The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

List of Interviewees for Ducks HC

I keep Eakins in San Diego.  I think Getzlaf et al will eat him alive.  Need a guy more like Berube or Gallant who will lead the ship, not just manage it.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 1:15 AM, Fowl said:

I keep Eakins in San Diego.  I think Getzlaf et al will eat him alive.  Need a guy more like Berube or Gallant who will lead the ship, not just manage it.

I agree, but the longer this goes the more it becomes apparent that GMBM is just looking for someone to manage his ship. You really get the feeling that GMBM doesn't want any input from a coach on how to build his team.

btw, it's now been 114 days since Randy Carlyle was fired, and new candidates (i.e. Sandelin) are apparently still being added to the interview list. Not sure how this is a good thing for the organization.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I agree, but the longer this goes the more it becomes apparent that GMBM is just looking for someone to manage his ship. You really get the feeling that GMBM doesn't want any input from a coach on how to build his team.

btw, it's now been 114 days since Randy Carlyle was fired, and new candidates (i.e. Sandelin) are apparently still being added to the interview list. Not sure how this is a good thing for the organization.

It's not.  Now I'm just hoping that this is a short-term hire and both Murray and whatever ineffectual candidate he hires are both gone before two years are up.  

short term hire?  Knowing him, he'll give him a 10 year - No trade/No fire clause so the team is hamstrung and can't get rid of him...  He does this stuff with the players... 

Per Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Scott Sandelin and Todd Nelson were interviewed by GMBM on Monday (June 3rd), Lane Lambert on Tuesday, and Dallas Eakins on Wednesday morning. Its also still being rumored that Rick Bowness is believed to still be under consideration since he was considered before the RC re-hire.

My guess is the Ducks will have a coach by Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Per Eric Stephens in the Athletic, Scott Sandelin and Todd Nelson were interviewed by GMBM on Monday (June 3rd), Lane Lambert on Tuesday, and Dallas Eakins on Wednesday morning. Its also still being rumored that Rick Bowness is believed to still be under consideration since he was considered before the RC re-hire.

Sandelin is reportedly staying at UM-Duluth, so he’s out. I’m going to laugh if the Ducks went through their coaching “search” only to hire Eakins in the end. 

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sandelin is reportedly staying at UM-Duluth, so he’s out. I’m going to laugh if the Ducks went through their coaching “search” only to hire Eakins in the end. 

Well, at least the PR department won't have to work too hard to prepare a statement...

"We worked long and hard on this, analyzed, did our background checks and everything just came back to Randy Dallas in the end," Ducks general manager Bob Murray said at Honda Center. "He's going to have immediate respect when he comes into the locker room. He is well-known as an excellent bench coach. He will hold people in the organization accountable, and that's just not on the ice during games. He'll do it in practice, he'll do it in the weight room, he'll hold everybody accountable."

source: https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-hire-randy-carlyle/c-280964392

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well, at least the PR department won't have to work too hard to prepare a statement...

source: https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-hire-randy-carlyle/c-280964392

Haha. Well, the good news is that he will only get to copy and paste that press release this one last time.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Well, it's that Monday you spoke of now, and GMHCBM is still taking his time, perhaps even contemplating to stay on that HC job and convice the Samueli's to find another GM and be free of all those contract talks. *wink*

6 hours ago, Aksun said:

Well, it's that Monday you spoke of now, and GMHCBM is still taking his time, perhaps even contemplating to stay on that HC job and convice the Samueli's to find another GM and be free of all those contract talks. *wink*

lol. I wasn’t anticipating the Perry news to drop this weekend. Can’t have too many bombshells drop during the same news cycle, right? :lol:

• Haha 1

Regarding the "coaching search" - the only reason that GMBM hasn't had his head on a stick is because the hockey culture out here on the west coast - I doubt the Blackhawk fans or the Ranger fans would put up with how this whole coaching debacle has played out - from the lousy hockey that was allowed to continue, night after night, embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss and still no canning of a lousy head coach - then he has the genius idea to try coaching for a bit so that he can "get a true read of what is truly happening down there on the ice" - for heaven's sake.  Those east coast fans would not stand for that sort of behavior.  We complain on these boards but we all are preaching to the choir - I think we are all feeling it...

Now just pretend there is a search during the stanley cup playoff run to buy some more time to do nothing.  What is there to cheer for or even feel good about for the upcoming season?  I like the young players and am a die hard ducks fan.  It is just hard to be that right now.

Maybe some news after the soccer tournament...

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Regarding the "coaching search" - the only reason that GMBM hasn't had his head on a stick is because the hockey culture out here on the west coast - I doubt the Blackhawk fans or the Ranger fans would put up with how this whole coaching debacle has played out - from the lousy hockey that was allowed to continue, night after night, embarrassing loss after embarrassing loss and still no canning of a lousy head coach - then he has the genius idea to try coaching for a bit so that he can "get a true read of what is truly happening down there on the ice" - for heaven's sake.  Those east coast fans would not stand for that sort of behavior.  We complain on these boards but we all are preaching to the choir - I think we are all feeling it...

Now just pretend there is a search during the stanley cup playoff run to buy some more time to do nothing.  What is there to cheer for or even feel good about for the upcoming season?  I like the young players and am a die hard ducks fan.  It is just hard to be that right now.

Maybe some news after the soccer tournament...

I bet he still wants to re-hire Carlyle because he's the only guy that fits Bob's interests.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Aksun said:

I bet he still wants to re-hire Carlyle because he's the only guy that fits Bob's interests.

Wouldn't surprise me! Maybe third times the charm......

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well, color me shocked! I wonder what Swedish defensemen or two-way forward Murray will take #9 now lol

I really don't like us taking Edmonton's guy from a few seasons ago that couldn't do anything...but...I guess it's better than hiring Todd McLellan lol 

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I really don't like us taking Edmonton's guy from a few seasons ago that couldn't do anything...but...I guess it's better than hiring Todd McLellan lol 

He wasn't good in Edmonton, but in fairness to Eakins, it is the Oilers lol. Their management has been so bad over 10+ years that I appreciate Murray as our GM. Looking at their roster from that year, they had no defense, secondary scoring or true top-line center. I just don't get the needless delay of the Ducks' "coaching search" only to then hire the guy that pretty much everyone was expecting. I'd like to think that Eakins has reflected, learned and evolved from his time in Edmonton and San Diego and will be a better NHL coach because of it. He's definitely taking over at a tough time for the organization, so expectations shouldn't be very high next season. St least he won't have the pressure to make the playoffs go on a deep run and can focus more on development and structure. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

I'm pretty disappointed in the coaching hire.  Unwhelming much?  He couldn't do it earlier, he never did anything with the gulls (never won anything) and now by some magic ju ju he is going to be a good NHL coach?  On what planet does that happen?  Orange County I guess.  Zero expectations.  No playoffs.  

The press conference is going to have sentences like:  "we feel Dallas is the best choice for our group going forward and we feel fortunate to have him coaching our young players"...  "we did our due diligence and felt he was the best fit for our organization and look forward to next season..."   barf barf barf...

It's just uninspiring.

And so predictable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

I'm pretty disappointed in the coaching hire.  Unwhelming much?  He couldn't do it earlier, he never did anything with the gulls (never won anything) and now by some magic ju ju he is going to be a good NHL coach?  On what planet does that happen?  Orange County I guess.  Zero expectations.  No playoffs.  

The press conference is going to have sentences like:  "we feel Dallas is the best choice for our group going forward and we feel fortunate to have him coaching our young players"...  "we did our due diligence and felt he was the best fit for our organization and look forward to next season..."   barf barf barf...

It's just uninspiring.

And so predictable.

Maybe. But it will be interesting to see how the young players react to his coaching. Maybe we will see them progress this year under his guidance. Would also be interesting to see what system he will implement. I would assume more of an offensive system, though honestly I never followed the gulls so would be interesting to hear what we can expect from the team if anyone can give some input. Could Ricky, Kase, silfverberg and other younger talents score 30+ goals and finally get our scoring up? What about the defense? 

We can argue about whether or not the hiring is a good one but we're stuck with it for next season at least. So we might as well discuss what systems changes are going to happen. Seems like at this point anything is better than RC, but how much? Under BB we had the down year in scoring and he implemented a defense first system and it worked well. Though most games were like 2-1, we let in the least goals that year. At this point I'm just excited we're finally making some changes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoxxey said:

It's just uninspiring.

And so predictable.

Every post from you is negative, so I'm not surprised at your disappointment. Actually expected it. Life is actually good if you see the glass as half full. 

Ducks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2011. They have a great goalie, some exciting kids coming up, and now a coach that's familiar with those kids going forward with the big club. Before we get all dour maybe we should wait and see what actually transpires first.

I know you'll react all "negative" but it is something to think about. 

20 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Every post from you is negative, so I'm not surprised at your disappointment. Actually expected it. Life is actually good if you see the glass as half full. 

Ducks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2011. They have a great goalie, some exciting kids coming up, and now a coach that's familiar with those kids going forward with the big club. Before we get all dour maybe we should wait and see what actually transpires first.

I know you'll react all "negative" but it is something to think about. 

You are right - there is a lot to celebrate with this team - especially the young players that are coming.  

The goalkeeper is world class and I absolutely celebrate his talents and frankly - without him the team last season would have been a nightmare of epic standards.

This hire just feels uninspired and I am sticking by how that feels as a fan.  I expected him to be hired from the start and hoped I was wrong.

