The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
PetrSykora

Playoff Predictions

The matchups have been set and it all starts Wednesday night. As much as it sucks to miss the playoffs, at least our blood pressure will get a break from the annual springtime spike. I'm tempted to say how it will be nice to appreciate playoff hockey for what it is without the stress but honestly, nah. I'd much rather be ripping my hair out watching the Ducks. Either way, who do you all have moving forward this year? 

(I'm going about this 100% emotionally with maybe only 5% of that being rational so bear with me):

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Avalanche in 5 
San Jose vs. Vegas: Golden Knights in 5
Nashville vs. Dallas: Stars in 7 (I already deeply regret rooting for this unholy series to be a thing)
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Jets in 5

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Blue Jack... sorry as much as I might want to, I can't say that with a straight face. They were outscored 17-3 this year. Lightning in 4.
Boston vs. Toronto: Maple Leafs in 7
Washington vs. Carolina: Hurricanes in 6
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Islanders in 7

Gimme an Islanders-Avalanche Stanley Cup Final cause why the hell not? 

• Like 1

Yeah it's disappointing not being in the playoffs but we've also been a little spoiled as we were tied with the pens for most consecutive playoffs streak. 

Calgary vs. Colorado: Avs in 7
San Jose vs. Vegas: knights in 6
Nashville vs. Dallas: Cogliano in 7 😁
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Jets in 7

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Tampa in 5
Boston vs. Toronto: Leafs in 6
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 6
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Islanders in 6

Final: 

Jets- Tampa

Tampa wins

Before I give my predictions I will explain that most years I look at all the teams in the playoffs and decide which teams I would root for if the Ducks are eliminated. Typically I pick two teams in each conference to root for. In the East it would be Tampa and Washington.  I know it seems like bandwagon picks but my folks live in Sarasota(Tampa) and my Aunt and Uncle live in Alexandria  and are huge Caps fans. I'm a fan of Ovechkin as well.

In the West, I will be rooting for St. Louis and Colorado. But here are my predictions for the first round.

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Calgary in 6. 
San Jose vs. Vegas: Golden Knights in 6
Nashville vs. Dallas: Nashville in 7
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: St. Louis in 7.

East
Washington vs. Carolina: Washington in 6

Boston vs. Toronto: Boston in 6.

So my Second round matchups predictions are as  follows\

West:

Calgary Vs. Vegas: Vegas in 6.

Nashville Vs. St Louis: St Louis in 7.

East :

Tampa vs. Boston: Tampa in 7.

Washington vs. New York: Washington in 6

Conference Finals:

St. Louis vs. Vegas: St Louis in 7

Tampa Vs. Washington: Tampa in 6

Stanley Cup Finals

Tampa vs. St Louis: Tampa in 5. 

Bold predictions I know. But that is how I see it before the playoffs actually start.

I reserve to revise my predictions as  the rounds progress

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Calgary in 7. 
San Jose vs. Vegas: San Jose in 6.
Nashville vs. Dallas: Nashville in 5.
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Winnipeg in 7.

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Tampa in 4.
Washington vs. Carolina: Washington in 7.
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh in 5.

Second Round:

Calgary Vs. San Jose: San Jose in 6.

Nashville Vs. Winnipeg: Winnipeg in 7.

Tampa vs. Boston: Boston in 6.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh: Washington in 7.

Conference Finals:

San Jose vs Winnpeg: San Jose in 7.

Boston vs Washington: Boston in 5.

Stanley Cup Finals

San Jose vs Boston: Boston in 6.

Okay, I'll play.  Going with half heart and half head, which means I'll be wrong all the way around.

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Avalanche in 6 ( Calgary's goaltending is garbage)
San Jose vs. Vegas: Golden Knights in 6 (Screw the Sharks)
Nashville vs. Dallas: Meteor in 5.
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Blues in 7 (This is a matchup of cursed franchises and I just don't like the way the Jets have played down the stretch.)

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Tampa in 5 (I think Columbus wins the first game just to freak everyone out before Tampa remembers that they're the best team since the 80's Oilers and wins every other game by 4 goals.)
Boston vs. Toronto: Ugh.  Boston in 6 (I really want the Maple Leafs to win this series, but they have serious issues in Boston.  And in Toronto.  And in their own heads.)
Washington vs. In my mind, I'm going to Carolina: Hurricanes in 6 (I like the upset pick here over a team that might STILL be hungover from the Cup win last year.)
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Penguins in 6 (The Isles just can't catch a break.  One of the Penguins stars and one of their scrubs will have a great series.)

