Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dukitup

Exit Interviews

Recommended Posts

Listened to BM, and found his comment about playing "hurt" really interesting. Thoughts on who he's referring to? 

Also listened to Getzy, and wonder if he might not be replaced as C next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Listened to BM, and found his comment about playing "hurt" really interesting. Thoughts on who he's referring to? 

Also listened to Getzy, and wonder if he might not be replaced as C next year.  

Really interesting...I haven't heard his interview...what makes you think that?

Also, I thought it was interesting to see Bob say he's not going to interview potential coaching candidates till after the playoffs 'cause he doesn't want to interview someone in the middle of a playoff run. I wonder who he's talking about...must be some assistants somewhere in the playoffs he's considering for the head job...interesting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Really interesting...I haven't heard his interview...what makes you think that?

Also, I thought it was interesting to see Bob say he's not going to interview potential coaching candidates till after the playoffs 'cause he doesn't want to interview someone in the middle of a playoff run. I wonder who he's talking about...must be some assistants somewhere in the playoffs he's considering for the head job...interesting...

Or it's noticeable he knows who he is going to be Ducks 9th Head Coach......since the Successor is doing well in San Diego.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Speaking with NHL's Dan Aritt on Sunday.

Kesler says it is difficult to even put socks on in the morning.

Kesler said the only surgery available to him is a hip replacement.

"It would probably be career-ending," Kesler said, who still has three years left on his contract with a $6.875-million cap hit.

Kesler plans to meet with hip specialists over the next few weeks before sitting down with his agent, Ducks general manager Bob Murray, and the doctors to discuss his future in the sport.

"Let's talk to the doctors," Murray said. "Get all the information in front of us, and we'll sit down when we have all the information."

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Listened to BM, and found his comment about playing "hurt" really interesting. Thoughts on who he's referring to? 

Also listened to Getzy, and wonder if he might not be replaced as C next year.  

I found it interesting and confusing. I mean, a lot of players have been hurt on this team. Maybe he should look into why this is happening. To me, he's still stuck in the past and not realizing that players are an investment now. He wants to be the GM for the power but he doesn't seem to want the responsibility of the entire job. His boy Carlyle did a number on this group especially Gibson and to an extent Kesler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I found it interesting and confusing. I mean, a lot of players have been hurt on this team. Maybe he should look into why this is happening. To me, he's still stuck in the past and not realizing that players are an investment now. He wants to be the GM for the power but he doesn't seem to want the responsibility of the entire job. His boy Carlyle did a number on this group especially Gibson and to an extent Kesler. 

BM was specific though. Hr said he wasn't talking about someone "injured." We pointed out that was different. He was talking about players that might be "hurting" and instead of playing through it, preferred to sit out a game (or more I assume). Interesting comment though. 

If I were the training staff, I would be getting my resumes together. I think he made that perfectly clear.,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Really interesting...I haven't heard his interview...what makes you think that?

Also, I thought it was interesting to see Bob say he's not going to interview potential coaching candidates till after the playoffs 'cause he doesn't want to interview someone in the middle of a playoff run. I wonder who he's talking about... must be some assistants somewhere in the playoffs he's considering for the head job...interesting...

Eakins 

Go Gulls!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dukitup said:

BM was specific though. Hr said he wasn't talking about someone "injured." We pointed out that was different. He was talking about players that might be "hurting" and instead of playing through it, preferred to sit out a game (or more I assume). Interesting comment though. 

If I were the training staff, I would be getting my resumes together. I think he made that perfectly clear.,

That's kind of my point though. Some kind of subtle unknown injury might be causing that "hurt" and it sounds to me that BM is saying suck it buttercup because that's how we did it back in the old days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

That's kind of my point though. Some kind of subtle unknown injury might be causing that "hurt" and it sounds to me that BM is saying suck it buttercup because that's how we did it back in the old days. 

If that's true then maybe that's what they did with Perry until his knee didn't completely give out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dukitup said:

BM was specific though. Hr said he wasn't talking about someone "injured." We pointed out that was different. He was talking about players that might be "hurting" and instead of playing through it, preferred to sit out a game (or more I assume). Interesting comment though. 

