The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Spike1981

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

the rules are so:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and B) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and B) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

is that, if players like Comtois/Jones/Terry/Steel/Lundestrom/Larson not plays 70 games in this and next season (next season not 40 games) in the NHL, we don't have to protect they? I think, the Playoff-games counts too, or? Is Perry also an option? he played only 6 games till now.... if he only plays this season 30 and 39 games next season....

so, I would look that this will not happen (40/70 games)... at minimum the young guys..

Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b ) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

These are the rules for who MUST BE EXPOSED. That is not the same as players who will be eligible to be picked and would have to be protected.

Eligible players according to the rules for the last expansion draft (and Bettman says the rules will stay the same):

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2016-17 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

Jones/Terry/Steel are currently in their first PROFESSIONAL season I believe, so will play in their second next season, making them eligible for the expansion draft whether or not they play in the NHL. Same for Larsson who is currently in his second? professional season. Lundestrom I believe would fall under this as well.

Comtois is still in Juniors so will not complete his first professional season until next season at the earliest, so he may be safe.

In any case, we are going to lose a good player most likely. That's just the way it is.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

Edit to the above just for clarification: players that have played TWO OR LESS pro seasons are not eligible. I'm sure there must be a minimum number of games to be considered a professional season (confirmed 10 games = pro season).

So as Jones/Terry/Steel/Larsson/Lundestrom will be regarded as playing in professional leagues in 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, all of them will have MORE than 2 pro seasons so will be eligible to be picked (this assumes they are all healthy, if one of them misses an entire season due to injury that could change things).

If Comtois plays his first pro season in 2019-2020 and then 2020-2021, he will only have 2 pro seasons under his belt (i.e. not more) so he will be safe from selection.

Second edit: I've found this link http://sinbin.vegas/clarification-definition-first-second-year-professionals/ which states the following:

Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under a standard player contract in a given League Year.

Meaning that players under 20 years old only earn a pro year by playing in the NHL. Steel, Terry, Jones and Larsson are already 20 or older, so it's irrelevant for them. Lundestrom is only 19 years old right now - however since he played 15 games in the NHL this past season he has already got 1 year of pro under his belt. This also screws us with Comtois as he appeared in 10 games with Anaheim this season meaning he also has 1 year of pro against his name already. He will be in the AHL or NHL next season as he will be too old for Juniors, so he's gonna be eligible for the ED too. Dammit.

It looks like all of the kids listed are going to be eligible for the ED provided they are all healthy enough to meet the requirements over the next 3 years. Playing Lundestrom and Comtois in more than 9 games this season really looks like a dumb move right now.

Edited by nieder

25 minutes ago, nieder said:

Edit to the above just for clarification: players that have played TWO OR LESS pro seasons are not eligible. I'm sure there must be a minimum number of games to be considered a professional season (confirmed 10 games = pro season).

So as Jones/Terry/Steel/Larsson/Lundestrom will be regarded as playing in professional leagues in 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, all of them will have MORE than 2 pro seasons so will be eligible to be picked (this assumes they are all healthy, if one of them misses an entire season due to injury that could change things).

If Comtois plays his first pro season in 2019-2020 and then 2020-2021, he will only have 2 pro seasons under his belt (i.e. not more) so he will be safe from selection.

Second edit: I've found this link http://sinbin.vegas/clarification-definition-first-second-year-professionals/ which states the following:

Meaning that players under 20 years old only earn a pro year by playing in the NHL. Steel, Terry, Jones and Larsson are already 20 or older, so it's irrelevant for them. Lundestrom is only 19 years old right now - however since he played 15 games in the NHL this past season he has already got 1 year of pro under his belt. This also screws us with Comtois as he appeared in 10 games with Anaheim this season meaning he also has 1 year of pro against his name already. He will be in the AHL or NHL next season as he will be too old for Juniors, so he's gonna be eligible for the ED too. Dammit.

It looks like all of the kids listed are going to be eligible for the ED provided they are all healthy enough to meet the requirements over the next 3 years. Playing Lundestrom and Comtois in more than 9 games this season really looks like a dumb move right now.

I have heard so many conflicting things about Comtois.  I've read in a number of places that the Ducks sent him back in time so he wouldn't be eligible for the draft.  But that language makes it seem like he WOULD be eligible.  Honestly, I don't know that it matters much.  We're going to have to expose a young forward, which makes me think that Bob is once again going to make a deal rather than roll the dice.

My understanding is that Comtois should be the only prospect that is exempt. The 10 game mark refers to burning a year off his ELC. Playing 11 games would have counted as a year of pro experience for expansion draft purposes (I know, it’s a weird distinction) which is why he was sent back to juniors at 10 games.

