Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

List of Interviewees for Ducks HC

Recommended Posts

On the eve of GMBM's coaching debut, I think its already time to start looking forward to who will replace him as head coach at the conclusion of this season. Eakins seems to be the popular choice (personally, I don't like him as the choice) but you also get the feeling that GMBM is going to conduct a pretty exhaustive search this time around after not really trying very hard with his last two hires (Boudreau basically fell into his lap, and Carlyle was a pretty lazy choice). So who is on everyone's list of interview candidates? There are a lot of smart hockey fans on this board so I'm curious to see your lists and your insights. Please list your top 2-3 candidates and reasons why. To start, here are mine:

1. Adam Oates - former Mighty Duck and current offensive consultant to the LA Kings (hired on after Stevens was fired). He is clearly an offensive mind and has a reputation for being a teacher rather than a task master. That would be great for the younger players IMO. He also has some head coaching experience with Washington and New Jersey, and I don't think he'd break the bank to come here. Do I think he can win a Cup? I don't know. But he might be the perfect guy to guide this team until it is a legit contender again.

2. Kevin Dineen - recently fired by Chicago when Coach Q was canned. Dineen ran the Hawks PP when they beat us in 2015 and won a Cup with them. He was also the HC in Portland back when the Pirates were the Ducks AHL affiliate (i.e. when Getz/Pears were there briefly) and so he already has some connections with GMBM, who was the SVP of Hockey Ops and was responsible for player development at the time. Dineen is another offensive mind, and has some HC experience at the NHL level with Florida. 

3. Lane Lambert - current assistant coach with the Isles, he was also an assistant under Trotz in Washington and Nashville. I would love to have Trotz, but since he's already got a job and isn't coming to Anaheim any time soon, how about one of Trotz long-time assistants? Lambert is another former NHL winger (i.e. an offensive mind) and he has four years of head coaching experience in the AHL.  I have no idea if Lambert wants to be an NHL head coach, and I also don't know if GMBM has any connections to him (we all know how GMBM loves professional nepotism!), but he'd be an interesting candidate to look at IMO.

So what say you all about other potential candidates?  

[... and if you're just going to say "Eakins will be the next head coach" to try to kill this thread, feel free to move along without posting here.]

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the three you mention, Oates is the only one I'd feel ok with.  I'd prefer he go to head coach the Gulls when Eakins is moved up, before contemplating heading our team.  Dineen looks good on paper, but I don't think as good a choice.  Lambert is an unknown to me, and I'm sort of unhappy with assistant coaches in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Of the three you mention, Oates is the only one I'd feel ok with.  I'd prefer he go to head coach the Gulls when Eakins is moved up, before contemplating heading our team.  Dineen looks good on paper, but I don't think as good a choice.  Lambert is an unknown to me, and I'm sort of unhappy with assistant coaches in general.

Please feel free to add your own ideas and not just critique mine. I really am interested to hear about other candidates. This board has a lot of very knowledgeable hockey fans (far more knowledgeable than the OC Register apparently, since they put Hitch, Yeo and Stevens on their list :blink:) and I'm interested in hearing some names other than just Eakins and Quenneville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to face it... Bobs strength has never been on pulling in new talent from the league whether it be via a player trade partner or looking for a coach. He much rather work in his silo and draft players and resign players already under his management. I’ve said countless times, Bob never stiked me a top GM but rather a pretty good assistant GM. I never got the impression that he has great trade negotiation skills with people outside of his “known” sphere. Definitely a concrete thinker in that he seldom travels outside of what has previously worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Please feel free to add your own ideas and not just critique mine. I really am interested to hear about other candidates. This board has a lot of very knowledgeable hockey fans (far more knowledgeable than the OC Register apparently, since they put Hitch, Yeo and Stevens on their list :blink:) and I'm interested in hearing some names other than just Eakins and Quenneville.

Two names that has left been floating around that I like are Sheldon Keefe of the Toronto Marlies and DJ Smith who is an assistant to the Maple Leafs. Keefe won the Calder Cup last year and Smith has been with the Leafs since 2015. Smith is apparently highly regarded by players and Babcock. He sounds like is a key piece to their resurgence because of how he’s been able work with their young star players. He’s someone that I would want to take a serious look at. I mean, we do enough swapping with Toronto as it is, right?

