Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Silfverberg Signed

Recommended Posts

How do we even know that Silfverberg has been officially signed to an extension? I do not see it on The Ducks page, the NHL.com page, or on any results from a Google search. If anybody would know that Silfverberg were resigned, it would be Eric Stephens.  And he just posted this article about an hour ago, where Silf is still not signed yet...

https://theathletic.com/828636/2019/02/20/explaining-the-logic-in-the-re-signing-of-ducks-winger-jakob-silfverberg/

Edited by duck123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

And when have we done that before Scotty? I am genuinely asking. Bob HATES the overpaying of UFAs come July 1st. How many of them really work out, too? Tavares is. But similar to Scotty, Tavares took LESS money. Scotty only came here and took less money 'cause Rob was here. So even the Scott Niedermayer UFA signing wasn't really the typical July 1st frenzy type of signing nor the overpaying that so many players get.

Scottie came here to play with his brother.  Otherwise, it's unlikely he would have.  And Brian Burke was the GM, not Murray.  Plus there were new owners, who were eager to spend some money to put a high quality team on the ice, and pursue the Cup.  None of that applies here, and if Silfverberg had left, he would have been replaced with another mid-level FA.  There is way more discussion on the boards each June about who to go after, than there likely is within Ducks management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, duck123 said:

How do we even know that Silfverberg has been officially signed to an extension? I do not see it on The Ducks page, the NHL.com page, or on any results from a Google search. If anybody would know that Silfverberg were resigned, it would be Eric Stephens.  And he just posted this article about an hour ago, where Silf is still not signed yet...

https://theathletic.com/828636/2019/02/20/explaining-the-logic-in-the-re-signing-of-ducks-winger-jakob-silfverberg/

Per @PierreVLeBrun, the Ducks and Jakob Silfverberg have "essentially" come to an agreement on a five-year contract extension. They can't make the official announcement for a bit because of salary-cap tagging issues.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see Henrique being moved at the deadline and maybe Fowler and Rakell being moved for some big hauls in the offseason. GMBM has said there will be changes and they are running out of assets really fast. Maybe treating Kesler like a Hossa and attaching that salary with Rakell to a low cap team. That is a lot of salary, Your core of Getz, Perry, Silfverberg, Lindholm and Gibson can keep you competitive while the young guys come up and take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Scottie came here to play with his brother.  Otherwise, it's unlikely he would have.  And Brian Burke was the GM, not Murray.  Plus there were new owners, who were eager to spend some money to put a high quality team on the ice, and pursue the Cup.  None of that applies here, and if Silfverberg had left, he would have been replaced with another mid-level FA.  There is way more discussion on the boards each June about who to go after, than there likely is within Ducks management.

Reasoning stated in the first comment in this thread  

Signing won’t be official until March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

And when have we done that before Scotty? I am genuinely asking. Bob HATES the overpaying of UFAs come July 1st. How many of them really work out, too? Tavares is. But similar to Scotty, Tavares took LESS money. Scotty only came here and took less money 'cause Rob was here. So even the Scott Niedermayer UFA signing wasn't really the typical July 1st frenzy type of signing nor the overpaying that so many players get.

Sergei Federov probably counts, even though he was on the downside of his career.  Other than that, I can't think of any off hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Top end UFA?  The last time the Ducks made a move to pickup a top end UFA was Scott Niedermayer.  Are we talking about the same GM here?  The Ducks normally wait until a couple of days after FA opens, before surveying what's left on the market.

whose to say he is the GM after next season? Bob will be gone and we will still have the lousy contracts on the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had to sign him to trade him.  i'll be surprised if there's an NMC in Silf's contract.

Kesler - I think the team has built up enough good will with him since he's been here that he'd be willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft.  I have no basis on which to think that, just a feeling.

Hank isn't going anywhere.

I expect Fowler and Monty to be contemplated for movement.  Nick is too cheap to move.  

Edited by Fisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sergei Federov probably counts, even though he was on the downside of his career.  Other than that, I can't think of any off hand.

 Sergei fedorov could still help us now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sergei Federov probably counts, even though he was on the downside of his career.  Other than that, I can't think of any off hand.

Saku Koivu? Another guy on the downside of his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yes, because with the logjam at RW, it's the path he's headed down.  What's worse is that we may never even know if he can be as good as Palmieri.  What I don't understand is why this deal wouldn't be available on July 1st.  If Murray was honest with Silf and Silf likes it here as much as he says, why not get an asset AND the player if we really want to keep him around?  Plus, at that point Murray is operating from a position of flexibility.  Having a surplus of players at one position is nice, but it means teams offer less for them knowing you don't have room for them all.

And oh yeah, there's also Sprong.

This deal isn't available on July 1st because there is currently no one else bidding against the Ducks for his services. On July 1st there would be at least 10 serious bidders and he would get signed for longer term and more money. Silf wants to stay here, sure. But he's also getting guaranteed money NOW. If he waits until July 1st, he risks 22 more regular season games of potential serious injury and who knows how many playoff games (if traded to a serious contender). How much money would another concussion or a torn labrum cost him between now and July 1st? Probably millions. He likes obviously likes Anaheim and I'm sure he was anxious to wrap this up for peace of mind, but if he'd made it to July 1st with no contract from the Ducks he was not going to be coming back here.

This is also apples and oranges with Palms. When Palms wrapped up the third year of his ELC he was still sitting behind two legends (a 28-year-old Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne) on the depth chart. He was a year into his bridge deal when Teemu finally hung up the skates, right in time for him to suffer than ankle injury that kept him out of camp and the first six weeks of the season in 2014-15. It was basically five years of scattered opportunities with only one season where he was put in a "leading" role to showcase his skills. Meanwhile, Terry wraps up his ELC when a 35-year-old Corey Perry has one year left on his deal. There's not going to be two legends standing in his way to showcase his talents like there was for Palms. He'll get plenty of opportunities to showcase himself.

And speaking of Sprong, if Terry ends up stuck behind Sprong on the depth chart, then Terry isn't the guy you hope he is and is certainly expendable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Retire9 said:

I could see Henrique being moved at the deadline and maybe Fowler and Rakell being moved for some big hauls in the offseason. GMBM has said there will be changes and they are running out of assets really fast. Maybe treating Kesler like a Hossa and attaching that salary with Rakell to a low cap team. That is a lot of salary, Your core of Getz, Perry, Silfverberg, Lindholm and Gibson can keep you competitive while the young guys come up and take over.

Murray says a lot of things then doesn’t do them, not that I have any faith in him to  pull them off. He’s generally pretty bad with asset management, as the silfverberg extension being his most recent example.

That core might get you into the playoffs but nothing more, all while hurting your draft stock and making it more difficult to get the future core pieces that the organization needs to actually contend. It just makes the path to the Cup harder. In the very near future, the Ducks will no longer rely on Getzlaf and Perry (the fact that they still do is already troubling). I’d like to have as many options and as good of a prospect pool as possible to build on.

LA will win another Cup before the Ducks do because they at least acknowledge reality and are making moves with a clear vision towards that goal.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Per @PierreVLeBrun, the Ducks and Jakob Silfverberg have "essentially" come to an agreement on a five-year contract extension. They can't make the official announcement for a bit because of salary-cap tagging issues. At any rate, Silfverberg is off the trade market.

Read somewhere it's a Five year deal....still checking on some sources.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@mayorNHL More Anaheim Ducks news...

 

The Jakob Silfverberg extension may not be as close as some think. Told there is an internal push to trade him for the assets. Then, take their chances with trying to ink him (re-sign him?) as UFA on 7/1.

 

In other news...

 

Hearing Sharks and Ducks are working on a Ryan Miller trade (likely for ~ a third round pick). The 38-year-old netminder has a modified NTC, allegedly won't be an issue though. Also, if he plays next year, told strong chamce he re-signs w/ Anaheim this summer.

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silfverberg is one of the few players who played hard most of the games, he deserves his contract. Seems like Ducks will need to dump some heavy salary to clear some room for him. Fowler would be the most logical candidate, IMHO.

Edited by FanSince1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duck123 said:

How do we even know that Silfverberg has been officially signed to an extension? I do not see it on The Ducks page, the NHL.com page, or on any results from a Google search. If anybody would know that Silfverberg were resigned, it would be Eric Stephens.  And he just posted this article about an hour ago, where Silf is still not signed yet...

https://theathletic.com/828636/2019/02/20/explaining-the-logic-in-the-re-signing-of-ducks-winger-jakob-silfverberg/

@icemancometh

Jakob Silfverberg is staying put with #NHLDucks, essentially agreeing on a five-year contract extension. @JoshuaCooper and I each presented cases why that was the right move by the team or the wrong one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

 

@mayorNHL More Anaheim Ducks news...

 

The Jakob Silfverberg extension may not be as close as some think. Told there is an internal push to trade him for the assets. Then, take their chances with trying to ink him (re-sign him?) as UFA on 7/1.

 

In other news...

 

Hearing Sharks and Ducks are working on a Ryan Miller trade (likely for ~ a third round pick). The 38-year-old netminder has a modified NTC, allegedly won't be an issue though. Also, if he plays next year, told strong chamce he re-signs w/ Anaheim this summer.

This trade has made the most sense to me when I thought about where Miller most likely would go. Wish it was a little higher than a 3rd though haha

As for Silf...it's not the sign then trade...it's the trade then sign :P 

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

 

@mayorNHL More Anaheim Ducks news...

 

The Jakob Silfverberg extension may not be as close as some think. Told there is an internal push to trade him for the assets. Then, take their chances with trying to ink him (re-sign him?) as UFA on 7/1.

 

In other news...

 

Hearing Sharks and Ducks are working on a Ryan Miller trade (likely for ~ a third round pick). The 38-year-old netminder has a modified NTC, allegedly won't be an issue though. Also, if he plays next year, told strong chamce he re-signs w/ Anaheim this summer.

It’s Murray, probably gave Silfverberg an NMC/NTC and ownership stake on top of it.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Hearing Sharks and Ducks are working on a Ryan Miller trade (likely for ~ a third round pick). The 38-year-old netminder has a modified NTC, allegedly won't be an issue though. Also, if he plays next year, told strong chamce he re-signs w/ Anaheim this summer.

For a 3rd? haha...I would rather keep him instead of helping the Sharks out. I think a prospect and a 2nd round pick should be the floor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

For a 3rd? haha...I would rather keep him instead of helping the Sharks out. I think a prospect and a 2nd round pick should be the floor.

While I completely agree with all of this lol I don't think GMs have the same resentment towards other teams being successful in the playoffs if their own team isn't in the playoffs.

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

While I completely agree with all of this lol I don't think GMs have the same resentment towards other teams being successful in the playoffs if their own team isn't in the playoffs.

I just think you can get more in return. For instance to the Flames who are desperate for goaltending offer Miller for Dillon Dube and a 3rd round pick and with performance incentives that can upgrade the pick to a 2nd round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/20/ducks-jakob-silfverberg-reach-agreement-on-a-5-year-contract-extension/

Ducks right wing Jakob Silfverberg, who leads the team with 16 goals in 51 games this season, has agreed to a five-year contract, an NHL source confirmed to the Southern California News Group on Wednesday. The deal can’t be officially signed until after Monday’s NHL trade deadline because of salary-cap issues that would delay a formal announcement. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

Elliotte Friedman Retweeted Elliott Teaford

AAV on this expected to be approx $5.25M

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Murray says a lot of things then doesn’t do them, not that I have any faith in him to  pull them off. He’s generally pretty bad with asset management, as the silfverberg extension being his most recent example.

