The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

Best way to get a coach fired is for the team to quit on him.  Second time for Carlyle.  Saw it coming, but it's disturbing nonetheless.  Repeated blowouts made it pretty obvious.   They may actually win a game now.

I get the sense that you're blaming the team for this.  I don't condone quitting in any sense, but when you bring in a coach who had his team quit on him before (and the leadership of the team is partly the same since that debacle), and who was so terrible in his next job that they ran him out of town on a rail, what do you expect?  Carlyle is an awful coach. 

The players were put in a situation where they had to buy into to an ineffective system in order to make their coach happy, or they had to ignore that system to try to win games.  Some probably went one way and others another way and it created a mess.  It's like if your boss asked you to type up a report for a meeting, but he wanted you to do it on a typewriter while wearing mittens and only using one hand.  Oh, and you're a chef.  You probably try for a while, simply because you respect the chain of authority and want the business to succeed, but then you realize that it's a pointless waste of time and go back to doing what you feel you should be doing to make the business successful.  At that point, yes, you're technically quitting on your boss.  But he's being unreasonable, and it's why he deserved to be fired.

I don't blame the players.  Heck, I don't even blame Carlyle.  He's an old dog who was asked to do new tricks.  He quickly realized he couldn't and went back to the old tricks.  I blame the guy who brought in the old dog expecting something new.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

Small-market team they could dissolve the team and not many people would notice

What the heck are you talking about?  Are you even a fan of the Ducks?  Yes, a lot of people would notice.

• Like 4

FWIW (per the Athletic), BM said the owners have put all options on the table with regards to making this team competitive again in a relatively short period of time. Includes asking players to waive their NWC AND buyouts if necessary. 

• Like 5

Just now, dukitup said:

FWIW (per the Athletic), BM said the owners have put all options on the table with regards to making this team competitive again in a relatively short period of time. Includes asking players to waive their NWC AND buyouts if necessary. 

Yeah, I saw that, too. It seems literally everyone is on the table (probably not Getzlaf or Gibson though...). BM also seemed very confident with his prospects...and excited about them. I also got the sense from the Henry/Susan letter that they were holding Bob back from firing Carlyle. Just something that seemed implied to me.

While I do think there is an element of the season ticket renewals that sparked this move...I ALSO do think that BM doing this before the trade deadline makes sense. If he's going to make very big shake ups to the line up...he does need to be in the trenches and see what is going on. He said he hasn't given up hope on our players being leaders (again, the implication i get is he's talking about the top 4 d...), but he's worried. I think these next few weeks leading up to the deadline are gonna be very, very, very interesting.

I'm not too worried about Bob being a coach. As a player you get the basic idea of the ins and outs of how to be a coach. Now, I don't expect him to be this brilliant match up artist...and blow people out of the water with his coaching. But I do expect him to be capable of understanding line changes and how challenges work etc...he'll be a basic coach. Probably will be getting a lot of help from the assistants and they will be implementing the system...or it will just be a very simple system...which...could be good.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I saw that, too. It seems literally everyone is on the table (probably not Getzlaf or Gibson though...). BM also seemed very confident with his prospects...and excited about them. I also got the sense from the Henry/Susan letter that they were holding Bob back from firing Carlyle. Just something that seemed implied to me.

While I do think there is an element of the season ticket renewals that sparked this move...I ALSO do think that BM doing this before the trade deadline makes sense. If he's going to make very big shake ups to the line up...he does need to be in the trenches and see what is going on. He said he hasn't given up hope on our players being leaders (again, the implication i get is he's talking about the top 4 d...), but he's worried. I think these next few weeks leading up to the deadline are gonna be very, very, very interesting.

I'm not too worried about Bob being a coach. As a player you get the basic idea of the ins and outs of how to be a coach. Now, I don't expect him to be this brilliant match up artist...and blow people out of the water with his coaching. But I do expect him to be capable of understanding line changes and how challenges work etc...he'll be a basic coach. Probably will be getting a lot of help from the assistants and they will be implementing the system...or it will just be a very simple system...which...could be good.

In the article, he specifically called out Rakell and the top 4 D (by name). I get the impression one will be gone, especially with him saying he wants to see more of Mahura.

5 minutes ago, dukitup said:

In the article, he specifically called out Rakell and the top 4 D (by name). I get the impression one will be gone, especially with him saying he wants to see more of Mahura.

