The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

New & Improved Ducks!

I don't know about you, but I'm fired up about next season!  Our team has been on a roll, and against some top quality teams!  We just beat the Canadians, a playoff team, 8-2 last night.  We almost beat the Blues, a playoff team, on Wednesday. If it wasn't for the Blue improbable comeback win, we could have easily won that game. We beat the Coyotes the night before. Coyotes are the next team up for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.  We beat the Avalanche the game before that. Avalanche are close to a playoff spot also. The point is that I think we have finally found a winning formula, and one we can take into next year.  And something cool to go along with it?  We still have the 5th worst record in the league, meaning we can still hopefully get a high draft pick if we stay around where we are in the standings.  Definitely excited about this team next year.  So, why are we winning?  I have some theories. 

1) We are more well-rested.  I thought Coach Randy Carlyle was a decent coach. However, one of the big problems I think we had under his watch was players not getting enough rest. A lot of teams make morning skates optional on game day, for instance.  They weren't optional under coach Carlyle. They are now.  The Ducks just seem more well rested, which translates to them being more fresh for game day. No wonder why other teams always seemed more energized when the Ducks played them when Coach RC was coach.  The other teams were more well rested.  Had more recovery time. Maybe the Ducks would have played better under Coach Carlyle if he didn't skate them so much. 

2) Our defense plays zone now, instead of man coverage.  And I think this is easier for the defense.  

3) Manson has been reunited with Lindholm as a pairing. 

4) Fowler has played well with Larsson, most recently, and with Guhle before that.  

5) The pairing of 6'6" Megna and 6'3" Holzer gives us nice size for our third defensive pairing. 

6) Gibson and Miller are both finally healthy in net. 

7) We have infused some youth into our forward lineups.  And the lines have really been clicking! 

First line: 6'3" Jones is 21 years old.  Sprong is also only 21 years old, and super skilled. Has mad potential as a first line next year, if they can keep the chemistry going. 

Second line: Ritchie is only 23 years old, and Silfverberg is also still in his 20's, at 28. Plus, their center, Shore, is only 24 years old. (Nice move, btw, switching him from wing to center. Gives us three great centers now, like we had with Kesler in the lineup--not to mention a fourth great potentially really good center in Grant or Rowney.) 

Third line: All three players are in their twenties. Rakell is 25 years old.  Henrique recently turned 29 years old.  And Terry is only 21 years old. 

Fourth line: Perry gets to play with two players in their twenties: Carter Rowney, at 29, and Derek Grant, at 28 years old.  So, if we stick with the lineup we has night, the only forwards not in their twenties would be Getzlaf and Perry.  This is not to say that being in ones thirties is old.  But definitely nice being one of the youngest teams now in the NHL, with a lot of potential for future success. 

8) This does not even mention that our very talented defense, with the exception of Holzer (Who may or may not be here next season) is all in their twenties as well.  Cam Fowler: 27. Larsson and Guhle are both 21.  Lindholm is 25.  Manson is 27.  Megna is 26.  And even Welinski is only 25.  So, in last nights game, only one defenseman was not in his twenties, and only 2 of our forwards were not in their twenties. Just like that, we are now one of the most talented young teams in the NHL. 

9) We have more skill and speed now throughout our lineup. Our first line, with Jones and Sprong, add some much needed skill and speed to the Getzlaf line.  And our second line is oozing with talent and speed also, with Shore, Ritchie, and Silfverberg.  Even our third line is super fast and talented, with Rakell, Henrique, and Terry.  And our fourth line is very talented as well, with Grant, Rowney, and Perry.  Just like that, our team is now ready to compete with any team in the "New NHL."   And we will be for years to come. 

10) We are rolling all four lines.  Each of the players from our supposed 4th line last night had at least 12 minutes and 27 seconds of ice time last night. And with the exception of Sprong, nobody had less.  We are rolling 4 lines, making it tough for opposing teams.  If any of our 4 lines can score at any time, makes it really tough on the opposing defense.  Maybe why we scored 8 goals last night against the Weber and Price led Montreal Canadians! 

Okay, this is starting to become a novel.  LOL.  JK.  I'll just leave it at this.  The New and Improved Ducks are here to stay!  We have great goalies!  We have one of the best young and talented defenses in the league!  And we now have one of the most exciting and talented young offenses in the league!  Our team can literally beat any team in the "New NHL," and I look forward to seeing how we do next season.  And we may even get a high draft pick this year.  Getting a player like Kaapo Kakko would be nice.  But even if we don't, we still have a great offense.  Besides, even if we got Kakko and he is ready for the NHL, who right now on our top 3 lines would we take out of the lineup to create a spot for him? 

Should be a great end to the year.  And I look forward to seeing what we do next season. Let's Go Ducks!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, duck123 said:

who right now on our top 3 lines would we take out of the lineup to create a spot for him? 

That's the bigger question here...who do we take out of our line-up to make room for Kase, Comtois, Lunderstrom, and Steel? The first 2 are certainly coming I would think...Lunderstrom looked great before he got sent away. Steel maybe isn't ready yet. Also, Grant would need to be re-signed. And what if Eaves gets healthy???

We'd have to resign Megna, too but we have Mahura on D!

Yeah, there's a lot to be excited for next season! And if we get one of those top 3 or 4 picks...we're in even crazier good shape. There's no pressure on the team anymore and I think that has freed them up to have more fun and that is turning into playing better. A lot of bright spots!

I find it really interesting that the beginning and end of the season we have been clicking...yet those are the spots we had the most younger players in the line up. Albeit the beginning of the season we were being terribly outshot and we aren't anymore. So that is definitely something!

• Like 1

I am actually pleased with the play of Korbinian Holzer. He is not a flushy player but gets his job done. Solid, stay home defensive plays and forechecking impressed me so far. I wonder why Carlyle kept him so long in the minors.

• Like 2

Need to add Kase to the mix as well. 

note: Jasoaks mentioned Kase above. Oops. Think Lunderstrom may get a year in with the Gulls. Sure is fun to watch the kids play.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I don't know about you, but I'm fired up about next season!  Our team has been on a roll, and against some top quality teams!  We just beat the Canadians, a playoff team, 8-2 last night.  We almost beat the Blues, a playoff team, on Wednesday. If it wasn't for the Blue improbable comeback win, we could have easily won that game. We beat the Coyotes the night before. Coyotes are the next team up for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.  We beat the Avalanche the game before that. Avalanche are close to a playoff spot also. The point is that I think we have finally found a winning formula, and one we can take into next year.  And something cool to go along with it?  We still have the 5th worst record in the league, meaning we can still hopefully get a high draft pick if we stay around where we are in the standings.  Definitely excited about this team next year.  So, why are we winning?  I have some theories. 

1) We are more well-rested.  I thought Coach Randy Carlyle was a decent coach. However, one of the big problems I think we had under his watch was players not getting enough rest. A lot of teams make morning skates optional on game day, for instance.  They weren't optional under coach Carlyle. They are now.  The Ducks just seem more well rested, which translates to them being more fresh for game day. No wonder why other teams always seemed more energized when the Ducks played them when Coach RC was coach.  The other teams were more well rested.  Had more recovery time. Maybe the Ducks would have played better under Coach Carlyle if he didn't skate them so much. 

2) Our defense plays zone now, instead of man coverage.  And I think this is easier for the defense.  

3) Manson has been reunited with Lindholm as a pairing. 

4) Fowler has played well with Larsson, most recently, and with Guhle before that.  

5) The pairing of 6'6" Megna and 6'3" Holzer gives us nice size for our third defensive pairing. 

6) Gibson and Miller are both finally healthy in net. 

7) We have infused some youth into our forward lineups.  And the lines have really been clicking! 

First line: 6'3" Jones is 21 years old.  Sprong is also only 21 years old, and super skilled. Has mad potential as a first line next year, if they can keep the chemistry going. 

Second line: Ritchie is only 23 years old, and Silfverberg is also still in his 20's, at 28. Plus, their center, Shore, is only 24 years old. (Nice move, btw, switching him from wing to center. Gives us three great centers now, like we had with Kesler in the lineup--not to mention a fourth great potentially really good center in Grant or Rowney.) 

Third line: All three players are in their twenties. Rakell is 25 years old.  Henrique recently turned 29 years old.  And Terry is only 21 years old. 

Fourth line: Perry gets to play with two players in their twenties: Carter Rowney, at 29, and Derek Grant, at 28 years old.  So, if we stick with the lineup we has night, the only forwards not in their twenties would be Getzlaf and Perry.  This is not to say that being in ones thirties is old.  But definitely nice being one of the youngest teams now in the NHL, with a lot of potential for future success. 

8) This does not even mention that our very talented defense, with the exception of Holzer (Who may or may not be here next season) is all in their twenties as well.  Cam Fowler: 27. Larsson and Guhle are both 21.  Lindholm is 25.  Manson is 27.  Megna is 26.  And even Welinski is only 25.  So, in last nights game, only one defenseman was not in his twenties, and only 2 of our forwards were not in their twenties. Just like that, we are now one of the most talented young teams in the NHL. 

9) We have more skill and speed now throughout our lineup. Our first line, with Jones and Sprong, add some much needed skill and speed to the Getzlaf line.  And our second line is oozing with talent and speed also, with Shore, Ritchie, and Silfverberg.  Even our third line is super fast and talented, with Rakell, Henrique, and Terry.  And our fourth line is very talented as well, with Grant, Rowney, and Perry.  Just like that, our team is now ready to compete with any team in the "New NHL."   And we will be for years to come. 

10) We are rolling all four lines.  Each of the players from our supposed 4th line last night had at least 12 minutes and 27 seconds of ice time last night. And with the exception of Sprong, nobody had less.  We are rolling 4 lines, making it tough for opposing teams.  If any of our 4 lines can score at any time, makes it really tough on the opposing defense.  Maybe why we scored 8 goals last night against the Weber and Price led Montreal Canadians! 

