stretches that were better.

In the end, that left us as 8th worst.

Literally.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I really don't think this is rigged. I'm sure Kings and ESPECIALLY Avs fans think so...but I don't think it is. It's truly not in the NHL's best interest for Chicago or the Rangers or the Devils to have the top 3 picks. They care the most about making money...Chicago picking 3rd or 12th isn't really going to move the needle financially speaking. Same with the Rangers. Not really for the Devils either.

If it was rigged you'd see Florida getting the #1 pick. And Arizona after. That would move the needle tremendously. Honestly, we'd may have actually gotten the #3 pick if it was rigged.

Reading up on some of these later players that aren't Hughes, Kakko, Dach, or Cozens I'm pretty excited to see what we come up with. I think we definitely need a solid center...but our D pool has shrunk significantly the past couple of seasons and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after one of those Ds!

Not having the Rangers and Blackhawks in the playoffs is indeed a big loss for the league in terms of TV ratings.
Hate to disagree with you but generational players in this year's draft will go a long way towards ensuring at least one of the two gets back in the dance sooner rather than later.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

What's that smell? Oh yeah.. it's the corrupted stench coming off of the NHL Draft lottery.

Devils, Rangers and Hawks.. gimme a friggin break. Hawks jumped from 12 to 3? Every year it always feels like someone piddleed in the punch bowl.

At least the Ducks are in the top ten. (barely)

If I didn't hate the Queens so much I would feel bad for them. Going from #2 to #5. They got screwed. 

They got what they deserved after an obvious tank job.
No way were they the second worst team in the league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

before the lottery I said NYR/DET/CHI/LAK/MTL are my favos... 2 of them are in top 3... I hate to be right with this ... its clearly rigged... s*it world, always where is that much money inside, they rigged for more... look how many times they gave the Oilers the first, and now NJD is the Oilers 2.0?!

nobody interests Arizona in the desert. they many times dropped in the past years in the lottery... or look Buffalo, this year too from 3th to 6th..

by the way, for the draft, I think too, we need defensive players. Holzer is a good 7th, but not a 5-6th:

Moritz Seider is also a RHD...

but I would like with the first pick to take a forward... the SJS/STL pick and 2nd - 3th round you can go after defensive players...

• Like 1

Screw tanking.  If the Ducks hadn't blown that game to the Blues and the Kings they'd be picking third right now.  

Or if the Ducks had told their players to just stop playing hard, like I'm sure the Rangers did, maybe they could have managed to finagle themselves into just the right position to pick 2nd.

There's just no way to know how these things play out.  Hopefully they get a stud at #9.

5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There's just no way to know how these things play out. 

wrong.... almost everybody had CHI on the radar....

25 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

before the lottery I said NYR/DET/CHI/LAK/MTL are my favos... 2 of them are in top 3... I hate to be right with this ...

2 hours ago, wataduk said:

Not having the Rangers and Blackhawks in the playoffs is indeed a big loss for the league in terms of TV ratings.
Hate to disagree with you but generational players in this year's draft will go a long way towards ensuring at least one of the two gets back in the dance sooner rather than later.

I can't argue with that. But that doesn't prove anything. I still don't think it's rigged. People are dumb. If it was actually rigged it would be leaked by now and there would be some major mistakes made by the people rigging it. The NHL doesn't exactly have super-spy-movie security...

4 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

before the lottery I said NYR/DET/CHI/LAK/MTL are my favos... 2 of them are in top 3... I hate to be right with this ... its clearly rigged... s*it world, always where is that much money inside, they rigged for more... look how many times they gave the Oilers the first, and now NJD is the Oilers 2.0?!

nobody interests Arizona in the desert. they many times dropped in the past years in the lottery... or look Buffalo, this year too from 3th to 6th..

Why do you think the NHL cares so much about NJ to give them 2 number 1s in 3 years? 'Cause they care so much about Taylor Hall getting more No. 1 picks??? It's so incredibly obviously not rigged it's ridiculous. There isn't one person in the NHL who wanted the Oilers to have so many #1 picks besides the Oilers. It's actually BAD for hockey. Since Bettman has taken over he's cared about 1 thing above anything else and that is EXPANDING the NHL. And his ACTUAL ACTIONS show him doing this. He has been so incredibly consistent with that. As opposed to hidden actions that people like to make up he is doing. Which are so incredibly inconsistent that his "agenda" changes month by month and also changes depending on which fan base you talk to...