Woah, crazy! Calling out Rakell. Man these next few weeks are gonna be interesting...

That Athletic article also ran through a list of potential new coaches.  One of them was specifically mentioned as a finalist last time - Mike Yeo.  Please God, no.  

10 hours ago, Fowl said:

Selanne is case in point time heals.  I would give Kesler one more summer to heal, and if that doesn't do it, then consider your options.  Do you think the Ducks should buy him out for three years?  That's a lot of money.

Love how people on here always bring up Teemu when talking about another players injury. Not, sure how you can watch Kesler and even convince yourself that he will return to post-injury form. He has had plenty of time and if even Kesler thought he could benefit from more recovery time I doubt he would be on the ice for this meaningless season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Mahura is only 20 (21 in May), so I don't think he's going to push out Lindholm or Fowler any time soon. He's still growing into his body and it would be a mistake to throw him into a top-4 role even as soon as next season. I also didn't see enough from Larsson (turning 22 in April) to show that he's ready for a full-time top-4 role next season. The only young D-man who would have been ready for a top-4 role in 2019-2020 was traded to Pittsburgh for Sprong.

I think that if one of the big-4 are moved this summer, it will be because (a) that player isn't the gamer that BM thought he was, (b) the pairings don't fit and there needs to be a different skill set brought in to make them more cohesive and functional, and (c) the return from trading that player makes sense for the direction GMBM wants to go. A lot will be determined these next 26 games for (a) and (b), and then we'll see if (c) comes about in the offseason. To me, GMBM's comments make it pretty clear that none of those guys are moving by Feb 25th though, unless one of them clearly shows he doesn't want to be a Duck anymore over the next two weeks.

3 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Love how people on here always bring up Teemu when talking about another players injury. Not, sure how you can watch Kesler and even convince yourself that he will return to post-injury form. He has had plenty of time and if even Kesler thought he could benefit from more recovery time I doubt he would be on the ice for this meaningless season.

Kesler is a gamer and will keep lacing up his skates until someone tells him he can't anymore. He's not going to shut himself down. Someone else will have to do it for him. He and Perry are cut from the same stubborn cloth.

And this talk about Kesler returning to pre-hip injury form (I assume you meant pre-injury form, not post-injury form) is a straw man too. Nobody expects him to be 2015-16 Kesler. Not even Kesler. But he'll return to being a solid 3rd line C for the Ducks in October after 5 months of recovery and rehab. Count on it. So unless Kes wants out, he'll be here next season. He's a leader and a mentor for the younger players, he leaves it all on the ice even when he's physically struggling, and even at half-speed he's still the most frustrating Duck to play against from an opponents' perspective. These are important traits for GMBM, we know already this. Especially since he just called out the 20-somethings for their specific LACK of these traits. GMBM also I'm sure had it in mind that Kesler would eventually be moved down to 3C or 4C even back when the contract extension was signed, so Kesler's eventual decline and the money he will still be earning for that role has already been factored in to the team's long-term budget. He's not going anywhere any time soon unless Kesler says he wants to. 

• Like 1

Yay.  I haven't been able to turn on the TV forever.  I can't watch another blow out.  What I can't figure out is why the team quit on RC.  They are professionals.  Couldn't Captain Getzlaf have called BM or the Samuelis directly or through his agent and said that the team would no longer play for RC.  Why put the season in the trash just to prove a point.

Better things ahead as they could not be any worse.  (Well, I guess they could have lost 17 in a row)

12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Mahura is only 20 (21 in May), so I don't think he's going to push out Lindholm or Fowler any time soon. He's still growing into his body and it would be a mistake to throw him into a top-4 role even as soon as next season. I also didn't see enough from Larsson (turning 22 in April) to show that he's ready for a full-time top-4 role next season. The only young D-man who would have been ready for a top-4 role in 2019-2020 was traded to Pittsburgh for Sprong.

I think that if one of the big-4 are moved this summer, it will be because (a) that player isn't the gamer that BM thought he was, (b) the pairings don't fit and there needs to be a different skill set brought in to make them more cohesive and functional, and (c) the return from trading that player makes sense for the direction GMBM wants to go. A lot will be determined these next 26 games for (a) and (b), and then we'll see if (c) comes about in the offseason. To me, GMBM's comments make it pretty clear that none of those guys are moving by Feb 25th though, unless one of them clearly shows he doesn't want to be a Duck anymore over the next two weeks.

