The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Are The Ducks Playoff Bound?

I know it's only 1 game.  Only 1 win.  But when you look at the standings, the win against The Canucks was a big one!  

Not very long ago, the Ducks were 8 points out of the last playoff spot.  Had played more games than the teams in front of them in the standings.  And were last place in the Western Conference.  Now, the other teams have virtually all caught up in games played.  And with the win, the Ducks are no longer last place in the Western Conference.  And we are only 6 points out of the last playoff spot!  And we still have 25 games left to play! 

Not many teams have used their general manager as their head coach in the past.  But for the ones that have, they seemed to have played very well.  One such team is the Calgary Flames.  When Darryl Sutter was both the General Manager and Head Coach of the Flames, in my opinion they were always one of the hardest working and fun teams to watch.  Why?  Could it have been because players were extra motivated to play each game, knowing their head coach also dictated whether they stayed on the team, were traded elsewhere, etc.?  Quite possibly! 

I think the same might happen for the Ducks.  I know it's only one game, but with the effort we showed last game, I feel we can make the playoffs.  And I think that we can do well in the playoffs!  Will we show the same effort tonight?  I do not see why not.  Our players know their temporary coach is also the one who can decide whether they stay on the team, trade them, re-sign them, etc.  They will have extra motivation. 

Would it be nice to get a high draft pick in the off-season?  Maybe even the first or second overall draft pick?  Yes!  But I think we all would much rather our team make the playoffs.  We already have a ton of talent in our system.  Max Jones is ready to take the next step.  Possibly Troy Terry.  And more.  And to think--after this weekend, if all goes well, we can be only 2 points out of the last playoff spot.  Pretty cool! 

Will we make the playoffs?  Will our team have an excellent follow-up effort in tonight's game?  As always, we shall see what happens!  

Let's Go Ducks!!!!

Edited by duck123
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I know it's only 1 game.  Only 1 win.  But when you look at the standings, the win against The Canucks was a big one!  

Not very long ago, the Ducks were 8 points out of the last playoff spot.  Had played more games than the teams in front of them in the standings.  And were last place in the Western Conference.  Now, the other teams have virtually all caught up in games played.  And with the win, the Ducks are no longer last place in the Western Conference.  And we are only 6 points out of the last playoff spot!  And we still have 25 games left to play! 

Not many teams have used their general manager as their head coach in the past.  But for the ones that have, they seemed to have played very well.  One such team is the Calgary Flames.  When Darryl Sutter was both the General Manager and Head Coach of the Flames, in my opinion they were always one of the hardest working and fun teams to watch.  Why?  Could it have been because players were extra motivated to play each game, knowing their head coach also dictated whether they stayed on the team, were traded elsewhere, etc.?  Quite possibly! 

I think the same might happen for the Ducks.  I know it's only one game, but with the effort we showed last game, I feel we can make the playoffs.  And I think that we can do well in the playoffs!  Will we show the same effort tonight?  I do not see why not.  Our players know their temporary coach is also the one who can decide whether they stay on the team, trade them, re-sign them, etc.  They will have extra motivation. 

Would it be nice to get a high draft pick in the off-season?  Maybe even the first or second overall draft pick?  Yes!  But I think we all would much rather our team make the playoffs.  We already have a ton of talent in our system.  Max Jones is ready to take the next step.  Possibly Troy Terry.  And more.  And to think--after this weekend, if all goes well, we can be only 2 points out of the last playoff spot.  Pretty cool! 

Will we make the playoffs?  Will our team have an excellent follow-up effort in tonight's game?  As always, we shall see what happens!  

Let's Go Ducks!!!!

No Playoffs...It should not matter...Injuries took a toll on the Ducks and IF they do....our team is NOT READY. Mistakes were made,Lack of Communication seems rampant. It was clear to many....including me who hope for repeat. But like you we will see what happens.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Haha, I've been waiting for this thread. I knew it was coming. I'm just surprised it took Ducks123 two days to write it. :P

If Mooseduck is saying "No Playoffs," you can rest assured the Ducks won't be playing in mid-April.  When you've lost Mooseduck, the writing is on the wall.  There are 6 teams ahead of the Ducks that they would have to pass, just to get the 2nd Wildcard spot, plus the Kings are just 1 point behind them.

Once again we were badly outshot against Vancouver.  We got bailed out by Boyle, who was amazing!  That could have just as easily been a 2-1 regulation loss.  It's going to take a string of at least 4 wins in a row to even put them in a position to think about a miracle end to the season.

Edited by HockeyIzCool
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

If Mooseduck is saying "No Playoffs," you can rest assured the Ducks won't be playing in mid-April.  When you've lost Mooseduck, the writing is on the wall.  There are 6 teams ahead of the Ducks that they would have to pass, just to get the 2nd Wildcard spot, plus the Kings are just 1 point behind them.

Once again we were badly outshot against Vancouver.  We got bailed out by Boyle, who was amazing!  That could have just as easily been a 2-1 regulation loss.  It's going to take a string of at least 4 wins in a row to even put them in a position to think about a miracle end to the season.

My biggest worry right there...

I'm a bit worried that Boyle could take us on a run ala Hammond and the Sens a few seasons ago...I really like what I've seen with Boyle so far. Smart positioning. Good lateral movement. Keeps his body up right when moving up and down. Seems effortless But...unless we think we can make a cup run or a deep playoff run...we're much better off not making the playoffs at all.

27 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

My biggest worry right there...

I'm a bit worried that Boyle could take us on a run ala Hammond and the Sens a few seasons ago...I really like what I've seen with Boyle so far. Smart positioning. Good lateral movement. Keeps his body up right when moving up and down. Seems effortless But...unless we think we can make a cup run or a deep playoff run...we're much better off not making the playoffs at all.

I liked Boyle. Super aggressive. I wanna say half his saves came from him skating out of his crease and daring the attacker to shoot. The kids cocky. Love it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

No stop it Kakko is right there

Crazy thought. But I feel like this board has lacked a certain something for awhile. If the Ducks draft Kakko does that mean we get a NeimiWillRise back? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poum said:

I liked Boyle. Super aggressive. I wanna say half his saves came from him skating out of his crease and daring the attacker to shoot. The kids cocky. Love it.

And that aggressive style of play completely burned Boyle on that second goal Boston scored.

Half of our remaining games are against teams within 5 points of us.  We are currently 5 points behind Minnesota for 2nd wild card spot, and we play them next.  All comes down to a bunch of must win games, but unlikely as it seems, the Ducks are not quite out of it yet.

Big 5-2 win against The Capitals last night! We leapfrogged over the Oilers last night too, and are now only 5 points out of the last playoff race.  23 games left to go.  Let's Go Ducks!!!!

Anything IS possible when you make the playoffs...and if the Ducks play the same way they did last night...albeit the Caps looked a bit tired... I dunno...I'm torn. Very high draft pick would be so nice...but...I do enjoy being in the playoffs...and the playoffs are much different than the regular season. Hot goalie, streaky scorers...suddenly you're in the conference finals and then the energy from being so close just keeps you going and playing harder than ever before.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Anything IS possible when you make the playoffs...and if the Ducks play the same way they did last night...albeit the Caps looked a bit tired... I dunno...I'm torn. Very high draft pick would be so nice...but...I do enjoy being in the playoffs...and the playoffs are much different than the regular season. Hot goalie, streaky scorers...suddenly you're in the conference finals and then the energy from being so close just keeps you going and playing harder than ever before.

Great analysis.  Like you said, if we make the playoffs, anything can happen.  Let's Go Ducks!

1 hour ago, BritDuck168 said:

Many teams have sneaked into the playoffs and gone on a tear up why not us?

One word. Bob. 

I'm up for a miracle run to the SCF. This upcoming Canada trip will make or break this season - we either win the trip and try to hold on to the playoffs, or we lose it mostly and Bob sells the team.

• Like 1