But you're right, they clearly had it out for Buffalo...except the whole getting a No. 1 pick right after getting a No. 2 pick...

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

by the way, for the draft, I think too, we need defensive players. Holzer is a good 7th, but not a 5-6th:

Moritz Seider is also a RHD...

but I would like with the first pick to take a forward... the SJS/STL pick and 2nd - 3th round you can go after defensive players...

That's what I hope the plan is, too...there seem to be some good D around those other picks we have later that it would be good to grab them, then. A goooood forward pick with our #9 just seems sooo important at this point.

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

Why do you think the NHL cares so much about NJ to give them 2 number 1s in 3 years?

big market?

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

There isn't one person in the NHL who wanted the Oilers to have so many #1 picks besides the Oilers.

SC for a Canadian team?

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

But you're right, they clearly had it out for Buffalo...except the whole getting a No. 1 pick right after getting a No. 2 pick...

3 years after the 2nd pick... but how many times there where last? 3 of 5 seasons... once with about 20 points behind the second last...

maybe not ALL is rigged, but a lot... NYR/CHI were favos

8 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

People are dumb. If it was actually rigged it would be leaked by now and there would be some major mistakes made by the people rigging it. The NHL doesn't exactly have super-spy-movie security...

I understand... because nobody made a mistake, all was okay and nothing was rigged.... 

• Like 1

I have never seen the lottery so they don't show the actual selection process and just announce it? If the lottery is fair I have no problem with chicago in the top 3. They didn't tank and were lucky. But I'm not sure about the rangers and devils. I'm glad the kings dropped a few spots but that's all to be excited about. Too bad for us.

3 hours ago, wataduk said:

They got what they deserved after an obvious tank job.
No way were they the second worst team in the league.

They were destined for the bottom after hiring Desjardins - the Tank Commander.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

big market?

SC for a Canadian team?

3 years after the 2nd pick... but how many times there where last? 3 of 5 seasons... once with about 20 points behind the second last...

maybe not ALL is rigged, but a lot... NYR/CHI were favos

I understand... because nobody made a mistake, all was okay and nothing was rigged.... 

Well, according to Forbes list of NHL teams value...New Jersey is actually 19th on the list...right behind Anaheim actually! Rangers were #1...Chicago was #4...Buffalo was like waaaay at the bottom. Montreal was #3. LA was #6. Edmonton is a few spots above Anaheim.

And, I really don't think there is any Flames fan that wants the Oilers to win the cup...Toronto fans don't want the Oilers to win...no other team in Canada wants another Canadian team to win the cup. In fact, every non-Ottawa fan Canadian I know (and yes I know more than 1 lol my whole family is Canadian) wanted the Ducks to win the cup in '07 'cause they had more Canadian players than Ottawa. I really don't know who you think cares that Canada wins a cup besides...that Canadian team. They haven't won since 1993...if they truly cared about rigging it so Canadian teams will win...they really haven't been doing a good job...they've been focused more on other things...like...expanding the league...and spreading the wealth so smaller markets can get better value...you can actually look at Bettman's/the leagues actions and see exactly this happening.

Right, yeah, so it wasn't THE NEXT year, true. And yeah they've had some bad seasons without getting #1. But you also picked other teams as your favos. And, so actually, technically you were more wrong than right. More than half of the teams you expected to be in the top 3...didn't make the top 3...and actually 2 of them dropped THREE spots.

Well, people make lots of mistakes! I'm not saying nobody made a mistake. They aren't trying to hide anything so all the incompetence they have in their day to day (and I'm sure there's a lot lol) doesn't matter 'cause there's nothing to hide.

I just don't think there is any actual proof of there being anything rigged. To me, the closest thing they've ever gotten to rigging something was the Vegas expansion draft...and they were just completely upfront about it lol they literally said "we designed this draft so Vegas can be a competitive team quicker." It worked too well lol (well, part in thanks to Florida and Columbus being very dumb...)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

that Canadian team. They haven't won since 1993...

sorry I not wrote good enough, I thought that Bettman wants that a Canadian team wins the Cup again after 25 years... I wouldn't surprised if MTL were in the top 3 with 1%....