Kesler is a gamer and will keep lacing up his skates until someone tells him he can't anymore. He's not going to shut himself down. Someone else will have to do it for him. He and Perry are cut from the same stubborn cloth.

And this talk about Kesler returning to pre-hip injury form (I assume you meant pre-injury form, not post-injury form) is a straw man too. Nobody expects him to be 2015-16 Kesler. Not even Kesler. But he'll return to being a solid 3rd line C for the Ducks in October after 5 months of recovery and rehab. Count on it. So unless Kes wants out, he'll be here next season. He's a leader and a mentor for the younger players, he leaves it all on the ice even when he's physically struggling, and even at half-speed he's still the most frustrating Duck to play against from an opponents' perspective. These are important traits for GMBM, we know already this. Especially since he just called out the 20-somethings for their specific LACK of these traits. GMBM also I'm sure had it in mind that Kesler would eventually be moved down to 3C or 4C even back when the contract extension was signed, so Kesler's eventual decline and the money he will still be earning for that role has already been factored in to the team's long-term budget. He's not going anywhere any time soon unless Kesler says he wants to. 

It's been 20 months since his surgery...must be a slow healer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

It's been 20 months since his surgery...must be a slow healer. 

Same for Selanne? Took him more than a year of being off the ice to recover from knee surgery.

Kesler clearly came back too early from the surgery last season and then RC proceeded to ride him into the ground for 48 games with no time off to rest. If the team manages his rehab and TOI properly, he'll be a fine 3C next season. At worst, he'll be a Marchant-like 4C who brings a ton of poise and leadership to a room full of young players while the Ducks transition their leadership roles to the next generation.

• Like 2

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Same for Selanne? Took him more than a year of being off the ice to recover from knee surgery.

Kesler clearly came back too early from the surgery last season and then RC proceeded to ride him into the ground for 48 games with no time off to rest. If the team manages his rehab and TOI properly, he'll be a fine 3C next season. At worst, he'll be a Marchant-like 4C who brings a ton of poise and leadership to a room full of young players while the Ducks transition their leadership roles to the next generation.

Stop comparing Teemu. You cant compare one player from another its ridiculous let alone a knee from a hip. If all Kesler needs is 5 months to recover, not sure what makes you a doctor even giving a timeline, then he wouldn't have started the season and even more continue to play during this disaster of a year. 

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I get the sense that you're blaming the team for this.  I don't condone quitting in any sense, but when you bring in a coach who had his team quit on him before (and the leadership of the team is partly the same since that debacle), and who was so terrible in his next job that they ran him out of town on a rail, what do you expect?  Carlyle is an awful coach. 

The players were put in a situation where they had to buy into to an ineffective system in order to make their coach happy, or they had to ignore that system to try to win games.  Some probably went one way and others another way and it created a mess.  It's like if your boss asked you to type up a report for a meeting, but he wanted you to do it on a typewriter while wearing mittens and only using one hand.  Oh, and you're a chef.  You probably try for a while, simply because you respect the chain of authority and want the business to succeed, but then you realize that it's a pointless waste of time and go back to doing what you feel you should be doing to make the business successful.  At that point, yes, you're technically quitting on your boss.  But he's being unreasonable, and it's why he deserved to be fired.

I don't blame the players.  Heck, I don't even blame Carlyle.  He's an old dog who was asked to do new tricks.  He quickly realized he couldn't and went back to the old tricks.  I blame the guy who brought in the old dog expecting something new.

Plenty of blame to go around.  Yes,  I do blame the players for quitting on Carlyle and the fans.  You can’t go from competitive to this kind of awful without it being intententional.  Nobody likes a quitter.  I know I don’t.  That said, I’m not sure why Murray re-hired Carlyle in the first place.  I’m sure the Ducks will be skating at full speed now for at least a couple of weeks until they get mad at Murray and quit on him too.

• Like 1

From the OC Register:

Getzlaf, also signed for two more seasons, is the Ducks leading scorer this season with 11 goals and 36 points in 50 games. He said Sunday he hopes to stay with the franchise moving forward.

“I’m not exempt from anything that’s going on in this room,” Getzlaf said. “I’ve been here my whole career. The last thing I plan on doing is to go somewhere else unless Bob says I have to.

