The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Should Bob Murray coach next year?

Much like a lot of Ducks fans, I am really enjoying us winning a ton of games since Bob Murray has taken over as coach! And not only that, but we seem like a very different team. We look much faster, and our style of play just seems more up-tempo. Why in the world would we want a different coach right now than Bob Murray? The team is winning games with him as coach.  He finally is implementing the style of play that he wants, and we are winning games!  If something is not broke, why fix it?  I don't know about anybody else, but I would have no problem with Bob Murray being both our GM and our coach next season.  Why not?!  We are winning!  And not only are we winning, but it almost seems like winning has become easy for us.  Before Bob took over, it seemed like getting wins was grind.  Not only does winning not seem like a grind anymore, but it seems like we are winning by having fun.  And who doesn't like having fun?  I say we keep the fun times going and keep Bob Murray as our coach for at least another season.  I know the chances of that happening are not that good.  But if it were up to me, I'd try it for at least a year and see what happens.  Will it happen?  You never know.  We shall see.  GO DUCKS!

I believe most of the coaching duties are put on the assistants. If anyone is making a case for a HC position next year, it's one of those guys. But there are still plenty of errors that are made. Our defense looks better but still needs a lot of work. The forwards let the other team skate into the zone without any effort. Sometimes you see glimpses of the team that can beat any team in the league but not for long. 

So far, without Bob actually coming out in favor of the assistants it's only speculation. But you have to wonder though,  Eakins and which ever one of the assistants has the most impact on the team have to be the leading candidates for next year. 

• Like 2

I think we see the effects more of firing RC than of 'hiring' BM as coach. I think playing for Carlyle sucked the fun out of the game. I wouldn't be surprised the team is just having fun which makes them play better.

• Like 2

Of course No. Bob is GM and should do GM things. Getting under the skin of your $8M divas is someone else's job.

7 hours ago, DuckRogers13 said:

Don't be stupid.

I don't think suggesting we possibly consider keeping a coach who is helping our team win is a stupid suggestion. I know we are very unlikely to go forward with Bob as coach past this season. And we might very well be better off going with a coach who has more coaching experience. But, with that said, we are winning. And the players seem to like how Bob has been coaching. 

"Bob has been doing a really good job behind the bench, being very positive with us, and we're showing a lot of confidence right now and we're playing kind of simple." -- Ducks forward Max Jones on coach Bob Murray (After last night's game against the Panthers)

Edited by duck123

28 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I don't think suggesting we possibly consider keeping a coach who is helping our team win is a stupid suggestion. I know we are very unlikely to go forward with Bob as coach past this season. And we might very well be better off going with a coach who has more coaching experience. But, with that said, we are winning. And the players seem to like how Bob has been coaching. 

"Bob has been doing a really good job behind the bench, being very positive with us, and we're showing a lot of confidence right now and we're playing kind of simple." -- Ducks forward Max Jones on coach Bob Murray (After last night's game against the Panthers)

Then leave him as HC and hire a new GM.

Edit: Promote Nonis :ph34r:

Edited by Aksun

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

Show me any player who will say otherwise when the coach is ALSO the guy who pays you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aksun said:

Then leave him as HC and hire a new GM.

Edit: Promote Nonis :ph34r:

Lol, rather keep him as GM and hire new coach-if had to choose. 

55 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Show me any player who will say otherwise when the coach is ALSO the guy who pays you. 

Ha, well that is a good point. Good thing about that too is maybe they are skating to their full potential because they know their coach is also paying them. I'm guessing though Ducks will hire a new coach shortly after the season ends. 

The team is playing better because Carlyle sucked the life out of hockey, and once the guys on the roster had that weight off their shoulders, you or I could have gone back there to coach and they would have played better.  That doesn't mean you or I should be the next full-time head coach of the Ducks.  

With as energized as the team has been under Murray, they're still 9-9.  And even in games like last night where they won, they were outplayed for long stretches against a mediocre opponent.  That's happened a lot less, but it's not like this team has gone on an epic run, dominating every team they've faced.  The Ducks need a real hockey coach next season.  Bob Murray is not it.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

The team is playing better because Carlyle sucked the life out of hockey, and once the guys on the roster had that weight off their shoulders, you or I could have gone back there to coach and they would have played better.  That doesn't mean you or I should be the next full-time head coach of the Ducks.  

With as energized as the team has been under Murray, they're still 9-9.  And even in games like last night where they won, they were outplayed for long stretches against a mediocre opponent.  That's happened a lot less, but it's not like this team has gone on an epic run, dominating every team they've faced.  The Ducks need a real hockey coach next season.  Bob Murray is not it.

Agreed.

I think it’s interesting to note though that the Ducks lost all five games Getzlaf recently missed, and that this team under Bob Murray and with a healthy Getzlaf is 9-4, and could/should be at least 10-3-1 or 11-2 but for the late collapses against Chicago and St Louis. So this is still a very good team when Getzlaf is healthy and engaged (which is also why tanking for a top-3 pick was always a pipe dream as long as Baldy was in the lineup). Getzlaf is still the straw that stirs the drink and the next coach needs to be able to reach him first and foremost.

Maybe GMBM should let Getzlaf pick the next coach...

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed.

I think it’s interesting to note though that the Ducks lost all five games Getzlaf recently missed, and that this team under Bob Murray and with a healthy Getzlaf is 9-4, and could/should be at least 10-3-1 or 11-2 but for the late collapses against Chicago and St Louis. So this is still a very good team when Getzlaf is healthy and engaged (which is also why tanking for a top-3 pick was always a pipe dream as long as Baldy was in the lineup). Getzlaf is still the straw that stirs the drink and the next coach needs to be able to reach him first and foremost.

Maybe GMBM should let Getzlaf pick the next coach...

Isn't that what happened in the summer of 2016??? I've always believed these coaches live/die at the hands of Getzlaf.

21 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Isn't that what happened in the summer of 2016??? I've always believed these coaches live/die at the hands of Getzlaf.

I really doubt it.  Getzlaf might have given it the thumbs up, and he said all the right things, but I doubt he picked Carlyle.  Who knows, though?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Max isn’t exactly someone with the depth of experience in evaluating a coaching staff at the NHL level.  Murray isn’t coaching anyway - it’s the assistants running the show with his input.   

13 hours ago, duck123 said:

Much like a lot of Ducks fans, I am really enjoying us winning a ton of games since Bob Murray has taken over as coach!

We are 9-9 under Murray.  0.500 Hockey.  While it is an improvement over the losing streak, it is not "winning a ton of games."

I disagree with your premise, so am going to register a "no" for my answer.

5 hours ago, duck123 said:

Ha, well that is a good point. Good thing about that too is maybe they are skating to their full potential because they know their coach is also paying them. I'm guessing though Ducks will hire a new coach shortly after the season ends. 

Only problem is that if you have a problem with the coach you're likely to be on your way out of town and I don't think that's a good way to draw free agents into town. They'll run when they hear Bob calling. Plus I don't like the idea of young talented kids getting into heated arguments with the guy who can trade them to spite them. Not a good combo. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fowl said:

Max isn’t exactly someone with the depth of experience in evaluating a coaching staff at the NHL level.  Murray isn’t coaching anyway - it’s the assistants running the show with his input.   

BM mentioned that he isn't YELLING at the players. I think, for the young guys, that has made a difference. I'm not saying they should be coddled, but I do think that RC may have been taking out his frustrations on the players when he was part of the problem.

• Like 3

I agree that the assistants are likely doing most of the coaching. But maybe that can be a new strategy in the NHL? Have the GM be the coach in name--and be on the bench observing the team--and making sure the team is playing the style of hockey he wants. And the assistants can run the show. That would keep players working 100 percent each game, knowing their GM is there.  Ha. Ha. I know this likely won't happen and that we will likely hire a new head coach after the season is over.  But assistant coaches typically choose a lot of the pairings anyways, don't they?  And who goes out on the ice when. I guess this could work long-term. But I doubt the Ducks will continue this after the season. I do think one of the assistants should definitely be looked as a potential head coach candidate.  We shall see who the Ducks hire as their next head coach summer.  GO DUCKS!

Edited by duck123