The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Silfverberg Signed

12 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

*sigh* GMHCBM. If this deal goes above 5.5 mil  per with a NMC , I’m going to IKEA, and I’m going to jump off their roof. 

I'm going to guess $5.5M/season with a 10-team NTC. That sounds about right. I'm good with it too. I was worried Silf would be pushing for 6 or 7 years, which would be a big NO, but 5 years is ok. He has a tremendous compete level, he plays a solid 200-foot game, and he can score 20.  Best we could have gotten for him is probably a pick in the 25-31 range, and the odds of finding a better player than Silf for the next 5 years in that spot are small.  The cap will also continue its ascent towards $90 million and we'll have Seattle's entry fee to pay for this contract too. This contract makes the team better for the next five years than it would have been if he left.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

You’re too kind. It’s beyond stupid. This just delays a rebuild and assures that the Ducks will continue to not be contenders. Murray said earlier this year that this team wasn’t. So, he decides to keep the same roster in tact, make it more expensive, older and limit the chances of prospects that the future of the team relies upon? It makes no sense. I’m guessing it’s around the $5 mil range, which for a roughly 40 point guy approaching 30 y/o still isn’t great. 

I have to think Murray has plans in place to rid the team of at least one of our big 3 albatross contracts. If not, this makes no sense. Getting rid of guys like Grant or Ritchie isn't going to free up all that much cap space. Hell, even Eaves is only getting $3M per season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ritchie seems most likely to me. His compete level has noticeably NOT increased since GMIHCBM went behind the bench, and there was that little hold-out issue earlier in the year that has surely soured the team on him a bit. If they're waiting to announce the deal because they need more tagging space, a Ritchie move makes sense too. His $1.5M should provide all the tagging space they need for Silf's raise.

I hope not. Ritchie is going to crush his point totals in a season despite playing in fewer games though. He’s on pace for over 40 points which is what Silfverberg usually gets and who’s about to make around $4 mil more and is 6 years older.

What about Terry? He must be stoked knowing that he’s likely going to be in the AHL for most of the foreseeable future with Perry, Silfverberg and Kase on RW for years.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

There will absolutely be a trade or two this summer. Probably a very significant contract. GMIHCBM has 22 more games to figure out who its going to be.

At this point we'll see what Bob does...if he trades Miller it'll be obvious where his mind is. If he doesn't...then I don't know...

My original prediction was Miller for sure would be gone before the deadline and Silf IF he's not signed. And then in the off-season one of our top 4 D is gone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I hope not. Ritchie is going to crush his point totals in a season despite playing in fewer games though. He’s on pace for over 40 points which is what Silfverberg usually gets and who’s about to make around $4 mil more and is 6 years older.

What about Terry? He must be stoked knowing that he’s likely going to be in the AHL for most of the foreseeable future with Perry, Silfverberg and Kase on RW for years.

Terry needs to show he can stick at the NHL level before they keep a spot open for him. He's still a fringe NHLer. Kase can't stay healthy either. I don't think you can bank on Kase being a consistent top-9 RW until he shows he can stay in the lineup. And if he does, great! More trade bait! Too many good players at one position is a luxury, not a detriment. It allows you to trade one to fill other deficiencies in your lineup.

12 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

guess we roll 4 scoring lines

6 minutes ago, nieder said:

I have to think Murray has plans in place to rid the team of at least one of our big 3 albatross contracts. If not, this makes no sense. Getting rid of guys like Grant or Ritchie isn't going to free up all that much cap space. Hell, even Eaves is only getting $3M per season.

Ugh. Kesler isn’t waiving his NMC. Getzlaf shouldn’t be moved unless you are fully committing to a rebuild, which the Silfverberg extension indicates they aren’t doing. Perry makes the most sense but is he going to waive his NMC and who will take him lol? What sweetener is going to be thrown in to make a deal like that happen? It just seems very unlikely 

Just now, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ugh. Kesler isn’t waiving his NMC. Getzlaf shouldn’t be moved unless you are fully committing to a rebuild, which the Silfverberg extension indicates they aren’t doing. Perry makes the most sense but is he going to waive his NMC and who will take him lol? What sweetener is going to be thrown in to make a deal like that happen? It just seems very unlikely 

It would be a buyout. Kesler most likely.

