The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

#1 Draft Pick!

2 hours ago, nieder said:

'WHL rivals' lol they aren't even in the same conference.

The top 7 are probably going to be the top 5 NA skaters and top 2 international skaters, meaning that Cozens will likely be gone by the time Anaheim picks at 9. Which is unfortunate as he was the guy I was hoping we would target when our pick was looking more like the 5-7 range a few months ago.

I'm thinking the order for the first five might be Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Cozens, Podkolzin. Buffalo could go either Dach or Zegras, Edmonton gets Byram and we get the guy that Buffalo didn't get. 

EDIT: I forgot about Colorado having the 4th pick so: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Cozens, Byram, I still think Buffalo picks Zegras over Dach and Edmonton picks Thomas Harley. I still think we have a shot at Dach.

Edited by perry_mvp

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Size is still definitely a factor but the things that separates Getzlaf, Thornton, Kopitar apart from 99.99% of players is how skilled and smart they are. They aren’t known being power-forward type players. They are playmakers first and foremost and that’s what will keep them productive in the NHL into their late 30’s *knocks on wood for Getzlaf*

I agree that speed isn’t everything. A team full of Coglianos isn’t going to get you far. You need skill which Washington has and the Ducks lack. 

Vegas has generally owned us since they’ve been in the league though and would have crushed us in a seven game series like SJ did. Same goes with shutting down Colorafo’s top-line. Playing well against them once or twice Falls under the “blind squirrel finding a nut” theory lol. 

Speed and Skill are added Elements something Ducks really Need.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

That's a hat trick for Cole Caufield and #TeamUSA leads, 5-1.

#U18Worlds

@kyleshohora

Cole Caufield with the hat trick in the U18 Worlds vs. Sweden. I like him. I like him a lot. Curious to see who takes him in June.

4 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I'm thinking the order for the first five might be Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Cozens, Podkolzin. Buffalo could go either Dach or Zegras, Edmonton gets Byram and we get the guy that Buffalo didn't get. 

EDIT: I forgot about Colorado having the 4th pick so: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Cozens, Byram, I still think Buffalo picks Zegras over Dach and Edmonton picks Thomas Harley. I still think we have a shot at Dach.

I like what I've read about Zegras. But who are we kidding, he's neither Swedish nor a defenseman. So I'm just going to assume that GMBM is all-in on Victor Soderstrom until he shows me otherwise. Especially after I just read this assessment of Soderstrom:

Söderström is best described as a stay-at-home defenseman. He is not known for his offensive gifts, posting just four goals and seven points for Brynäs IF of the Swedish Men’s Hockey League (SHL) in 2018-19, according to eliteprospects.com. While his right-handed shot is considered to be accurate and efficient, it is not particularly powerful or dangerous. The real strength in Söderström’s game is his transitional play. He is excellent at carrying the puck out of his own zone and into that of the opposition. He is a great skater, excelling on his edges, and with a hockey IQ through the roof. All-in-all, Söderström projects  to be a solid top-four defender in the NHL, with a list of comparables including Cam Fowler and Jared Spurgeon. 

So he's the essentially the Swedish Cam Fowler.... GMBM is probably already in love.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I like what I've read about Zegras. But who are we kidding, he's neither Swedish nor a defenseman. So I'm just going to assume that GMBM is all-in on Victor Soderstrom until he shows me otherwise. Especially after I just read this assessment of Soderstrom:

So he's the essentially the Swedish Cam Fowler.... GMBM is probably already in love.

draft and then trade cam?  ;)

I'd only disagree in one regard... if Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar weren't their size, or strength, their playmaking would be substantially diminished. Their physical size and play is what seperated them from the rest of the league. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

I'd only disagree in one regard... if Thornton, Getzlaf and Kopitar weren't their size, or strength, their playmaking would be substantially diminished. Their physical size and play is what seperated them from the rest of the league. 

Is it really? Don't get me wrong I love it when Getzlaf turns on the beastmode and powers his way along the boards but what makes him great in my book is how he sees the game. Getzlaf has tremendous vision and on top of that he has the ability to make those sick passes. IMO that's his biggest strength. When Getzlaf is on the top of his game you won't find many better passers than him, minus the stupid drop passes of course :lol: I don't know if he wouldn't have been as good if he were smaller (and probably faster and more agile).

But again I love the fact that he's big and strong. It makes him so fun to watch.

To stay on topic, reading about the prospects makes me believe Kirby Dach is a Ryan Getzlaf type player. I've never seen him play but I often read big frame, great passer, pass first mentality,... Too bad we won't get our hands on him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Is it really? Don't get me wrong I love it when Getzlaf turns on the beastmode and powers his way along the boards but what makes him great in my book is how he sees the game. Getzlaf has tremendous vision and on top of that he has the ability to make those sick passes. IMO that's his biggest strength. When Getzlaf is on the top of his game you won't find many better passers than him, minus the stupid drop passes of course :lol: I don't know if he wouldn't have been as good if he were smaller (and probably faster and more agile).

But again I love the fact that he's big and strong. It makes him so fun to watch.

To stay on topic, reading about the prospects makes me believe Kirby Dach is a Ryan Getzlaf type player. I've never seen him play but I often read big frame, great passer, pass first mentality,... Too bad we won't get our hands on him.

I agree that Getzlaf is one of the best passers in the game. I would have loved to see Getzlaf get to center a player like Mario Lemieux.  I know Lemieux played center. But I'm sure he could have played wing. Imagine Getzlaf feeding him pucks each game. Now imagine their left wing was Pavel Bure. Just imagine that. A line of Bure, Getzlaf, and Lemieux. Would have been amazing. Hey, it's our off-season. So, fun to think of these type of things. :)

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Watch Calgary on a power play against Colorado tonight. Watch Colorado on a power play against Calgary tonight. Speed and agility are great for fast breaks and for three on three, but aren't as useful as size at five on five and when all opposition players are in the defensive zone.

It's important in regards to the draft, that we don't skip the big players based on the suggestion that success in the current nhl requires speed over size. In the regular season, sure. But in the postseason, not so much.

50 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I agree that Getzlaf is one of the best passers in the game. I would have loved to see Getzlaf get to center a player like Mario Lemieux.  I know Lemieux played center. But I'm sure he could have played wing. Imagine Getzlaf feeding him pucks each game. Now imagine their left wing was Pavel Bure. Just imagine that. A line of Bure, Getzlaf, and Lemieux. Would have been amazing. Hey, it's our off-season. So, fun to think of these type of things. :)

No it isn't. I wish we were watching the Ducks demolish the Failms again just about right now.

Let's draft someone who will blossom into a star.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Cole Caufield with hat tricks in consecutive games for Team USA at the U18 Worlds. My goodness. Definitely NOT hurting his stock entering the 2019 NHL Draft. 👀

5'7"!? Wow! That's crazy. Has there ever been a legitimate player in the league at that height?! And he's probably shorter 'cause you know they always fudge it a bit for the shorter players.

13 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

5'7"!? Wow! That's crazy. Has there ever been a legitimate player in the league at that height?! And he's probably shorter 'cause you know they always fudge it a bit for the shorter players.

Martin St. Louis was 5'6", I thought.  

He is actually listed at 5'8".  I thought there was another tiny guy who was pretty good.  Theo Fleury, maybe?  

Checks: Ha!  Fleury is listed at 5'6".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Martin St. Louis was 5'6", I thought.  

He is actually listed at 5'8".  I thought there was another tiny guy who was pretty good.  Theo Fleury, maybe?  

Checks: Ha!  Fleury is listed at 5'6".

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rocco Grimaldi (5'6") has two goals for Nashville in their 1st round series

OH! ha! Well I guess it's not so uncommon. Still pretty short though lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

OH! ha! Well I guess it's not so uncommon. Still pretty short though lol

Caufield might be short but I guess he has to keep his head up at all times. He didn't get 58 goals from being unaware of his surroundings. He's the best pure goal scorer in the draft.

8 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Caufield might be short but I guess he has to keep his head up at all times. He didn't get 58 goals from being unaware of his surroundings. He's the best pure goal scorer in the draft.

He might still grow too. Brayden Point was listed at 5’9” on draft day and is now listed at 5’11”. Some of these kids will still be adding inches, so height shouldn’t necessarily scare teams away if the skill set and hockey mind is there.

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

He might still grow too. Brayden Point was listed at 5’9” on draft day and is now listed at 5’11”. Some of these kids will still be adding inches, so height shouldn’t necessarily scare teams away if the skill set and hockey mind is there.

True, he could add a couple inches of height but he's not going to turn into the Hulk. The good thing about Caufield is that he's had to adapt his game because everyone is bigger than him. I don't think he would be the right fit for Anaheim but he's going to be good for whoever drafts him. I could see Buffalo drafting him.

23 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

There are Swedish twins in the draft, Max and Joel Wahlgren....Bob must be salivating over that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

True, he could add a couple inches of height but he's not going to turn into the Hulk. The good thing about Caufield is that he's had to adapt his game because everyone is bigger than him. I don't think he would be the right fit for Anaheim but he's going to be good for whoever drafts him. I could see Buffalo drafting him.

Well, they did have Brian Gionta and Tyler Ennis in their lineup for a few years, so sure why not?!

Edited by dtsdlaw

15 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well, they did have Brian Gionta and Tyler Ennis in their lineup for a few years, so sure why not?!

Hmmmm... Well, I guess I have to re-tract my position. Buffalo takes Kaliyev and Edmonton takes Caufield since they are in so desperate need of defensive prospects...and they need someone to match up against Johnny Gaudreau...😆 (yeah I know Caufield is a forward)

On 4/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

That's a hat trick for Cole Caufield and #TeamUSA leads, 5-1.

#U18Worlds

@kyleshohora

Cole Caufield with the hat trick in the U18 Worlds vs. Sweden. I like him. I like him a lot. Curious to see who takes him in June.

I watch that game...He stood out very well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rocco Grimaldi (5'6") has two goals for Nashville in their 1st round series

If Cole is drafted by the Ducks he would be first Shortest Player.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck