The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
nieder

Patrick Eaves on Waivers

Should have happened a long time ago but no one is going to pick him up. The guy is done. Wish we really knew what his real issues were. Farewell Mr Glass

Doesn’t mention conditioning stint so I will guess BM plans on keeping him there the rest of the season to give some of the young guys a chance. With Jones and Terry’s play, difficult to send either back. 

sigh...it's so sad to see good players have to just...completely fall out of the game due to injuries...especially too soon.

Hiller, Despres, Eaves... :\ I hope he's doing ok!!

• Like 3

Well, does this close the book on Eaves in Anaheim?

If so, final total for his 3 year deal.....9 Games Played  @  $1,050,000 Per Game

Plus he had time to get his degree.  Not bad pay if you can get it.

I'm trying to think of a player who produced so little after signing a big extension and nothing is immediately coming to mind. It's not his fault of course, you gotta feel for him. He's been through an inordinate amount of trash throughout his career. As good as he was playing beside Hulkzlaf for those few months, BM had to know signing an injury-prone winger in his 30s who has never put up those sort of numbers before was an enormous risk for a cash-strapped team with title aspirations. I just hope he stays healthy at this point. 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Should have happened a long time ago but no one is going to pick him up. The guy is done. Wish we really knew what his real issues were. Farewell Mr Glass

I've wondered if there was some sort of emotional trauma, or addiction issues. On  his first game back, the camera showed him sitting on the bench before the start of the game and he was shaking like a leaf. Something is clearly not right. I hope he gets the medical help he needs. It's too bad his productive  stay in Anaheim was cut so short.

Edited by Shadowduck

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

I wonder if the Ducks resign Silfverberg once they buy out Eaves. I hope so.

Eaves only has one more year left, might as well just bury him in the minors and ride it out.

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm trying to think of a player who produced so little after signing a big extension and nothing is immediately coming to mind. It's not his fault of course, you gotta feel for him. He's been through an inordinate amount of trash throughout his career. As good as he was playing beside Hulkzlaf for those few months, BM had to know signing an injury-prone winger in his 30s who has never put up those sort of numbers before was an enormous risk for a cash-strapped team with title aspirations. I just hope he stays healthy at this point. 

I don't think the Ducks were cashed strapped at the time (thanks Vegas!), which is why the extension was offered.

As far as another player who produced so little, the money isn't equivalent but Mark Fistric (3-years/$3.8M) comes to mind. Fistric only played 9 games (0G/0A, -3) of his 3-year extension and that contract, which is STILL on the books, actually contributed to our cap hell a few seasons ago. It was arguably even one of the factors in Stefan Noesen being lost to New Jersey on waivers (IIRC, GMBM was trying to sneak him through waivers to send him back to SD so he could save some cap space). A close second to Eaves' 3-year / $9.45M contract was Souray's 3-year / $11M deal, for which we got only 50 games out of Souray.  Souray's was also an over-35 contract so we couldn't lose any of the cap hit by buying it out (although his wrist injury prevented the Ducks from buying it out anyway). At least the Ducks can still save some money and cap space if they buy out Eaves this summer. In fact, is it possible that sending Eaves to San Diego might be part of a strategy for keeping him healthy enough for a buyout in June?

• Like 1

Why would Eaves agree to a buyout?  Isn't he essentially guaranteed the rest of his contract if he doesn't?

Seems to me that a buyout is only a good deal when it benefits both parties, and allows the player to move on to a new team.  No team in the league is going to sign Eaves for $1 at this point, and I'm sure he realizes that.  Sure, he would be helping the Ducks out, but costing himself a great deal of money he can pocket while playing.....or not playing.....in San Diego.

• Like 2

Just now, HockeyIzCool said:

Why would Eaves agree to a buyout?  Isn't he essentially guaranteed the rest of his contract if he doesn't?

Seems to me that a buyout is only a good deal when it benefits both parties, and allows the player to move on to a new team.  No team in the league is going to sign Eaves for $1 at this point, and I'm sure he realizes that.  Sure, he would be helping the Ducks out, but costing himself a great deal of money he can pocket while playing.....or not playing.....in San Diego.

He would only need to agree to a buyout if (a) he is deemed physically unfit to play, or (b) it is outside the June buyout window. If he is cleared physically in June, the Ducks can buy him out without his permission.