50 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

*sigh* GMHCBM. If this deal goes above 5.5 mil  per with a NMC , I’m going to IKEA, and I’m going to jump off their roof. 

I will be happy to put you back together if they provide the convenient instruction manual. 

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

Silfverberg leads our team in goals. Is a great 2-way-player. Still in his 20's. Pretty fast skater. Has arguably the best shot on the team, which can go far in the playoffs. (As evidenced by his playoff success.) No-maintenance. Great signing, in my opinion. 

It's not so much that it's a bad move in a vacuum.  I really do like Silf and he's a valuable player for the team.  I will withhold some judgment until we know how much it's for, but if it's anything south of $5 million, he's worth it.  And the playoff performance is a big part of it.

But we're not in a vacuum.  If Silf wants to stay, then great.  Work out a deal with him and say, "Hey buddy, we're going to let you go chase a Cup for 3 months.  I'll be waiting for you with this contract when July 1st rolls around."  That's got to be worth at least a 2nd rounder to some teams.  So trade him and then re-sign him.  It's the best of both worlds.  By not doing that, it signals that Murray is going to continue to let the roster get older and more expensive and has a slimmer and slimmer chance of competing for a Cup in the next 5 years.

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Terry needs to show he can stick at the NHL level before they keep a spot open for him. He's still a fringe NHLer. Kase can't stay healthy either. I don't think you can bank on Kase being a consistent top-9 RW until he shows he can stay in the lineup. And if he does, great! More trade bait! Too many good players at one position is a luxury, not a detriment. It allows you to trade one to fill other deficiencies in your lineup.

Ah yes, let's put Terry on the Kyle Palmieri plan.  You'll come up and down as an injury replacement, look pretty good when you finally get regular playing time, and then you'll get traded for a draft pick right before you break out because we have a bunch of guys who play your position.  This is poor asset management by Murray.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

guess we roll 4 scoring lines

Do we even have one currently? Our leading scorer has 16 goals lol

25 minutes ago, nieder said:

It would be a buyout. Kesler most likely.

I don’t think Murray will do that until the expansion draft if at all. 

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

How’s he going to get time and reps with Perry, Kase and silfverberg ahead of him though? Hoping that there’s an injury doesn’t seem like the best way to do it. The Ducks need futures and to look longer term which moving Silfverberg would have helped with also. This lineup is already deficient and Murray seems to think that it’s fine as is. 

37 minutes ago, nieder said:

For the 2019-2020 season, Capfriendly currently has the Ducks at $6,646,909 below this year's cap figure of $79.5M. That's before the Silfverberg extension is factored in, but it also includes Eaves' $3.15M, which will surely be cut in half by a buyout. If the Cap goes up another $2-3M (which it almost certainly will) we're then likely seeing at least $5M in cap space going into the offseason. And if we move Ritchie and go with Rakell-Jones-Shore down the left wing, we're looking at around $7M+ in cap space with only a 13th forward, a backup goalie, and a couple of bottom-pair D-men to sign. No, we don't get a high priced UFA. But we're not getting one of those anyway next season. Bob will build from within for 2019-2020.

That said, I do think Bob will move someone this summer, but not due to age or an albatross contract. He will move someone that he sees lacking the compete-level and leadership skills that he wants for this team. 10, 15, 17 still bring the compete-level and leadership that he will need to instill in the younger players. It's the 20-somethings that he is disappointed in and will take steps to fix.

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

Ah yes, let's put Terry on the Kyle Palmieri plan.  You'll come up and down as an injury replacement, look pretty good when you finally get regular playing time, and then you'll get traded for a draft pick right before you break out because we have a bunch of guys who play your position.  This is poor asset management by Murray.

Shout it from the mountain tops!

11 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Do we even have one currently? Our leading scorer has 16 goals lol

meaning 4 offensively minded lines instead of 2 scoring lines 1 shutdown line and 1 checking/energy line.