Adam Oates is a very interesting option. I like him personally and he’s making a name for himself with the work he’s doing as a tutor to some big name NHL players. He also has a history with the Ducks but I don’t know if he even wants to get back into coaching.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll stick with the guy who I've hoped would someday be behind the Ducks bench......Scott Niedermayer.  I know it's not at all likely, and that he has Zero coaching experience, but I've always felt like he had the skills to see and analyze the game well enough to make the transition from playing to coaching when he was ready.

Since I doubt that will happen, I'll still hold out hope that perhaps he'll be hired as a Defensive Assistant Coach, with the possibility that someday he'll want to be a head coach, though I suspect that would be elsewhere.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Please feel free to add your own ideas and not just critique mine. I really am interested to hear about other candidates. This board has a lot of very knowledgeable hockey fans (far more knowledgeable than the OC Register apparently, since they put Hitch, Yeo and Stevens on their list :blink:) and I'm interested in hearing some names other than just Eakins and Quenneville.

Again secondary to Eakins:

Sheldon Keefe - current head coach of the Marlies and Calder Cup winner.  Youngish, not a long coaching career, but has done a lot with what he's been given.

Igor Nikitin - was assistant to long term KHL head coach, took over when that guy was retired, seems to be doing well.  Doubtful he'd take the Gulls job, and unclear if he knows english well enough to coach in the NHL.  I would expect him to be a taskmaster.  Maybe, just maybe, we could bring him in as an assistant... unclear.  Way, way out of the box choice.

Roger Rönnberg - swedish.  Seems to be good at building teams from their farm system.  Also out of the box choice.  Also probably not willing to take the Gulls or an assistant position.

Jukka Jalonen - finnish.  Won stuff.  Would love this out of the box choice.

Bob Hartley - he's had issues in the NHL, but I liked him when I met him.  He's got a good job now, so...

John Madden - ahl head coach.  Good Gulls replacement.

Scott Sandelin - NCAA winning coach.  Good Gulls replacement.  Could probably have him as assistant.

Mel Pearson - NCAA winning coach.  Probably wouldn't take an AHL assignment or an assistant coach position.  He would be an out of the box choice.

 

Of the above, I'd probably take a risk on RR and JJ, would at least investigate BH, and probably reach out to SS and MP.  IN would be huge, but probably too many logistics issues to be a real option.  SK would be a steal, I think, and it'd probably piddle off the leafs (or continue our incestuous relationship with them).

Edited by Fisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'll stick with the guy who I've hoped would someday be behind the Ducks bench......Scott Niedermayer.  I know it's not at all likely, and that he has Zero coaching experience, but I've always felt like he had the skills to see and analyze the game well enough to make the transition from playing to coaching when he was ready.

Since I doubt that will happen, I'll still hold out hope that perhaps he'll be hired as a Defensive Assistant Coach, with the possibility that someday he'll want to be a head coach, though I suspect that would be elsewhere.

Just have to add - he doesn't have "zero" coaching experience (he's coached hockey at various levels since he retired)... but he definitely does not have a lot of professional hockey coaching experience as a coach. 

As you note, he's not currently in a position to be considered for a head coaching job at the NHL or AHL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'll stick with the guy who I've hoped would someday be behind the Ducks bench......Scott Niedermayer.  I know it's not at all likely, and that he has Zero coaching experience, but I've always felt like he had the skills to see and analyze the game well enough to make the transition from playing to coaching when he was ready.

Since I doubt that will happen, I'll still hold out hope that perhaps he'll be hired as a Defensive Assistant Coach, with the possibility that someday he'll want to be a head coach, though I suspect that would be elsewhere.

Niedermayer strikes me as one of those savants who was amazing as a player but might not be able to teach it all that well, similar to Gretzky's doomed coaching stint.  I don't have any basis for that other than a gut feeling, but I also know that if Niedermayer wanted to be a coach, he'd be one already somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Niedermayer strikes me as one of those savants who was amazing as a player but might not be able to teach it all that well, similar to Gretzky's doomed coaching stint.  I don't have any basis for that other than a gut feeling, but I also know that if Niedermayer wanted to be a coach, he'd be one already somewhere.

