The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtsdlaw

List of Interviewees for Ducks HC

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, DucksFan_08 said:

Rikard Grönborg. Don't know what he's up to nowadays but if I'm not mistaken he's coached Team Sweden to consecutive gold medals at the World Championships. He knows some of our players, he's Swedish and he has a nasty beard.

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

@ForeverMightyFM Darren Dreger was recently on @spittinchiclets and listed the Anaheim Ducks as a possibility for Rikard Gronborg as head coach OR assistant if the Ducks promote Dallas Eakins.

I'd be happy.

Solid piece in the Athletic today on Lane Lambert and why he would be a good fit for the Ducks. I recommend it for anyone who has ponied up for the subscription fees.

58 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Solid piece in the Athletic today on Lane Lambert and why he would be a good fit for the Ducks. I recommend it for anyone who has ponied up for the subscription fees.

They just keep having great articles! someone mentions a good article...good interview...interesting sound bite...oh, it's with The Athletic!

Would he be a good fit, do you think? As someone who has read that article? lol

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Curious as to your thoughts dts, at the end of the article many of the comments alluded to their opinion Lambert and Eakins were very much alike in a lot of ways. That's the impression I also got (based upon player comments). Wonder what you thought similarities/differences were. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Curious as to your thoughts dts, at the end of the article many of the comments alluded to their opinion Lambert and Eakins were very much alike in a lot of ways. That's the impression I also got (based upon player comments). Wonder what you thought similarities/differences were. 

My thoughts on this are probably worth zero since I've never been in a professional hockey locker room or on the bench of a professional hockey team, and its also hard to get a feel for how a coach runs the room just by watching games. I also have no idea what kind of a system Lambert would implement here once he's running his own show, and I honestly haven't seen enough Gulls games to have a strong grasp of what Eakins is running these days either. Tactics aside, they both seem very well liked by their players, although in Eakins case we're talking about kids and career-AHL players and in Lambert's case we're talking about guys who have actually played for and won a Stanley Cup. With that, I do prefer Lambert's resume, simply because of his NHL experience. Eakins has been a decent AHL coach, but he has never seen NHL playoff ice from behind the bench, either as an HC or as an assistant. Lambert on the other hand has coached in the NHL playoffs almost every year since coming up from the AHL in 2011 (for three different NHL clubs now) and has even hoisted the Stanley Cup. My personal preference would be for a coach who has been there before - i.e. someone who already knows what it takes to squeeze the most out of elite NHL players during the hardest parts of an NHL season, not just kids in the AHL trying to make their first NHL roster. I also like that Lambert has been mentored by one of the greats in Barry Trotz. To me, Eakins kind of seems to be winging it (like he was in Edmonton), since he hasn't ever coached under the tutelage of a great NHL coach. With Eakins, I think you'd expect to see a lot more trial and error as he works his way through each new experience in his NHL coaching career. In contrast, I think Lambert likely will be better able to draw on the Trotz experience to work his way through whatever tough times may come up in dealing with a young team.

Maybe Lambert as HC and eakins as one of the assistants. That way eakins isn't running the show but also getting experience in the nhl.

I have serious doubts that there is any kind of HC search going on at all.

Mr. "lifetime achievement GM guy" just ambles along making the safe move based on old school "old boy" thinking.

I hope I'm way wrong but I don't think I will be...

I know it’s the “safe choice”, but I still like Eakins, the way he talks candidly about EDM gives me hope. 

I don’t know if I would call Eakins a “safe choice”. Sure he is doing great in the AHL but his NHL resume is lacking. I would think a “safe choice” would be for a more established NHL bench boss, the more wins the safer. At this point I would classify Eakins between risky and safe but def not safe and not totally risky either. I guess the only reason he would be considered safe is due to him already being part of the organization?

I also wouldn’t classify Eakins under the old school regime either, he’s too young to be there. Coach Q, RC, BB and all the other older coaches would be considered old school I think. 

