The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Are The Ducks Playoff Bound?

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Seriously people even if the Ducks crawl into the last spot we have a coach with ZERO experience coaching let alone the type of coaching and strategy the team needs in the POs. What’s the point in either climbing high enough and not make it and get a lower pick or making the POs and being the leagues laughing stock like last season as we get swept and beat.  We need to get a high pick and grab a nice center to begin grooming him to replace Getz. Let’s not forget also that we are going to lose a good player ((again)) when expansion hits so there is even more reason to stock the cupboards high. We’re like an angry mob who isn’t thinking clearly to see that tanking is the best thing. Then next season we can be right in the mix again but with a better future secured. 

i've been watching the bench at the home games.  the assistants are doing the coaching, and they have experience enough to limp past the bottom feeders that are the pacific division this year.

or, we'll see how they do when they don't have home ice advantage, tonight.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

i've been watching the bench at the home games.  the assistants are doing the coaching, and they have experience enough to limp past the bottom feeders that are the pacific division this year.

or, we'll see how they do when they don't have home ice advantage, tonight.

The same assistants people have been complaining about though who are as they say incompetent. But yeah. We’ll see. Who knows maybe the RC effect also affected them? 

11 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The same assistants people have been complaining about though who are as they say incompetent. But yeah. We’ll see. Who knows maybe the RC effect also affected them? 

Aren't these all Carlyle's handpicked assistant coaches?  Don't they all usually get sacked once a permanent coach is brought in?

27 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Aren't these all Carlyle's handpicked assistant coaches?  Don't they all usually get sacked once a permanent coach is brought in?

I could see them possibly sticking around if Eakins is promoted.  Otherwise, yes, they'll almost certainly be canned.

Here’s the thing, do we really expect a coach with zero experience and assistants who are under performers to actually look good in the POs??? If so then what is the value in ever getting a “premium” coach when it would seem that anybody with no experience could just jump right in and do the job?? What’s the point in saying we want to get a Quenville caliber coach when the average Joe Schmo can do the job. 

So I conclude, why keep winning to “crawl” into the POs and get smoked cause that’s what will happen with these coaches running the show when what we actually NEED is a top center pick this coming draft. I don’t get it :blink::wacko:

Edited by RobD360

On 2/18/2019 at 0:31 PM, ducks07 said:

Regular season is one thing, postseason is an other. The inability to initiate contact and clear out the crease would have this years team, much like last years team, swept out of the first round. There are many glaring issues that stack against the Ducks to prevail in the postseason not just the D. Yeah, it sucks as a fan wanting this team to finish near the bottom of the league, but its the fastest way to a quick return to dominance. The team did show passion last night for the first time in a long long while, but was it for the sake of wanting to make a playoff push or was it out of respect to win one for Scotty? I think it was for the latter of the two...I still stand by my opinion and believe this team does not belong in the postseason...it will be ugly.

This has become quite a myth since Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA executed their tank jobs in the early-to-mid 2000s. Outside of Tampa Bay drafting Stamkos and Hedman back-to-back in 2008 and 2009 just three seasons after winning the Cup in 2004, no team that has finished in the bottom-5 of the NHL standings after a full 82 game season has "returned to dominance" in the past decade. Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, Colorado, Columbus, Vancouver, Montreal, NY Isle, Arizona - they have all drafted high year after year since the late 2000s, and yet their draft picks have not translated into playoff success. Yes, the Isles look good this year, but it's not thanks to their top-5 draft picks of Tavares, Reinhart, Neiderreiter and Strome, none of whom are still with the team. And while this may be the year Toronto finally breaks through after just 3 playoff appearances in the past 13 seasons (all 1st round exits), without Tavares they are still just an average team dreaming of the 2nd round, not of the Cup. And sorry to break the news, but John Tavares did not grow up dreaming of wearing the webbed-D. 