Well, we're talking about Eaves here, so there's at least a 50/50 shot he'll be deemed physically unfit to play come June.

When you say the Ducks can buy him out without his permission, does that mean he gets his full salary, but it just doesn't all count against the salary cap?  I don't understand why the Ducks wouldn't need to honor the remaining $3M+ on his contract for next season.

5 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Well, we're talking about Eaves here, so there's at least a 50/50 shot he'll be deemed physically unfit to play come June.

When you say the Ducks can buy him out without his permission, does that mean he gets his full salary, but it just doesn't all count against the salary cap?  I don't understand why the Ducks wouldn't need to honor the remaining $3M+ on his contract for next season.

He would get 2/3 of the remaining salary, so the Ducks would save $1M in salary by buying him out.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Ugh.  How sad.  

It is....Sad it has to come to this...But we know with him dealing with Health issues. Honestly it's for the Best for our Ducks and Eaves going forward.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

nice and for him we lost a first rounder...

You never know with injuries. With the chemistry he had with Getzlaf over that rental run when we got him, it seemed a great pickup. The extension, though, given his injury history, is a blooper.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aksun said:

You never know with injuries. With the chemistry he had with Getzlaf over that rental run when we got him, it seemed a great pickup. The extension, though, given his injury history, is a blooper.

yes of course, his injuries were the killer

20 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Thanks!  Well, that changes what I had said earlier.  Only $933,333 per game.  That 9th game put him below the $1M mark.

:D

On 2/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, PetrSykora said:

Hello! Perry! At least his effort level took a dump

5 hours ago, semipro-1 said:

Hello! Perry! At least his effort level took a dump

Perry? Nah no way. Since singing his extension in 2013, he's had a 40 goal season, two 30 goal seasons, scored some of our biggest playoff goals, and has at least still managed to produce points in these last two seasons after his skating has gone to hell. He might not be worth his contract now, but he was certainly earning it up until recently. He's not even comparable to Eaves. 

• Like 3

On 19/02/2019 at 4:48 PM, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think the Ducks were cashed strapped at the time (thanks Vegas!), which is why the extension was offered.

As far as another player who produced so little, the money isn't equivalent but Mark Fistric (3-years/$3.8M) comes to mind. Fistric only played 9 games (0G/0A, -3) of his 3-year extension and that contract, which is STILL on the books, actually contributed to our cap hell a few seasons ago. It was arguably even one of the factors in Stefan Noesen being lost to New Jersey on waivers (IIRC, GMBM was trying to sneak him through waivers to send him back to SD so he could save some cap space). A close second to Eaves' 3-year / $9.45M contract was Souray's 3-year / $11M deal, for which we got only 50 games out of Souray.  Souray's was also an over-35 contract so we couldn't lose any of the cap hit by buying it out (although his wrist injury prevented the Ducks from buying it out anyway). At least the Ducks can still save some money and cap space if they buy out Eaves this summer. In fact, is it possible that sending Eaves to San Diego might be part of a strategy for keeping him healthy enough for a buyout in June?

My timeline was a bit off, oops. It should be an upgrade anytime you can replace Stoner's AAV with a player you believe to be a top-6 scorer. I'm sure it would have been if he didn't have such terrible luck.

Souray is a great comparison. It's easy to get caught up in the frustration of all the injuries and forget how solid both players were for us when they were healthy. Speaking of forgetting about things, Fistric is a throwback. He certainly fits the bill though. Even though he wasn't as high profile of a signing, those stats are brutal. I guess with the youthful direction the team is trending, buying out Eaves in the offseason wouldn't handcuff us the way Fistric did. The idea of paying someone not to play and getting penalized in cap space years after the fact still makes me nervous though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Perry? Nah no way. Since singing his extension in 2013, he's had a 40 goal season, two 30 goal seasons, scored some of our biggest playoff goals, and has at least still managed to produce points in these last two seasons after his skating has gone to hell. He might not be worth his contract now, but he was certainly earning it up until recently. He's not even comparable to Eaves. 

He’s thortoned every playoff game since the cup..couldn’t care less, keeps looking at the clock, won’t go near the net..skates off without a care.

• Like 1