The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

4 hours ago, nieder said:

My first thought is that this is too little, too late. Why fire him now and not after losing 12 in a row? Maybe BM finally got some pressure from ownership to get off his behind. 

Ownership. Somebody told Samueli at work that his team sucks. Now what? My biggest fear is the Ducks will win some meaningless games, will miss playoffs by couple points and won't make to the top 10 in the draft picks either.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Ownership. Somebody told Samueli at work that his team sucks. Now what? My biggest fear is the Ducks will win some meaningless games, will miss playoffs by couple points and won't make to the top 10 in the draft picks either.

Short of bringing up our kids from the minors, I don't think you have to worry.  The current roster BM has put together sucks.

But...."we have to get faster".  Couldn't resist.

Edited by WolfgangDuck

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/02/anaheims-gm-bob-murray-talks-about-taking-interim-coaching-job.html

Anaheim’s GM Bob Murray Talks About Taking Interim Coaching Job

FEBRUARY 10, 2019 AT 4:29 PM CDT | BY HOLGER STOLZENBERG 1 COMMENT

When the Anaheim Ducks fired head coach Randy Carlyle earlier today, many were a bit surprised when Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray named himself the interim coach. The general manager has never been behind the bench, but made it clear in a press conference earlier today that he wants to see things for himself.

“I think this is the only way for me to determine what all the problems are,” Murray said (via Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston). “I don’t think it would be fair to put anybody else in this position right now.”

The Ducks are mired in a horrible slump in which it has won just twice in the last 21 games and have had multiple embarrassing losses recently as they have been outscored 37-8 in their most recent seven-game losing streak. Murray said that Carlyle’s fate was decided last Tuesday after the team’s loss in Montreal. However, with the look that the team has given up on the season, Murray has said that he wants to see for himself where the problems lie.

“It’s my job. I’m looking forward to figuring out what the issues are,” Murray said (via the Ducks). “One of the biggest things I have to determine is if we have people who can (lead). I haven’t given up on them yet, but I’m worried. I don’t think it would be fair to put anyone else in this position right now. I felt I needed to be in the trenches. I strongly felt this way. I know this is the right move for our organization right now. In order to win, you need to have people who aren’t afraid of the adversity. That’s what I’m looking for.”

On top of coaching duties now, Murray also must solve several roster dilemmas as the team has gotten old and slow and need an influx of young talent. With the trade deadline, Murray wants to get a good look at what he wants to hold onto and what he will likley move on from. The team has a number of veterans with big contracts, including Corey PerryRyan KeslerRyan Getzlaf and Patrick Eaves. However, although it would be challenging to move their contracts, Murray said he isn’t afraid to ask them whether they want to leave.

“I have no fear whatsoever in asking them myself,” Murray said.

Murray doesn’t feel the team needs a full-fledged rebuild as there is already quite a bit of talent in their minor league system as they have a number of top forwards close to joining the franchise, including Isac LundestromMax ComtoisSam SteelMax Jones and Troy Terry amongst many. Regardless of the outcome of the season, Murray said the coaching search will start the minute that this season ends.

• Like 2

Being a little optimistic. I appreciate that the Samueli’s are hands off. We could always have a Melnyk type, just think they have to put their foot down in situations like this. 

With no coaching experience himself, I think we should expect a lot of mistakes when it comes to line changes during the game.I have no idea whether Murray is going to be able to make on the fly decisions as a game progresses and the situation on the ice evolves throughout the course of a game.

I'm am speculating to think that one of the things he will be evaluating for the rest of the season is whether it is worth keeping Kesler and Perry and Eaves or just finding a way to buy or move them out during the off season. 

The remainder of this season should be entertaining from a train wreck perspective.

And I would not get my hopes up for a high draft pick.  We all know that when the NHL runs the draft lottery that miraculously either Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver will end up with the first two picks. You can bet your children's college funds on that.

6 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

With no coaching experience himself, I think we should expect a lot of mistakes when it comes to line changes during the game.I have no idea whether Murray is going to be able to make on the fly decisions as a game progresses and the situation on the ice evolves throughout the course of a game.

I'm am speculating to think that one of the things he will be evaluating for the rest of the season is whether it is worth keeping Kesler and Perry and Eaves or just finding a way to buy or move them out during the off season. 

