The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

While BM's lack of head coaching experience could make things interesting, my hope is that his explanation for why he is doing this is genuine ("I didn't want to hire an interim coach" wouldn't really go over too well). He can get a more intimate glimpse into the culture of the team then he could from the press box or from people coming into his office. I feel like he looks at the team on paper and thinks it is better than our record shows and he wants to figure out what went wrong. I guess we'll find out if it was RC's fault, a locker room problem, or a combination of things.

• Like 1

Just now, 354PM said:

While BM's lack of head coaching experience could make things interesting, my hope is that his explanation for why he is doing this is genuine ("I didn't want to hire an interim coach" wouldn't really go over too well). He can get a more intimate glimpse into the culture of the team then he could from the press box or from people coming into his office. I feel like he looks at the team on paper and thinks it is better than our record shows and he wants to figure out what went wrong. I guess we'll find out if it was RC's fault, a locker room problem, or a combination of things.

I think he is spitballing there.

I don't believe a word of it.  If he could have gotten away with it, RC would still be the head coach.  That's what I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

I think he is spitballing there.

I don't believe a word of it.  If he could have gotten away with it, RC would still be the head coach.  That's what I think.

I don't know. He will be the one facing the press, dealing with the team, and sorting all the info to determine the future direction of the team. For better or worse he is now the face of the direction of the team. Can't really take credit if there is success, but will receive all the blame if there is not a BIG improvement. He is putting his own job on the line. In other words I think he is being sincere in wanting to help the team. I am just not sure what he is getting himself into.

Also thought it was funny he said he would be nervous going into Wednesday's game. There is no easy way to get those butterflies out of the stomach standing behind a bench. Wish him and the team success.

10 hours ago, mulcher said:

Interesting to see how the players react to the guy that signs their pay cheque is looking over their shoulder.

Probably an improvement over a lame duck coach. Now they have to impress someone who matters. 

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

It's just a CapFriendly buyout calculator but it might look like this:

Ryan Kesler Buyout Details

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019 $20,025,000 $0 3 6 34 2/3 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $2,225,000
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT ACTUAL COST SAVINGS FINAL CAP HIT
2019-20 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2020-21 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2021-22 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2022-23 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2023-24 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2024-25 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
TOTAL $20,025,000 $20,625,000 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $13,950,000

Yeah that's too much dead money for too long for a budget team.

If we were owned by some Canadian Beer company, I think the idea would be thought about more, but I doubt the Samueli's are going to be cool with paying a player $13mil over 6 years to do nothing. Not to mention the salary cap hit on it.

2 hours ago, bufbarnaby said:

Terry and Comtois would be my 1st promotions.

Max too !

I suspect Comtois won't play again this year for expansion protection reasons. 1 more year in his case before we see him again.

I'm surprised Terry wasn't with the team after the all star break though.

Reposting this here.

It's pretty obvious to me the team quit on Carlyle.  His style was outdated, and yeah, he needed to go, but no doubt the players gave him a huge push out the door. Reminds me of the last time he was fired.  The players were skating at two-thirds speed, and gave less than their full effort on the ice.  The coach's message got old, and they quit on him.  

Will be quite interesting to see how Murray deals with this bunch.  It's like a ship without a rudder.  I think team leadership (and possibly a leadership change) should be one of the things Murray should evaluate.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Kesler's contract still has too much term to buyout. He will have 3 years left after this year, which means we would be paying half of his salary for the next 6 years should we buy him out and having it count against the cap. 

More likely than not, he might get the Joffrey Lupul treatment that the Leafs somehow pulled off.

Yeah, my point was that we can buy it out at the same time Perry’s contract ends. Then we’re only paying the buyout for 2 more years, and by that time the kids are hopefully contributing more and we can use the extra cash to sign some free agents to play with the kids. So we are really only 2 seasons away from being contenders again if Bob manages our assets correctly. 

35 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

If we were owned by some Canadian Beer company, I think the idea would be thought about more, but I doubt the Samueli's are going to be cool with paying a player $13mil over 6 years to do nothing. Not to mention the salary cap hit on it.

Well, if they don't buy him out they'll be paying Kesler over $20 million for the next three years to do nothing. 

33 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

The cap hit isn't bad. I mean Bob's pretty much spent that on dead weight this season. So I guess you can pay Kesler $20M the next 3 seasons to hobble around the ice or $2.225M the next 6 years to do nothing. Saving money is still saving money.

Let Kesler get to his 1,000 career game, and then shut him down for the year.  He could be better next season after a summer's rest.

22 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The cap hit isn't bad. I mean Bob's pretty much spent that on dead weight this season. So I guess you can pay Kesler $20M the next 3 seasons to hobble around the ice or $2.225M the next 6 years to do nothing. Saving money is still saving money.

Are you saying that Kesler is worth nothing?  Even if they keep him and put him on the 4th line, is he actually a liability?  Sure, he'll be the most overpaid 4th liner possible, but does it make more sense to pay him to just go away?  Would he have to retire?  If he's paid off, can the Ducks keep him from signing another contract elsewhere for those 3 years?

Can his remaining contract be renegotiated?  Any chance he would take a pay cut, perhaps with a 1 year extension, in order to make nice?  Is the option of trading him and taking back part of his salary an option?