I am not going to celebrate how long it took or the attempt to hoodwink the fans into believing anything different.  There was enough talent on this team to make the playoffs again - if the BM had made a move when normal GM's do in the midst of continuous losing streaks and poor play and fire the coach - ie St. Louis.  I wanted changes back then.  Is that too negative?  This is a professional sport.  Not little league where everyone gets a trophy.  That "glass" was empty.

I'm not "all" anything.

Just stating my opinion.  Last time I checked, that's what these forums are all about.

I will also choose to see the "possibilities" and react positively when things go that direction.

Hopefully they will.

It's Official. Dallas Eakins...Ducks 9th Head Coach.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

You are right - there is a lot to celebrate with this team - especially the young players that are coming.  

The goalkeeper is world class and I absolutely celebrate his talents and frankly - without him the team last season would have been a nightmare of epic standards.

This hire just feels uninspired and I am sticking by how that feels as a fan.  I expected him to be hired from the start and hoped I was wrong.

I am not going to celebrate how long it took or the attempt to hoodwink the fans into believing anything different.  There was enough talent on this team to make the playoffs again - if the BM had made a move when normal GM's do in the midst of continuous losing streaks and poor play and fire the coach - ie St. Louis.  I wanted changes back then.  Is that too negative?  This is a professional sport.  Not little league where everyone gets a trophy.  That "glass" was empty.

I'm not "all" anything.

Just stating my opinion.  Last time I checked, that's what these forums are all about.

I will also choose to see the "possibilities" and react positively when things go that direction.

Hopefully they will.

Big difference from everyone getting a trophy and hating everything Ducks related. I just pointed out every post seems negative. Maybe I've missed some positive ones. Taking this long to hire a coach isn't a "hoodwink" imo, heck, maybe Murray was looking at potential assistants. Murray did his due diligence, and I'm willing to give Eakins the benefit of the doubt going forward. That's my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Big difference from everyone getting a trophy and hating everything Ducks related. I just pointed out every post seems negative. Maybe I've missed some positive ones. Taking this long to hire a coach isn't a "hoodwink" imo, heck, maybe Murray was looking at potential assistants. Murray did his due diligence, and I'm willing to give Eakins the benefit of the doubt going forward. That's my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

sounds good

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 11:08 AM, dtsdlaw said:

On the eve of GMBM's coaching debut, I think its already time to start looking forward to who will replace him as head coach at the conclusion of this season. Eakins seems to be the popular choice (personally, I don't like him as the choice) but you also get the feeling that GMBM is going to conduct a pretty exhaustive search this time around after not really trying very hard with his last two hires (Boudreau basically fell into his lap, and Carlyle was a pretty lazy choice). So who is on everyone's list of interview candidates? There are a lot of smart hockey fans on this board so I'm curious to see your lists and your insights. Please list your top 2-3 candidates and reasons why. To start, here are mine:

1. Adam Oates - former Mighty Duck and current offensive consultant to the LA Kings (hired on after Stevens was fired). He is clearly an offensive mind and has a reputation for being a teacher rather than a task master. That would be great for the younger players IMO. He also has some head coaching experience with Washington and New Jersey, and I don't think he'd break the bank to come here. Do I think he can win a Cup? I don't know. But he might be the perfect guy to guide this team until it is a legit contender again.

2. Kevin Dineen - recently fired by Chicago when Coach Q was canned. Dineen ran the Hawks PP when they beat us in 2015 and won a Cup with them. He was also the HC in Portland back when the Pirates were the Ducks AHL affiliate (i.e. when Getz/Pears were there briefly) and so he already has some connections with GMBM, who was the SVP of Hockey Ops and was responsible for player development at the time. Dineen is another offensive mind, and has some HC experience at the NHL level with Florida. 

3. Lane Lambert - current assistant coach with the Isles, he was also an assistant under Trotz in Washington and Nashville. I would love to have Trotz, but since he's already got a job and isn't coming to Anaheim any time soon, how about one of Trotz long-time assistants? Lambert is another former NHL winger (i.e. an offensive mind) and he has four years of head coaching experience in the AHL.  I have no idea if Lambert wants to be an NHL head coach, and I also don't know if GMBM has any connections to him (we all know how GMBM loves professional nepotism!), but he'd be an interesting candidate to look at IMO.

So what say you all about other potential candidates?  

[... and if you're just going to say "Eakins will be the next head coach" to try to kill this thread, feel free to move along without posting here.]

Dineen in as Gulls coach! Cool! He was on my list as a Ducks HC candidate, but I’ll definitely welcome him here in San Diego! I also wouldn’t mind seeing him elevated to a Ducks asst coach position if the offense and PP continues to struggle under Morrison.

• Like 1