I don’t know enough to make an argument  for or against a coaching candidate but Eakins does seem like a decent enough choice considering the above way of analyzing the situation. He also knows the players too, I would think that weighs more in his favor. Also I have no problem rewarding in-house talent with promotions especially when he has been doing a great job with the Gulls thus far. He would also come in much cheaper than a coach with more NHL experience.  

I would like to hear more on why people would NOT want to hire him as opposed to hiring him to help sort out the analysis. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

I know it’s the “safe choice”, but I still like Eakins, the way he talks candidly about EDM gives me hope. 

It is very refreshing to hear some talk like that and admit his shortcomings but saying at the same time saying that he is glad to making those mistakes as it’s only made him better as he’s learned. Typically you would expect a coach nowadays just blaming the players or the zamboni for the failings 

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Good comment.  I think the word "unimaginative" fits better than "safe" as it applies to hiring Eakins.  Dave Tippett would be a "safe" choice.  Eakins isn't safe in that we have no idea if he'll succeed at the NHL level.  He hasn't before.  But I think we're all predisposed to think Murray is going to be unimaginative since that's the way he manages the roster and coaching hires.  Need a coach?  Not only hire a retread, hire a retread who's been Anaheim's coach before.  Need to change your play style?  Change it to the same style of whichever team just beat you in the playoffs.  It's not always a bad decision to go that route (Carlyle notwithstanding), but it's not groundbreaking.  Murray's not going to take advantage of any previously undiscovered inefficiencies in building a team that way.  

As for Eakins, I'm not sold.  I don't think he'll necessarily be bad. He might be, but he's saying all the right things about his stint in Edmonton.  His AHL record is good, but it's not great - a lot of playoff appearances, but fairly early exits.  This is the first time he's been out of the second round with the Gulls.  He did get to the Calder Cup championship in his third year with the Marlies, but he lost.  I haven't been all that impressed with the Gulls' underlying statistics, although I haven't taken a deep dive and it's tough to analyze AHL statistics with all the roster turnover.  When you hear the glowing reviews, it's almost always about how much players love playing for him.  That's all well and good, but 1) NHL players are a different breed; they're not just happy to be there and 2) in all those glowing reviews there isn't much said about his ability as a hockey strategist. 

Lastly, Eakins has been the Gulls' coach for four seasons now.  Kase is a success story, but aside from him, who has Eakins developed into an above average top 9/top 4 player for the Ducks?  Ritchie has been okay, but hasn't reached what we thought his potential might be.  What other homegrown forward has Eakins mentored who became a contributor for the Ducks?  In the same vein, a lot of the young defensemen have seemingly stalled in their progress (Larsson, Wellinski, Megna) or they've gone to other organizations and immediately shown more success (Theodore, Pettersson).  A decent amount of that might be Carlyle, but we haven't seen any of those young d-men come up and impress, and Eakins has to bear SOME responsibility for that.  Larsson in particular has been disappointing.

That's my case against Eakins.  I honestly don't think he'd be terrible.  He'll certainly be better than Carlyle, and there's a chance he's learned enough from his Edmonton experience to be good.  But I don't think the evidence is there to pick him over another NHL assistant or AHL coach who has more to offer in the way of playing strategy.  I've only read a few things on Lambert and I'd be inclined to take him over Eakins.

Lol “unimaginative” fits Bob like a warm glove in the arctic night. I’d agree  

But at the same time maybe hiring Eakins all those years ago was part of his plan to see how he does later to then have him as a candidate for HC? 

Im in the whom ever BUT RC boat. 

Since I dont know how to judge a coaching candidate I think the easy way of going about it is getting someone who’s already had success at the NHL level. But some good coaches have made their mark in the A before coming up and doing good in the big league. So I don’t know. It’s hard to really judge a coach on whether he’s good or not. We don’t typically hear what they say to the players in the locker room to motivate them. We don’t see the plays they want the players to make only what transpired on the ice and whether the players “executed” the plays intended. Coaches don’t really have individual corsi stats to better see how they are doing. For all we know it’s really all dependent on the players and how good they are rather than how good the coach is. I’m not disregarding the coaches role with a teams success, I’m just saying it’s hard for fans to really get the inside scoop as to how good the coach is where fans don’t have visibility to (behind the bench and the locker room).  