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

I suspect Comtois won't play again this year for expansion protection reasons. 1 more year in his case before we see him again.

I'm surprised Terry wasn't with the team after the all star break though.

Yeah, Comtois won’t play for the Ducks again this season for that expansion reason. Plus, his junior year may not be over before the Ducks’ is.

With Terry, it makes sense that he’s back in SD with the team getting Perry and Silfverberg healthy. I think that everyone in SD should develop there this year especially if Eakins is going to be the next coach.

Watching the post-practice interviews from today... these guys are over the moon that RC is out. They’re not even trying to hide it. Lots of smiles and laughing during the practice too from what the videos show. Even from Bob. After two months of pure garbage, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn around and sweep this homestand now. They SOOOO wanted Carlyle fired. :lol:

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Watching the post-practice interviews from today... these guys are over the moon that RC is out. They’re not even trying to hide it. Lots of smiles and laughing during the practice too from what the videos show. Even from Bob. After two months of pure garbage, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn around and sweep this homestand now. They SOOOO wanted Carlyle fired. :lol:

Huh. So weird. Who could have seen that coming when Carlyle was rehired? I was sure he'd completely changed since the last time he was fired for being such a pain in the butt that no one wanted to play for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

Huh. So weird. Who could have seen that coming when Carlyle was rehired? I was sure he'd completely changed since the last time he was fired for being such a pain in the butt that no one wanted to play for him.

Best way to get a coach fired is for the team to quit on him.  Second time for Carlyle.  Saw it coming, but it's disturbing nonetheless.  Repeated blowouts made it pretty obvious.   They may actually win a game now.

5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I can’t wait for Murray’s post-game interviews. I wonder if he’ll trade somebody during one! It will be great to see him front and center as the Ducks head towards a lottery pick.

*Murray’s thoughts after his first week*

“I thought this team was lazy and lacked compete, but they actually are just old, slow, expensive and have no scoring...what genius put this group together?”

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Let Kesler get to his 1,000 career game, and then shut him down for the year.  He could be better next season after a summer's rest.

Can everyone please stop thinking extended rest is going rejuvenate youth into our aging injured players...what you see now in Kesler's hip, Perry's knee and Eaves everything is their new 100% get used to it because nobody will be taking them off our hands.

1 minute ago, ducks07 said:

Can everyone please stop thinking extended rest is going rejuvenate youth into our aging injured players...what you see now in Kesler's hip, Perry's knee and Eaves everything is their new 100% get used to it because nobody will be taking them off our hands.

Selanne is case in point time heals.  I would give Kesler one more summer to heal, and if that doesn't do it, then consider your options.  Do you think the Ducks should buy him out for three years?  That's a lot of money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Are you saying that Kesler is worth nothing?  Even if they keep him and put him on the 4th line, is he actually a liability?  Sure, he'll be the most overpaid 4th liner possible, but does it make more sense to pay him to just go away?  Would he have to retire?  If he's paid off, can the Ducks keep him from signing another contract elsewhere for those 3 years?

Can his remaining contract be renegotiated?  Any chance he would take a pay cut, perhaps with a 1 year extension, in order to make nice?  Is the option of trading him and taking back part of his salary an option?

I would love nothing more than to have the old Kesler on the ice but look, he's 34 right now, he's played 48 games this season has 6 points and is -21. He has 3 more years left on his contract and his cap hit is $6.875M per year. So you think paying a 4th liner close to $7M per year is a good expenditure of money? He signed a contract and no, it can't be renegotiated. He can't be traded until the last season of his contract and that's IF someone would trade for him. So the Ducks options are keep him for the next 3 seasons and pay over $20M or buy him out and save a bunch of money. 

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Perry was still a 50 point player the last 2 years. I think he will still be able to contribute once he gets more games under his belt. He didn’t play hockey for 9 months. 

Kesler and Eaves are never going to be any better than they are right now. 

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

This is being really hard on the players, especially Kesler and Perry. Look, they're not getting any younger and their scoring is obviously going to further drop. But come on, the whole team was terrible. Get a better coach and you might actually see an improvement with those guys. 

• Like 1

If there ever was a way to make this season even more bonkers and surreal - Bob nailed it on the head. I am really surprised.

Was expecting him to keep Randy in for the Scotty #27 reunion, but the losses just kept mounting and he couldn't hold out any longer...

19 hours ago, ducks07 said:

How? BM is not a coach, never coached a game in his life...how is he going to have success at the NHL level? This is not going to get any better anytime soon.

I believe the players wanted him out for the second time. We have some serious talent and you don’t tank THAT bad with this kind of talent. It’s also why I believe they play harder for rookie goalies, but that’s just my opinion and we’ll see pretty quick. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hoxxey said:

This is a forum of thoughts and ideas.

That is mine.

I have lots of clues.

Thank you.

And that is his/hers.

This is a forum where thoughts and ideas are shared, and responded to.  If you dont understand the two way flow of opinions on a forum, there is always a plain piece of paper somewhere.

Not much worse on a forum than the misunderstanding that only you get to share your opinion and the respondents don't get the same opportunity.

/soapbox

• Like 3