If I were the training staff, I would be getting my resumes together. I think he made that perfectly clear.,

Um, can you say Nick Ritchie? Seems like he was out every other week nursing some undisclosed upper or lower body injury. Ritchie missed 22 games this season, and only 9 of those were due to the hold-out. Otherwise is was 2 games here, 4 games there, 3 games there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Um, can you say Nick Ritchie? Seems like he was out every other week nursing some undisclosed upper or lower body injury. Ritchie missed 22 games this season, and only 9 of those were due to the hold-out. Otherwise is was 2 games here, 4 games there, 3 games there.

So you’re sayin that Ritchie was Belly aching? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mulcher said:

 

Speaking with NHL's Dan Aritt on Sunday.

Kesler says it is difficult to even put socks on in the morning.

Kesler said the only surgery available to him is a hip replacement.

"It would probably be career-ending," Kesler said, who still has three years left on his contract with a $6.875-million cap hit.

Kesler plans to meet with hip specialists over the next few weeks before sitting down with his agent, Ducks general manager Bob Murray, and the doctors to discuss his future in the sport.

"Let's talk to the doctors," Murray said. "Get all the information in front of us, and we'll sit down when we have all the information."

 

He needs to retire. It would be ridiculous for him to continue his career with this condition. The worse that could happen to him and to the team if he refuses to retire and will continue to milk the Ducks for 3 more years. Playing non-productive 15-20 games per season would not do anything good for organization and for his reputation.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Um, can you say Nick Ritchie? Seems like he was out every other week nursing some undisclosed upper or lower body injury. Ritchie missed 22 games this season, and only 9 of those were due to the hold-out. Otherwise is was 2 games here, 4 games there, 3 games there.

Ritchie was my first thought too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

He needs to retire. It would be ridiculous for him to continue his career with this condition. The worse that could happen to him and to the team if he refuses to retire and will continue to milk the Ducks for 3 more years. Playing non-productive 15-20 games per season would not do anything good for organization and for his reputation.

Kesler isn't going to make this decision based on what is best for the organization. They gave him the contract, that's not his problem. 

It would be the easiest thing for him to just 'retire' (i.e. go on LTIR) and not play another game, but Kesler is one of the most competitive people you'll ever meet, he will try every available option before he's forced into retirement. It's easy for us as fans to say 'just retire' but effectively he's giving up his life long dream and what he's been doing for his entire adult life. That's not an easy call to make.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nieder said:

Ritchie was my first thought too.

I think that Ritchie is as good as gone this summer. He had his best season this year and improved his game quite a bit. Murray just better not Palmieri him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that Ritchie is as good as gone this summer. He had his best season this year and improved his game quite a bit. Murray just better not Palmieri him

I think so too, but he was a 0.5 points per game player this season getting paid $1.5M per season, that's pretty great value. I would keep him for another season but I think Murray is done with him.

That last game where he went crazy in the third period and had 16 minutes in penalties after seemingly reacting to nothing might have sealed his fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nieder said:

Kesler isn't going to make this decision based on what is best for the organization. They gave him the contract, that's not his problem. 

It would be the easiest thing for him to just 'retire' (i.e. go on LTIR) and not play another game, but Kesler is one of the most competitive people you'll ever meet, he will try every available option before he's forced into retirement. It's easy for us as fans to say 'just retire' but effectively he's giving up his life long dream and what he's been doing for his entire adult life. That's not an easy call to make.

I've watched his exit interview a couple of times now and I think this (bolded) is really all we can expect from him. He's obviously not going to leave the game at the end of his contract, but he's going to give it everything he's go to see one more year of his contract through.