16 hours ago, Fisix said:

Harsh.  Eakins has been groomed for multiple seasons.  The defensemen you mention all had to deal with RC being RC.  A few were doing much better and dropped off considerably a few weeks after they'd moved up and been under RC's program for a while.  All that got much worse when Bieksa left and there wasn't another d-man willing to tell RC he was being an idiot (and in the mean time trying to coach up the young d better).  KB wasn't good at it, but RC was abysmal.

NR... man, I don't think there's anyone who can get him to work the one muscle he needs help with (the one between his ears).

It's interesting that Manson basically chunked and Theo has blossomed.  Hard to say if that's RC, Manson, GG, or Theo... but it looks like Manson taking a digger and RC being really, really horrible to play under, more than GG and Theo being a good fit.  Anyway, Manson wasn't coached by Eakins, and Theo was.  Immediate success in the NHL level when they leave is all on RC - there's no good argument to put any blame on Eakins.

So, I don't know why you generally... manufacture so many negative marks against Eakins.  There's no reason to be pessimistic about his performance next year.  We have a fairly solid group of players, the old guard of which may or may not click with him, just like they may or may not click with whoever else you have in mind.  The biggest thing to be pessimistic about, going forward, is how the Ducks players might feel like they can run the show.. and that's not on Eakins.  That's on BM, and I think he's done what he could by going down to the bench and at least attempting to hold people accountable.  It was a message, regardless of how that message changed shape as he ended the season.

I'm hoping, since we don't have the infrastructure issues the Kings have, that this next stint will go well, without running through a couple coaches in a season.

I don't really believe this. If the Ducks were actually "grooming" him to be RC's eventual replacement (when RC was elevated to a front office job), Eakins would have been moved into the assistant coach position with the Ducks when they let Yawney go last Spring. Instead, that job went to Wilford, who was Eakins' assistant in San Diego. The normal, natural progression for an organization trying to "groom" a coach is from HC of the farm club to assistant coach of the big club to HC of the big club. Usually you see AHL HCs jump the NHL HC role only when the entire NHL coaching staff gets fired mid season.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't really believe this. If the Ducks were actually "grooming" him to be RC's eventual replacement (when RC was elevated to a front office job), Eakins would have been moved into the assistant coach position with the Ducks when they let Yawney go last Spring. Instead, that job went to Wilford, who was Eakins' assistant in San Diego. The normal, natural progression for an organization trying to "groom" a coach is from HC of the farm club to assistant coach of the big club to HC of the big club. Usually you see AHL HCs jump the NHL HC role only when the entire NHL coaching staff gets fired mid season.

That career path does make sense (from AHL coach to NHL asst coach then NHL  coach).

If it’s not Eakins then I don’t know why we haven’t gotten a coach yet? 

18 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

That career path does make sense (from AHL coach to NHL asst coach then NHL  coach).

If it’s not Eakins then I don’t know why we haven’t gotten a coach yet? 

He's obviously still a candidate, just not the heir to the throne like some fans assume he is. And there's some professional courtesy there too. If GMBM reneged on the interview, I'm sure that wouldn't go over well at all with Eakins. And while he's not my first choice for the Ducks job, I certainly don't want to tick off the coach who is currently under contract and in charge of developing the future of this franchise.

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

we should go after Jukka Jalonen, what he did with this roster is a wonder!

miracle not wonder:X

I keep Eakins in San Diego.  I think Getzlaf et al will eat him alive.  Need a guy more like Berube or Gallant who will lead the ship, not just manage it.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:15 AM, Fowl said:

I keep Eakins in San Diego.  I think Getzlaf et al will eat him alive.  Need a guy more like Berube or Gallant who will lead the ship, not just manage it.

I agree, but the longer this goes the more it becomes apparent that GMBM is just looking for someone to manage his ship. You really get the feeling that GMBM doesn't want any input from a coach on how to build his team.

btw, it's now been 114 days since Randy Carlyle was fired, and new candidates (i.e. Sandelin) are apparently still being added to the interview list. Not sure how this is a good thing for the organization.

short term hire?  Knowing him, he'll give him a 10 year - No trade/No fire clause so the team is hamstrung and can't get rid of him...  He does this stuff with the players... 