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

And, so actually, technically you were more wrong than right. More than half of the teams you expected to be in the top 3...didn't make the top 3...and actually 2 of them dropped THREE spots.

I expected 33% of all teams (included MTL with 1%, but MTL was my 5th team --> canadien team and big market) and I have 66% right.... I only NJD not had on the radar...

25 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

New Jersey is actually 19th on the list

where is the biggest city of america? how many miles away from Jersey?

LAK was my expectation because big city... maybe they didn't take them because of their obvious tanking strategy (as BUF)...

honestly, I think the lottery like this isn't a good thing. its only a thing that Bettman and Co. can rigged the league more as he wishes.

I would take only the last 3-5 teams or so for the lottery for the first overall. it can't be that the worst team can fall to the 4th and team who missed the playoffs for 1 place could have the first...

or take the standing after 60 games for the draft picks, so the tanking is (almost) over and you don't need a lottery.

Would we be questioning the lottery had we won? Or would we simply put our lottery success down to luck?

That in effective is the lottery in a nutshell. On the one hand it can be seen as a reward when it goes your way (eg Chicago); but on the other, for the teams that don't win and/or fall it can be seen as a fix (eg Chicago and New York jumping into the top three). Whether or not it is fixed we'll never know. I'm not convinced it is, but draft lotteries open themselves up to those accusations because when you're not benefiting you do naturally start to wonder.

These examples are NBA related. When LeBron left Cleveland, they were terrible. Thay first season the make a trade with the Clippers that sees them acquire the Clippers' first round pick. That pick had a 1.5% chance of winning, what happened? It won and the Clippers pick turned into Kyrie Irving. Fast forward a few seasons and LeBron was mulling over a return to Cleveland. The Cavs had missed the play offs by a handful of games, their pick again had a small chance of winning the lottery, but once again they won the lottery and the first overall pick was Andrew Wiggins. They traded him for Kevin Love. A cynical person might considered those two instances as an example of a league helping a team. Other notable examples are the Magic picking first overall in back to back years. The first of those picks was Shaq, they went .500 and just missed the play offs, and they still won the lottery with a 1.5% chance and drafted Chris Webbber - they traded him for Penny Hardaway. The year Derrick Rose came declared for the draft, his hometown team Chicago had a 1.5% chance of the top pick, somehow they won the lottery and drafted Derrick Rose.

I haven't kept up on the NHL draft lottery because we haven't really been involved in it for a while, but similar instances have occured in our draft. Teams have beaten the odds and moved up. So it's either their lucky day or something has happened to see them move up. I'd like to think it's not a fix, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. The only way to prevent such discussion is to either take on board the NFL draft, but the negative there is tanking brings a guaranteed pick; or remove the odds altogether and put every team's name in the hat, so every lottery team has the same chance of winning. Ok that could hurt the bad teams because they'll have the same odds as fringe play off teams, but it does stop tanking because those teams can no longer guarantee better odds. 

Anyway, I've gone on enough here, but essentially the lottery in a nutshell happened last night. Unlikely teams moved up, while the likely odds moved down. It happens. Still a top ten pick for us will get us a good talent to help our rebuild.

7 hours ago, ike-1 said:

The draft does not affect other rounds, so we will have the 8th pick in other rounds (our picks). Not a big difference but still.

I know that.  I was commenting that because of the meaningless wins at the end of the year, the later round picks are lower than they could have been. 

• Like 1

I guess we can be still be proud of the fact that the team has never had the first overall draft pick in their existence.  That says something (although with the lottery, a little less) about the organization’s play over the years.  

It is likely that the 9th player selected is several years away from contributing in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike8272 said:

but it does stop tanking because those teams can no longer guarantee better odds. 

take the standing after 60 games for the draft lottery, then teams who wins the most points (maybe the best 3 or 5 teams) till the end of the season, and is not a playoff team, receives some plus % for the lottery.... that would make it interesting for all till game 82 and bye bye tanking....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I can't argue with that. But that doesn't prove anything. I still don't think it's rigged. People are dumb. If it was actually rigged it would be leaked by now and there would be some major mistakes made by the people rigging it. The NHL doesn't exactly have super-spy-movie security...

