The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

This move is the epitome of blind arrogance.

"Let me just slide into the position of the head coach of my team because I used to play for the blackhawks.  That's all I really need to be a coach.  It's easy..."

Talk about narcissism...

• Like 2

All I know is we better not be making any substantial trades at the deadline other than maybe Silfverberg. 

I really just want to see this team play in an environment where they can succeed before we stsrt giving up on proven young talent. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

"Let me just slide into the position of the head coach of my team because I used to play for the blackhawks.  That's all I really need to be a coach.  It's easy..."

Talk about narcissism...

Talk about not having a clue.  He's an interim coach.  If the Gulls coach is coming up, no reason to do it now.  If they want someone else, process will be better to find one after the season than on the fly now.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup
  • Like 5

Murray has done for the most part a decent job of signing these players. We all new Kesler would hurt in the future, but no one could expect it to go south a year after a Selke nomination due to an injury. Perry as long as he can add 15-20G and 50 some points I think I’m fine with. Kesler is the only contract I think totally sucks right now. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

This is uglier than the last go around with RC and the team essentially giving up.   I can't foresee any correction other than admitting we're in rebuild mode and the need to start a new thread..."Trouble on the Horizon for BM?"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Talk about narcissism...

He isn't taking over because he's some narcissist who wants to control everything. It's obvious that he wanted to keep Randy until the end of the season and move on but our performances have been so humiliating that he couldn't disrespect the player and fans like this by not making a move. I'm sure he also held out as long as he could to ensure we would be as far out of the playoff hunt as possible. There is no sense in bringing up Eakins now and interrupting the success of San Diego and he obviously has big rebuild plans coming up and wants a closer relationship with the players to inform them of what he expects if they want to stick around after this debauchery of a season.

• Like 4

Hahahaha I'm equal parts elated that Carlyle is gone, and frightened that Murray is taking over. I don't think he's coached a day in his life. He'll probably be way in over his head. I welcome him as tank commander. 

Either way, firing Carlyle for an interim was easily the best solution. The last two months have been a total disgrace on top of the **** sundae that's been the last two seasons. The team isn't going to start magically winning games now that he's gone but this needed to be done. There's losing the locker room, and there's what we've watched this year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PetrSykora said:

Hahahaha I'm equal parts elated that Carlyle is gone, and frightened that Murray is taking over. I don't think he's coached a day in his life. He'll probably be way in over his head. I welcome him as tank commander. 

Either way, firing Carlyle for an interim was easily the best solution. The last two months have been a total disgrace on top of the **** sundae that's been the last two seasons. The team isn't going to start magically winning games now that he's gone but this needed to be done. There's losing the locker room, and there's what we've watched this year. 

agreed.  The two assistant coaches should have been cut as well...

• Like 1

Finally a good move by Bob too bad it was made too late to save the season unless the draft is what he has been after.

Now he joins a bench with not one coach having any experience as a NHL head coach having to coach established NHL players.

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Eakins will be the cheapest option. With the expiring contracts I doubt the owners allow BM or even his successor to over pay for a coach such as coach Q. Eakins will be given the opportunity over the course of the next 2-3 years. He will have the upper hand over any other available coaches because he is potentially already coaching half of the future Ducks and is having tremendous success.

Exactly why I don’t understand how a decent amount of people on this board are not down with the idea of having Eakins behind the bench. Yes I understand he didn’t succeed in Edmonton , but who would? 

Eakins > Quenville 

30 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

This is a forum of thoughts and ideas.

That is mine.

I have lots of clues.

Thank you.

And I think the earth is flat.

Hey, "this is a forum of thoughts and ideas."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mulcher said:

Eakins was a good coach with the Leafs farm team Marlies too.He can't seem to transfer being good with kids on a farm team into being a good NHL coach.

Come on. He has exactly one year of NHL coaching experience. And it was the $hitshow Edmonton Oilers. 

Just now, dukitup said:

Come on. He has exactly one year of NHL coaching experience. And it was the $hitshow Edmonton Oilers. 

Of course it was common knowledge.He was excellent with the young Marlies and young Ducks he just has to learn how to deal with older established NHL players. He is a little older than he was with the Oil maybe ready to step up with the older guys and their egos.He will also be a much cheaper option than a Quenneville.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

If the plan is to hire Eakins I hope Murray is canned before he can make that hire. I don’t see how he would be an improvement over Carlyle. 

Murray is an improvement over Carlyle at this point. 

2 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

So when the team goes on another 12 game losing streak does Murray fire himself 

Of course not. He then decides it’s only the players so he trades everyone with a NTC/NMC which doesn’t leave many.  

• Like 2

No point paying another coach to come in at this point save the money and wait out the season.

Get a new coach with contacts in before the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

TBH, firing Carlyle does not change how I feel about what’s going on.  The team getting blown out repeatedly reflects on the players effort, not Carlyle’s. They quit on him last time too.   Apparent indifference is a consistent theme......Ask Cogs.

It's a mix.  Yes, this core of players has at times played without a lot of energy over the years.  But they've never looked this bad before ('cept last playoffs maybe).  Something is wrong with the direction they're being given, and how players are being used.  That can be improved, although I'm not certain BM will be the one to make it happen.

Edited by Thom-74

58 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

The two assistant coaches should have been cut as well...

I don't think BM is really going to be coaching. That's why he has the assistant coaches there. He still needs people to throw the blame on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

But isn't it true BM hired those 2 as well?

most likely hired to make RC look like a good choice...total back fire on all fronts.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

My guess he was waiting for the team to get home so he could talk with some of the players as he did the first time he fired Randy. He called in Getz, Perry, and Selanne (the ones I remember) before he made an announcement. My guess; he wanted to hear what Getz, Kesler, Perry had to say. 

I believe GMBM has been on a scouting trip in Europe and just got back to SoCal too. I wouldn’t be surprised if this plan had been cooking for a few weeks (since the 12-game losing streak) but that GMBM didn’t want to cancel his all-important scouting trip to do this and was hoping the all-star break would buy more time.

I’m also in agreement with semipro that this move could really change things up for the rest of the season. This is not a last place team talent-wise, even playing RC’s terrible system. It is their effort and lack of caring that have made them truly suck lately. The next player who gives a half-a$$ effort with GMBM behind the bench will be gone. Probably to an NHL outpost like New Jersey, Florida or Columbus. So I fully expect the players’ effort to dramatically improve. Which means we probably play middle-of-the-pack hockey for the rest of this season.

So who should we select with the #7 pick? :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yeaitsme said:

Exactly why I don’t understand how a decent amount of people on this board are not down with the idea of having Eakins behind the bench. Yes I understand he didn’t succeed in Edmonton , but who would? 

Eakins > Quenville 

From what I understand, Eakins is a defense first, old school, taskmaster type of coach. I don’t see how replacing Carlyle with a similar guy is the way to get the best out of this roster. I don’t hold the Edmonton experience against him as that franchise is a joke. 

Eakins > Quennville? Please. If JQ came to Murray and said he wanted to coach this team we would be on our knees thanking the hockey gods. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nieder said:

From what I understand, Eakins is a defense first, old school, taskmaster type of coach. I don’t see how replacing Carlyle with a similar guy is the way to get the best out of this roster. I don’t hold the Edmonton experience against him as that franchise is a joke. 

Eakins > Quennville? Please. If JQ came to Murray and said he wanted to coach this team we would be on our knees thanking the hockey gods. 

A little read from the HF boards about Eakins   

I think this is a totally different situation. He coached the marlies then went to a different team in Edmonton. Now he's going from the gulls to the ducks with many players familiar with system.