The reason I am against the tank is that I do not want the Ducks to create a losing culture the same way Buffalo, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton, etc. have. Losing is a sickness that infects and entire organization from top to bottom, and so I would rather they compete as hard as possible and draft in the middle than suck the life out of this franchise trying for a top-5 pick in the 2019 draft. Recent history shows that tanking a season makes you more Sabre than Lightning, and I don't want to take that risk. Besides, franchise-caliber players are available up and down the 1st round (Larkin (15th), Barzal (16th), and Boeser (23rd) come to mind) and I have a lot of faith in our scouting department to find a gem without crushing the spirit of this franchise and its fan base. We also still have that pesky logjam at left-D. Lindholm and Fowler currently play there, but Larsson and Mahura are clearly coming soon, so IMO we can always move a Left-D to help us find the player we need while still maintaining our winning culture (er, now that RC is gone, of course).

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Here’s the thing, do we really expect a coach with zero experience and assistants who are under performers to actually look good in the POs??? If so then what is the value in ever getting a “premium” coach when it would seem that anybody with no experience could just jump right in and do the job?? What’s the point in saying we want to get a Quenville caliber coach when the average Joe Schmo can do the job. 

So I conclude, why keep winning to “crawl” into the POs and get smoked cause that’s what will happen with these coaches running the show when what we actually NEED is a top center pick this coming draft. I don’t get it :blink::wacko:

Because much as we would hope it to be so, and as much sense as it makes to tank at this point to have better shot at a high pick, the players, and the gm/coach are not going to just mail it in, so we lose games.  Occasionally when they play up to their abilities, they're going to win games, like they did on Sunday.  So with an overall healthy roster, and a GM who does not want to embarrass himself, it's not going to be easy to keep losing at the pace we have been the past couple of months.  And we really need to maintain that craptacular pace in order to have a shot at one of the top 3 picks.

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This has become quite a myth since Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA executed their tank jobs in the early-to-mid 2000s. Outside of Tampa Bay drafting Stamkos and Hedman back-to-back in 2008 and 2009 just three seasons after winning the Cup in 2004, no team that has finished in the bottom-5 of the NHL standings after a full 82 game season has "returned to dominance" in the past decade. Edmonton, Florida, Buffalo, Colorado, Columbus, Vancouver, Montreal, NY Isle, Arizona - they have all drafted high year after year since the late 2000s, and yet their draft picks have not translated into playoff success. Yes, the Isles look good this year, but it's not thanks to their top-5 draft picks of Tavares, Reinhart, Neiderreiter and Strome, none of whom are still with the team. And while this may be the year Toronto finally breaks through after just 3 playoff appearances in the past 13 seasons (all 1st round exits), without Tavares they are still just an average team dreaming of the 2nd round, not of the Cup. And sorry to break the news, but John Tavares did not grow up dreaming of wearing the webbed-D. 

The reason I am against the tank is that I do not want the Ducks to create a losing culture the same way Buffalo, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton, etc. have. Losing is a sickness that infects and entire organization from top to bottom, and so I would rather they compete as hard as possible and draft in the middle than suck the life out of this franchise trying for a top-5 pick in the 2019 draft. Recent history shows that tanking a season makes you more Sabre than Lightning, and I don't want to take that risk. Besides, franchise-caliber players are available up and down the 1st round (Larkin (15th), Barzal (16th), and Boeser (23rd) come to mind) and I have a lot of faith in our scouting department to find a gem without crushing the spirit of this franchise and its fan base. We also still have that pesky logjam at left-D. Lindholm and Fowler currently play there, but Larsson and Mahura are clearly coming soon, so IMO we can always move a Left-D to help us find the player we need while still maintaining our winning culture (er, now that RC is gone, of course).

This is our one chance to land a franchise changing player and people are against it because they want to make the playoffs for absolutely no chance to win the cup. I see the team being competitive next season under a new system/coach, influx of youth and adding a top prospect from an already piddle poor season can only be seen as a positive. We are only 5 pts from the basement and 23 games to go. I don't think a losing culture can be developed from one season thats a little dramatic.  

• Like 1

5pts out of a Final Wildcard Spot and Playoff berth.....It's going to be Photo Finish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I just don’t have faith in Murray or our scouts to draft those gem type players, because they haven’t. Murray has drafted only one player in his entire tenure as GM that has scored more than 25 goals with the Ducks: Rickard Rakell. He also traded away a future one: Palmieri. I think Ritchie is a solid player, but he’s not nearly as good as Larkin, and yet Murray took the Ritchie five spots higher in the same draft. 

Pittsburgh drafted either 1st or 2nd overall for four straight years (Fluery, Malkin, Crosby, Staal.) Chicago drafted Kane and Toews in back to back years in the top-5. LA got Doughty 2nd overall. Boston got Seguin 2nd overall before he got Chiarelli’d. It seems like teams that have won Cups had to draft very high to get them there. Unless Murray struck gold with the current prospects in a way that he never has with forwards then the Ducks are likely going to need a very very high pick as a cornerstone piece to get them heading towards contending again. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 2

Ducks win 4-0 against The Wild tonight, and are now only 3 points out of the last playoff spot!  22 games left--Let's Go Ducks!!!!

Edited by duck123

5 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

No. BM brought them in. RC didn’t mesh well I think. 

Mans I expect them to be retained for Eakins or to be moved down there to replace him. 

Edited by Fisix

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

No. BM brought them in. RC didn’t mesh well I think. 

Mans I expect them to be retained for Eakins or to be moved down there to replace him. 

You're assuming that Eakins is interested in the job.  Last I heard he said he was happy in San Diego.

9 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

You're assuming that Eakins is interested in the job.  Last I heard he said he was happy in San Diego.

He was already promised the job when you read that. He’s in once the Gulls finish their season. 

3 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yep. They are making the playoffs. Prepare for frustrating mediocrity and not contending for the foreseeable future lol

LOL....They really got out played in the third period by the Wild. Miller was just better. Which is the theme of the season. Goalies standing on their heads for a win. They need to save all this enthusiasm for next season.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

LOL....They really got out played in the third period by the Wild. Miller was just better. Which is the theme of the season. Goalies standing on their heads for a win. They need to save all this enthusiasm for next season.

I missed the game but they seem right on track to limp into the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. If somehow Murray extends silfverberg to a retirement contract it will just be icing on the cake 

• Like 3

why, why, why? you go to playoffs only for an other 0:4 against a divisional winner and lose a top draft pick!?

If the Ducks not reach the playoffs or in the playoffs first round out, Murray must go!

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I missed the game but they seem right on track to limp into the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. If somehow Murray extends silfverberg to a retirement contract it will just be icing on the cake 

Are we really gonna do this? I mean don't get me wrong I love it to see the team win but now isn't the time to do so. I can totally see us ending 9th in the West, 1 or 2 points out of a Playoffs spot and picking 15th overall. That would be so Ducks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Are we really gonna do this? I mean don't get me wrong I love it to see the team win but now isn't the time to do so. I can totally see us ending 9th in the West, 1 or 2 points out of a Playoffs spot and picking 15th overall. That would be so Ducks.

it's exactly that what I fear... lose a top draft pick for nothing. even we reach the playoffs, I don't believe that we beat a divisional winner, I fear earlier an other 0:4. now Silvers value is increased, now you can trade him.

and then you pick at 15th or so... you have nothing.

I still shaking my head because I can't understand why they play to win...

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I didn’t think Anaheim was that bad in the third, the Wild just got momentum from back to back power plays. At least the Ducks didn’t just go into the Carlyle turtle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

I still shaking my head because I can't understand why they play to win...

Because it's their job.  Because their future salaries depend upon how well they perform.  Because some of them won't be with the Ducks next season, or the one after that, so they don't care if the Ducks are going to get a high draft pick.  Because the GM does not want to stand up and say, "look at this last place team I assembled."  Because the owners would rather have 2 Home Playoff games than None.  And because it's just human nature to want to win.  Losing Sucks, and it can deflate a player's belief in their ability to play to their true potential.

The bottom line is this.  It's obvious by now that our best shot at a top pick may have gone out the door at the same time Carlyle did.  If fans really wanted to tank, we should have all held off on calling for Randy's head, until the season was over.  He had the team playing "in the zone."  Suddenly players said....HOLY $H&T!  The GM is coach, I better wake up and start playing hockey.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Because it's their job.  Because their future salaries depend upon how well they perform.  Because some of them won't be with the Ducks next season, or the one after that, so they don't care if the Ducks are going to get a high draft pick.  Because the GM does not want to stand up and say, "look at this last place team I assembled."  Because the owners would rather have 2 Home Playoff games than None.  And because it's just human nature to want to win.  Losing Sucks, and it can deflate a player's belief in their ability to play to their true potential.

we don't have many UFAs this summer, only Silver/Grant/Megna/Del Zotto/Miller... ... Silver I would trade, now his value is increased and try for a first rounder 2020 or 2021 (so not counts for ED Seattle), sign the other, Miller maybe retires (It would be nice if he plays next season, but we have Gibson/Boyle). Try to trade also Eaves/Kesler.

so the future salaries I don't count as a point for that.

and if BM looks the future, we have no elite players after Getz/Perry, especially in offense... now we are 22 games away from taking an elite player. why you don't want to take that?! why you try to go to the playoffs, I don't believe that we beat a divisional winner, if we would go to the playoffs. as I said, be smart, lose the most of the rest of the season, try with the Gulls a deep run. If we don't do that now, we have a big problem after Getz is done.

I would like to take a young this year and try next 2-3 seasons with Getzlaf and this future elite player (hopefull a scorer) go

I know its not a manager game, but in every manager game I played, I took a lot of draft picks (1-2 rounder) and it works...

Edited by Spike1981

Y'all have to admit. It would be a pretty amazing story for us to win The Cup this year.  With our GM as coach. And our assistant coaches pretty much leading the team. I'm sure our GM/Coach has some tips along the way. And he made the moves to bring certain players up from The Gulls, and has chosen who plays with who. As much as I would like a top draft pick, I still think winning is more important. Just look at The Patriots. They never get a top draft pick, and always find a way to win. I know it's a different sport. But it's about the culture. Our team currently is 2nd in the whole NHL for most consecutive years we've been in the playoffs.  In other words, we are known for having a winning culture! We used to be a team where players did not want to sign with, because they did not think we would make the playoffs.  Now we have a culture of winning. It's not worth tanking a season to get a draft pick, if that could have the effect of helping create a culture of losing. That could hurt our chances of re-signing our talented players, and trying to sign free agents.  Let's keep our culture of winning.  Just my opinion.  Let's Go Ducks! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, duck123 said:

As much as I would like a top draft pick, I still think winning is more important. Just look at The Patriots. They never get a top draft pick, and always find a way to win

Pats have Brady&Belichick...thats the only reason they are strong, we will watch after they.. and look at Detroit, how long they were strong? and now? because they ride too long with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Fedorov, Yzerman, Zetterberg...

we ride with Getzlaf/Perry, thats the only reason we are in the last 10 years a playoff-team... but they have both maybe 3-4 years left on this level, Perry decreased already...I know, its a strange thing cheering for lose, but some time every team needs some restart...

43 minutes ago, duck123 said:

That could hurt our chances of re-signing our talented players, and trying to sign free agents. 

We don't have many UFAs/RFAs this summer. trade they who doesn't want to sign (as Silver for a 1st rounder, so we can pick 2 in first 31). now you are so close for a top 5 Pick, be smart and take the opportunity! again, if we reach the playoffs, we will play against a divisional winner....

next season we bounce back with an young elite player, we will be stronger!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Probably. The Ducks never do what you want them to do or what they need to.

We can want them to lose, but the players are still going to try.**  And we know this team is more talented than what they've shown.  So it shouldn't be surprising when they win more games down the stretch than they've been doing because coming into the season, most of us thought this was a fringe playoff team.  Combine that with other teams in the West playing poorly and anything can happen.

**Not applicable if your coach is Randy Carlyle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

The bottom line is this.  It's obvious by now that our best shot at a top pick may have gone out the door at the same time Carlyle did.  If fans really wanted to tank, we should have all held off on calling for Randy's head, until the season was over.  He had the team playing "in the zone."  Suddenly players said....HOLY $H&T!  The GM is coach, I better wake up and start playing hockey.

If only the West wasn’t a complete joke so that a team with a -51 goal differential is only 3 points out of a playoffs spot.