The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Who gets the Wild Cards?

With around 18-20 games left and our Ducks clearly out of it, I'm curious who everyone here is rooting for to make the playoffs, and also who you all think will get in?

Out West, I'm rooting for Colorado and Minnesota to get the WCs. Colorado because they already have Ottawa's 1st rounder and I don't want them to have two bites at the draft lottery apple. Minnesota because Boudreau. His new GM sold off Grandlund, Coyle and Niederreiter, their captain (Koivu) just suffered a season-ending knee injury, and their leading scorer on defense (Dumba) has been out since December. I think it would be awesome if Boudreau still managed to coach them into the tournament. I've also never liked Dallas, and as much as I want Cogs to have personal success for the rest of eternity, if he doesn't make in it this year that's perfectly ok with me.

Back East, are you all rooting for Columbus to make it in? Currently they are 5th in their division and 1 point out of the last WC spot. It's going to be a dogfight between Columbus, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Montreal for the WCs. I think Montreal ends up on the outside looking in.

What say you?

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

West: Avs/Yotes would be cool. Chicago replaces Yotes if I care about more interesting matchups. 

East: CBJ and Carolina/Montreal would be cool. Hopefully Pitt is the one that doesn’t make it.

Arizona has 2 games left against the Ducks so if they could help out our tank and make the WC that would be nice. 

Edited by Spencer_12

In the West, Colorado definitely.  After that, I don't really care.  I don't want to see Chicago or Dallas in there.  Minnesota, Arizona, or Vancouver would all be inoffensive choices.  For some odd reason my gut has me leaning toward Vancouver, maybe because of Pettersson, but Boudreau doing a miracle with the least talented roster he's ever had would be fun.

In the East it's really a four team race for three spots - the two Wild Cards plus third place in the Metro.  I'd like to see Columbus and Carolina in there for sure, one as the third place Metro team and one as a Wild Card. 

Then I'm torn.  I don't care about Montreal in the slightest, so seeing them left out would be fine.  I really don't WANT the Penguins to make it, but I also think a match up between them and the Lightning in the first round would be interesting.  We'd either get a great series where the Penguins put it all together and give the Lightning a run for their money, or we'd see them get crushed under the juggernaut that is Tampa Bay.  I'd be entertained regardless.  What's less entertaining is seeing the Lightning obliterate Montreal, or a team I want to see make a run, like Columbus or Carolina.  

Assuming Toronto vs Boston is a lock, here are the matchups I'd root for:

• Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh
  • NYI vs Columbus (one of two tortured franchises gets a playoff win)
  • Washington vs Carolina
  • Like 3

Colorado definitely. They gave Trashville a run for their money in the first round last year, and their top line is playing even better this time around. More importantly as everyone has already said, it keeps them away from having that second ball in the upcoming draft lottery. The other wild-card spot I don't care as much for. Assuming Calgary wins the west, I guess my first choice would be Vancouver. Those two always make for fun playoff matchups. My second choice would have to be Chicago simply cause Minnesota and Arizona are as boring as it gets. Cogliano aside, Dallas is still a sickening team. They can finish 9th for the rest of eternity. 

The east is a little more intriguing. I really want Boston to fall out of the division (or the playoffs altogether tbh) so the long awaited Toronto-Montreal series can finally happen. That's unlikely though. I think Montreal takes the WC1 spot either way. Pittsburgh will probably put it together and end up taking a divisional spot where they'll face New York (cool) or Washington (barf). Between Carolina and Columbus, I really couldn't care less. It would be hilarious if Columbus missed out after all the moves they made though. Carolina having choreographed dances after every game in the playoffs won't go over well at all so that would be worth seeing too. That second wild-card team is getting stomped by Tampa either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritDuck168 said:

Guy Boucher fired from Ottawa what chance did the poor bloke have when they had such a fire sale?!

Tanking intensifies...

That's not that good though. I mean Colorado holds their pick. What's the incentive to tank? They should be trying to win every game and create a winning culture. Moving forward that will help them a lot. 

42 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

That's not that good though. I mean Colorado holds their pick. What's the incentive to tank? They should be trying to win every game and create a winning culture. Moving forward that will help them a lot. 

Ottawa has been a dumpster fire. This is not an on purpose thing. They just truely suck. The owner is also an asshat.

Edited by poum
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, poum said:

Ottawa has been a dumpster fire. This is not an on purpose thing. They just truely suck. The owner is also an asshat.

I understand that. They really need a coach like gallant who could get a bunch of decent guys to play as a team. They need to try to prevent a mentality like they have in Edmonton at all costs. 

2 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I understand that. They really need a coach like gallant who could get a bunch of decent guys to play as a team. They need to try to prevent a mentality like they have in Edmonton at all costs. 

Ottawa is also a season and a half removed from being an 2OT goal away from the SCF. The fall from grace has been swift and brutal for the Senators. (obligatory LOL @Ottawa. Colorado will win this draft.)

Where as Edmonton has been useless for the better part of a decade while drafting... Ugh, I don't want to look up how many draft picks they have in the top 5. It's gonna be depressing.