“I’ve always told him that if either side has an opinion that this needs to end, we’ll have the discussion. But I’ve put too much into this organization to not see it through. Going to another team is not in my vocabulary.”

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Stop comparing Teemu. You cant compare one player from another its ridiculous let alone a knee from a hip. If all Kesler needs is 5 months to recover, not sure what makes you a doctor even giving a timeline, then he wouldn't have started the season and even more continue to play during this disaster of a year. 

And what makes you a doctor to know what is actually going on with Kesler's hip and whether he can recover from it to be a useful player in a smaller role? Nobody really knows what is going on with his body except for Kesler, his doctors, and his PT professionals. Heck, two weeks ago he went on IR and everyone was yelling, "oh look, his hip gave out! He's going to shut it down and retire!" And it turns out it was just a strained hamstring and he's now right back in there, not retired. You don't know. I don't know. It's all just speculation (although he does have a history of recovering from his hip surgery in 2011 that we can point to). But what I do know is that Kesler is a true gamer. Just like Perry. Perry has admitted that he has been playing on a bad knee since he was in juniors, and has never bothered to get it fixed until he was forced to. And oh look, Perry is now to a point where he is able to play and he's right back out there, even though his team has been atrocious and won't make the playoffs. These guys want to be in the game whether their team is leading the division or sucking hind teat. If their bodies will let them go, they'll go. Even at 50% capability. So stop with the "why doesn't he just quit on this season because the team sucks" stuff. That line is tired and pointless. That's not how great players are wired.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Plenty of blame to go around.  Yes,  I do blame the players for quitting on Carlyle and the fans.  You can’t go from competitive to this kind of awful without it being intententional.  Nobody likes a quitter.  I know I don’t.  That said, I’m not sure why Murray re-hired Carlyle in the first place.  I’m sure the Ducks will be skating at full speed now for at least a couple of weeks until they get mad at Murray and quit on him too.

Agreed. And they didn't just quit on Carlyle and the fans. They quit on Gibby. That is what's most disheartening to me. I'm thrilled RC is gone, but it should have never come to this.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

And what makes you a doctor to know what is actually going on with Kesler's hip and whether he can recover from it to be a useful player in a smaller role? Nobody really knows what is going on with his body except for Kesler, his doctors, and his PT professionals. Heck, two weeks ago he went on IR and everyone was yelling, "oh look, his hip gave out! He's going to shut it down and retire!" And it turns out it was just a strained hamstring and he's now right back in there, not retired. You don't know. I don't know. It's all just speculation (although he does have a history of recovering from his hip surgery in 2011 that we can point to). But what I do know is that Kesler is a true gamer. Just like Perry. Perry has admitted that he has been playing on a bad knee since he was in juniors, and has never bothered to get it fixed until he was forced to. And oh look, Perry is now to a point where he is able to play and he's right back out there, even though his team has been atrocious and won't make the playoffs. These guys want to be in the game whether their team is leading the division or sucking hind teat. If their bodies will let them go, they'll go. Even at 50% capability. So stop with the "why doesn't he just quit on this season because the team sucks" stuff. That line is tired and pointless. That's not how great players are wired.

oh well, im done beating a dead Kesler horse. If im wrong and he can prove to be an effective player I'll be the first one to apologize and eat my words. I just haven't seen a single shift that inspires any hopes that he regains his ability to be a relentless forechecking shutdown player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

From the OC Register:

Getzlaf, also signed for two more seasons, is the Ducks leading scorer this season with 11 goals and 36 points in 50 games. He said Sunday he hopes to stay with the franchise moving forward.

“I’m not exempt from anything that’s going on in this room,” Getzlaf said. “I’ve been here my whole career. The last thing I plan on doing is to go somewhere else unless Bob says I have to.

“I’ve always told him that if either side has an opinion that this needs to end, we’ll have the discussion. But I’ve put too much into this organization to not see it through. Going to another team is not in my vocabulary.”

Those are words from a leader. He's taking responsibility, says he's not safe. But that's exactly what Bob is looking for and feels he is lacking from the rest of the team. Getz is safe. I'd say only Getz and Gibson are the safe guys at this point. Unless we're gonna get like...Marner or something of the caliber...but even then...I dunno...I really can't see us losing Gibson or Getz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Those are words from a leader. He's taking responsibility, says he's not safe. But that's exactly what Bob is looking for and feels he is lacking from the rest of the team. Getz is safe. I'd say only Getz and Gibson are the safe guys at this point. Unless we're gonna get like...Marner or something of the caliber...but even then...I dunno...I really can't see us losing Gibson or Getz.

