The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

19 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Watching the post-practice interviews from today... these guys are over the moon that RC is out. They’re not even trying to hide it. Lots of smiles and laughing during the practice too from what the videos show. Even from Bob. After two months of pure garbage, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn around and sweep this homestand now. They SOOOO wanted Carlyle fired. :lol:

I noticed this too.  There's even some twitter video of players at Disneyland (Grant and Kesler and more) visibly relieved and joyous.

I can only guess that there was more than just players vs. coach in this.  Seems like the coaching staff might not have been on board with RC's decisions either.... and maybe the players felt whipsawed - that's the surest way to cause a revolt.

Like everyone else, I'm extremely interested in Wed., but while I'm... happy? that the players appear happier, they're still in the midst of their losing streak.  So, there's definitely a bit of a sting that the team (players, coaching staff, head office) didn't respect the paying fans enough to do something, anything a bit quicker.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

I noticed this too.  There's even some twitter video of players at Disneyland (Grant and Kesler and more) visibly relieved and joyous.

I can only guess that there was more than just players vs. coach in this.  Seems like the coaching staff might not have been on board with RC's decisions either.... and maybe the players felt whipsawed - that's the surest way to cause a revolt.

Like everyone else, I'm extremely interested in Wed., but while I'm... happy? that the players appear happier, they're still in the midst of their losing streak.  So, there's definitely a bit of a sting that the team (players, coaching staff, head office) didn't respect the paying fans enough to do something, anything a bit quicker.

Wed night they have a chance to redeem themselves. I Twitter video of Ducks Day very happy many Ducks Fans attended the event. Hope we see a different team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

It's the happiest place on earth!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

This is interesting and something I somehow missed. A little light as to the problems with the coaching.

Not surprised Bob Murray fired Randy Carlyle with the way the Ducks were playing. Not surprised Murray is taking over as interim coach. I'm sure he wants to see what is happening firsthand and there isn't an assistant on the staff with NHL or AHL head coaching experience.

With the way assistants have been shuffling in and out since Gabby got the hook, it doesn't surprise me. Then again, having MacLean didn't seem to make much difference. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, Thom-74 said:

I'd prefer to find someone who is new to being an nhl head coach.  A Babcock, Boudreau, etc. who has had success and creativity as either a minor league coach or an assistant coach. A proven nhl coach would be fine, but a new face would be a good way to turn the page, so to speak, for our next core of players.

Tldr: I'd like a breath of fresh air more than a proven head coach.

I'd like someone who can sort out a room, see who needs what kind of motivation, and work on their mental resilience. Especially with the younger guys. This old boys club Dehydrated Donkey Dung gets tired when you see someone on their third or fourth NHL coaching job, and still limited success. If you're going to blow it up, make sure you use the right stuff to make a good boom.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:20 PM, dtsdlaw said:

I believe GMBM has been on a scouting trip in Europe and just got back to SoCal too. I wouldn’t be surprised if this plan had been cooking for a few weeks (since the 12-game losing streak) but that GMBM didn’t want to cancel his all-important scouting trip to do this and was hoping the all-star break would buy more time.

I’m also in agreement with semipro that this move could really change things up for the rest of the season. This is not a last place team talent-wise, even playing RC’s terrible system. It is their effort and lack of caring that have made them truly suck lately. The next player who gives a half-a$$ effort with GMBM behind the bench will be gone. Probably to an NHL outpost like New Jersey, Florida or Columbus. So I fully expect the players’ effort to dramatically improve. Which means we probably play middle-of-the-pack hockey for the rest of this season.

So who should we select with the #7 pick? :ph34r:

You know what DTS, #7 sounds about right if they were truly mucking about to get Carlyle binned.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, mulcher said:

A little read from the HF boards about Eakins   

And I thought we were harsh. :ph34r: Funny how Hall, who apparently liked Eakins in Edmonton, is doing pretty well now that he's out from under the sludge. And Yakupov is a double bust at this point. 

On 2/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, sclives said:

Here is what I know (FWIW) and some of this may be obvious to some, so not trying to act as if this is entirely stealth information.

Eakins is adored by his players. So much so that the younger players have openly said they in fact in some way "prefer" to be in SD v. with the "big club". Their admiration for Eakins is to put it mildly: intense. And the Gulls are doing well. Further Eakins and his wife LOVE San Diego and the lifestyle that the Gulls coaching job also affords he and his family.  Dallas is hesitant to take over the Ducks when it was being bantered around in the past. He, as I am told, is not chomping at the bit for a HC job in the league. He is as it has been described "very content coaching younger players and impacting their lives and not being under a microscope. My source is in fact one of the people he has purposefully engaged to be mentors to the younger players.

Murray wants him. But also does not want to mess with the Gulls chemistry as it stands given their current placement and out of respect for so many of the younger players who Murray believes will be permanently placed on the Ducks in the not so distant future. It would be double benefit to also have "their" coach as their NHL coach. Thus a mid year coaching change and hiring a "permanent" replacement is not their approach or even a good option. They were hoping the Ducks would have their late season bounce or at least remain competitive and then take the necessary steps post season. Now what they need to do is cement a deal with Eakins which may involve an agreement he regains the Gulls HC job if dismissed as the Ducks coach. Murray is (supposedly) keenly focused on the locker room environment and what is and is not working. He is beside himself that the team has appeared to have lost their "passion".

If Eakins wants to stay in SD, I'll have him as long as he's willing. But, he's done his penance for offending the WHA's proudest, along with some learning in the interim. The days of the dictator are gone, the days of the communicator are here. Explain things, teach the young guys, they'll go straight through Kassian and Lucic and the rest of the throwbacks on their way to the net. 

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. And they didn't just quit on Carlyle and the fans. They quit on Gibby. That is what's most disheartening to me. I'm thrilled RC is gone, but it should have never come to this.

That is the sin. They must atone. They quit on him so much, and there were nights were you could see Gibby getting to the point of quitting on them in return. But he's too much of a competitor to just sod off out of pettiness.

My four cents (adjusted for inflation): HE GONE! Eakins has earned an interview at the very least. He set the tone in San Diego, and even with the I-5 shuffle at full-tilt boogie, the fledglings are looking good. 

That Teaford article in the register has a lot of nope, but names are good to work with. No Q, no Stevens, no Hitch. Q's had his turn, the Hawks were done by a combo of roster and coaching problems, no more of that needed. Stevens, didn't do well in Philly or LA. No reason to give him a shot at #3 after this year. Hitch should have been done, but he keeps pulling a super ball move. Yeo and McLellan, both twice burned, but did well enough to make things happen. Interview if the pickings are slim. 

Like Thom said above, fresh air is good. I've been staring down lists of NCAA coaches since Carlyle came back. Quinn and Montgomery could've been had after the debacle at the Tank last spring, but Murray had his thumbs in his ears. Looking at Keith Allain at Yale, Rand Pecknold at Quinnipiac, and Scott Sandelin at Minnesota-Duluth. All good contenting teams over the last five, ten years, long enough that a big step up might be just what they're looking for. Talent from all three has proven themselves at the NHL level. Pecknold in particular seems to be adept at bringing lesser-known players along on D, and making them stars. 

Don't rightly know who in the AHL we could poach, but there's gotta be someone, or a few that have been working on adapting to the new style of play, conditioning and mindset. Let's get a jump on things for once, let the rest of the league watch our feathered butts pull away in winning style.

Sorry for the TL;DR, was at Four Continents when the news broke, haven't really digested until this afternoon.

• Like 3

I just watched the Ducks Daily videos. One comment by Murray stuck out for me.

" I'd like to see some players stop gripping their sticks too tightly and there are other players who I want to see get in there and get their jerseys dirty."

That tells me he doesn't like the lack of grit by most of the players. The lack of hits, not protecting the front of the net, and on the offensive side nobody willing to go stand in front of opposing goaltenders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

It's the happiest place on earth!

I hope that fun little vacation/event helped clear their heads a little bit! Who wouldn't love going on Guardians of the Galaxy and Radiator Springs Racers?! That's really the best way to get back into hockey mode!

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

The penalties!! Of course. I completely forgot about that as a factor, too! I feel like the real solution to that is to really beef up our PK...I'd rather us be aggressive and hit and then get a penalty than just be weak on the hits. If we had a scary good PK, that wouldn't really be a factor. We've been getting the bad calls on us for season after season...and what have we done? Oh, just a ton of division titles and the 2nd longest consecutive active playoff streak. Sure, only 1 cup...but...that's not 'cause of penalty calls.

We can complain all we want about the calls going against us...we played well when we played that way. The solution wasn't stop hitting...it's have a good PK.

And that's a really good point about Beauch and Bieksa. Personally...I can see Lindholm being that hitter and Montour has shown some signs of it. Fowler obviously wont be. But he doesn't have to be if the others are.