The remainder of this season should be entertaining from a train wreck perspective.

And I would not get my hopes up for a high draft pick.  We all know that when the NHL runs the draft lottery that miraculously either Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver will end up with the first two picks. You can bet your children's college funds on that.

Dont need to be behind the bench to figure that one out.

And as for the draft, you can only move up 3 spots i believe and all four of said teams will not be within bottom 5 with the exception of Edmonton.

4 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

All I know is we better not be making any substantial trades at the deadline other than maybe Silfverberg. 

I really just want to see this team play in an environment where they can succeed before we stsrt giving up on proven young talent. 

I’m NOT saying to give players away for hope, but this draft is strong, and deep.

our own pick could be high up, and we are in a tough spot going forward.  Our NMC contract players are old, fighting injuries, and other than Getz, question marks.  We need a top line center prospect and goal scorers.  We need speed.

we have depth on D, but not a ton of improvement in a highly regarded defense core.  Now that may be coaching, but it could mean we need a big defenseman too.  We are going to have to give to get most likely, but this core hasn’t gotten it done, so shuffling some players with this and the next draft is an opportunity.  Without a ridiculous performance from Gibson, we would have the worst record locked up, and I can’t see any way we can compete in the west as is the next couple years.  Again, barring some startling individual performances like we had from Gibbs last year and the first half this year

Here is what I know (FWIW) and some of this may be obvious to some, so not trying to act as if this is entirely stealth information.

Eakins is adored by his players. So much so that the younger players have openly said they in fact in some way "prefer" to be in SD v. with the "big club". Their admiration for Eakins is to put it mildly: intense. And the Gulls are doing well. Further Eakins and his wife LOVE San Diego and the lifestyle that the Gulls coaching job also affords he and his family.  Dallas is hesitant to take over the Ducks when it was being bantered around in the past. He, as I am told, is not chomping at the bit for a HC job in the league. He is as it has been described "very content coaching younger players and impacting their lives and not being under a microscope. My source is in fact one of the people he has purposefully engaged to be mentors to the younger players.

Murray wants him. But also does not want to mess with the Gulls chemistry as it stands given their current placement and out of respect for so many of the younger players who Murray believes will be permanently placed on the Ducks in the not so distant future. It would be double benefit to also have "their" coach as their NHL coach. Thus a mid year coaching change and hiring a "permanent" replacement is not their approach or even a good option. They were hoping the Ducks would have their late season bounce or at least remain competitive and then take the necessary steps post season. Now what they need to do is cement a deal with Eakins which may involve an agreement he regains the Gulls HC job if dismissed as the Ducks coach. Murray is (supposedly) keenly focused on the locker room environment and what is and is not working. He is beside himself that the team has appeared to have lost their "passion".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I believe GMBM has been on a scouting trip in Europe and just got back to SoCal too. I wouldn’t be surprised if this plan had been cooking for a few weeks (since the 12-game losing streak) but that GMBM didn’t want to cancel his all-important scouting trip to do this and was hoping the all-star break would buy more time.

I’m also in agreement with semipro that this move could really change things up for the rest of the season. This is not a last place team talent-wise, even playing RC’s terrible system. It is their effort and lack of caring that have made them truly suck lately. The next player who gives a half-a$$ effort with GMBM behind the bench will be gone. Probably to an NHL outpost like New Jersey, Florida or Columbus. So I fully expect the players’ effort to dramatically improve. Which means we probably play middle-of-the-pack hockey for the rest of this season.

So who should we select with the #7 pick? :ph34r:

Whoever posts the best VO2 bike time? Or just someone from Sweden in general.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/02/anaheims-gm-bob-murray-talks-about-taking-interim-coaching-job.html

When the Anaheim Ducks fired head coach Randy Carlyle earlier today, many were a bit surprised when Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray named himself the interim coach. The general manager has never been behind the bench, but made it clear in a press conference earlier today that he wants to see things for himself.

“I think this is the only way for me to determine what all the problems are,” Murray said (via Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston). “I don’t think it would be fair to put anybody else in this position right now.”

The Ducks are mired in a horrible slump in which it has won just twice in the last 21 games and have had multiple embarrassing losses recently as they have been outscored 37-8 in their most recent seven-game losing streak. Murray said that Carlyle’s fate was decided last Tuesday after the team’s loss in Montreal. However, with the look that the team has given up on the season, Murray has said that he wants to see for himself where the problems lie.

“It’s my job. I’m looking forward to figuring out what the issues are,” Murray said (via the Ducks). “One of the biggest things I have to determine is if we have people who can (lead). I haven’t given up on them yet, but I’m worried. I don’t think it would be fair to put anyone else in this position right now. I felt I needed to be in the trenches. I strongly felt this way. I know this is the right move for our organization right now. In order to win, you need to have people who aren’t afraid of the adversity. That’s what I’m looking for.”

On top of coaching duties now, Murray also must solve several roster dilemmas as the team has gotten old and slow and need an influx of young talent. With the trade deadline, Murray wants to get a good look at what he wants to hold onto and what he will likley move on from. The team has a number of veterans with big contracts, including Corey PerryRyan KeslerRyan Getzlaf and Patrick Eaves. However, although it would be challenging to move their contracts, Murray said he isn’t afraid to ask them whether they want to leave.

Murray doesn’t feel the team needs a full-fledged rebuild as there is already quite a bit of talent in their minor league system as they have a number of top forwards close to joining the franchise, including Isac LundestromMax ComtoisSam SteelMax Jones and Troy Terry amongst many. Regardless of the outcome of the season, Murray said the coaching search will start the minute that this season ends.

None of the big contract guys with the exception of Eaves (who doesn't really have a big contract to begin with) have a chance of moving. Nobody is trading for Perry and Kesler, and Getzlaf should be off limits because I don't even know if we have a proper 2C on the roster right now, let alone a center prospect with top line potential other than maaaaaaybe Steel.

Eaves probably won't have any suitors either, but his buyout is much easier and more realistic to stomach than Kesler/Perry.

Even though the season is lost, I'm honestly still a little worried going forward. I was 100% in favour of an interim coach but I'm not sure if BM of all people taking over really addresses the problems. There was so much wrong with the team under Carlyle. My biggest issues were:

• His awful player management (although the TOI numbers have actually been reasonable during this current stretch.. shame he waited for the losing to reach epic proportions before sorting that out)
  • Running his star goalie into the ground and throwing him under the bus when he finally broke
  • The complete lack of structure in his gameplan
  • The indifference towards getting dominated on a nightly basis
  • Instilling all sorts of negative habits in the players
  • The optics of getting numerous free passes while fans are expected to continue paying for a broken product.

That's just scratching the surface with him. Any interim wouldn't have fixed the losing (at least right away), but they'd at least work towards repairing everything else. A GM with no previous experience inserting himself in the position feels like it could just be maintaining the status quo. Especially since it's the same GM who built this team and stood by his bestie Carlyle so long to begin with. There's a good chance the team plays up to their talent out of fear now I guess. Apart from playing themselves out of a good draft pick, that's probably a good thing. I still don't like the idea of introducing some significant parts of the next generation into this current team culture. Get someone who knows what they're doing to man the helm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Being a little optimistic. I appreciate that the Samueli’s are hands off. We could always have a Melnyk type, just think they have to put their foot down in situations like this. 

We are lucky to have good owners. Not all teams are so lucky. 

58 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Dont need to be behind the bench to figure that one out.

And as for the draft, you can only move up 3 spots i believe and all four of said teams will not be within bottom 5 with the exception of Edmonton.

Any team that doesn't make the playoffs can win the draft lottery.  So you can potentially move up 14 slots.  The most you can fall is three slots.

37 minutes ago, sclives said:

Here is what I know (FWIW) and some of this may be obvious to some, so not trying to act as if this is entirely stealth information.

Eakins is adored by his players. So much so that the younger players have openly said they in fact in some way "prefer" to be in SD v. with the "big club". Their admiration for Eakins is to put it mildly: intense. And the Gulls are doing well. Further Eakins and his wife LOVE San Diego and the lifestyle that the Gulls coaching job also affords he and his family.  Dallas is hesitant to take over the Ducks when it was being bantered around in the past. He, as I am told, is not chomping at the bit for a HC job in the league. He is as it has been described "very content coaching younger players and impacting their lives and not being under a microscope. My source is in fact one of the people he has purposefully engaged to be mentors to the younger players.