Semis

West
Colorado vs Vegas: Vegas in 7 (This would be a really fun matchup.  Which means there's no chance it happens.)
Nashville vs St. Louis: Blues in 6 (I don't really believe this, but I can't bring myself to pick Nashville.)

East:
Tampa Bay vs Boston: Tampa in 7 (I think Boston gives them all they can handle, but Tampa prevails.)
Sweet Caroline vs Pittsburgh: Penguins in 5 (The Canes run out of gas)

Conference Finals:
Vegas vs St. Louis: Blues in 7 (Fleury keeps the Knights in it, but the Blues continue their months-long hot streak.)
Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh: Tampa in 6 (The Lightning out-Penguin the Penguins.)

Stanley Cup Finals:
Tampa Bay vs St. Louis: Lightning in 2 (Yeah, I know, a series has to last at least four games.  But I think the Lightning are going to dominate whomever they face from the West.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eastern Conference

Round 1

Tampa Bay Lightning vs Columbus Blue Jackets - Tampa in 5 (The earlier Torts is out, the better)

Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Leafs in 7 (Same goes for dirty, dirty Boston)

Washington Capitals vs Carolina Hurricanes - Carolina in 7 (I can see the Caps falling early. Don't see them repeating it)

New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins - Islanders in 6 (Pens aren't the same team as their back to back winners. Isles are playing well under Trotz)

Round 2

Tampa Bay Lightning v Toronto Maple Leafs - Toronto in 6 (Bolts won't win the Cup. They'll run out of steam)

Carolina Hurricanes v New York Islanders - Islanders in 5 (Think the Isles will take this one)

Eastern Conference Final

Toronto Maple Leafs v New York Islanders - Toronto in 7 (HNIC will have a field day with Tavares taking on the Isles)

Western Conference

Round 1

Nashville Predators vs Dallas Stars - Dallas in 5 (Completely refuse to entertain any notion of the Preds doing well. Hoping they'll be swept)

Winnipeg Jets vs St. Louis Blues - St Louis in 6 (Boring teams, don't really care about either. Binnington will be the Blues saviour)

Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 5 (The Lames will be out whilst they're still celebrating winning the Pacific. Bless them)

San Jose Sharks vs Vegas Golden Knights - San Jose in 6 (San Jose to go through here because VGK annoy me more)

Round 2

Dallas Stars v St Louis Blues - St Louis in 7 (Big game but I think the Blues will take it. Dallas are good but too inconsistent)

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks - Colorado in 6 (Regardless of having Burns and Eriksson in defence, it's still not enough for them to make stupid mistakes and mess it up)

Western Conference Final

St Louis Blues v Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 6 (Can see their top line wrecking shop against St Louis)

Stanley Cup Final

Toronto Maple Leafs v Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 6 (Tough, yet random, match up. But if it came to this, I'll say the Avs will win it. Mostly because the Leafs losing will be hilarious.

Stanley Cup Winner: Colorado Avalanche

Stanley Cup Runner-Up: Toronto Maple Leafs

Conn Smythe Winner: Nate McKinnon

3 hours ago, JuiceTerry88 said:

Eastern Conference

Round 1

Tampa Bay Lightning vs Columbus Blue Jackets - Tampa in 5 (The earlier Torts is out, the better)

Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Leafs in 7 (Same goes for dirty, dirty Boston)

Washington Capitals vs Carolina Hurricanes - Carolina in 7 (I can see the Caps falling early. Don't see them repeating it)

New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins - Islanders in 6 (Pens aren't the same team as their back to back winners. Isles are playing well under Trotz)

Round 2

Tampa Bay Lightning v Toronto Maple Leafs - Toronto in 6 (Bolts won't win the Cup. They'll run out of steam)

Carolina Hurricanes v New York Islanders - Islanders in 5 (Think the Isles will take this one)

Eastern Conference Final

Toronto Maple Leafs v New York Islanders - Toronto in 7 (HNIC will have a field day with Tavares taking on the Isles)

Western Conference

Round 1

Nashville Predators vs Dallas Stars - Dallas in 5 (Completely refuse to entertain any notion of the Preds doing well. Hoping they'll be swept)

Winnipeg Jets vs St. Louis Blues - St Louis in 6 (Boring teams, don't really care about either. Binnington will be the Blues saviour)

Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 5 (The Lames will be out whilst they're still celebrating winning the Pacific. Bless them)

San Jose Sharks vs Vegas Golden Knights - San Jose in 6 (San Jose to go through here because VGK annoy me more)

Round 2

Dallas Stars v St Louis Blues - St Louis in 7 (Big game but I think the Blues will take it. Dallas are good but too inconsistent)

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks - Colorado in 6 (Regardless of having Burns and Eriksson in defence, it's still not enough for them to make stupid mistakes and mess it up)

Western Conference Final

St Louis Blues v Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 6 (Can see their top line wrecking shop against St Louis)

Stanley Cup Final

Toronto Maple Leafs v Colorado Avalanche - Colorado in 6 (Tough, yet random, match up. But if it came to this, I'll say the Avs will win it. Mostly because the Leafs losing will be hilarious.

Stanley Cup Winner: Colorado Avalanche

Stanley Cup Runner-Up: Toronto Maple Leafs

Conn Smythe Winner: Nate McKinnon

Toronto and Isles would be a very entertaining series, even if no hockey was even played lol 

Colorado wins the cup and Hughes?!:ph34r:

34 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Toronto and Isles would be a very entertaining series, even if no hockey was even played lol 

Colorado wins the cup and Hughes?!:ph34r:

That is my dream/nightmare

OK! So, I'm going full crazy here...so bear with me...

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
San Jose vs. Vegas: Sharks in 6
Nashville vs. Dallas: Preds in 6 (although I want Cogliano to win so badly!)

Colorado vs. San Jose: Sharks in 6

Nashville vs. Winnipeg: Jets in 5

San Jose vs. Winnipeg: Jets in 7

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Blue Jackets in 6 (I may be the only one in the hockey world predicting this publicly...but...I dunno...I could see it)
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 5

Columbus vs. Toronto: Maple Leafs in 5

Washington vs. New York: Isles in 7

Toronto vs. New York: Isles in 6

Winnipeg vs. New York: Jets in 6

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: the Avs in 6. 
San Jose vs. Vegas: Knights in 4-5.
Nashville vs. Dallas: Trash in 5.
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Blues in 6.

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Lightning in 5.
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 7.
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Rangers in 5.
Boston vs. Toronto: Leafs! in 6.

Second Round:
Colorado Vs. Vegas: Avs in 6.
Nashville Vs. St. Louis: Blues in 7.
Tampa vs. Toronto: Leafs! in 7.
Washington vs. New York: Rangers in 7.

Conference Finals:
Colorado vs St. Louis: Blues in 6.
Toronto vs New York: Leafs! in 5.

Stanley Cup Finals:
Blues vs Leafs!: Leafs! in 7.

Note - the obvious weaknesses are Leafs over Lightning, Rangers over Caps.  I think Trashville won't go far this season, but they can't help but beat the Stars.

Anyway, with that in mind, the above could replace Leafs with Lightning after 2nd round, with the Lightning winning out, and taking Caps out in the Conference Finals.

There's also a good chance that the Avs will beat the Blues, but I think the Avs will be injured when they play the flames and will just lose by attrition by the CFs.  In fact, Vegas might very well take them in the second round.

The Sharks are going to choke in the first round, like they always do.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado

East
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Rangers in 5.

Second Round:
Washington vs. New York: Rangers in 7.

Conference Finals:
Colorado vs St. Louis: Blues in 6.

Stanley Cup Finals:

Note - the obvious weaknesses are Leafs over Lightning, Rangers over Caps.  I think Trashville won't go far this season, but they can't help but beat the Stars.

Anyway, with that in mind, the above could replace Leafs with Lightning after 2nd round, with the Lightning winning out, and taking Caps out in the Conference Finals.

There's also a good chance that the Avs will beat the Blues, but I think the Avs will be injured when they play the flames and will just lose by attrition by the CFs.  In fact, Vegas might very well take them in the second round.