What I was meaning to point out was the ref's effect on the Ducks mindset, together with the need imposed by the club, to avoid the box.  At some point they just don't want to hit because it gets them to sit and then get grilled by the coach.

8 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

That tells me he doesn't like the lack of grit by most of the players. The lack of hits, not protecting the front of the net, and on the offensive side nobody willing to go stand in front of opposing goaltenders. 

Yet Fowler wears an A. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

What I was meaning to point out was the ref's effect on the Ducks mindset, together with the need imposed by the club, to avoid the box.  At some point they just don't want to hit because it gets them to sit and then get grilled by the coach.

yeah, yeah that makes sense. And i'm sure that is what's happening. I just wish it wasn't the case...and it doesn't have to be! I think they are overthinking it. Hopefully Bob can come in and use his ability to make them stop (over)thinking!

9 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Not sure what Duck fan who watches this team on a consistent basis wouldn't give the same assessment when asked about the teams level of compete.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Not sure what Duck fan who watches this team on a consistent basis wouldn't give the same assessment when asked about the teams level of compete.  

haha yes, very true. I feel like that's been the broken record here on the boards since day 1...

On 2/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, gorbachav5 said:

What the heck are you talking about?  Are you even a fan of the Ducks?  Yes, a lot of people would notice.

Well it got a good response ! Sorry just frustrated with THIS team :ph34r:

QUESTION ???  Now that BM is the Coach AND the GM - does that means he collects  2 large checks for his jobs (2) AND can he fire himself !:P

So, what happens if The Ducks somehow make the playoffs and go on to win the Stanley Cup? Does Brian Murray continue on as the GM/Coach next year?! LOL! :D

Edited by duck123

8 minutes ago, duck123 said:

So, what happens if The Ducks somehow make the playoffs and go on to win the Stanley Cup? Does Brian Murray continue on as the GM/Coach next year?! LOL! :D

If the Ducks win 19 of their remaining 26 games, and just make the playoffs, I'd be fine with giving him the job next season.  Heck, if he does that with this roster, he almost deserves the Coach Of The Year award.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, duck123 said:

BRIAN Murray passed away a year ago from cancer.

BOB Murray should run away to somewhere in the Canadian wilderness with the Cup and hide since no one will believe that this team won the Cup honestly.

• Like 1

If the Ducks win the Cup this season, I will be one of many wishing they had placed a bet right now.  The odds of the Ducks doing so are currently 1,000 To 1.  A $10 bet today would win you $10K.

Edited by HockeyIzCool
  • Like 2

So wait...is HCGMBM on the ice running practice in a sweatsuit and baseball cap?
Pics please.

Is anybody but me thinking how weird it is going to be for the players having BM behind the bench tapping the fellas on the shoulder?
Must see TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

If the Ducks win the Cup this season, I will be one of many wishing they had placed a bet right now.  The odds of the Ducks doing so are currently 1,000 To 1.  A $10 bet today would win you $10K.

Cant wait to see the odds after Getzlaf, Silfverberg and Fowler gets traded...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, wataduk said:

So wait...is HCGMBM on the ice running practice in a sweatsuit and baseball cap?
Pics please.

Is anybody but me thinking how weird it is going to be for the players having BM behind the bench tapping the fellas on the shoulder?
Must see TV.

Front page

34 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Cant wait to see the odds after Getzlaf, Silfverberg and Fowler gets traded...:ph34r:

Getzlaf is not going to be traded.  First he has a NTC clause.  Second, trading him makes us worse going forward, not better.  He is not the problem.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Heh, I got my season ticket holder renewal email today.

The timing is very, very suspect.

Timing is normal, but did you notice the (unexpected) price increase.  Mine went up almost ten percent.  Guess they are trying to make up for no playoff game revenue.

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Getzlaf is not going to be traded.  First he has a NTC clause.  Second, trading him makes us worse going forward, not better.  He is not the problem.

Agreed. Getz/Gibson I assume are the only truly safe candidates.

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

If the Ducks win the Cup this season, I will be one of many wishing they had placed a bet right now.  The odds of the Ducks doing so are currently 1,000 To 1.  A $10 bet today would win you $10K

I don't think i've ever seen a $1,000 to 1. Not even vegas had those odds before the season started last season...I mean. Do it! What's $10??? Might as well.

5 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Would it really surprise you at this point?