Not sure why they played Lundestrom for 15 games and thus made him eligible.

27 minutes ago, nieder said:

that I said after they send those both to the juniors, dumb move...

then who you would protect:

7 offensive players (ranking random):

1. Getzlaf
  2. Rakell
  3. Perry
  4. Kesler
  5. Henrique
  6. Kase
  7. Comtois
  8. Sprong
  9. Steel
  10. Jones
  11. Eaves
  12. Silfverberg
  13. Lundestrom
  14. Shore

3 defensive players:

1. Fowler
  2. Montour
  3. Manson
  4. Larson
  5. Lindholm

Goaltender is clear Gibson.

Offensive players Perry/Getzlaf/Kesler all with NMC... defensive is Fowler with M-NTC...

Shore, Sprong, Terry and Montour till now with no contract in 20-21.

the NMC will bite us... especially Kesler's one.

for me the Seattle draft is a plus more for tank and trade away some players. if not, we will lose a good player...

9 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

My understanding is that Comtois should be the only prospect that is exempt. The 10 game mark refers to burning a year off his ELC. Playing 11 games would have counted as a year of pro experience for expansion draft purposes (I know, it’s a weird distinction) which is why he was sent back to juniors at 10 games.

I can't find this written down officially anywhere, the only links I can find are unofficial ones like above that say 10 games counts as a pro season.

6 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

that I said after they send those both to the juniors, dumb move...

then who you would protect:

7 offensive players (ranking random):

1. Getzlaf
  2. Rakell
  3. Perry
  4. Kesler
  5. Henrique
  6. Kase
  7. Comtois
  8. Sprong
  9. Steel
  10. Jones
  11. Eaves
  12. Silfverberg
  13. Lundestrom
  14. Shore

3 defensive players:

1. Fowler
  2. Montour
  3. Manson
  4. Larson
  5. Lindholm

Goaltender is clear Gibson.

Offensive players Perry/Getzlaf/Kesler all with NMC... defensive is Fowler with M-NTC...

Shore, Sprong, Terry and Montour till now with no contract in 20-21.

the NMC will bite us... especially Kesler's one.

for me the Seattle draft is a plus more for tank and trade away some players. if not, we will lose a good player...

Honestly it's too far away to worry about. There's still 2.5 seasons between now and the expansion draft. There will be so much roster turnover between now and then that we might end up losing a player that isn't even in our system right now.

Regardless of what happens, we are going to lose someone or something good. That's just the reality of a team that drafts well when it comes to the expansion draft.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nieder said:

I can't find this written down officially anywhere, the only links I can find are unofficial ones like above that say 10 games counts as a pro season.

in my mind is also, after 10 games it counts as a pro season

5 minutes ago, nieder said:

Honestly it's too far away to worry about. There's still 2.5 seasons between now and the expansion draft. There will be so much roster turnover between now and then that we might end up losing a player that isn't even in our system right now.

2,5 seasons? hmm, I thought always its 1,5 years... my fault... okay then this is an other story. ok then also the contracts of Getzlaf and Perry expired and Kesler can be traded

Edited by Spike1981

Comtois will not be exposed UNLESS he plays one more game with the Duck (this year).

Kesler can be exposed, as his NMC becomes a modified NTC prior to the draft.

Edited by dukitup

14 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Comtois will not be exposed UNLESS he plays one more game with the Duck (this year).

Do you have a source that confirms this?

50 minutes ago, nieder said:

Regardless of what happens, we are going to lose someone or something good. That's just the reality of a team that drafts well when it comes to the expansion draft.

The good news is we ONLY lose one of them. So, if we were to have to worry about Comtois/Jones/Terry/Larrsson/Lunderstrom/Steel...we'll still have all of them but 1. And chances are we'll be protecting the ones that are the better player...so we wont be losing our best from that group either.

11 minutes ago, nieder said:

Do you have a source that confirms this?

From what I understand, pro seasons are determined by players age on 12/31 of the first contract year and then applying the waiver rules outlined in the CBA. Since Comtois was 19 on 12/31, he needed 11 NHL games for a pro season.

He played 10 games as a Duck. So even though the first year of his ELC was burned, he didn't play 11 games, which would mean he is not considered a 1st year pro (this year) for the purposes of the expansion draft. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

That's actually really interesting as the draft was being said to be a year earlier but got scheduled back. That actually works in our favor I think as we'll be almost done with the big three contracts. If Kesler can be exposed under those terms then maybe we'll be fine going into the draft. As long as BM doesn't hand out any nmc🤔

4 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Boyle will become Seattles main target if he plays 10+ this year and is next years backup to Gibson.

He's UFA after next season.

edit: although I could see Murray signing him prior to reaching ufa status

Edited by dukitup

2 minutes ago, dukitup said:

He's UFA after next season.

Im sure we will be offering him a contract extension before that happens

To prevent Boyle form being exposed I think once Miller is ready to return Boyle will be sent back down and the Miller should get the majority of the workload here on out. Keep Gibson limited or shutdown the rest of the year and have Johnson as Millers backup.

9 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

To prevent Boyle form being exposed I think once Miller is ready to return Boyle will be sent back down and the Miller should get the majority of the workload here on out. Keep Gibson limited or shutdown the rest of the year and have Johnson as Millers backup.

Boyle will be exposed regardless.  Depending on how the Ducks play him, he might not be eligible to qualify as their one goalie that needs to be exposed, but that won't stop him from being eligible for selection.  The rules say that the Ducks have to expose one goalie who has met certain game requirements.  That simply forces teams to expose an actual NHL goalie and not a no-name scrub from the ECHL.  But any goalie in your system who has played two qualifying professional seasons (as Boyle has) will be eligible for selection.  So if Seattle sees this performance and decides Boyle is their goalie of the future, they can take him.  And God bless them if they do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Boyle will become Seattles main target if he plays 10+ this year and is next years backup to Gibson.

Ha. I get why people are happy for the guy but he's played all of 2 NHL games.

Also I'm pretty sure we would have to expose him to waivers before sending him back down to San Diego, right? Because of his age I'm pretty sure he only needs to have played 25 pro games to be waiver eligible? I could be wrong.

Edited by nieder

When the time comes you make a list of who you want to keep.  Everybody is bound to lose someone they don’t want to lose.  During what I see as a rebuilding phase, you could certainly gather draft assets via trade to avoid losing an exposed player (as was the case with Frederick Andersen).

Edited by Fowl

21 minutes ago, nieder said:

Ha. I get why people are happy for the guy but he's played all of 2 NHL games.

Also I'm pretty sure we would have to expose him to waivers before sending him back down to San Diego, right? Because of his age I'm pretty sure he only needs to have played 25 pro games to be waiver eligible? I could be wrong.

He's on a two-year two-way deal, does not need to clear waivers.

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Because it's BM.

5 hours ago, nieder said:

Hmmm so are you saying that we’re going to tank, get the #1 pick and select Hughs then lose him to the expansion draft??LOL 

Serous question: So for clarification purposes, the games counted are only those made during the time the player has been with the team, right? So for example, we can’t just acquire a player  from another team and expose him immediately, he would first have to accumulate the games under his new team, right? 

How about if the player was UFA in the prior year and the team resigns him, does this then restart his games played with the team as it’s a new contract? 

Inquirying Minds Want to Know

Edited by RobD360

9 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Serous question: So for clarification purposes, the games counted are only those made during the time the player has been with the team, right? So for example, we can’t just acquire a player  from another team and expose him immediately, he would first have to accumulate the games under his new team, right? 

How about if the player was UFA in the prior year and the team resigns him, does this then restart his games played with the team as it’s a new contract? 

Inquirying Minds Want to Know

...do you secretly work for the Ducks organization and need the fans to help give you input?

..!! Rob....Robert...Bob....BOB MURRAY! YOU'RE BOB MURRAY!! ...don't worry, Bob. Your secret is safe with me.

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

...do you secretly work for the Ducks organization and need the fans to help give you input?

..!! Rob....Robert...Bob....BOB MURRAY! YOU'RE BOB MURRAY!! ...don't worry, Bob. Your secret is safe with me.

Wow! Not sure if that’s an insult or complement LOL 😂 

• Like 1

you have to play people in NHL games in order to trade them before the ED, if you want to get some value out of them.

you can only protect so many players, and you have to make SOME eligible players available.

the way this is going, so far, we're retaining a LOT of flexibility in who we protect, how we protect them, and what value we can extract between now and when we have to make the hard decisions.

13 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

the rules are so:

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and B) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and B) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

is that, if players like Comtois/Jones/Terry/Steel/Lundestrom/Larson not plays 70 games in this and next season (next season not 40 games) in the NHL, we don't have to protect they? I think, the Playoff-games counts too, or? Is Perry also an option? he played only 6 games till now.... if he only plays this season 30 and 39 games next season....

so, I would look that this will not happen (40/70 games)... at minimum the young guys..

Interesting.....Rules there.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck