The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

#1 Draft Pick!

16 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

The Ducks have acquired defenseman Brendan Guhle and a first-round selection in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for defenseman Brandon Montour. :wub:

Montour blew is last game...dont let the door hit you in the buttocks :lol:

:blink:  Another left-D?

btw, Guhle was drafted 24 picks after Jacob Larsson in 2015. Aside from getting another late 1st round draft pick, I’d like to know what Bob’s reasoning is on this one. Our depth chart heading into the summer now reads:

Left-D: Lindholm, Fowler, Larsson, Guhle, Mahura, Murphy

Right-D: Manson, Dotchin

I’m not thrilled with Monty’s defense and decision-making this season, but why not wait to see what a new coach could do with him next season? Dude has 40-50+ point potential.

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

btw, Guhle was drafted 24 picks after Jacob Larsson in 2015. Aside from getting another late 1st round draft pick, I’d like to know what Bob’s reasoning is on this one. Our depth chart heading into the summer now reads:

I’m not thrilled with Monty’s defense and decision-making this season, but why not wait to see what a new coach could do with him next season? Dude has 40-50+ point potential.

But Guhle has speed to burn.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Not to mention the Ducks are going to need another Defensemen now if Guhle doesn't step up immediately or needs more seasoning. I count 3 guys out of that list that I am confident with playing Top 4 minutes. Larsson and Mahura didn't look ready for the part in their cups of coffee, and Dotchin and Murphy aren't going to be those guys.

35 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think that the main reason is because Murray needs to move out money for Silfverberg’s bloated extension. I would have liked to have seen Montour under a new coach and system also but he was an easy piece to move. Murray could  trade for another RH defenseman in the offseason and he’ll probably draft one. Murray has crushed the Ducks defensive in less than two years and hasn’t bolstered the offense by any means. 

42 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't know if Dotchin will be around or not. He's only played 11 games in San Diego. The left side is pretty stacked up plus Bob trades LHD Pettersson and then trades for an LHD Guhle. I would like to know his reasoning behind putting Sprong up in the press box. Sure he's not a good defensive player but a team that doesn't score many goals kinda well, needs a scorer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Who decide whitch pick we receive? If STL is a top ten pick they can decide for 2020... but who decided STL or SJS pick???

We get to decide if St. Louis's draft position is anywhere between 20-31. If their pick is #19, then I believe we get San Jose's pick.

15 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Who decide whitch pick we receive? If STL is a top ten pick they can decide for 2020... but who decided STL or SJS pick???

The Blues are currently in 5th Western conf with 72 pts, so it would take another massive loss streak to bump them out form the POs to a 10 overall pick

10 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

We get to decide if St. Louis's draft position is anywhere between 20-31. If their pick is #19, then I believe we get San Jose's pick.

I'm a little confused with all the conditions. So basically it's our choice this draft if the St. Louis pick is between 20-31? If their pick is under #20, we get the SJ pick from this draft?

12 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

How did they get it ?? Don't remember the trade

It was in the Duchene trade last season.  Duchene went to Ottawa and Ottawa's 1st went to Colorado (among other moving pieces).  Ottawa had the option of giving Colorado their first pick LAST season (which would have been smart) and instead decided to delay it until this season (which was not smart).  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The Blues are currently in 5th Western conf with 72 pts, so it would take another massive loss streak to bump them out form the POs to a 10 overall pick

but who decide it, its STL or SJS pick?

1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

I'm a little confused with all the conditions. So basically it's our choice this draft if the St. Louis pick is between 20-31? If their pick is under #20, we get the SJ pick from this draft?

no if its a top 10 pick and ST-rank in the standings is between 20-31, not a 20-31 pick.

Just now, perry_mvp said:

Based off the wording (if I'm interpreting it correctly), we get either the San Jose pick or the St. Louis pick. If the St. Louis pick ends up being #19 or below, then we automatically get San Jose's pick. But if the pick winds up as pick #20 or above, then Murray would have the option of selecting either SJS's pick or STL's.

Weird condition, but bottom line is that they are for sure getting another 1st in the 20-30 range. Best case scenario is that St. Louis's pick ends up at #20 exactly. Worst case would be St. Louis's pick ending up at 19 or below and the Sharks go on to win the cup.

• Like 1

Just now, Spike1981 said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2019&pick=18

but who decide which pick would be, SJS or STL?

Those conditions won't affect the Ducks because if St. Louis's pick was in the top 10, they would just keep it and give Buffalo their 2020 1st. Likewise, if the Blues were picking in the top 10, the Ducks wouldn't meet the conditions required to take their pick (20-30 range) and get San Jose's instead.