Sweet, so the rangers made the playoffs and the ducks got a better pick! .... hey wait a minute....

• Sad 1

Against all reason and sanity, Nashville and Dallas is a thing. No hockey fan wins that calamity.

While I'm not a fan of exploding rockets, I'd give SpaceX a pass if their south Texas test rocket accidentally went AWOL and hit the AAC. Space is hard. Nashville vs Dallas is harder.

Edited by poum
  • Haha 2

Tampa Bay would probably be the most fun to watch to win it all. Though I do hope NYI make it to the SCF more than anyone. The ensuing riots in Toronto would make Vancouver look like a dress rehearsal.

Edited by poum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't do predictions because I suck but I gotta say I'm quite excited for these Playoffs, eventhough our Ducks aren't in it.

I think BOS vs TOR, NYI vs PIT, CAL vs COL and CAR vs WSH are great match-ups.
I'll be glad as long as the preds don't win it but the thought of the avs beating the flames makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
The thought of the isles going further than the leafs is hilarious.
I'm curious to see whether the knights can follow up their surprise run from last year.
And while I like the bolts and would love for them to win it, it would be quite amazing if the jackets with their crazy deadline deals beat them. Their fans must be getting antsy because coming up empty handed this season will blow. It's not that they can look forward to the draft afterwards :ph34r:

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Avalanche in 7 
San Jose vs. Vegas: Sharks in 5
Nashville vs. Dallas: Trash in 6 
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Jets in 7

East
Boston vs. Toronto: Bruins in 7
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 6
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Penguins in 5

On 4/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, g20topdogg said:

Sweet, so the rangers made the playoffs and the ducks got a better pick! .... hey wait a minute....

god dammit.

Redo, because I suck.

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado

East
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Islanders in 5.

Second Round:
Washington vs. New York:
Islanders in 7.

Conference Finals:
Colorado vs St. Louis: Blues in 6.

Stanley Cup Finals:

Note - the obvious weaknesses are Leafs over Lightning, Islanders over Caps.  I think Trashville won't go far this season, but they can't help but beat the Stars.

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado: Flames in 6
San Jose vs. Vegas: Sharks  in 7
Nashville vs. Dallas: Preds in 6

East: 
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Lightning in 4.
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 6

Wow, I'm 100% all in on the Islanders. Whoever let them go back to their old rickety old Long Island barn for the playoffs is a genius. This is honestly the loudest hockey game I've ever watched and it literally just started. I got a soft spot for both Toronto (hometown team) and Pittsburgh (anyone who stops the Red Wings and Predaturds from winning titles is all good in my book) but both teams are taking a back seat for me this year. 

• Like 2

Eh,Eh, I'm a wee bit late to the party, even failed to submit my bracket on NHL.com by 4 hours past the GM1 start. Oh well, no Ducks' in the playoffs so I couldn't care less, just don't let the dirty Preds win the Cup and it's all good!

West:

Calgary v Colorado in 7; Dallas v Preturds in 6; St.Louis v Winnipeg in 5; Vegas v Sharks in 6 >>> Blues v Dallas in 6; Vegas v Calgary in 5 >>> Vegas v Blues in 7

East:

Tampa v Columbus in 7; Washington v Carolina in 6; Pittsburgh v Islanders in 7; Boston v Toronto in 6 >>> Tampa v Boston in 7; Washington v Pittsburgh in 7 >>> Washington v Tampa in 5

What ensues is a silly rematch where Caps take it back-to-back against the same Knights. In say, six games again.

16 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Wow, I'm 100% all in on the Islanders. Whoever let them go back to their old rickety old Long Island barn for the playoffs is a genius. This is honestly the loudest hockey game I've ever watched and it literally just started. I got a soft spot for both Toronto (hometown team) and Pittsburgh (anyone who stops the Red Wings and Predaturds from winning titles is all good in my book) but both teams are taking a back seat for me this year. 

Welcome to Team Islanders! You're club card is in the mail! Despite that little caveat about the Leafs.

18 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Yeah that crowd was insane right from the start of the game. Awesome playoff atmosphere.

dude.  my bracket is hosed.

actually, scratch that.  just one game so far.

Edited by Fisix

On 4/7/2019 at 10:19 PM, Shadowduck said:

Before I give my predictions I will explain that most years I look at all the teams in the playoffs and decide which teams I would root for if the Ducks are eliminated. Typically I pick two teams in each conference to root for. In the East it would be Tampa and Washington.  I know it seems like bandwagon picks but my folks live in Sarasota(Tampa) and my Aunt and Uncle live in Alexandria  and are huge Caps fans. I'm a fan of Ovechkin as well.

In the West, I will be rooting for St. Louis and Colorado. But here are my predictions for the first round.

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Calgary in 6. 
San Jose vs. Vegas: Golden Knights in 6
Nashville vs. Dallas: Nashville in 7
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: St. Louis in 7.

East
Washington vs. Carolina: Washington in 6

Well, my first round predictions were terrible. I went  3-5 on series results.So I am revising my predictions for the second round. Let's see if I do any better.

Second Round Predictions:

West:

San Jose vs. Colorado:  Colorado in 6.

St Louis vs, Dallas: St Louis in 7

East :

Boston Vs. Columbus: Columbus in 6

New York vs. Carolina: Carolina in 7.

Let's see how badly I mess up this round. LOL

Edited by Shadowduck

On 4/7/2019 at 11:45 PM, nieder said:

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
: Calgary in 7. 
San Jose vs. Vegas: San Jose in 6.
Nashville vs. Dallas: Nashville in 5.
Winnipeg vs. St. Louis: Winnipeg in 7.

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Tampa in 4.
Washington vs. Carolina: Washington in 7.
New York vs. Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh in 5.

Second Round:

Calgary Vs. San Jose: San Jose in 6.

Nashville Vs. Winnipeg: Winnipeg in 7.

Tampa vs. Boston: Boston in 6.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh: Washington in 7.

Conference Finals:

San Jose vs Winnpeg: San Jose in 7.

Boston vs Washington: Boston in 5.

Stanley Cup Finals

San Jose vs Boston: Boston in 6.

So i picked 2 out of 8 first round winners, but luckily they are also the 2 teams I picked to make the Finals. Lol.

• Like 1

I'm real proud I called Colorado over Calgary in 5. The rest of my bracket is a mess but at least I got some of the teams right I guess.

West:

San Jose vs. Colorado: Avalanche in 6

St. Louis vs. Dallas: Blues in 5 (zzzz)

East:

New York vs. Carolina: Islanders in 5

Boston vs. Columbus: uhh Bruins in 7?

Seriously, what a strange collection of teams. It's more evenly matched than the first round but all the "weaker" teams made it through anyway. Islanders vs. Hurricanes is going to be the most fun followed by Sharks vs. Avalanche. Columbus is cool but that series is going to be a snoozefest on the ice unless Marchand starts licking people again. Same goes for the central matchup. Still the best possible outcome there so I'm not complaining at all.

Edited by PetrSykora

On 4/8/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jasoaks said:

OK! So, I'm going full crazy here...so bear with me...

West:
Calgary vs. Colorado
San Jose vs. Vegas: Sharks in 6
Nashville vs. Dallas: Preds in 6 (although I want Cogliano to win so badly!)

Colorado vs. San Jose: Sharks in 6

Nashville vs. Winnipeg: Jets in 5

San Jose vs. Winnipeg: Jets in 7

East
Tampa Bay vs. Columbus: Blue Jackets in 6 (I may be the only one in the hockey world predicting this publicly...but...I dunno...I could see it)
Washington vs. Carolina: Caps in 5

Columbus vs. Toronto: Maple Leafs in 5

Washington vs. New York: Isles in 7

Toronto vs. New York: Isles in 6

Winnipeg vs. New York: Jets in 6

Welp...I went 4 for 8...and my Stanley Cup winner is out...so let me re-predict based off what is left....

Colorado vs. San Jose: Colorado in 6

St. Louis vs. Dallas: Dallas in 7

Columbus vs. Boston: Boston in 4

New York vs. Carolina: New York in 6

Colorado vs. Dallas: Dallas in 5

New York vs. Boston: Boston in 6

Dallas vs. Boston: Cogliano in 7!!!

Second Round Predictions:

West:

San Jose vs. Colorado:  Sharks in 5.

St Louis vs. Dallas: Blues in 5

East :