The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

CARLYLE IS OUT

2 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

With some negative comments from past players, do you guys think it may have impacted the free agents that were willing to come here? 

Now the RC is gone I think more UFAs will be willing to come here.

• Like 2

Ugh, why do the mods move these threads?  I know Carlyle is now no longer a Duck, but it resets the previously viewed posts, which is annoying.  Any NEW threads about Carlyle should go here, but the existing ones should stay where they are, in my opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Now the RC is gone I think more UFAs will be willing to come here.

I don't think so. Ducks are  in last place, their core players are all within a few seasons of retiring. Ducks were only a destination team after they won the cup and still had Selanne, Niedemeyer and Pronger on the team. Three future hall of famers. 

Until the Ducks demonstrate that they are once again a winning team that can dominate the ice,  have a legitimate chance at the Cup and the ownership is willing to PAY market rates no UFA in their right mind is going to want to sign in Anaheim. Not when you have San Jose who meets all of those criteria.

p.s. Unless said UFA is over 35 and looking for any time of contract.

Edited by Shadowduck

21 hours ago, Fowl said:

Timing is normal, but did you notice the (unexpected) price increase.  Mine went up almost ten percent.  Guess they are trying to make up for no playoff game revenue.

no, i haven't looked yet.  ug.  that's a LOT year over year.

26 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I don't think so. Ducks are  in last place, their core players are all within a few seasons of retiring. Ducks were only a destination team after they won the cup and still had Selanne, Niedemeyer and Pronger on the team. Three future hall of famers. 

Until the Ducks demonstrate that they are once again a winning team that can dominate the ice,  have a legitimate chance at the Cup and the ownership is willing to PAY market rates no UFA in their right mind is going to want to sign in Anaheim. Not when you have San Jose who meets all of those criteria.

p.s. Unless said UFA is over 35 and looking for any time of contract.

This is a great opportunity for a relatively young UFA who wants to have a good chance at becoming the face of a franchise to come in and give their all. We really dont have that player/prospect that is ready to fill the void after Getz is gone. This upcoming draft may provide the opportunity to land that franchise player...only time will tell. If Bob can get Silfverberg and Fowler off the books that alone will free up around 9 mil a year. Mahura can be added to the D corps next season and the remaining can land a decent UFA or two. 

Edited by ducks07

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Ugh, why do the mods move these threads?  I know Carlyle is now no longer a Duck, but it resets the previously viewed posts, which is annoying.  Any NEW threads about Carlyle should go here, but the existing ones should stay where they are, in my opinion.

And isn't he supposed to get a front office job? Will this thread get moved back again when they re-re-hire him (again) into the organ-eye-zation?

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, gorbachav5 said:

Just trying to keep the boards somewhat current. Sorry if it inconvenienced you, but with just 2 of us running the boards now, we do the best we can.

• Like 5

On 2/13/2019 at 8:56 AM, g20topdogg said:

With some negative comments from past players, do you guys think it may have impacted the free agents that were willing to come here? 

Not an easy question to answer. There's a lot of mitigating factors involved.

First and namely it's the money factor. California is tax heavy. But I've heard that's a non-thing, as players are taxed accordingly to whatever state they are playing in. Those rules are bonkers sometimes, at one point if you were a fourth line player, you had to PAY to play in Nashville.

Some players like anonymity that Anaheim brings. Some don't. Top notch players leave a lot of money on the floor in advertising and endorsements if they come to a small market like Anaheim. Something like that I'm sure player's agents remind them of all the time. Agents want money. The big bucks aren't coming from this team.

And speaking of agents, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to see who Anaheim names as the next head coach. If the team goes Quenneville, it shows this team is going all in for winning. If Dallas Eakins is picked, not so much.

Edited by poum

1 hour ago, Administrator said:

Just trying to keep the boards somewhat current. Sorry if it inconvenienced you, but with just 2 of us running the boards now, we do the best we can.

Thank you for what you do.  But in this case it actually takes MORE work for you to move a thread.  I guess I'm of the opinion that if a thread was started in the appropriate section, it should just be left in that section so that people who visit frequently know where to find it and so that last read comments don't get reset.  It's not like it's wildly out of place in the main section.  I appreciate what you guys do, I just don't understand this particular practice.

5 hours ago, poum said:

Not an easy question to answer. There's a lot of mitigating factors involved.

First and namely it's the money factor. California is tax heavy. But I've heard that's a non-thing, as players are taxed accordingly to whatever state they are playing in. Those rules are bonkers sometimes, at one point if you were a fourth line player, you had to PAY to play in Nashville.

Some players like anonymity that Anaheim brings. Some don't. Top notch players leave a lot of money on the floor in advertising and endorsements if they come to a small market like Anaheim. Something like that I'm sure player's agents remind them of all the time. Agents want money. The big bucks aren't coming from this team.

And speaking of agents, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to see who Anaheim names as the next head coach. If the team goes Quenneville, it shows this team is going all in for winning. If Dallas Eakins is picked, not so much.

i don't think i've ever seen kopitar in a tv commercial, except for maybe a fox sports spot (come watch us play).

there may be some places where a hockey player can draw some serious endorsement $$, but i can't think of any current player that can do anything outside the city they play in.  and, Anaheim and OC are not small markets, when you consider the populations where these other teams play.

so... i'm going to have to say i don't agree.  we pay the going rate.  players get to live and play next to the beach and in ~70 degree weather almost year round.  they have access to the rural feel of OC and are minutes away from one of the most urban areas in the world.  our players are on the national teams.  our facilities are probably a few years out of date, and hockey, as a sport, isn't as much a reliable fan draw as elsewhere, but that hasn't ended up with lower pay for the team.

frankly, if we have any particular negative connotation from the context of free agency, it's because the team has been run by the players more often than not, RC has been a dumpster fire, and we get Dehydrated Donkey Dung on by the refs more often than statistically reasonable.  

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i don't think i've ever seen kopitar in a tv commercial, except for maybe a fox sports spot (come watch us play).

there may be some places where a hockey player can draw some serious endorsement $$, but i can't think of any current player that can do anything outside the city they play in.  and, Anaheim and OC are not small markets, when you consider the populations where these other teams play.

so... i'm going to have to say i don't agree.  we pay the going rate.  players get to live and play next to the beach and in ~70 degree weather almost year round.  they have access to the rural feel of OC and are minutes away from one of the most urban areas in the world.  our players are on the national teams.  our facilities are probably a few years out of date, and hockey, as a sport, isn't as much a reliable fan draw as elsewhere, but that hasn't ended up with lower pay for the team.

frankly, if we have any particular negative connotation from the context of free agency, it's because the team has been run by the players more often than not, RC has been a dumpster fire, and we get Dehydrated Donkey Dung on by the refs more often than statistically reasonable.  

I've definitely seen the raccoon and Browns ugly mug posted on LA billboards. But that was around 2012, I think. When the Kings were the coolest thing in town at the moment. And now that hockey sucks in SoCal (except San Diego), there's 800 other sports teams some one can bandwagon on. What I'm saying is, the general area is a very fair weather fan base. Look at the last game the Ducks played at home. After a major shakup (firing RC) the attendance was still poor.

And LA and the OC are very small market teams. Look at a team like Toronto, that team can bury a contract so far underground. They got money.

i still don't follow.  

players play for money, lifestyle, and prestige amongst other players.  maybe they play for records a bit too.

they get all that here, and perhaps a bump up in lifestyle as compared to many other markets.  detroit is god town for hockey, renown throughout the world, but you have to live in or near detroit.  not a draw.

i have no idea what you mean by small market.  our salary outlay is top of the league, and the team makes money year over year on seats and tv.  5% share in our area is 100% share in toronto (there's only 2.7million people in toronto).

so...

That's probably something that comes down to preference. But I do think that RC had some impact on the ufa market, but maybe not too much. Players who are high caliber usually get to pretty much pick where they're going to and we're probably not the first choice for many. But coming down the line a little I would think that some might pass on us, or even have us on their NTC lists because of our coach. 

I also look at teams like the Oilers and them being a dumpster fire means that players are less inclined to want to go there. So they have to overpay, which is also something we might need to do but maybe not as much as the Oilers. 