• Like 1

Ottawa's not at edmonton's level, yet. Ah, who am I kidding? Edmonton has been hot garbage for over a decade, and they're once again saying "rebuild" lol

On 3/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, g20topdogg said:

Ottawa's not at edmonton's level, yet. Ah, who am I kidding? Edmonton has been hot garbage for over a decade, and they're once again saying "rebuild" lol

Lol @ rebuild with a McDavid. At least Chickawo won some cups for all the cap hell they're in.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, g20topdogg said:

Yeah, I made a comment or two after BM said he wasn't firing RC to the likes of "Oh great! We're the new Oilers old boys club". I've never been so happy to be wrong.

As for everyone giving BM crap for being silent and not communicative with the fan base. I do understand that. On the flip side, there's Ottawas GM who is nothing more than a puppet for Melnyk. While Melnyk is... He made a huge joke of himself last off season. He makes the queit yet distant but supportive Samuelies look like Saints.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aksun said:

Lol @ rebuild with a McDavid. At least Chickawo won some cups for all the cap hell they're in.

They might get there. If there ever was a player to build a team around it's McDavid. They have him locked up for many years to come at a reasonable cap hit. Draisaitl ain't no slouch either but I'd consider trading him for a package. If they only could rid themselves of that lucic contract :lol: 

Bumping this thread to say I'm 100% behind a Carolina-Washington first round series. I'm getting giddy thinking of the reactions to whatever dumb celebration they'll come up with when they win their first playoff game in a decade. They don't have much of a chance against Tampa but I honestly think they can upset Washington and take the whole series. Who needs a formal handshake line when you can dunk on a prop basketball net?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Bumping this thread to say I'm 100% behind a Carolina-Washington first round series. I'm getting giddy thinking of the reactions to whatever dumb celebration they'll come up with when they win their first playoff game in a decade. They don't have much of a chance against Tampa but I honestly think they can upset Washington and take the whole series. Who needs a formal handshake line when you can dunk on a prop basketball net?

I was going to create a thread to discuss who everyone is going to root for since the Ducks will not be in the playoffs. I usually look at all the teams who are in the post season and figure out which one(s) I will root for if the Ducks are not still playing. In the Eastern Conference I like both Tampa and Washington. (I know it looks bandwagon but my folks live in Tampa and my  buddy lives near DC.)  In the West it is much more difficult since I hate most of the teams. If I had to root for anyone I guess it would be Vegas or San Jose. Vegas is still too new to have learned to hate, and despite Joe Thorton playing for the enemy all these years I would not  mind if he finally won a Cup. Maybe St Louis or Minnesota . While I think the Jets are the Strongest team in the West I don't want to see either them or the Flames come close to winning a Cup. 

Edited by Shadowduck

1 hour ago, BritDuck168 said:

The Islanders winning it after Tavares jumped ship would be funny.

I'm rooting a TOR-NYI Eastern Conference Final. The Islanders don't have to win the Cup but if they win that matchup. This will one of the craziest most silly season/playoffs ever.

As for the West... Uh... Colorado doesn't have an annoying Canadian fan base or a terrible mustard color sheen on their jerseys. So... Them?

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

Some people are probably getting a bit antsy in columbus. Who'd have thought montreal would be in the running for a Playoff spot? Not to mention they play each other on Thursday. I'm still gonna go with columbus. They play at home, have a game in hand and have upcoming games against the sabres, rangers and sens. In The West I'm picking Colorado. They play the yotes in a couple of days btw. Exciting times.

As far as I'm concerned don't let it be nashville. That's all I'm asking for. I'f I'm going to be picky the flames and maple leafs not winning would also make me giggle.

I don't hate the Islanders, and I think it would be great for their fanbase to win, but the last thing I want is for Bob Murray to get it into his head that he needs to hire another defensively minded coach.  The Islanders are 21st in goal scoring.  If they make a run and beat teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa or Toronto, Murray's going get it in his head that he needs more defense.

Carolina is fun, I could root for Columbus as well.  I want to see Toronto demolish Boston (although it probably won't happen).  Tampa is front runner pick, but they're so good and fun to watch.

In the West, it's Winnipeg, St. Louis, or Colorado.

I don't really have a team for who I will jump on the bandwagon, I just have teams I hate and teams I like.

I hate the Predators, Flames, Stars, Penguins, Leafs. So long as none of those teams win I would be happy.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:19 PM, g20topdogg said:

Would we still have a team if we were as bad as the Oilers for that long?

Something something attendance something.

Despite the fact I have heard from dozens of people here in Edmonton over the last few months saying they can't give tickets away at times.

I'm starting to think a potential Dallas-Nashville first round series wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Actually never mind, it would be the worst thing ever and it might take the sport a few years to fully recover from that total disease on ice BUT at least one of them will knee, flop, and elbow their way out to an early exit. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm starting to think a potential Dallas-Nashville first round series wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Actually never mind, it would be the worst thing ever and it might take the sport a few years to fully recover from that total disease on ice BUT at least one of them will knee, flop, and elbow their way out to an early exit. Nothing wrong with that. 

Woof.  Talk about rooting for a meteor. 

Actually, I take that back.  I would never wish such a fate on a meteor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Think of the kids! No one wants that!

Also, I haven't checked the main forum. Is Manson dead?

It's the time of year Fowler normally dies. It's weird to see Manson go down.

• Haha 1