Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Southbayduck

Trouble on the horizon for BM?

Recommended Posts

If the locker room was so toxic that the players could not listen to RC anymore, this move is too late. Should have been addressed during 18 game streak.

Aside from the NTC and NMC, are the other players going to be hustling to make the roster next year (like rookies during preseason) or do they give up and hope for a trade or to just play out their contracts?

Would have loved to hear what the players have to say about RC being gone but will have to wait until their actions on Wednesday. If we win with a blowout it means RC was the issue. If we win or lose in OT or the game is close, it means the system is the issue. If we get blown out it means our players are the issue. At this level I don't think the players are the issue, but some people just can't work together. If the players are the issue BM did a poor job building the team.

 It will be very interesting to hear how the practices go over the next few days and as usual I am interested in what line combos we see with the forwards.

Wouldn't it be a miracle if BM finds his true calling as a coach/GM and gets us back to a playoff team with 26 games to go using some hybrid unknown system?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that we have some " ears " in the locker room that may share some of the issues that the players may be voicing. I would suggest that BM do " an exit " interview  BFORE the next game - to get an HONEST read of the team individually, as well as collectively . That would save a lot of time and give Management some insight BEFORE the Trade Deadline, so that the correct moves will be on  the table. IMHO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read and pretty accurate read.  Including just a paragraph, but the entire article is interesting.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/spraker/bobs-call-to-arms

 

Ten years going on 11, “Bargain Bob” has held the position as GM in Anaheim, and now he’s the GM and the coach. Bob has a reputation for drafting well, but his choices in extension terms, bad or meaningless trades, and handing out no-movement clauses is causing the you-know-what to hit the fan as these contracts aren’t aging well, and neither are some of the players to be frank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Interesting read and pretty accurate read.  Including just a paragraph, but the entire article is interesting.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/spraker/bobs-call-to-arms

 

Ten years going on 11, “Bargain Bob” has held the position as GM in Anaheim, and now he’s the GM and the coach. Bob has a reputation for drafting well, but his choices in extension terms, bad or meaningless trades, and handing out no-movement clauses is causing the you-know-what to hit the fan as these contracts aren’t aging well, and neither are some of the players to be frank.

A good read for sure.  She gets it.  It was painful to read about her suggestion to trade Montour to Toronto - instead he went to Buffalo for whatever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Interesting read and pretty accurate read.  Including just a paragraph, but the entire article is interesting.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/spraker/bobs-call-to-arms

 

Ten years going on 11, “Bargain Bob” has held the position as GM in Anaheim, and now he’s the GM and the coach. Bob has a reputation for drafting well, but his choices in extension terms, bad or meaningless trades, and handing out no-movement clauses is causing the you-know-what to hit the fan as these contracts aren’t aging well, and neither are some of the players to be frank.

She pretty much nails it with Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really find it annoying to bring up Getz, Perry's, or Kesler's contracts. Hindisght is 20/20...but there is NO way anyone thought Kesler would have dropped so much by now. He showed no signs of slowing down till 2017 off-season. And he hasn't been the same since. Perry and Getz earned their contracts. Earned them more than most players these days seem to "earn" their contracts. We did so much with paying them not nearly what they were providing in those early years. And to keep them, and to keep ourselves in the good graces of other players if we were NOT to reward them, we'd be so much worse off now than if we didn't sign them to these contracts. No player wants to play for a team that doesN'T reward the hard work of their players. When they are severely underpaid for what they deliver. The consequences of NOT signing Getz/Pears to their current contract is worse than where we are now.

It's so easy to just look at how they are now and be like "well these contracts are dumb!!!!"

I've got no defense on the Bieksa and Stoner contracts lol I...I just don't understand lol

I also disagree with the underplaying of the "negative atmosphere." Unless these players are the most mentally strong young guys in the league...they come in to see leaders and veterans being negative and teaching bad habits...that's not good for development. Especially when they can be somewhere where there is a much more positive atmosphere like San Diego! Bringing them in after RC left was smart.

I don't disagree with her take on we should dump more salary and get some more futures. I have no comment on that. It sucks the position we are in...but I just can't completely blame Bob for it. His asset management doesn't seem great. But I just wanted to defend the Getz, Perry, and Kesler contracts. That's really it.

He's getting more picks...and well, that's his strength sooo...at least that's happening.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the TDL done and over with it....Let's not be surprise Ducks free up cap space and got some Draft Picks in return. What really Bugs me is the fact Murray has failed pull off the Big Trade NEEDED to Improve our team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team, then, should NEVER offer any player an 8 year contract extension, or NMC. Period!  Because as Jasoaks said, "hindsight is 20/20" and fans are now piddleed over the Kesler and Perry contracts. Murray is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. 

 

And Vegas signs Stone to an 8 year extension with a NMC. What a bunch of idiots. 8 years and a NMC. HORRORS. 

Edited by dukitup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I really find it annoying to bring up Getz, Perry's, or Kesler's contracts. Hindisght is 20/20...but there is NO way anyone thought Kesler would have dropped so much by now. He showed no signs of slowing down till 2017 off-season. And he hasn't been the same since. Perry and Getz earned their contracts. Earned them more than most players these days seem to "earn" their contracts. We did so much with paying them not nearly what they were providing in those early years. And to keep them, and to keep ourselves in the good graces of other players if we were NOT to reward them, we'd be so much worse off now than if we didn't sign them to these contracts. No player wants to play for a team that doesN'T reward the hard work of their players. When they are severely underpaid for what they deliver. The consequences of NOT signing Getz/Pears to their current contract is worse than where we are now.

It's so easy to just look at how they are now and be like "well these contracts are dumb!!!!"

I've got no defense on the Bieksa and Stoner contracts lol I...I just don't understand lol

I also disagree with the underplaying of the "negative atmosphere." Unless these players are the most mentally strong young guys in the league...they come in to see leaders and veterans being negative and teaching bad habits...that's not good for development. Especially when they can be somewhere where there is a much more positive atmosphere like San Diego! Bringing them in after RC left was smart.

I don't disagree with her take on we should dump more salary and get some more futures. I have no comment on that. It sucks the position we are in...but I just can't completely blame Bob for it. His asset management doesn't seem great. But I just wanted to defend the Getz, Perry, and Kesler contracts. That's really it.

He's getting more picks...and well, that's his strength sooo...at least that's happening.

Why would you then add Silfverberg and Henrique to that list of contracts then? Especially when the Ducks are not contending? At least with Getzlaf and Perry, they were franchise players in their primes when they got their mega deals. Kesler was a risk but that Murray brought in and overpaid for to try and get the Ducks over the hump before their play completely fell off.

The Ducks are just handicapping themselves. Dimitri Filipovic tweeted the point that the Ducks are slated to have $35 mil tied up in Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Henrique and Silfverberg for the next two seasons. That’s pretty brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I really find it annoying to bring up Getz, Perry's, or Kesler's contracts. Hindisght is 20/20...but there is NO way anyone thought Kesler would have dropped so much by now. He showed no signs of slowing down till 2017 off-season. And he hasn't been the same since. Perry and Getz earned their contracts. Earned them more than most players these days seem to "earn" their contracts. We did so much with paying them not nearly what they were providing in those early years. And to keep them, and to keep ourselves in the good graces of other players if we were NOT to reward them, we'd be so much worse off now than if we didn't sign them to these contracts. No player wants to play for a team that doesN'T reward the hard work of their players. When they are severely underpaid for what they deliver. The consequences of NOT signing Getz/Pears to their current contract is worse than where we are now.

It's so easy to just look at how they are now and be like "well these contracts are dumb!!!!"

I've got no defense on the Bieksa and Stoner contracts lol I...I just don't understand lol

I also disagree with the underplaying of the "negative atmosphere." Unless these players are the most mentally strong young guys in the league...they come in to see leaders and veterans being negative and teaching bad habits...that's not good for development. Especially when they can be somewhere where there is a much more positive atmosphere like San Diego! Bringing them in after RC left was smart.

I don't disagree with her take on we should dump more salary and get some more futures. I have no comment on that. It sucks the position we are in...but I just can't completely blame Bob for it. His asset management doesn't seem great. But I just wanted to defend the Getz, Perry, and Kesler contracts. That's really it.

He's getting more picks...and well, that's his strength sooo...at least that's happening.

His handing out NMC/NTC/LNTC is what's annoying. He found out how bad it was during the LV draft. Knowing Seattle is coming up, he should be VERY careful offering those contracts. Look at Fowler's for example. A 4 team trade?  Doesn't leave a lot of options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Why would you then add Silfverberg and Henrique to that list of contracts then? Especially when the Ducks are not contending? At least with Getzlaf and Perry, they were franchise players in their primes when they got their mega deals. Kesler was a risk but that Murray brought in and overpaid for to try and get the Ducks over the hump before their play completely fell off.

The Ducks are just handicapping themselves. Dimitri Filipovic tweeted the point that the Ducks are slated to have $35 mil tied up in Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Henrique and Silfverberg for the next two seasons. That’s pretty brutal.

it's not that brutal.  what teams are you comparing us to?  fantasy league, or the nhl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Why would you then add Silfverberg and Henrique to that list of contracts then? Especially when the Ducks are not contending? At least with Getzlaf and Perry, they were franchise players in their primes when they got their mega deals. Kesler was a risk but that Murray brought in and overpaid for to try and get the Ducks over the hump before their play completely fell off.

The Ducks are just handicapping themselves. Dimitri Filipovic tweeted the point that the Ducks are slated to have $35 mil tied up in Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Henrique and Silfverberg for the next two seasons. That’s pretty brutal.

Yeah, you know, that is a good point. I wasn't trying to say he's perfect...just defending the core contracts. I...intentionally didn't mention Ricos haha and I don't fully know the details on Silfs like if it includes NTC or NMC or something. Do we know yet? But you're right. It's not great. It's like with the Stoner/Bieksa contracts...I can't defend those...

30 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

His handing out NMC/NTC/LNTC is what's annoying. He found out how bad it was during the LV draft. Knowing Seattle is coming up, he should be VERY careful offering those contracts. Look at Fowler's for example. A 4 team trade?  Doesn't leave a lot of options. 

Yeah, he should be careful. So...I dunno. I just prefer to hope for the best haha

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fisix said:

it's not that brutal.  what teams are you comparing us to?  fantasy league, or the nhl?

To any team that wants to progress towards a Cup. Not one of those players is likely to hit 30 goals in a season moving forward. Getzlaf is the only one that you could bet on getting 50+ points. That is a horrible value of money to production.

For comparison. Nikita Kucherov has 100 points this year so far. Getzlaf, kesler, Henrique and Silfverberg combined have 102 lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

His handing out NMC/NTC/LNTC is what's annoying. He found out how bad it was during the LV draft. Knowing Seattle is coming up, he should be VERY careful offering those contracts. Look at Fowler's for example. A 4 team trade?  Doesn't leave a lot of options. 

It's the market place these days. It's an issue with every team. They need to be given to get players to sign, especially the vets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

It's the market place these days. It's an issue with every team. They need to be given to get players to sign, especially the vets.

I actually haven't compared...do we have more than most teams? I wouldn't be surprised if players coming to sunny SoCal want that more than other cities lol once you're here for a bit...especially as a vet...who wouldn't want to retire out here?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I actually haven't compared...do we have more than most teams? I wouldn't be surprised if players coming to sunny SoCal want that more than other cities lol once you're here for a bit...especially as a vet...who wouldn't want to retire out here?!

I did a while ago earlier in the season. We are about average

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

I did a while ago earlier in the season. We are about average

thanks for doing that. Yes they suck, but it's part of the landscape these days.  It's not the NMC that hurt us, it's the injury to Kesler and the seriousness of it that can't be predicted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think we may now be below average in NMCs.  we basically have 4, with one of those a modified NMC.  arguably 3 of those are to franchise players.

Eaves doesn't really count because he couldn't be traded at this point even if it weren't an NMC, unless some team needed cap I guess.

Miller doesn't really count because we want him and he's extremely inexpensive.

We're out from under Bieksa, so I don't think we're in a position that's worth complaining about, in the NHL.  Now, in some kind of fantasy league where franchise players cost $3M a year and either no player wants an NMC or they all agree to waive for twinkies...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dukitup said:

This team, then, should NEVER offer any player an 8 year contract extension, or NMC. Period!  Because as Jasoaks said, "hindsight is 20/20" and fans are now piddleed over the Kesler and Perry contracts. Murray is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. 

 

And Vegas signs Stone to an 8 year extension with a NMC. What a bunch of idiots. 8 years and a NMC. HORRORS. 

I don't think anyone was really upset with the Perry contract when it was handed out. I think people even knew that the last few years of the deal may not be worth the money, but at the same time, Perry was in the middle of his prime and one of the top goal scoring threats of the league while the Ducks were one of the top teams of the league. It would have been counter intuitive to the team's vision had they let him walk or trade.

The Kesler one is much harder to defend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't think anyone was really upset with the Perry contract when it was handed out. I think people even knew that the last few years of the deal may not be worth the money, but at the same time, Perry was in the middle of his prime and one of the top goal scoring threats of the league while the Ducks were one of the top teams of the league. It would have been counter intuitive to the team's vision had they let him walk or trade.

The Kesler one is much harder to defend.

Harder to defend yes and bad towards the last 1-2 years maybe but if his hips would have held up it wasn't a really bad deal for at least a couple of years. Kesler at his peak is a beast and very valuable. Then again if they knew he had problems (don't know if they did) it's of course really hard to defend. But I feel so bad for the guy. I loved to see him play when he was healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Harder to defend yes and bad towards the last 1-2 years maybe but if his hips would have held up it wasn't a really bad deal for at least a couple of years. Kesler at his peak is a beast and very valuable. Then again if they knew he had problems (don't know if they did) it's of course really hard to defend. But I feel so bad for the guy. I loved to see him play when he was healthy.

As do I....I think it was best IF they just had him sit for season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After last night's game against the Canadians VPGMHCBM will be NOMINATED and WIN  the JACK ADAMS ( best coach ) TROPHY !!!! ( sarcasm ) :wacko: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...