Why do you think the NHL cares so much about NJ to give them 2 number 1s in 3 years? 'Cause they care so much about Taylor Hall getting more No. 1 picks??? It's so incredibly obviously not rigged it's ridiculous. There isn't one person in the NHL who wanted the Oilers to have so many #1 picks besides the Oilers. It's actually BAD for hockey. Since Bettman has taken over he's cared about 1 thing above anything else and that is EXPANDING the NHL. And his ACTUAL ACTIONS show him doing this. He has been so incredibly consistent with that. As opposed to hidden actions that people like to make up he is doing. Which are so incredibly inconsistent that his "agenda" changes month by month and also changes depending on which fan base you talk to...

You're totally right. We would’ve heard by now from either players or GMs over time about the rigging if there was one. But most of us are frustrated (like myself) and start throwing the pointed finger to find blame at anything. It’s just a gross coincidence that the Hawks (from 12 to 3) and Rangers rocket to the top. 

I guess that’s just how the cookie crumples   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

You're totally right. We would’ve heard by now from either players or GMs over time about the rigging if there was one. But most of us are frustrated (like myself) and start throwing the pointed finger to find blame at anything. It’s just a gross coincidence that the Hawks (from 12 to 3) and Rangers rocket to the top. 

I guess that’s just how the cookie crumples   

I know, I know...I'm frustrated, too. It is. And it sucks. But I'm also excited to see who we can get. Also, the scouting report I read on the projected #3 guy is saying he's got a little while before he's NHL ready sooo I'm hoping the Hawks pick him and he ends up being another like... Pulijiviri or something...

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I would take only the last 3-5 teams or so for the lottery for the first overall. it can't be that the worst team can fall to the 4th and team who missed the playoffs for 1 place could have the first...

or take the standing after 60 games for the draft picks, so the tanking is (almost) over and you don't need a lottery.

I completely agree with that. It's not a good system. A while ago Doan suggested something similar where once a team is mathematically eliminated they enter a "draft standing" and from that point on the team with the most points is the #1 pick etc...or something to that extent. The worst team will still be the first team to be eliminated...and then it gives teams something to fight for in those final months. Maybe you'd get teams tanking to be eliminated and then start playing well after...but I bet that wouldn't really happen or would have actually pretty bad effects on the teams anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

sorry I not wrote good enough, I thought that Bettman wants that a Canadian team wins the Cup again after 25 years... I wouldn't surprised if MTL were in the top 3 with 1%....

I expected 33% of all teams (included MTL with 1%, but MTL was my 5th team --> canadien team and big market) and I have 66% right.... I only NJD not had on the radar...

where is the biggest city of america? how many miles away from Jersey?

LAK was my expectation because big city... maybe they didn't take them because of their obvious tanking strategy (as BUF)...

honestly, I think the lottery like this isn't a good thing. its only a thing that Bettman and Co. can rigged the league more as he wishes.

I don't think you understand the dynamics of New York and New Jersey. While they are close in proximity, the Devils getting another #1 pick isn't going to make a bunch of people living in New York suddenly become Devils fans. That would be like Ducks fans jumping ship for the Kings. New York folks don't like New Jersey. They're a small market team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I don't think you understand the dynamics of New York and New Jersey. While they are close in proximity, the Devils getting another #1 pick isn't going to make a bunch of people living in New York suddenly become Devils fans. That would be like Ducks fans jumping ship for the Kings. New York folks don't like New Jersey. They're a small market team.

I actually never thought of them as a small market...I mean, I just never thought about it...I would have assumed with Puddy from Seinfeld being a Devils fan that would help their market...that and like 3 Stanley Cups in a short span...but that WAS a long time ago...when I saw them as #19...BEHIND US...on that Forbes 2018 list...I was genuinely surprised but it makes sense lol

I also never really thought of how much of a rivalry the Rangers and Devils have...that will be exciting to see that really come to focus with one of them getting Hughes and the other getting Kakko.