4 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

1G/1A in 15 NHL games and you already have him compared to Palmieri? A bit premature, no? Besides, he'll be only 23 and coming off his ELC when Perry's contract expires. If he's going to be a top-6 forward, the kid has plenty of time to EARN his way into that spot over the next two seasons. 

5 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

How’s he going to get time and reps with Perry, Kase and silfverberg ahead of him though? Hoping that there’s an injury doesn’t seem like the best way to do it. The Ducks need futures and to look longer term which moving Silfverberg would have helped with also. This lineup is already deficient and Murray seems to think that it’s fine as is. 

Kase is out for the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his shoulder and he has a significant concussion history. Perry just missed 50 games with a knee injury and turns 34 in May. Terry now has 22 more games to audition for a spot on the roster next season. Let's talk again once the season is over, and once he's shown he actually belongs at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

sign:(

it was a super opportunity this year, only 25 games tank and you have minimum a top 5 draft pick. no we fight for the playoffs, will take the 9th place in conference or 8th and then 0:4 against a divisional winner... nice, very smart...

Grant 0,65 Mio, Sprong 0,75 Mio, Gibbons 1,0 Mio, Rowney 1,13 Mio.... room for younger guys? where? they are the cheapest players in the roster...

Do you think Jones, Terry, Comoros, etc will make more?

Rakell - Getz - Perry

Kase - Henrique - Silfverberg

Jones - Comtois - Terry

Shore - Roy/Grant - UFA

assuming Kesler is bought out and Ritchie is moved or plug Rithie on 4th line RW

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

1G/1A in 15 NHL games and you already have him compared to Palmieri? A bit premature, no? Besides, he'll be only 23 and coming off his ELC when Perry's contract expires. If he's going to be a top-6 forward, the kid has plenty of time to EARN his way into that spot over the next two seasons. 

Kase is out for the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his shoulder and he has a significant concussion history. Perry just missed 50 games with a knee injury and turns 34 in May. Terry now has 22 more games to audition for a spot on the roster next season. Let's talk again once the season is over, and once he's shown he actually belongs at the NHL level.

Yes, because with the logjam at RW, it's the path he's headed down.  What's worse is that we may never even know if he can be as good as Palmieri.  What I don't understand is why this deal wouldn't be available on July 1st.  If Murray was honest with Silf and Silf likes it here as much as he says, why not get an asset AND the player if we really want to keep him around?  Plus, at that point Murray is operating from a position of flexibility.  Having a surplus of players at one position is nice, but it means teams offer less for them knowing you don't have room for them all.

And oh yeah, there's also Sprong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Thing is.. we don't know what BM knows. For all we know Kesler might retire on his own or voluntarily go on LTIR. He's a fierce competitor and if he knows he can't compete anymore I think pride will not allow him to flounder out on the ice for 3 more seasons or alllow himself to be relegated to fourth line minutes.

Not sure why everyone is upset here, Silfverberg is a great player and everything I have heard the salary cap is going up next season by a good amount.  Signing and keep Silfverberg does no preclude making room for the prospects. But remember,they are JUST prospects and resources to be traded as well. If there is a logjam great.. more bargaining chip. Between Ritchie and all of the Gulls prospects the Ducks have plenty of chips to trade for a first round pick. Gibbons and Del Zotto are coming off the books. That's another 3 million available.

Also don't forget the expansion draft is coming. 

Very happy Silf is  staying. As I see it after the old guys are gone it is going to be Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, Kase that become the new forward core. That leaves nine open slots for all the prospects everyone is worried about. Probably will see  Jones, Sherwood and Comtois in that mix as well.

P.S.  even if the Ducks tanked we all know that Edmonton is going to get one of the top two picks in the lottery and that either La, Chicago, Detroit or New Jersey will get the other. 

