The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Are The Ducks Playoff Bound?

3 hours ago, BritDuck168 said:

Many teams have sneaked into the playoffs and gone on a tear up why not us?

Because our D sucks.  

• Like 1

Looking at the Playoff Race..Ducks are 5 pts out of the Final Wildcard Spot.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Because our D sucks.  

They don't have to suck. We have a very talented D. I think last night they showed signs of getting back to being where they can be. I'm more worried about our center depth. Kesler really isn't that strong anymore. Getz is great. Rico is fine. Grant is ok. Kesler is weak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Because our D sucks.  

Disagree. I believe, as last night shows, when the forwards are playing a faster game and getting more than one shot on net each possession, the D does just fine. The dump and chase was killing the D. The forwards were standing around and not giving many options for outlet passes so the puck came right back. The D showed last night that they can play. I also feel the changes to the pairings has helped a great deal. Fowler seems comfortable with DelZotto and Manson and Lindholm should have never been separated. Monty and Megna are the weakest pairing but fared just fine. If you look at last night's ice time, it was pretty well spread out across the lineup which says a lot about this team. It is starting to look more and more that it wasn't the players RC had to work with, it was the way he used them and the system he used. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the next game.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Disagree. I believe, as last night shows, when the forwards are playing a faster game and getting more than one shot on net each possession, the D does just fine. The dump and chase was killing the D. The forwards were standing around and not giving many options for outlet passes so the puck came right back. The D showed last night that they can play. I also feel the changes to the pairings has helped a great deal. Fowler seems comfortable with DelZotto and Manson and Lindholm should have never been separated. Monty and Megna are the weakest pairing but fared just fine. If you look at last night's ice time, it was pretty well spread out across the lineup which says a lot about this team. It is starting to look more and more that it wasn't the players RC had to work with, it was the way he used them and the system he used. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the next game.

Completely agree!

As far as the Monty/Megna pairing...I agree, too. But I've always loved the Monty/Mahura pairing. When we saw that in Mahura's first game I thought it was great. You're gonna get rookie mistakes from them -- and even from Monty as he is still young and figuring out his game. But these pairings have been great.

6 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Your not the only one...I am eager for the Ducks to start turning things up...I am guessing with Trade Deadline a week away. Who knows got a wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Regular season is one thing, postseason is an other. The inability to initiate contact and clear out the crease would have this years team, much like last years team, swept out of the first round. There are many glaring issues that stack against the Ducks to prevail in the postseason not just the D. Yeah, it sucks as a fan wanting this team to finish near the bottom of the league, but its the fastest way to a quick return to dominance. The team did show passion last night for the first time in a long long while, but was it for the sake of wanting to make a playoff push or was it out of respect to win one for Scotty? I think it was for the latter of the two...I still stand by my opinion and believe this team does not belong in the postseason...it will be ugly.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

If the teams plays like last night then we have a shot 

Agreed. They played a great game last night overall. If they play like that the rest of the way then they are going to make the playoffs, no question. I have little confidence in them playing that well down the stretch but I'd be happy to be wrong.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the next game.

No doubt. First time this year I'm excited to watch the next Ducks game. They are actually playing entertaining hockey again.

• Like 2

The Ducks need to show that they can be consistent before I would consider them playoff bound. They had two wins over Washington this season so maybe they just had their number. The next 6 games only have 2 solid playoff teams, 1 marginal playoff team and 3 teams just above us. Crazy season so far. The Ducks are 5 points out of a playoff spot and in the 6th lottery position.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The Ducks need to show that they can be consistent before I would consider them playoff bound. They had two wins over Washington this season so maybe they just had their number. The next 6 games only have 2 solid playoff teams, 1 marginal playoff team and 3 teams just above us. Crazy season so far. The Ducks are 5 points out of a playoff spot and in the 6th lottery position.

the 5 points thing IS deceptive though...as they need to leap frog 5 (FIVE!) teams to get in the playoffs. That does greatly hurt the odds...5 points when you're #9 is one thing...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Ducks are going to kill my dream of having any chance to land Kakko or Hughes, aren’t they lol?

ZERO CHANCE particularly if Chicago and Los Angeles land in the lottery.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

the 5 points thing IS deceptive though...as they need to leap frog 5 (FIVE!) teams to get in the playoffs. That does greatly hurt the odds...5 points when you're #9 is one thing...

This post needs to be bolded for everyone to see. On top of all the teams they have to pass, the Ducks still have by far the worst goal differential in the league and the second least amount of ROWs. Making the playoffs is so much easier said than done when you're a team that has only 4 wins in 2 full calendar months. Maybe they're turning a corner now but assuming that they do somehow make a run, they'll almost certainly have to win out on points altogether to get in. They have no tie-breakers in their favour which is a recipe for disaster when even the last place team in the west is "only" 8 points out of a playoff spot. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

This post needs to be bolded for everyone to see. On top of all the teams they have to pass, the Ducks still have by far the worst goal differential in the league and the second least amount of ROWs. Making the playoffs is so much easier said than done when you're a team that has only 4 wins in 2 full calendar months. Maybe they're turning a corner now but assuming that they do somehow make a run, they'll almost certainly have to win out on points altogether to get in. They have no tie-breakers in their favour which is a recipe for disaster when even the last place team in the west is "only" 8 points out of a playoff spot. 

True. It’s just that the West has been awful to the point that the Ducks could realistically get in given how they’ve played. Missing the playoffs and drafting outside of the top-10 would still be rough given that they should be drafting in the top-5.

It would be so cruel for the Ducks to improve their game just enough to really hurt their chances at getting a truly elite prospect. 

• Like 2

I am not sure if the Ducks will make the playoffs or not. But I think it's pretty amazing how a few changes to the lineup can make a big difference. To start, General Manager and Interim Head Coach Bob Murray put Michael Del Zotto on the first defensive pairing with Fowler, and they have done a pretty remarkable job. Now we have this pairing, as well as a solid pairing with Lindholm and Manson. That leads me to the second move Bob Murray made. He brought up 6'6" Jaycob Megna from the minors. Megna has the height of Chris Pronger, and also seems to have good leadership qualities, as he was The Gull's captain this year. At only 26, nice move for Murray to bring him up to the big club. Finally, Murray brought up Max Jones and Troy Terry. Jones has been great, and Terry hopefully will continue to improve. Murray has been making some good moves as the GM/coach, and I look forward to seeing how this team plays the rest of the year. By the way, with a Ducks win tomorrow in regulation, they will be only 3 points behind the Wild for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference. Let's Go Ducks! 

Edited by duck123

It's doable, but I don't expect it to happen. Look at Dallas the last two years. They had tons of offense, but could not stop anyone defensively. Their offense was better than what we currently have, and they couldn't make the playoffs.

Has any team ever played bad hockey for two months and made it to the playoffs? Even if they played bad deliberately those two months, they now have a lot of bad habits to break. If they play to a .500 record the next month, that will be an accomplishment given those bad habits. 

I just don't see it. That, and I want a top five pick.

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Ducks are going to kill my dream of having any chance to land Kakko or Hughes, aren’t they lol?

That was a given from the beginning. 2018-2019 Ducks problems.

Also what Zther said, the deck is stacked against the Ducks. Or the lottery balls, if you will.

Hahahaha oh hell, I just saw Edmonton is gunning for another first overall pick.

Edited by poum

30 minutes ago, poum said:

That was a given from the beginning. 2018-2019 Ducks problems.

Also what Zther said, the deck is stacked against the Ducks. Or the lottery balls, if you will.

I really don't understand all this conspiracy theory stuff about the lottery. Fourteen balls are put into the machine #1-14. Four balls are picked. Each team has a certain amount of four number combinations. There are three drawings:

1st team 18.5% or 185 4 number combinations. 2nd team 13.5% or 135 4 number combinations and so on until the 15th team with 1% or 10 4 number combinations. Last draft lottery Carolina was in the 11th spot at 3% or 30 4 number combinations and jumped up for the 2nd pick. Chicago was in the 7th spot last draft lottery (6.5% or 65 4 number combinations) but low and behold, they didn't get a top 3 pick. They actually fell to the 8th spot. If the league is in cahoots with Chicago to rig the lottery, then they should have gotten a top 3 pick. The only thing stacking the deck against Anaheim is where they finish in the standings. The percentages/4 number combinations gradually decrease.

Edited by perry_mvp
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Regular season is one thing, postseason is an other. The inability to initiate contact and clear out the crease would have this years team, much like last years team, swept out of the first round. There are many glaring issues that stack against the Ducks to prevail in the postseason not just the D. Yeah, it sucks as a fan wanting this team to finish near the bottom of the league, but its the fastest way to a quick return to dominance. The team did show passion last night for the first time in a long long while, but was it for the sake of wanting to make a playoff push or was it out of respect to win one for Scotty? I think it was for the latter of the two...I still stand by my opinion and believe this team does not belong in the postseason...it will be ugly.

great points, I said earlier, I don't want an other 0:4, because we will play against a division winner...

now we need only 23 games tank... thats not a lot. be smart and take the future elite player (Top 5 draft pick).... Getzy not going younger and then we have problems... so we have an elite player in the future who leads the team.

2 hours ago, poum said:

Hahahaha oh hell, I just saw Edmonton is gunning for another first overall pick.

they win the lottery of course... :X

6 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I really don't understand all this conspiracy theory stuff about the lottery.

4 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

they win the lottery of course... :X

I'm being facetious. But Spike gets it, though I think I deleted his comment.

Moral of the story, Edmonton always[/] wins. And in the long run the NHL is a travesty for it.

Ha. Butchered everything from the italiacs to the qoutes I wanted. Good job Poum, idiot.

Edited by poum

Glad to see the team making adjustments for the better ever since RC was canned. That still doesn’t mean we are anywhere close or even deserving to make the playoffs. Take the L for this season, avoid an embarrassing playoff sweep, and sit tight for a high draft pick. Think of the future!

If we end up missing the playoffs by 2 points, and in turn lose our chance for a top 5 or even number 1 or 2 pick, that right there would be a colossal screw up by management.

Picture this right now: showing up next year to the boards and seeing these #weshouldhavekappo #whereshughes ..... That is going to hurt big time I tell ya.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I really don't understand all this conspiracy theory stuff about the lottery. Fourteen balls are put into the machine #1-14. Four balls are picked. Each team has a certain amount of four number combinations. There are three drawings:

1st team 18.5% or 185 4 number combinations. 2nd team 13.5% or 135 4 number combinations and so on until the 15th team with 1% or 10 4 number combinations. Last draft lottery Carolina was in the 11th spot at 3% or 30 4 number combinations and jumped up for the 2nd pick. Chicago was in the 7th spot last draft lottery (6.5% or 65 4 number combinations) but low and behold, they didn't get a top 3 pick. They actually fell to the 8th spot. If the league is in cahoots with Chicago to rig the lottery, then they should have gotten a top 3 pick. The only thing stacking the deck against Anaheim is where they finish in the standings. The percentages/4 number combinations gradually decrease.

I agree. The Crosby draft was sketchy on the surface and sucked unless you were Pittsburgh but teams like Buffalo, Tampa, Florida, have all drafted 1st and 2nd overall in recent history. Being bad and lucky is the winning formulate getting those picks. Giving Chicago a franchise level defenseman in Dahlin would have been the rigged move to make if they were going to do it.

Seriously people even if the Ducks crawl into the last spot we have a coach with ZERO experience coaching let alone the type of coaching and strategy the team needs in the POs. What’s the point in either climbing high enough and not make it and get a lower pick or making the POs and being the leagues laughing stock like last season as we get swept and beat.  We need to get a high pick and grab a nice center to begin grooming him to replace Getz. Let’s not forget also that we are going to lose a good player ((again)) when expansion hits so there is even more reason to stock the cupboards high. We’re like an angry mob who isn’t thinking clearly to see that tanking is the best thing. Then next season we can be right in the mix again but with a better future secured. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree. The Crosby draft was sketchy on the surface and sucked unless you were Pittsburgh but teams like Buffalo, Tampa, Florida, have all drafted 1st and 2nd overall in recent history. Being bad and lucky is the winning formulate getting those picks. Giving Chicago a franchise level defenseman in Dahlin would have been the rigged move to make if they were going to do it.

I also agree...and in addition to all of that...when you look at the league's MO for the past 15 or so years...it's ALL about EXPANDING the league. If anything they would stack it AGAINST the teams that keep winning. No one in the front office wants Edmonton to have ANOTHER #1 pick. They want teams like Phoenix and Florida and Vegas and Seattle etc...to be strong. They literally, out in the open, directly made and even told everyone they were stacking the odds in favor of Vegas to be strong lol

EDIT: I can almost guarantee you Bettman was rooting for Arizona to get the Matthews pic. That would be his dream. Home town kid. Generational talent. Bad market team that needs serious help to get better. It would have been a dream.

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

We’re like an angry mob who isn’t thinking clearly to see that tanking is the best thing. Then next season we can be right in the mix again but with a better future secured. 

its that what I saying... we need future and to be smart. now we have only 23 games left.

the bad thing, we are only 5 points away from the playoffs, so coach and player maybe not wants to tank... I hope they lose tonight and then amen.

37 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Ducks jumped over a bunch of teams to get the #2 spot while the Pens already had better odds. So again, I just don't understand the conspiracy theory about it. If the NHL hated the Ducks so much, why even give us the #2 spot? On to the more recent drafts, in 2015 (I think) the NHL weighted the draft to be more like the what we have experienced recently. However, they haven't been consistent with the odds. I wouldn't really call it rigging but the 2016 lottery, Toronto had a 20% chance which is the highest up to now. In 2017 Colorado only had an 18% chance and last years draft, Buffalo had an 18.5% chance. I guess if there is some "good news" for Anaheim, the second and third picks have been going to lower ranked teams more often than not. It's almost a curse to be the second or third ranked team in the draft.

Edited by perry_mvp

3 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The Ducks jumped over a bunch of teams to get the #2 spot while the Pens already had better odds. So again, I just don't understand the conspiracy theory about it. If the NHL hated the Ducks so much, why even give us the #2 spot? On to the more recent drafts, in 2015 (I think) the NHL weighted the draft to be more like the what we have experienced recently. However, they haven't been consistent with the odds. I wouldn't really call it rigging but the 2016 lottery, Toronto had a 20% chance which is the highest up to now. In 2017 Colorado only had an 18% chance and last years draft, Buffalo had an 18.5% chance. I guess if there is some "good news" for Anaheim, the second and third picks have been going to lower ranked teams more often than not. It's almost a curse to be the second or third ranked team in the draft.

Oh boy, who doesn't love a good conspiracy.

I agree, just doesn't make any sense to hold the drawing behind closed doors with no camera on the selection. GM's should vote to have it a public selection to avoid any speculations, unless they are taking money and making private deals behind the same closed doors. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Lack of transparency breeds conspiracy theories. I know the league used to do the drawing in private and then just announce the winner of the draft lottery 'live' (they implied the lottery was happening live but the winner had already been pre-determined). I don't know if they have the lottery ball drawing on video these days but that would help show that it isn't rigged.

I don't really buy the league rigging a draft lottery, however it is pretty obvious that the league favors certain teams and players over others so I can see why people might believe such a conspiracy theory.

31 minutes ago, nieder said:

Lack of transparency breeds conspiracy theories. I know the league used to do the drawing in private and then just announce the winner of the draft lottery 'live' (they implied the lottery was happening live but the winner had already been pre-determined). I don't know if they have the lottery ball drawing on video these days but that would help show that it isn't rigged.

I don't really buy the league rigging a draft lottery, however it is pretty obvious that the league favors certain teams and players over others so I can see why people might believe such a conspiracy theory.

Here is a video from last years lottery. Sorry no preview just a link:

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/inside-the-draft-lottery-drawing/t-277437086/c-60176003?q=draft+lottery

• Like 1