Agreed. I would throw in Rakell in there as well. Age + contract fits the team perfectly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

even at half-speed he's still the most frustrating Duck to play against from an opponents' perspective.

But I feel like that is EXACTLY what every single player on this team seemed to have suddenly been missing from their play since the start of this season. As you said, Bob said that, too. But Kesler, Getzlaf, Lindholm, Manson...they haven't been frustrating to play against. Honestly...I felt it was a night and day difference seeing Eaves and Perry out there recently. Sure they aren't fast and seemed confused at times...but that's probably 'cause they aren't used to seeing the Ducks team like this! I watched their play and saw them hitting, hard. Being annoying. Getting in the faces of the other goalie and team. Being pests.

It really seems like someone told this team to stop hitting so hard at the beginning of the season. OR...the injury thing got so frustrating that the players have been afraid to go all in. I hope with BM behind the bench and with a clear message...the players can feel like they have a new goal/focus they can get behind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

But I feel like that is EXACTLY what every single player on this team seemed to have suddenly been missing from their play since the start of this season. As you said, Bob said that, too. But Kesler, Getzlaf, Lindholm, Manson...they haven't been frustrating to play against. Honestly...I felt it was a night and day difference seeing Eaves and Perry out there recently. Sure they aren't fast and seemed confused at times...but that's probably 'cause they aren't used to seeing the Ducks team like this! I watched their play and saw them hitting, hard. Being annoying. Getting in the faces of the other goalie and team. Being pests.

It really seems like someone told this team to stop hitting so hard at the beginning of the season. OR...the injury thing got so frustrating that the players have been afraid to go all in. I hope with BM behind the bench and with a clear message...the players can feel like they have a new goal/focus they can get behind.

The defensive guys were expected to start contributing points in the Ducks "new" system. You can't do that from the penalty box.  So less hitting.And we all know that out of the four only one (Manson) has shown any sustained grit in  his play. Remember, until this season the Ducks had Beachemin and Bieksa to do all of the grit work. So you had those two plus Manson to be the defensive minded , one on each of the three parings. 

Now you just have Manson and he is incapable of hitting anyone without drawing a penalty. 

48 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yes, that would be the NHL referee association.   The Ducks have, without a doubt, been hampered by the poor and biased calls on the ice.

31 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

The defensive guys were expected to start contributing points in the Ducks "new" system. You can't do that from the penalty box.  So less hitting.And we all know that out of the four only one (Manson) has shown any sustained grit in  his play. Remember, until this season the Ducks had Beachemin and Bieksa to do all of the grit work. So you had those two plus Manson to be the defensive minded , one on each of the three parings. 

Now you just have Manson and he is incapable of hitting anyone without drawing a penalty. 

11 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Yes, that would be the NHL referee association.   The Ducks have, without a doubt, been hampered by the poor and biased calls on the ice.

The penalties!! Of course. I completely forgot about that as a factor, too! I feel like the real solution to that is to really beef up our PK...I'd rather us be aggressive and hit and then get a penalty than just be weak on the hits. If we had a scary good PK, that wouldn't really be a factor. We've been getting the bad calls on us for season after season...and what have we done? Oh, just a ton of division titles and the 2nd longest consecutive active playoff streak. Sure, only 1 cup...but...that's not 'cause of penalty calls.

We can complain all we want about the calls going against us...we played well when we played that way. The solution wasn't stop hitting...it's have a good PK.

And that's a really good point about Beauch and Bieksa. Personally...I can see Lindholm being that hitter and Montour has shown some signs of it. Fowler obviously wont be. But he doesn't have to be if the others are.

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

They should be mad at Murray.  He keeps throwing them under the bus when he gave them a terrible coach to work under.  It's hard to find the motivation to give everything you've got when the leaders of your organization are incompetent or unaccountable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

The numbers say that Ritchie is the only guy hitting at a pace that's far below his prior seasons. And I think that's a bit expected because he is working harder to limit is brain-dead moments. Most guys seems to be close to or at their hit/game averages. Outside of the numbers though, my sense of it is that we are appear to be playing more man-to-man in our own end, meaning that the Ducks end up chasing opponents around the ice trying to keep them to the outside rather than having opponents skate into their space and get leveled. I think that lends itself to fewer hits that actually cause turnovers, which then makes it seem like we're hitting a lot less. Our poor zone entry scheme also seems to limit the opportunities of the forward to really put a shoulder into opposing defenders too.