Okay, this is starting to become a novel.  LOL.  JK.  I'll just leave it at this.  The New and Improved Ducks are here to stay!  We have great goalies!  We have one of the best young and talented defenses in the league!  And we now have one of the most exciting and talented young offenses in the league!  Our team can literally beat any team in the "New NHL," and I look forward to seeing how we do next season.  And we may even get a high draft pick this year.  Getting a player like Kaapo Kakko would be nice.  But even if we don't, we still have a great offense.  Besides, even if we got Kakko and he is ready for the NHL, who right now on our top 3 lines would we take out of the lineup to create a spot for him? 

Should be a great end to the year.  And I look forward to seeing what we do next season. Let's Go Ducks!

Looks to me our Ducks have found the Spark...and it showed last night with 8-2 Dominance of Montreal. Can't wait for the Ducks to be UNLEASHED with RAGE next season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

I'm ready to ride the sweater vests all the way back to the top

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

I'm sorry but you're waaaaay too positive if either of these dudes can make it onto this kind of post. Let's not forget the last minutes of that Blues game or all the other disasters they were responsible for just cause the team won by 6 last night. 

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Looks to me our Ducks have found the Spark...and it showed last night with 8-2 Dominance of Montreal. Can't wait for the Ducks to be UNLEASHED with RAGE next season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The team is going to go on a tear, and finish three points short of playoff berth and get the fourteenth pick in the draft. (sarcasm intended Moose :lol:).  The Ducks will draft a power forward clone of Nick Ritchie and later wish they would have foregone both their draft selection and those meaningless standing points in March.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

Need to add Kase to the mix as well. 

note: Jasoaks mentioned Kase above. Oops. Think Lunderstrom may get a year in with the Gulls. Sure is fun to watch the kids play.

Kase is good young player but looking to be a bit too fragile.  He needs to change his game to avoid injuries.  Reminds me a bit of how Taylor Hall was skating fearless during his first couple of years in the league.  If he doesn't adapt, I don't see him as a long term solution.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I just think we're missing a good RHD (Seth Jones cough cough). 

I would not be Surprise IF our Ducks Draft a RHD in this year's Draft.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Were my eyes seeing the computer screen right when I was watching our last hockey game? I don't know about you, but there were times Corey Perry looked like an all-star again out there. When he was skating on the line with Terry and Henrique, at times they looked dominant. And Corey Perry looked like he was as good as ever.  Did anybody else catch that? I don't know if this chemistry was a one-game thing, or if that line has the potential to be dominant the rest of the year--and next year as well.  But maybe Corey Perry finally has found the right combination of line mates again to be a little more productive than he was in the past few years.  Honestly, there were some shifts Perry just seemed to be flying on the ice.  Did anybody else notice that? Or was it just me? 

Edited by duck123

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

Were my eyes seeing the computer screen right when I was watching our last hockey game? I don't know about you, but there were times Corey Perry looked like an all-star again out there. When he was skating on the line with Terry and Henrique, at times they looked dominant. And Corey Perry looked like he was as good as ever.  Did anybody else catch that? I don't know if this chemistry was a one-game thing, or if that line has the potential to be dominant the rest of the year--and next year as well.  But maybe Corey Perry finally has found the right combination of line mates again to be a little more productive than he was in the past few years.  Honestly, there were some shifts Perry just seemed to be flying on the ice.  Did anybody else notice that? Or was it just me? 

I’ve noticed after like 5 games under his belt he has looked better than the last couple years for sure 

• Like 2

Perry’s knee was jello before.  He’s a smart guy and a gamer.  Look for a bounce back season next year.  Kesler on the other hand?  Probably done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

Why were the boards down for several days??? Russians ???

The Russians were surprised just about as much as you. North Koreans??? Huawei??

58 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

I posted this in the last GDT but. On Facebook one of the admins said the NHL had shutdown all message boards on all team sites with no warning and they were in conversations to revive it. I'm sure we will get a post from one of the admins at some point explaining what happened and what will happen moving forward.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I saw an admin warning about copyright issues on another board.  Could be connected.  

Must be Nashville and all this Music copyright stuff. Or the British finally got to the pesky Golden Knights.

1 hour ago, bufbarnaby said:

Good Question......I wonder too.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nieder said:

I posted this in the last GDT but. On Facebook one of the admins said the NHL had shutdown all message boards on all team sites with no warning and they were in conversations to revive it. I'm sure we will get a post from one of the admins at some point explaining what happened and what will happen moving forward.

They are working. Think it was because they are revamped and have a new look to them. Works...cool.

5 hours ago, Aksun said:

The Russians were surprised just about as much as you. North Koreans??? Huawei??

LOL Good one. 👨‍🚀

Edited by bufbarnaby

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Good Question......I wonder too.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I thought maybe RC had them shut down after he was fired.🤤

Hey we have way more emoticons to use now. 🏃‍♂️

Emojis I guess is correct term.

Edited by bufbarnaby
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nieder said:

😲

3 hours ago, bufbarnaby said:

Hey we have way more emoticons to use now. 🏃‍♂️

Emojis I guess is correct term.

🦆's 🏒

• Haha 2