The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

#1 Draft Pick!

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Yeah so worst case scenario is we are picking 29th overall, along with our first overall which could be anywhere from 1-15 at this stage. 

For the sake of argument, let's say Anaheim has the 6th overall pick and the 29th overall pick, and Ottawa's pick owned by Colorado is one of the top-2 picks. Hughes and Kakko are the 2 bona fide picks in this draft. Does Colorado look at trading the #1 or #2 pick? They already have 3 bona fide first line NHL forwards in MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog. They don't really need Hughes or Kakko. They need scoring depth and defense, and they could trade down to get this. Would Anaheim trade the 6th overall, the 29th overall, and say Nick Ritchie for the 1st or 2nd overall pick?

I think Sakic would be run out of Colorado if he traded down IF they got either the first or second pick. Honestly, IMO if say they got the first overall pick and selected Kakko and we got the second pick, I wouldn't be so thrilled with Hughes. I just think he's being over hyped. If Kakko was available in the 2nd position then yeah, see if Colorado will bite on a trade. Now if the question is would Bob Murray trade his 6th, 29th and Ritchie, I have serious doubts he would.

51 minutes ago, nieder said:

Colorado is the only team that I think that might be the case because they are just so top heavy. They have their superstar forwards, they now have to start building around them.

I would think that the better move for them is to keep Ottawa's pick and then trade Landeskog and/or their other 1st rounder for defense. Trading Landeskog would even clear enough salary that they could make a run at Karlsson.

2 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

sorry if this has been posted..   cool link with up to date draft order.  We have 5, 20 and 36 right now

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft

Those are good Picks.....Just eager to see who the Ducks will select I have my list of who will fit into the Ducks System of Hockey.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The tank is officially on. Traded away Montour, some other depth, Gibson is hurt, Getzlaf is hurt, and Miller’s got a bit of a lower body injury. Let’s get that high draft pick. 

• Like 4

Well, New Jersey won tonight and now has 58 points. Thus, they now have the 5th worst record in the league. Ducks now have the 4th worst record in the league. That means The Ducks currently would qualify for the lotto. Usually, having a bad record is not something to cheer about.  However, with the chance to get a player like Kakko, we can cheer that we might get to be in the Lotto this year!  Let's Go Ducks! 

• Like 2

Solid tank results tonight. Devils, Canucks, and Panthers pick up 2 points, and the Kings and Oilers pick up 1 point. Most importantly, Ducks pick up 0 points.

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, duck123 said:

That means The Ducks currently would qualify for the lotto

all non-playoff-teams are in the lottery... or has the rule changed?

Edited by Spike1981

11 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

No you are correct. But the odds get better the more we tank.

Tank on!!!

11 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

All non playoff are in the lottery. The lottery is for the top 3 picks.

1 minute ago, nieder said:

No you are correct. But the odds get better the more we tank.

Tank on!!!

In the current lottery format which has been the last 3 drafts, the worst team has won the #1 pick 2 out 3 times. The #'s 2 and 3 teams have ended up with with the 4th and 5th picks. The 2nd pick in 2016 went to the 6th team, in 2017 went to the 13th team and in 2018 went to the 11th team. The 3rd pick in 2016 went to the 4th team, in 2017 went to the 8th team and in 2018 went to the 4th team. So based on history, it sucks being in the 2nd or third pre-draw position because you're getting hosed. 

The tank is on but I don't see ottawa, detroit, new jersey and la not outtanking us. But we're trying for sure.

Edited by DucksFan_08

40 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

The tank is on but I don't see ottawa, detroit, new jersey and la not outtanking us. But we're trying for sure.

we are now behind NJ.... so the hope is here... Top 3 position for the Lottery would be nice, Top 2 great, so at least a 5th pick.

then at least a 29th pick from SJ/STL (I believe it would be better, don't believe that STL will have a chance... against SJ, NSH, WIN, VGK)

7 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

In the current lottery format which has been the last 3 drafts, the worst team has won the #1 pick 2 out 3 times. The #'s 2 and 3 teams have ended up with with the 4th and 5th picks. The 2nd pick in 2016 went to the 6th team, in 2017 went to the 13th team and in 2018 went to the 11th team. The 3rd pick in 2016 went to the 4th team, in 2017 went to the 8th team and in 2018 went to the 4th team. So based on history, it sucks being in the 2nd or third pre-draw position because you're getting hosed. 

Worst record picks no lower than 4th... there are at least 5 skaters (centers mostly) that would benefit the Ducks in this years draft. So if we finish second to last we're guaranteed a good player.

Ducks WILL not get #1 Draft Pick.....They will NOT get Jack Hughes. I don't give a damn what you think I believe this team is Not worst,Nor great,Nor good...They have Potential simple as that.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

Worst record picks no lower than 4th... there are at least 5 skaters (centers mostly) that would benefit the Ducks in this years draft. So if we finish second to last we're guaranteed a good player.

I was just pointing out that tanking doesn't guarantee a top 3 pick even for the worst team. Nor does it guarantee that teams 2 and 3 will retain their position. The worst draft for the worst 3 teams was 2017 when none of them got top 3 picks.

9 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

3 years is too small a sample size I think. The fact is that the lower you finish in the standings the better your odds are. As you say obviously that doesn't guarantee anything.

52 minutes ago, nieder said:

3 years is too small a sample size I think. The fact is that the lower you finish in the standings the better your odds are. As you say obviously that doesn't guarantee anything.

The current lottery has only been used for 3 years. Before that the worst three teams were the lottery (I believe 2010-2015) and from 2006-2009 it was inverse order of points.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

I was just pointing out that tanking doesn't guarantee a top 3 pick even for the worst team. Nor does it guarantee that teams 2 and 3 will retain their position. The worst draft for the worst 3 teams was 2017 when none of them got top 3 picks.

how did that work?  i could see the 4th getting the 1st, but after that, the worst three had to get picks 2 and 3, no?

10 minutes ago, Fisix said:

how did that work?  i could see the 4th getting the 1st, but after that, the worst three had to get picks 2 and 3, no?

In the current lottery unless of course they change it teams get a certain amount of 4 number combinations. Maybe I'll try to explain it a little better: you go to the liquor store a buy a lottery ticket. The lottery drawing is for 4 numbers. If you get all 4 numbers, you win. All the teams that didn't make the playoffs get lottery tickets (not literally). Say the worst team gets 180 lottery tickets and the tickets decrease in amount until you get to team 15 who only gets maybe 10 tickets. All 15 teams have tickets and have a shot at winning the lottery. The odds for winning the lottery should technically be better if you have more tickets but it doesn't mean squat if you don't have the right numbers. 

hmm.  i think they've changed it so that the bottom 4 teams are the only ones in the lottery for the top three picks (loser gets 4th), with the teams getting a percentage of the available numbers based on how bad they were during the prior season.  the rest of the teams pick in reverse order of league standing.  i'll check to see if that's true.  the ideo going around of one lottery year (last? 2 years ago?) did the 4 team lotto.

12 minutes ago, Fisix said:

nope, you're correct.  i'll have to watch that video again, because it seemed like the lotto was limited to only 4 teams.  anyway, this was an interesting site:

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

I only had to sim 20 times to get Anaheim picking #1. Lol.

• Like 1