O.C. Register

Who will be the Anaheim Ducks’ next coach? Here are 6 possible candidates

RPE-L-ALEXANDER-0703-112.jpg?w=600

Who’s next? Who will be the next Ducks coach?

At this point, the field could be wide open beyond one obvious leading candidate. But much could change between now and the end of the season, when General Manager Bob Murray intends to relinquish the coaching duties he assumed Sunday when he fired Randy Carlyle.

Others could be fired and become available at season’s end.

Murray said he plans to take his time in selecting a new coach. He showed great patience with Carlyle before finally firing him for the second time. Murray isn’t one to make emotional decisions and when he makes moves they’re often not very surprising.

So who’s next? Who will be the Ducks’ next coach?

Here’s a look at several candidates (ranked in no particular order, with most recent job listed):

Dallas Eakins, San Diego Gulls coach, 2015-present

OK, so Eakins is at the top of the list for a reason. He’s done very well with the Gulls and their best players are the Ducks’ top prospects, save for a few still playing junior-level hockey in Canada or with their European club teams. Last week, Eakins became only the 21st coach in the history of the AHL to win 300 games behind the bench. He has worked hard to re-establish himself as an NHL-worthy coaching candidate after a disastrous stint with the Edmonton Oilers. The odds are pretty good that Murray promotes him and perhaps brings his staff along too.

Joel Quenneville, Chicago Blackhawks coach, 2008-18

“Q,” as he’s known, coached the Blackhawks to Stanley Cup victories in 2010, ’13 and ’15. He outmaneuvered Bruce Boudreau in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals, playing Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane together for the pivotal game at Honda Center. Boudreau countered by taking Ryan Kesler off Toews and replacing him with Ryan Getzlaf. The results were disastrous and the Blackhawks went on to win their third Cup in five years. He’s a long-shot to coach the Ducks because he’s likely to want more than owners Henry and Susan Samueli would want to pay and because he’s not interested in overseeing a rebuilding project. Or remodeling. Or makeover. Or whatever you want to call it.

Todd McLellan, Edmonton Oilers coach, 2015-18

Coached the San Jose Sharks to 311 victories in 540 games over seven seasons, then seemed to have straightened out the perpetually rebuilding Oilers, who made a second-round playoff appearance in 2017. The Ducks knocked them off in seven hard-fought games, but it seemed the torch was passed from Getzlaf and his teammates to Connor McDavid and his. Wrong. The Oilers did a belly flop last season and were skating in long, slow circles to start this one. McLellan shouldered the blame and was fired and Ken Hitchcock was hired on an interim basis.

Ken Hitchcock, Edmonton Oilers interim coach, 2018-present

He could be an interesting option if he decides to leave the Oilers at season’s end, as he said he would when he stepped in for the fired McLellan. He’s coached Dallas, Philadelphia, Columbus, St. Louis, Dallas (again) and Edmonton during a career that included a Stanley Cup championship with the Stars in 1998-99 and a return to the Final the following season. His style of play is often derided as boring and defensive-oriented, which was one of the knocks against Carlyle.

Mike Yeo, St. Louis Blues coach, 2016-18

Murray interviewed him before hiring Carlyle for a second time. Hard to tell how much damage his career took after the Blues under-performed to start this season after an offseason roster makeover seemed to signal the team would be a contender again in the Central Division.

John Stevens, Kings coach, 2017-19

He’s a long shot. The Kings hired him to replace Darryl Sutter after missing the playoffs in 2016-17, and they fired him when they started this season with a 4-8-1 record. He served as an interim coach before Sutter was hired and also coached Philadelphia from 2006 to ’09.

• Like 2

Stevens and Yeo won't see another NHL coaching gig for awhile. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing them in as assistants, where they have had success before...but no, you don't get fired from your team 13-20 games into a season, and then earn a promotion. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, nieder said:

Murray to take over as coach for remainder of the season.

Bout time.....and it should have happen Sooner then later. Bob is going to clean this mess and he knows Ducks need more then just Depth trades to get this team back on track.. From here on end it's Salvage time for this team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck