Retire9

Gibson trade?

46 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Any hypothetical trade with Gibson would be based on whether the Ducks got Kakko or Hughes with that pick. Such a trade isn’t going to happen but I’d risk taking 10+ years of one of them.

The projected #1 pick for next years draft is better than Hughes so if there was a hypothetical trade, maybe next year would be a better time. No way I would trade Gibby though.

If you could ask a GM, they would likely disagree with you.  First, IMO.Gibson is not Matthews or McDavid level elite.  A goaltender can't carry a team exclusively.  If it's a weak draft year, maybe you don't make that deal, but it most draft years, you'd certainly consider it.  It's a business and the objective is to make the TEAM better.  Anything that accomplishes that end should be considered.  Never get too attached to the players.

@fisix

Edited by Fowl
1 person likes this

21 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Because the thought process behind it is absent of logic, and your second question is irrelevant to the discussion?

Also...waste him? He's 25 years old and just signed a 8 year extension...silly comment.

And all of our trade ideas are purely logical? In absent of logic and reasoning, since I am not in contact with the Aves FO that makes my idea complete hogwash and impossible. The thread was made to see what people would trade Gibby for.

Who's a better team right now, leafs or ducks? 

And are they better because that have the best goalie in the league or because they have had a number of top draft picks? My logic is I'd rather get two top draft picks in one draft instead of sucking for years to accumulate them.

The answer is Leafs and they are better because they've had Matthews, Nylander, marner and they traded for a good goalie.

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The projected #1 pick for next years draft is better than Hughes so if there was a hypothetical trade, maybe next year would be a better time. No way I would trade Gibby though.

Aside with Colorado need a legit starting goaltender and being on the rise, I think that the main reason this thread even came up was because of the insanely unique situation of them lucking the eff out with their Ottawa pick. They stumbled upon a golden ticket. Without that pick, then there’s no reason to entertain a trade like this. Not sure we’ll see something like it happen again. 

But like most have said in this thread, there is no chance that a trade like this happens.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, ducks07 said:

First of all theres no guarantee the Avs get the #1 pick. If they did land the #1 than instead of Gibson, I would try to offer a package such as Boyle, Slivferberg, and our 2nd round pick for the #1 overall. Not sure the Avs. would consider trading it anyways because they are a one line team and landing Hughes would give them a great one two punch down the middle. I feel Gibsons contract is perfect in value and length for the Ducks to build upon...Boyle is a great prospect and should be Gibsons backup starting next season, just not sure we would be able to afford him 2- 3 years from now and that will be around the time our cup window should be open. So, I guess with Boyle we can either trade him now for a high draft pick or wait 2-3 years and trade him at the deadline for a high caliber f/d for when we are poised to make a strong cup run. 

Well itd be for the Ottowa pick and only if that pick was number one

2 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

One partial game from Kevin Boyle and some are ready to trade Gibson???  You don't trade John Gibson.  It's not like we have Freddy with Gibson waiting in the wings.

Haha no, not because of Boyle. The game was if we land the #2 pick would you trade Gibson for the #1 and walk away with both.

2 hours ago, Retire9 said:

Well itd be for the Ottowa pick and only if that pick was number one

Im well aware the Avs own Ottawa's first round pick. There is still no guarantee Ott wins the draft lotto. Just put this idea to bed.

4 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

One partial game from Kevin Boyle and some are ready to trade Gibson???  You don't trade John Gibson.  It's not like we have Freddy with Gibson waiting in the wings.

thx, finally one who is right...

trading Gibson not make a sense, he's still young and can also take a rebuild around him... he can still play 10-15 years.

I would trade earlier Getzlaf then Gibson for this pick..

On 2/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, ducks07 said:

Im well aware the Avs own Ottawa's first round pick. There is still no guarantee Ott wins the draft lotto. Just put this idea to bed.

I have a feeling you're taking this all a bit to serious... yes I know it won't happen. Just a discussion of if people would do it. I got your answer so feel free to move one.

And again ONLY IF NUMBER ONE. Don't know how many times that needs to he pointed out. I am aware it's not a guarantee, why I said so many times only if it's #1 lol.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Aside with Colorado need a legit starting goaltender and being on the rise, I think that the main reason this thread even came up was because of the insanely unique situation of them lucking the eff out with their Ottawa pick. They stumbled upon a golden ticket. Without that pick, then there’s no reason to entertain a trade like this. Not sure we’ll see something like it happen again. 

But like most have said in this thread, there is no chance that a trade like this happens.

Haha thank you... This gotten taken way to serious lol. You'd think I was eklund or something lol. Just meant to spark a conversation during some down time.

Yes I am well aware that it won't happen... I'll just go back to my whole. Sorry I made a scary random scenario... Didn't mean to offend lol.

14 minutes ago, Retire9 said:

Haha thank you... This gotten taken way to serious lol. You'd think I was eklund or something lol. Just meant to spark a conversation during some down time.

Yes I am well aware that it won't happen... I'll just go back to my whole. Sorry I made a scary random scenario... Didn't mean to offend lol.

I liked the topic and the convo it started. Outside the box thinking to distract from actually watching the Ducks lol

3 people like this

22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I liked the topic and the convo it started. Outside the box thinking to distract from actually watching the Ducks lol

Thanks, that's what I was going for.

1 person likes this

On 2/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, ChopSuey said:

Zero trade value

Gibson? Laughable comment.

I love thinking about stuff like this. What would it take to get Matthews out of Toronto? McDavid out of Edmonton? Laine out of Winnipeg?

The only reality to this hypothetical is if GIBSON requests a trade 'cause the team is so bad. But likely we'd be getting some young, already dazzling NHL ready skater, a very promising prospect, and first round picks the next 2 drafts.

Am I asking for too much? I dunno, maybe, but that's why I should be the GM, guys! Look at the haul I'd be asking for! :P 

Only if Gibson DEMANDS trade, and only if opposing team agrees to take on Kesler's contract as part of the deal.