Per Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Scott Sandelin and Todd Nelson were interviewed by GMBM on Monday (June 3rd), Lane Lambert on Tuesday, and Dallas Eakins on Wednesday morning. Its also still being rumored that Rick Bowness is believed to still be under consideration since he was considered before the RC re-hire.

My guess is the Ducks will have a coach by Monday.

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Per Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Scott Sandelin and Todd Nelson were interviewed by GMBM on Monday (June 3rd), Lane Lambert on Tuesday, and Dallas Eakins on Wednesday morning. Its also still being rumored that Rick Bowness is believed to still be under consideration since he was considered before the RC re-hire.

Sandelin is reportedly staying at UM-Duluth, so he’s out. I’m going to laugh if the Ducks went through their coaching “search” only to hire Eakins in the end. 

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sandelin is reportedly staying at UM-Duluth, so he’s out. I’m going to laugh if the Ducks went through their coaching “search” only to hire Eakins in the end. 

Well, at least the PR department won't have to work too hard to prepare a statement...

"We worked long and hard on this, analyzed, did our background checks and everything just came back to Randy Dallas in the end," Ducks general manager Bob Murray said at Honda Center. "He's going to have immediate respect when he comes into the locker room. He is well-known as an excellent bench coach. He will hold people in the organization accountable, and that's just not on the ice during games. He'll do it in practice, he'll do it in the weight room, he'll hold everybody accountable."

source: https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-hire-randy-carlyle/c-280964392

On 6/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Well, it's that Monday you spoke of now, and GMHCBM is still taking his time, perhaps even contemplating to stay on that HC job and convice the Samueli's to find another GM and be free of all those contract talks. *wink*

6 hours ago, Aksun said:

Well, it's that Monday you spoke of now, and GMHCBM is still taking his time, perhaps even contemplating to stay on that HC job and convice the Samueli's to find another GM and be free of all those contract talks. *wink*

lol. I wasn’t anticipating the Perry news to drop this weekend. Can’t have too many bombshells drop during the same news cycle, right? :lol:

Regarding the "coaching search" - the only reason that GMBM hasn't had his head on a stick is because the hockey culture out here on the west coast - I doubt the Blackhawk fans or the Ranger fans would put up with how this whole coaching debacle has played out - from the lousy hockey that was allowed to continue, night after night, embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss and still no canning of a lousy head coach - then he has the genius idea to try coaching for a bit so that he can "get a true read of what is truly happening down there on the ice" - for heaven's sake.  Those east coast fans would not stand for that sort of behavior.  We complain on these boards but we all are preaching to the choir - I think we are all feeling it...

Now just pretend there is a search during the stanley cup playoff run to buy some more time to do nothing.  What is there to cheer for or even feel good about for the upcoming season?  I like the young players and am a die hard ducks fan.  It is just hard to be that right now.

Maybe some news after the soccer tournament...

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Regarding the "coaching search" - the only reason that GMBM hasn't had his head on a stick is because the hockey culture out here on the west coast - I doubt the Blackhawk fans or the Ranger fans would put up with how this whole coaching debacle has played out - from the lousy hockey that was allowed to continue, night after night, embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss and still no canning of a lousy head coach - then he has the genius idea to try coaching for a bit so that he can "get a true read of what is truly happening down there on the ice" - for heaven's sake.  Those east coast fans would not stand for that sort of behavior.  We complain on these boards but we all are preaching to the choir - I think we are all feeling it...

Now just pretend there is a search during the stanley cup playoff run to buy some more time to do nothing.  What is there to cheer for or even feel good about for the upcoming season?  I like the young players and am a die hard ducks fan.  It is just hard to be that right now.

Maybe some news after the soccer tournament...

I bet he still wants to re-hire Carlyle because he's the only guy that fits Bob's interests.

52 minutes ago, Aksun said:

I bet he still wants to re-hire Carlyle because he's the only guy that fits Bob's interests.

Wouldn't surprise me! Maybe third times the charm......