Overall, I don't think he had a big impact but it certainly might have played into getting guys to want to come here. The only advantage LA has over us is that they're not a budget team, and we still are to a certain extent. 

3 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

That's probably something that comes down to preference. But I do think that RC had some impact on the ufa market, but maybe not too much. Players who are high caliber usually get to pretty much pick where they're going to and we're probably not the first choice for many. But coming down the line a little I would think that some might pass on us, or even have us on their NTC lists because of our coach. 

I also look at teams like the Oilers and them being a dumpster fire means that players are less inclined to want to go there. So they have to overpay, which is also something we might need to do but maybe not as much as the Oilers. 

Overall, I don't think he had a big impact but it certainly might have played into getting guys to want to come here. The only advantage LA has over us is that they're not a budget team, and we still are to a certain extent. 

The Ducks are currently a cap heavy team. I wanna say the Samueli's opened up the wallet when we got a Kesler. Since then they've been riding high on the cap ceiling.

Capfriendly suggests the Ducks have $80.7M tied up in cap space. Leaving some $55K available in cap.

Edited by poum

While we are near the cap right now I think that's because of Vegas and some other TV deals that have generated extra income. But if we would have opened the wallet sooner, we could have gotten the players we needed for the runs at the cup when we had a better chance. It's too little too late. 

3 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

While we are near the cap right now I think that's because of Vegas and some other TV deals that have generated extra income. But if we would have opened the wallet sooner, we could have gotten the players we needed for the runs at the cup when we had a better chance. It's too little too late. 

It's not always that simple. When GMBM was targeting Kelser at the trade deadline a number of years ago, that deal was all but done between the two GM's. Then steps in Vancouvers owner and shuts that down. That could have been a HUGE game changer at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poum said:

It's not always that simple. When GMBM was targeting Kelser at the trade deadline a number of years ago, that deal was all but done between the two GM's. Then steps in Vancouvers owner and shuts that down. That could have been a HUGE game changer at the time.

The question is why did owner step in and stop the deal? Obviously Kess gets sent off the following year but so why stop the deal then? This tells me that Bob could in fact have perhaps offered a bit more to get the trade done the first time around in 2013 why else wait on Vancouvers part? Sorry but to me it sounds like Bob actually failed to counter quickly and resolve it right there and then. And yes, I fully believe having Kess in the lineup against the Kings would have been a game changer and possible 2nd cup for the Ducks. 

49 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The question is why did owner step in and stop the deal? Obviously Kess gets sent off the following year but so why stop the deal then? This tells me that Bob could in fact have perhaps offered a bit more to get the trade done the first time around in 2013 why else wait on Vancouvers part? Sorry but to me it sounds like Bob actually failed to counter quickly and resolve it right there and then. And yes, I fully believe having Kess in the lineup against the Kings would have been a game changer and possible 2nd cup for the Ducks. 

All rumor and speculation, of course, but the owner didn't like the idea of Vancouver looking like they were being sellers.  Everything I've read was that Murray was working his butt off to get that deal done.  In fact, something was just posted today where Brian Burke talked about how everyone was waiting that trade deadline for the Kesler deal to go through so other deals could happen.  I think Vancouver's ownership came in at the last minute and basically said no.  In the offseason, when the path of the organization was clearer, they relented.

Again, this is what I've seen written as rumor and speculation, some of it from insiders, some from questionable sources.  But nothing I've read has indicated that Murray was lowballing the Canucks.

• Like 3

I would assume California taxes, especially the direction we appear to be heading will be an issue.

you have to pay state and Canada taxes for many road games, and you get a tax credit for those taxes, but still have to pay the extreme high end once you reach a certain threshold.  Basically,  anything over 275g is taxed over 10%

just over a million dollars is taxed at 13.3%

there is no way any of this will go down, and I’d bet many rates will rise

add in cost of living in California, especially housing, and it has to be a consideration for some guys.

and we will lose a good player to Seattle.  Just have to deal with it

On 2/11/2019 at 9:50 AM, semipro-1 said:

I believe the players wanted him out for the second time. We have some serious talent and you don’t tank THAT bad with this kind of talent. It’s also why I believe they play harder for rookie goalies, but that’s just my opinion and we’ll see pretty quick. 

Uh-thank you....