Murray wants him. But also does not want to mess with the Gulls chemistry as it stands given their current placement and out of respect for so many of the younger players who Murray believes will be permanently placed on the Ducks in the not so distant future. It would be double benefit to also have "their" coach as their NHL coach. Thus a mid year coaching change and hiring a "permanent" replacement is not their approach or even a good option. They were hoping the Ducks would have their late season bounce or at least remain competitive and then take the necessary steps post season. Now what they need to do is cement a deal with Eakins which may involve an agreement he regains the Gulls HC job if dismissed as the Ducks coach. Murray is (supposedly) keenly focused on the locker room environment and what is and is not working. He is beside himself that the team has appeared to have lost their "passion".

Very interesting.  I really hope this is true because I don't think Eakins is the answer.  He's done fairly well in the AHL, but I don't think he's been a hot name for NHL jobs.  I read a brief analysis of his systems and the author was not impressed.  His teams in the AHL, even the successful ones, have been getting outshot fairly consistently.  Maybe he'd be good (I don't hold the Edmonton stint against him), but he's certainly not an exciting hire.  I'd much rather get Quenneville or a hot up-and-comer.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

None of the big contract guys with the exception of Eaves (who doesn't really have a big contract to begin with) have a chance of moving. Nobody is trading for Perry and Kesler, and Getzlaf should be off limits because I don't even know if we have a proper 2C on the roster right now, let alone a center prospect with top line potential other than maaaaaaybe Steel.

Eaves probably won't have any suitors either, but his buyout is much easier and more realistic to stomach than Kesler/Perry.

Eaves has 1 year left, Perry has 2. Perry will hopefully still be good for 50 points in a full season. I think we just ride out both contracts. 

Kesler is a buyout candidate IMO. he’s never going to score more than 20 points again. 

33 minutes ago, JadeDragonEyes said:

Weeeeeelllll all you saying Carlyle will never be gone better take that shoe out your mouth.

I honestly didn't think Murray would do it this season.  I might have been a bit more open to it if I had thought that Murray would step behind the bench himself, but the thought never crossed my mind.  One of the main reasons I didn't think Murray would pull the trigger is that I didn't think he wanted to bring in an interim coach.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

The lottery is for the first 3 positions in the draft. Fifteen teams have have a chance for those first 3 positions. A team only falls back if a team leap frogs over them. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nieder said:

Eaves has 1 year left, Perry has 2. Perry will hopefully still be good for 50 points in a full season. I think we just ride out both contracts. 

Kesler is a buyout candidate IMO. he’s never going to score more than 20 points again. 

Kesler's contract still has too much term to buyout. He will have 3 years left after this year, which means we would be paying half of his salary for the next 6 years should we buy him out and having it count against the cap. 

More likely than not, he might get the Joffrey Lupul treatment that the Leafs somehow pulled off.

Do the Coyotes still need some cap??? maybe they take on a Kesler or Perry or Eaves contract...that is of course, if any of them WANT to be moved.

3 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Kesler's contract still has too much term to buyout. He will have 3 years left after this year, which means we would be paying half of his salary for the next 6 years should we buy him out and having it count against the cap. 

More likely than not, he might get the Joffrey Lupul treatment that the Leafs somehow pulled off.

It's just a CapFriendly buyout calculator but it might look like this:

Ryan Kesler Buyout Details

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019 $20,025,000 $0 3 6 34 2/3 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $2,225,000
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT ACTUAL COST SAVINGS FINAL CAP HIT
2019-20 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2020-21 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2021-22 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2022-23 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2023-24 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2024-25 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
TOTAL $20,025,000 $20,625,000 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $13,950,000

6 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Murray has done for the most part a decent job of signing these players. We all new Kesler would hurt in the future, but no one could expect it to go south a year after a Selke nomination due to an injury. Perry as long as he can add 15-20G and 50 some points I think I’m fine with. Kesler is the only contract I think totally sucks right now. 

Eaves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

It's a start....

4 hours ago, mulcher said:

With that group behind the bench with Bob thrown in.I don't think that you anything to worry about.

😂😁