That core might get you into the playoffs but nothing more, all while hurting your draft stock and making it more difficult to get the future core pieces that the organization needs to actually contend. It just makes the path to the Cup harder. In the very near future, the Ducks will no longer rely on Getzlaf and Perry (the fact that they still do is already troubling). I’d like to have as many options and as good of a prospect pool as possible to build on.

LA will win another Cup before the Ducks do because they at least acknowledge reality and are making moves with a clear vision towards that goal.

 

 

Future core pieces would come from Fowler and Rakell trades.

While an aging Getz and Perry, will keep the team competitive and butts in the seats I don't think they take you to the playoffs. You can trade some younger assets Fowler, Rakell and Kase gain some strong assets then try again with the younger guys now and hope they are ready to take over by the time Getz and Perry retire.

The recent re-tool was killed by Carlyle and now we have to many expensive contracts that needed to be handed out in order to compete during our window. Now unfortunately you'll have to trade off the good young talent you have now in order to try again with Kes, Getz and Perry are off the books. Unless you luck out and find a way to ship out Kes, Ricco and Eaves and use that almost 16 mill to reinvest into the team. But its gonna take some hard to swallow trades, that wont happen because if they do GMBM will be basiclly saying he got it wrong which will possibly get him fired. So we are probably stuck with results every year until he gets fired and a new guy comes in and tears it all down,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

I just think you can get more in return. For instance to the Flames who are desperate for goaltending offer Miller for Dillon Dube and a 3rd round pick and with performance incentives that can upgrade the pick to a 2nd round.

You're 100% right but I think they'll try and do right by Miller and keep close to SoCal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Retire9 said:

Future core pieces would come from Fowler and Rakell trades.

While an aging Getz and Perry, will keep the team competitive and butts in the seats I don't think they take you to the playoffs. You can trade some younger assets Fowler, Rakell and Kase gain some strong assets then try again with the younger guys now and hope they are ready to take over by the time Getz and Perry retire.

The recent re-tool was killed by Carlyle and now we have to many expensive contracts that needed to be handed out in order to compete during our window. Now unfortunately you'll have to trade off the good young talent you have now in order to try again with Kes, Getz and Perry are off the books. Unless you luck out and find a way to ship out Kes, Ricco and Eaves and use that almost 16 mill to reinvest into the team. But its gonna take some hard to swallow trades, that wont happen because if they do GMBM will be basiclly saying he got it wrong which will possibly get him fired. So we are probably stuck with results every year until he gets fired and a new guy comes in and tears it all down,

Silverberg should get you a decent return. A second round pick and an ok prospect if not a conditional first rounder. That’s on top of helping with the cap and getting younger guys in the lineup (Terry). Silfverberg is a 40 point player set to make over $5 million in which is just dumb for a team needing to rebuild.

Trading Rakell and keeping Silfverberg would be the height of Murray’s stupidity. Trading away your most talented goal scorer and over paying for someone that isn’t should have Murray committed.

Murray killed the rebuild and he’s continuing to do more and more harm to the the Ducks’ future while having the luxury of not being around to clean his mess up. He can’t do the most common sense of things and should have been fired along with Carlyle. He’s the new Chiarelli.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Insanity 

Corey Sznajder @ShutdownLine
Ducks re-sign Jakob Silfverberg. Consistently one of the league leaders in shots, entries and exits for the minutes he plays. Somehow managed to be above average in shots on this year's dreadful Ducks team.

https://twitter.com/ShutdownLine/status/1098390522568298497

Edited by DuckFan4Life
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, duck123 said:

How do we even know that Silfverberg has been officially signed to an extension? I do not see it on The Ducks page, the NHL.com page, or on any results from a Google search. If anybody would know that Silfverberg were resigned, it would be Eric Stephens.  And he just posted this article about an hour ago, where Silf is still not signed yet...

https://theathletic.com/828636/2019/02/20/explaining-the-logic-in-the-re-signing-of-ducks-winger-jakob-silfverberg/

He won't officially sign the extension until March 1st because of tagging issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...