The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Silfverberg Signed

I'm perfectly fine with the term and $$$, but I still view this as a missed opportunity to acquire at least 1, if not multiple future assets. Boyle went for a 2nd round pick last week...Silf could have easily gotten a 1st + prospect/draft pick at that going rate. 

The saving grace is that Silf's age/style of play fits well in the timeframe we signed him too. If he can be productive and our leading goalscorer during this kind of mess of a season, then the future should hold well for him.

11 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I'm perfectly fine with the term and $$$, but I still view this as a missed opportunity to acquire at least 1, if not multiple future assets. Boyle went for a 2nd round pick last week...Silf could have easily gotten a 1st + prospect/draft pick at that going rate. 

The saving grace is that Silf's age/style of play fits well in the timeframe we signed him too. If he can be productive and our leading goalscorer during this kind of mess of a season, then the future should hold well for him.

He's a 40-50pt/season player who will be getting 60-70pt/season money.

Should have been 4-4.5M/yr

His numbers haven't increased, why should his pay?

Edited by ducks07

6 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

His goals/assists haven't increased but his play has. 

5 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Sports does not equal real life. You can't look at it as "pay", you have to look at it as his share of hockey-related revenue. By the end of this new contract, the NHL salary cap will probably be $20M higher than what is was when he signed his $3.75M/season deal based on the surging HRR. He is entitled to some of that increase. All NHL players are. It's the same reason the league minimum salary keeps climbing even though most league-minimum players still play like they are league-minimum players. The higher the cap, the more everyone should get paid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sports does not equal real life. You can't look at it as "pay", you have to look at it as his share of hockey-related revenue. By the end of this new contract, the NHL salary cap will probably be $20M higher than what is was when he signed his $3.75M/season deal based on the surging HRR. He is entitled to some of that increase. All NHL players are. It's the same reason the league minimum salary keeps climbing even though most league-minimum players still play like they are league-minimum players. The higher the cap, the more everyone should get paid.

So, Rakell needs a better agent? 

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Doubt it’s a goodbye to Henrique. They play different positions. I think it’s more shedding Gibbons, Rowney, Sprong (only because he’s been scratched), and possibly Grant to make room for the young guys. 

Sprong is only 21.  Would like to see more of him before shedding him.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

So, Rakell needs a better agent? 

No, just leverage. He didn’t have arbitration rights and was years away from UFA status. Apples and oranges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Doubt it’s a goodbye to Henrique. They play different positions. I think it’s more shedding Gibbons, Rowney, Sprong (only because he’s been scratched), and possibly Grant to make room for the young guys. 

I would say Henrique gets moved.  Maybe at the draft.

Edited by Fowl

56 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Sprong is a project.  One that Eakins would understand.

• Like 1

Can an nmc be enforceable from an extension that isn't yet in effect? I sure hope not

If it's south of 5 mil a season and no nmc,  I won't be too disappointed. Thing is, there will be an nmc, and it will be north of 5 mil a season.  This will not simply delay the rebuild, it will also complicate it. We need high draft picks, period.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

A decent argument, but I disagree. Results = reward, no results = no more than a cost of living adjustment, and that's only if the prior contract wasn't over priced.

Silf's due a cost of living increase, but no more than that. He's a good player, but I'd prefer the draft picks back from a playoff team shopping for a two-way forward.

11 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Can an nmc be enforceable from an extension that isn't yet in effect? I sure hope not

If it's south of 5 mil a season and no nmc,  I won't be too disappointed. Thing is, there will be an nmc, and it will be north of 5 mil a season.  This will not simply delay the rebuild, it will also complicate it. We need high draft picks, period.

Whom are you thinking about?  

2 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

A decent argument, but I disagree. Results = reward, no results = no more than a cost of living adjustment, and that's only if the prior contract wasn't over priced.

Silf's due a cost of living increase, but no more than that. He's a good player, but I'd prefer the draft picks back from a playoff team shopping for a two-way forward.

When Silf signed his last contract his career high was 13 goals. 13 goals got him $3.75M/season. He’s had multiple 20 goal seasons since then. That’s not a cost of living increase, that’s a pure performance increase.

Also, for everyone stressing the loss of a draft pick, do you not understand that a player with term left on his contract is far more valuable than that same player on an expiring contract? If Silf as a pending UFA is worth a pick in the 25-31 range, Silf locked up for 5 years is worth that same pick + a prospect + a 3rd rounder. He’s not getting an NMC so slow your roll. He’ll still be movable.  If Terry excels for the remainder of this season and you still want to trade Silf, he’ll get an even larger return now that he’s signed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Silverberg should get you a decent return. A second round pick and an ok prospect if not a conditional first rounder. That’s on top of helping with the cap and getting younger guys in the lineup (Terry). Silfverberg is a 40 point player set to make over $5 million in which is just dumb for a team needing to rebuild.

Trading Rakell and keeping Silfverberg would be the height of Murray’s stupidity. Trading away your most talented goal scorer and over paying for someone that isn’t should have Murray committed.

Murray killed the rebuild and he’s continuing to do more and more harm to the the Ducks’ future while having the luxury of not being around to clean his mess up. He can’t do the most common sense of things and should have been fired along with Carlyle. He’s the new Chiarelli.

If he wanted to trade Silf and start the re-tool he'd do so now. No one will take Silf now until he's on the last year of his deal. Which means Rakell and Lindholm are really the only great trade assets. 

He just signed Ricco and Silf, so unless he accepts the loss on Ricco. Who else do you have to trade? You say Rakell is a no, you have the Dman, all good assets but nothing to replace them (traded to many of them already) that leaves you Ritchie, Kase and the young guys and that doesn't get you much. 

The fans need to prepare for very little change in this roster over the next few years unless GMBM makes some desperate trades. Getz, Perry, Rakell, Silf, Ricco, Kesler, Kase, Ritchie and Spring where do the kids fit in there?

2 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Yeah! I mean...if Ritchie has been getting all these 2nd looks...and 3rd....and 4th....and 5th....Sprong deserves similar.

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah! I mean...if Ritchie has been getting all these 2nd looks...and 3rd....and 4th....and 5th....Sprong deserves similar.

Ritchie should go before Sprong

58 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Silfverberg. I hope he's tradeable at least through the draft.

BM is unlikely to do a sign and trade with Silf.  Maybe Henrique.

1 hour ago, Retire9 said:

If he wanted to trade Silf and start the re-tool he'd do so now. No one will take Silf now until he's on the last year of his deal. Which means Rakell and Lindholm are really the only great trade assets. 

He just signed Ricco and Silf, so unless he accepts the loss on Ricco. Who else do you have to trade? You say Rakell is a no, you have the Dman, all good assets but nothing to replace them (traded to many of them already) that leaves you Ritchie, Kase and the young guys and that doesn't get you much. 

The fans need to prepare for very little change in this roster over the next few years unless GMBM makes some desperate trades. Getz, Perry, Rakell, Silf, Ricco, Kesler, Kase, Ritchie and Spring where do the kids fit in there?

I agree that he’s blowing off a rebuild, because if he won’t trade Silfverberg, there’s no way he’s trading Rakell, Kase or Lindholm this offseason. To me, Fowler, Montour or Manson would be the big piece that he trades. Murray has to move more money out to fit in Silfverberg’s extension and to fill out the roster. He may move out Ritchie, which would be another dumb move unless he’s making it part of a major impact trade.

I agree that with the contracts Murray has given out, there’s not going to be much turnover so fans should prepare for the Ducks to just not be very good.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Flower, Ritchie, Miller...see ya later.

Miller almost for sure soon...Ritchie I could totally see...and Fowler maybe, but in the off-season.

38 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

Flower, Ritchie, Miller...see ya later.

I hope they don't... I could really see him throwing up 40-50 points with a coach that knows how to use him.

36 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree that he’s blowing off a rebuild, because if he won’t trade Silfverberg, there’s no way he’s trading Rakell, Kase or Lindholm this offseason. To me, Fowler, Montour or Manson would be the big piece that he trades. Murray has to move more money out to fit in Silfverberg’s extension and to fill out the roster. He may move out Ritchie, which would be another dumb move unless he’s making it part of a major impact trade.

I agree that with the contracts Murray has given out, there’s not going to be much turnover so fans should prepare for the Ducks to just not be very good.

He really doesn't have to move any money out plus he's expecting the cap to go up as well. The Ducks according to capfriendly will have $7.7M in space prior to the Silf extension for next season. I think Murray is hoping the cap goes up to cover whatever Silf gets in his contract. Then he'll do his usual dumpster diving and prance around when he signs whatchamacallit.

42 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Too many dmen... I honestly can't see Fowler being moved. GMBM loves him and I do thing he was going to break out before they brought RC back. Mountor should be moved though. Manson showed he can score and play great D last year, Manson, Lindholm and Fowler is a good Day core. Mountor already wants to much money. Mountor could be a good return but him, Montour and a 2nd could get you a great top line player...

Toronto...

1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

He really doesn't have to move any money out plus he's expecting the cap to go up as well. The Ducks according to capfriendly will have $7.7M in space prior to the Silf extension for next season. I think Murray is hoping the cap goes up to cover whatever Silf gets in his contract. Then he'll do his usual dumpster diving and prance around when he signs whatchamacallit.

Cap is going up 1mill to 80.5...

30 minutes ago, Retire9 said:

Too many dmen... I honestly can't see Fowler being moved. GMBM loves him and I do thing he was going to break out before they brought RC back. Mountor should be moved though. Manson showed he can score and play great D last year, Manson, Lindholm and Fowler is a good Day core. Mountor already wants to much money. Mountor could be a good return but him, Montour and a 2nd could get you a great top line player...

Toronto...

I do think Fowler is the least likely of the three. Any trade would probably be for futures because Murray can’t really take back money. Plus, where would that player fit in with Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, Kesler, Silfverberg, Henrique, Ritchie, Kase, Rowney, Sprong all under contract. Not to mention Jones or Terry. Murray continues to over commit himself to an aging forward group, made it almost impossible to get out from it, while said group is also one of worst offenses in the NHL that is only going to get older, slower and less productive. They have no shot at a Cup.

He’s a moron and has been for a while now. I’m glad that he’s starting to get exposed more.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

Little high think 4.5 is a better number, but his little tear probably got that 500 thousand for him. 

Everyone thinks that there’s not going to be any change and we needed to get a lottery pick. 

Were not Detroit or LA. We have you g forwards coming. Steel, Terry, Jones, Comtois, Morand, Groulx. We still have Larsson and Mahura. 

Kesler’s contract is the only thing I think totally screws us and Eaves to a lesser extent. 

I’m unsure as to what we do with our line up next year as we are log jammed on the wing. 

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry 

Jones - Rico - Terry 

Kase - Someone - Silfverberg 

Rowney - Kesler - Sprong?

id hate to waste Sprong, he’s shown such promise and I’d hate to pull a Pens and throw that away. We also have Comtois who’s clearly NHL ready, maybe even Sam Steel 

Very curious to see how things will unfold this summer. Getz, Perry, Kesler, Henrique & Silfverberg take up a lot of space. Does Eaves' salary count against the cap while he's in San Diego?

I'm wondering whether BM will make a move for Nylander. His play hasn't been that stellar since his comeback (missed preparation though) but I still believe Toronto has to let him go. We have a history with Toronto and we have something they want.