Interesting. I totally get what you are saying. It’s like when a superstar goalie tries to be a goaltending coach and they fail to translate and teach something that they instinctively know. Sometimes it’s a deeper understanding of how things work and seeing things others don’t but so incredibly hard to fully describe and teach it to others. HOWEVER, my gut feeling tells me that Scotty could actually be quite good. The guy is a thinker through and through. He also has a calm demeanor that is catching and is rather zen like (Phil Jackson-ish), this alone would be invaluable as a benchboss (remember when Daniel Alfredsson shot a puck at him in the Finals? ....Cool and collected). I could see him studying players and using his impressive intuitive understanding to help them reach their potential. It’s this thinker mentality coupled with his deep understanding of the game that could steer a team to higher heights.  Also, there are quite a few defensive stalwarts who have played the game and later became coaches, I think Scotty would be great as a coach. Maybe one day eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oates is a good candidate, he was a smart player, a gritty player, and he has a good amount of experience behind the bench.

Sheldon Keefe sounds like an interesting idea too. Ahl coach who has either lucked out, or has done a good job with Toronto's prospects it would seem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rikard Grönborg. Don't know what he's up to nowadays but if I'm not mistaken he's coached Team Sweden to consecutive gold medals at the World Championships. He knows some of our players, he's Swedish and he has a nasty beard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Rikard Grönborg. Don't know what he's up to nowadays but if I'm not mistaken he's coached Team Sweden to consecutive gold medals at the World Championships. He knows some of our players, he's Swedish and he has a nasty beard.

 

oh yeah, good ole Grönborg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, Fisix said:

Again secondary to Eakins:

Sheldon Keefe - current head coach of the Marlies and Calder Cup winner.  Youngish, not a long coaching career, but has done a lot with what he's been given.

Igor Nikitin - was assistant to long term KHL head coach, took over when that guy was retired, seems to be doing well.  Doubtful he'd take the Gulls job, and unclear if he knows english well enough to coach in the NHL.  I would expect him to be a taskmaster.  Maybe, just maybe, we could bring him in as an assistant... unclear.  Way, way out of the box choice.

Roger Rönnberg - swedish.  Seems to be good at building teams from their farm system.  Also out of the box choice.  Also probably not willing to take the Gulls or an assistant position.

Jukka Jalonen - finnish.  Won stuff.  Would love this out of the box choice.

Bob Hartley - he's had issues in the NHL, but I liked him when I met him.  He's got a good job now, so...

John Madden - ahl head coach.  Good Gulls replacement.

Scott Sandelin - NCAA winning coach.  Good Gulls replacement.  Could probably have him as assistant.

Mel Pearson - NCAA winning coach.  Probably wouldn't take an AHL assignment or an assistant coach position.  He would be an out of the box choice.

 

Of the above, I'd probably take a risk on RR and JJ, would at least investigate BH, and probably reach out to SS and MP.  IN would be huge, but probably too many logistics issues to be a real option.  SK would be a steal, I think, and it'd probably piddle off the leafs (or continue our incestuous relationship with them).

I'm feeling let down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, who is the Jay Woodcroft that has the Bakersfield Condors on a 15-game winning streak?

I mean, we talk a lot about Eakins, but the Gulls are still 4th in the West, with the potential to quickly drop to 6th if they don't take games in hand.  They are also relatively high in PIM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gotchabari said:

So, who is the Jay Woodcroft that has the Bakersfield Condors on a 15-game winning streak?

I mean, we talk a lot about Eakins, but the Gulls are still 4th in the West, with the potential to quickly drop to 6th if they don't take games in hand.  They are also relatively high in PIM.

:ph34r: Randy to coach the Gullz, Woodcroft to coach the Dooks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Adam Oats as coach and Dan Bylsma as assistant coach.  Dan won a cup with Pittsburgh, was the youngest and fastest coach to win 200 games, and won the Jack Adams trophy.  He had a reputation of being tough with players but between Him and Adam maybe that can be a non-issue.   Just throwing something new out there to chew on.....

Edited by brettp26
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth noting for all those who believe Dallas Eakins will be the next coach:

Montour - traded

Pettersson - traded

Welinski - UFA

Megna - UFA

Larsson - not NHL ready

Mahura - not NHL ready

Eakins is a defensive-minded coach (and former NHL defenseman) who prefers a complex defensive system, and yet there is a solid chance that NONE of the Gulls D-men he has "developed" will be on the Ducks roster next season. Explain to me again why Eakins should be the next HC?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Worth noting for all those who believe Dallas Eakins will be the next coach:

Montour - traded

Pettersson - traded

Welinski - UFA

Megna - UFA

Larsson - not NHL ready

Mahura - not NHL ready

Eakins is a defensive-minded coach (and former NHL defenseman) who prefers a complex defensive system, and yet there is a solid chance that NONE of the Gulls D-men he has "developed" will be on the Ducks roster next season. Explain to me again why Eakins should be the next HC?

This is actually why I don't want him either.  The player development isn't solely on Carlyle.  A lot of it is on Eakins, and it just hasn't happened.  There was a great piece on Eakins by Jordan Samuels-Thomas who was in the Ducks system and is now playing overseas.  He raved about how great it was to play for Eakins.  And that might be true, but at some point you need a coach who actually makes players betters, not one who just makes them feel good about themselves.

Here's the piece (it's paywalled, but seriously, if you can afford it, get the subscription; it's worth it): https://theathletic.com/804266/2019/02/18/theres-no-better-man-for-the-job-in-anaheim-why-dallas-eakins-is-the-right-fit-as-the-next-ducks-coach/

Edit: Just to be clear, while I enjoyed the piece and JST's take on Eakins, nothing in there convinced me that he'd be a good NHL coach.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sens just fired Guy Boucher. 

I’m not saying hire him, but honestly as bad as the Sens were this season I felt they actually overperformed. Outside of a handful of players that was an AHL squad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nieder said:

Sens just fired Guy Boucher. 

I’m not saying hire him, but honestly as bad as the Sens were this season I felt they actually overperformed. Outside of a handful of players that was an AHL squad. 

Pass on Boucher. He's now coached two NHL teams into the basement (Tampa and Ottawa), and it sounds like he is a difficult guy to play for.

When I first saw this news, I was figuring that Sens management had realized Boucher had created a toxic environment in the locker room (ala Carlyle) and didn't want to have it continue to infect all of their young players and do lasting damage. And then I saw they hired Marc Crawford... <_<

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Pass on Boucher. He's now coached two NHL teams into the basement (Tampa and Ottawa), and it sounds like he is a difficult guy to play for.

When I first saw this news, I was figuring that Sens management had realized Boucher had created a toxic environment in the locker room (ala Carlyle) and didn't want to have it continue to infect all of their young players and do lasting damage. And then I saw they hired Marc Crawford... <_<

Yeah no kidding, what the hell is that about. Talk about a dinosaur. They might as well bring in Mike Keenan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nieder said:

Yeah no kidding, what the hell is that about. Talk about a dinosaur. They might as well bring in Mike Keenan. 

Keenan probably wouldn't take the job unless they made him GM too. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

 

Interesting read! He seems like a thinking kids man who is in tune to people and how they operate. He also was not an elite player himself which in of itself good be a good thing as he might be better in teaching others and knowing how to make players be successful. He’s also not too old and hopefully not stuck in some archaic past. I worrry that other more established NHL coaches are stuck in the past and have not embraced the new NHL. sounds like he might be a decent enough coach though his record even for the Gulls is not overwhelmingly great, good but not great. We’ll see. I wouldn’t mind him as coach he already knows half the team so that a start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about re-hire Randy Carlyle as coach, for the third time? LOL. JK. Just a little Sunday evening humor. Okay, see ya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duck123 said:

How about re-hire Randy Carlyle as coach, for the third time? LOL. JK. Just a little Sunday evening humor. Okay, see ya. 

He will probably come out and say that he's reconfigured his style and he's adapted to the modern nhl yada yada yada he's our coach again next season with a new approach :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 12:27 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Worth noting for all those who believe Dallas Eakins will be the next coach:

Montour - traded

Pettersson - traded

Welinski - UFA

Megna - UFA

Larsson - not NHL ready

Mahura - not NHL ready

Eakins is a defensive-minded coach (and former NHL defenseman) who prefers a complex defensive system, and yet there is a solid chance that NONE of the Gulls D-men he has "developed" will be on the Ducks roster next season. Explain to me again why Eakins should be the next HC?

Montour still developed even though he was traded. That's on management that we no longer have that asset, not Eakins. I'd say that was positive development in his case. Pettersson developed enough to a point where Anaheim traded him for an asset in Sprong. Not sure what either player's future holds, but I would say that result would be neutral. 

Welinski was the 83rd overall pick and Megna was the 210th overall pick in their draft classes. Neither of them are long term pieces, or even long term NHLers in my opinion, but the fact that they were able to reach the NHL given their draft positions should be seen as positives. I don't think Welinski or Megna were ever seen as top prospects by scouts or pundits so I'm not sure why they would be held over Eakins head.

Larsson and Mahura are 20 and 21. Larsson should definitely be further in his development than what I have seen, but both of them are still early in their development. Again, I don't see how this is a slight against Eakins at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...