Edited by Jasoaks

44 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I actually never thought of them as a small market...I mean, I just never thought about it...I would have assumed with Puddy from Seinfeld being a Devils fan that would help their market...that and like 3 Stanley Cups in a short span...but that WAS a long time ago...when I saw them as #19...BEHIND US...on that Forbes 2018 list...I was genuinely surprised but it makes sense lol

I also never really thought of how much of a rivalry the Rangers and Devils have...that will be exciting to see that really come to focus with one of them getting Hughes and the other getting Kakko.

This here is exactly the reason why the NHL would want to provide help for the Rags - a very big market, Manhattan, is very much upset by the Devil's run of Stanley Cups, while the Rags had just 1. They'd wanna balance it maybe 3-2. ANA and LA the league is comfortable with 2-1 in LA's favor, fans are pleased, so NHL can just forget about Anaheim altogether like the do for some teams. Flordia, Arizona come to mind.

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I completely agree with that. It's not a good system. A while ago Doan suggested something similar where once a team is mathematically eliminated they enter a "draft standing" and from that point on the team with the most points is the #1 pick etc...or something to that extent. The worst team will still be the first team to be eliminated...and then it gives teams something to fight for in those final months. Maybe you'd get teams tanking to be eliminated and then start playing well after...but I bet that wouldn't really happen or would have actually pretty bad effects on the teams anyway.

I don't like Doan's suggestion for two reasons. (1) I think it will kill the trade deadline because the traditional "sellers" will hold on to their players in an attempt to get as many points as possible towards the draft. The TDL is one of my favorite hockey traditions, and I don't think tweaking the draft odds is worth ruining the TDL. (2) I think Doan's system favors better teams. The three teams closest to making the playoffs are most likely going to get the best lottery odds because those are the teams scratching and clawing to get in the tournament. Teams that are nowhere near the playoffs won't be playing with the same urgency because the players themselves don't actually give a crap where the team drafts. Every time a team takes a young player high in the draft, a current roster player is one step closer to being out of a job, so you're not going to get current veteran players to play harder just so that the team can draft someone to take their place on the roster. That said, if the league wants to insist on a weighted system for the lottery odds to create parity, I don't think it makes sense to favor teams that are right on the cusp of the playoffs already.

IMO, the only way to get rid of tanking is to give even odds to all teams that don't get in the playoffs. One ping pong ball per team, draw them one at a time in front of a live TV audience, in reverse order from #16 down to #1. I would also add a rule that no team can pick in the top-5 in consecutive drafts. With all the money flowing into the league these days, every single team should have enough to invest in their scouting departments, so let's eliminate the chances of back-to-back high lottery picks and make every team do their due diligence in scouting players.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Screw tanking.  If the Ducks hadn't blown that game to the Blues and the Kings they'd be picking third right now.  

Or if the Ducks had told their players to just stop playing hard, like I'm sure the Rangers did, maybe they could have managed to finagle themselves into just the right position to pick 2nd.

There's just no way to know how these things play out.  Hopefully they get a stud at #9.

I mean this season could not have been much worse (outside of goaltending) for the Ducks. Not winning the draft lottery yesterday is likely just going to push back the timeline of them to contend again. I don’t want to the ceiling to be a first or second round  exit for the next half decade which is where the Ducks are headed, imo. I’m not betting on getting the kind of stud prospect(s) this team needs at 9th overall, unless the 2019 draft is the new 2003. 

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I mean this season could not have been much worse (outside of goaltending) for the Ducks. Not winning the draft lottery yesterday is likely just going to push back the timeline of them to contend again. I don’t want to the ceiling to be a first or second round  exit for the next half decade which is where the Ducks are headed, imo. I’m not betting on getting the kind of stud prospect(s) this team needs at 9th overall, unless the 2019 draft is the new 2003. 

You're not even going to wait to see what GMBM does via trade or UFA this summer? You're just already going to declare the next several seasons a lost cause because we're picking #9?

We have assets (picks, prospects and too many wingers) and GMBM has indicated there will be significant roster changes. Can we at least wait until July 3rd or 4th to throw in the towel on 2019-20?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1