Edited by Shadowduck
  • Like 1

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

My bad for not stating the implications for next season with the Silfverberg signing when everyone is presumably healthy. What if Terry shows that he can be a top-9 guy? (which I think he’ll end up being). Perry is almost impossible to move, Kase stays and now they’ve paid up for Silfverberg who isn’t some offensive juggernaut with impossible to replace production. While also not getting needed assets for him. The current roster is not getting it done, not even close. Murray seemingly hasn’t learned anything and keeps doing the same stuff while constantly saying that things need to change. It’s beyond frustrating. Maybe he doesn’t care about the mess he’s creating because someone else will ultimately be cleaning it up and actually rebuilding in 3 years.

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yes, because with the logjam at RW, it's the path he's headed down.  What's worse is that we may never even know if he can be as good as Palmieri.  What I don't understand is why this deal wouldn't be available on July 1st.  If Murray was honest with Silf and Silf likes it here as much as he says, why not get an asset AND the player if we really want to keep him around?  Plus, at that point Murray is operating from a position of flexibility.  Having a surplus of players at one position is nice, but it means teams offer less for them knowing you don't have room for them all.

And oh yeah, there's also Sprong.

Could be a sign and trade for all we know and contract is dependent upon which team can afford what.

3 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Could be a sign and trade for all we know and contract is dependent upon which team can afford what.

I hope you're wrong but like I said in my post a few minutes ago, we here on this board don't know all the facts. We don't know what Bob knows. Also because of this tagging issue they may not be able to actually sign the deal until after the trade deadline. Not sure how many other teams are going to trade a long term asset for a player who "says" he's going to sign a deal.

Edited by Shadowduck

13 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Thing is.. we don't know what BM knows. For all we know Kesler might retire on his own or voluntarily go on LTIR. He's a fierce competitor and if he knows he can't compete anymore I think pride will not allow him to flounder out on the ice for 3 more seasons or alllow himself to be relegated to fourth line minutes.

Not sure why everyone is upset here, Silfverberg is a great player and everything I have heard the salary cap is going up next season by a good amount.  Signing and keep Silfverberg does no preclude making room for the prospects. But remember,they are JUST prospects and resources to be traded as well. If there is a logjam great.. more bargaining chip. Between Ritchie and all of the Gulls prospects the Ducks have plenty of chips to trade for a first round pick. Gibbons and Del Zotto are coming off the books. That's another 3 million available.

Also don't forget the expansion draft is coming. 

Very happy Silf is  staying. As I see it after the old guys are gone it is going to be Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, Kase that become the new forward core. That leaves nine open slots for all the prospects everyone is worried about. Probably will see  Jones, Sherwood and Comtois in that mix as well.

He might get LTIR but I don’t see him retiring and voluntarily giving up money. The Ducks might get Seattle to take on the last year of his contract, which would keep silfverberg as a Duck.

If Henrique, Silfverberg and Kase are your core then your team isn’t going to contend. Not even close to it. Plus. Henrique and Silfverberg are both going to be 30 and on the downside of their careers and declining. 

To me, all I know about Murray is that he’s not the GM to get this team a chance for another orange banner in Honda Center and is making that goal much more difficult to achieve.

20 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

It's not a sign and trade.  That hasn't happened in a long time and every single bit of reporting has indicated the Murray wants to keep Silf.  I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Better hope we tank now you non-tankers...we won't have enough cap space to make a push for a top end UFA and need to rely upon an ELC from a top end draft pick.

Top end UFA?  The last time the Ducks made a move to pickup a top end UFA was Scott Niedermayer.  Are we talking about the same GM here?  The Ducks normally wait until a couple of days after FA opens, before surveying what's left on the market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think Getzlaf will retire a Duck, playing his entire career with the club.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Top end UFA?  The last time the Ducks made a move to pickup a top end UFA was Scott Niedermayer.  Are we talking about the same GM here?  The Ducks normally wait until a couple of days after FA opens, before surveying what's left on the market.

And when have we done that before Scotty? I am genuinely asking. Bob HATES the overpaying of UFAs come July 1st. How many of them really work out, too? Tavares is. But similar to Scotty, Tavares took LESS money. Scotty only came here and took less money 'cause Rob was here. So even the Scott Niedermayer UFA signing wasn't really the typical July 1st frenzy type of signing nor the overpaying that so many players get.