4 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Based off the wording (if I'm interpreting it correctly), we get either the San Jose pick or the St. Louis pick. If the St. Louis pick ends up being #19 or below, then we automatically get San Jose's pick. But if the pick winds up as pick #20 or above, then Murray would have the option of selecting either SJS's pick or STL's.

Weird condition, but bottom line is that they are for sure getting another 1st in the 20-30 range. Best case scenario is that St. Louis's pick ends up at #20 exactly. Worst case would be St. Louis's pick ending up at 19 or below and the Sharks go on to win the cup.

So the best scenario for us would be both SJ and the Blues getting booted in the first round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Yes, that's correct.  If St. Louis picks anywhere before 20, we get San Jose's pick.  If St. Louis picks after that, we get to choose which pick we want.

Right now, St. Louis is tied with Carolina for 12th in the league, which means it's a coin flip as to whether they'd be picking 19th or 20th if the standings held and St. Louis was knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.  The ideal situation would be for St. Louis to finish 12th in the league in points, get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, AND have everyone below them ALSO get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.  Otherwise, they'll finish with a higher than 20th draft pick and we'll get San Jose, which could be anywhere from 23rd to 31st.  Closer to 31st is more likely.

• Like 1

Just now, perry_mvp said:

So the best scenario for us would be both SJ and the Blues getting booted in the first round.

Basically, yes.  I don't see any way we pick lower than 20th, but it would help our odds if San Jose goes into a slump the rest of the way, then loses in the first round along with a bunch of other upsets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

Well if the Sharks get booted in the 1st round after loading up and acquiring Karlsson, then I won't care where their pick ends up because I will be too busy laughing for awhile.

• Like 5

I think, its a good trade, Montour for a late 1st is okay (he was a late 2nd pick), plus a prospect is nice.

but salary is only 3,4 mio and we need cap space... and I want more trades like this...

Gibbons-Trade also seems good.

Edited by Spike1981
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The current Stanley Cup champion always picks last, in 31st place, and the Stanley Cup runner-up picks 30th. The other two conference finalists pick 29th and 28th.

Regular-season division winners hold the other lowest positions. The remaining teams draft in order of the fewest points scored to most points from the previous regular season.
Edited by ducks07

4 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Well if the Sharks get booted in the 1st round after loading up and acquiring Karlsson, then I won't care where their pick ends up because I will be too busy laughing for awhile.

This is the sanest response to this madness. Cheers!

8 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

yes, we have at least pick 29.

Yeah so worst case scenario is we are picking 29th overall, along with our first overall which could be anywhere from 1-15 at this stage. 

For the sake of argument, let's say Anaheim has the 6th overall pick and the 29th overall pick, and Ottawa's pick owned by Colorado is one of the top-2 picks. Hughes and Kakko are the 2 bona fide picks in this draft. Does Colorado look at trading the #1 or #2 pick? They already have 3 bona fide first line NHL forwards in MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog. They don't really need Hughes or Kakko. They need scoring depth and defense, and they could trade down to get this. Would Anaheim trade the 6th overall, the 29th overall, and say Nick Ritchie for the 1st or 2nd overall pick?

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Yeah so worst case scenario is we are picking 29th overall, along with our first overall which could be anywhere from 1-15 at this stage. 

For the sake of argument, let's say Anaheim has the 6th overall pick and the 29th overall pick, and Ottawa's pick owned by Colorado is one of the top-2 picks. Hughes and Kakko are the 2 bona fide picks in this draft. Does Colorado look at trading the #1 or #2 pick? They already have 3 bona fide first line NHL forwards in MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog. They don't really need Hughes or Kakko. They need scoring depth and defense, and they could trade down to get this. Would Anaheim trade the 6th overall, the 29th overall, and say Nick Ritchie for the 1st or 2nd overall pick?

I simply can't imagine a team that doesn't "need" Hughes or Kakko.  Cheap, possibly 1st or really good 2nd line talent is an absolute necessity in the NHL.  I don't see a team trading either of those picks.  But maybe I'm wrong.  If something like that were to happen, my guess is it would take a defenseman as well.

12 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I simply can't imagine a team that doesn't "need" Hughes or Kakko.  Cheap, possibly 1st or really good 2nd line talent is an absolute necessity in the NHL.  I don't see a team trading either of those picks.  But maybe I'm wrong.  If something like that were to happen, my guess is it would take a defenseman as well.

Colorado is the only team that I think that might be the case because they are just so top heavy. They have their superstar forwards, they now have to start building around them.

• Like 1