What I can't figure out is why the team didn't give him the Beauchemin treatment this past season to try to keep his hip from breaking down. Boom-boom's last season, the team said from day 1 that he wasn't going to play in both games of a B2B, that they would monitor his minutes, and that he would be getting rest breaks throughout the season to keep him healthy. With Kesler, he played pretty much every B2B, RC piled a 62% D-zone start workload on him (usually against the opponents' top lines), and Kes even finished 3rd on the team in PK TOI (behind only 42 & 47) despite playing in only 60 games. What??? Between Gibby and Kesler, its hard not to get really ticked off at RC for the way he overused and abused them, and at GMBM for the way he allowed it to happen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I've watched his exit interview a couple of times now and I think this (bolded) is really all we can expect from him. He's obviously not going to leave the game at the end of his contract, but he's going to give it everything he's go to see one more year of his contract through.

What I can't figure out is why the team didn't give him the Beauchemin treatment this past season to try to keep his hip from breaking down. Boom-boom's last season, the team said from day 1 that he wasn't going to play in both games of a B2B, that they would monitor his minutes, and that he would be getting rest breaks throughout the season to keep him healthy. With Kesler, he played pretty much every B2B, RC piled a 62% D-zone start workload on him (usually against the opponents' top lines), and Kes even finished 3rd on the team in PK TOI (behind only 42 & 47) despite playing in only 60 games. What??? Between Gibby and Kesler, its hard not to get really ticked off at RC for the way he overused and abused them, and at GMBM for the way he allowed it to happen.

I've given up trying to assign logic to the decision making of Randy Carlyle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but one of Eric Stephens' tweets during exit interview day noted that Cam is getting married in August. Congrats to #4!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I've watched his exit interview a couple of times now and I think this (bolded) is really all we can expect from him. He's obviously not going to leave the game at the end of his contract, but he's going to give it everything he's go to see one more year of his contract through.

What I can't figure out is why the team didn't give him the Beauchemin treatment this past season to try to keep his hip from breaking down. Boom-boom's last season, the team said from day 1 that he wasn't going to play in both games of a B2B, that they would monitor his minutes, and that he would be getting rest breaks throughout the season to keep him healthy. With Kesler, he played pretty much every B2B, RC piled a 62% D-zone start workload on him (usually against the opponents' top lines), and Kes even finished 3rd on the team in PK TOI (behind only 42 & 47) despite playing in only 60 games. What??? Between Gibby and Kesler, its hard not to get really ticked off at RC for the way he overused and abused them, and at GMBM for the way he allowed it to happen.

I wish I had posted the article when I read it but BM obviously knew Gibby was being overworked. He made the comment that Gibby was losing weight and at the end of the season hadn't gained it back. RC should have never overworked him and BM should have never allowed it to happen. The number of shots per game he was taking was unacceptable and nothing was being done to fix the problem. How many times did a defenseman say they felt like they were constantly chasing the play/player? Poor coaching and BM waiting until it was too late and players were injured to make a change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but one of Eric Stephens' tweets during exit interview day noted that Cam is getting married in August. Congrats to #4!

Congrats to Cam. He turned down playing for USA to heal some bumps and bruises and wedding day. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to look at the stats to see if I can figure out who BM was talking about when mentioning playing "hurt". I'm also not sure he was specifically mentioning games or games/practice. I remember Lindholm being out for a short period of time but was shocked that he was 2nd for most games played (76); Henrique playing the most at 82. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/08/ducks-season-review-gm-bob-murray-says-accepting-losing-became-issue-with-team/

Murray was disturbed by the number of injuries and illnesses the Ducks suffered during the season. They led the NHL with 484 man-games lost, according to a website that tracks the number of games players sit out because of injuries and illnesses. The Dallas Stars were second with 410.

Back to the original question. Wasn't Ritchie out due to spasms from a sinus infection? I would say that isn't an injury but "hurt". He played more game than Cam and Cam had a serious facial injury that required major surgery.

Getz played 67 games. That's quite a few missed games. Hopefully he'll figure out what is causing his ailment since it isn't injury related.

Bottom line, looking at the team overall, the man games lost hurt the team. Who was injured and who was hurt remains a mystery. I do believe BM was frustrated with Getz so we'll see what happens in September.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I've watched his exit interview a couple of times now and I think this (bolded) is really all we can expect from him. He's obviously not going to leave the game at the end of his contract, but he's going to give it everything he's go to see one more year of his contract through.

What I can't figure out is why the team didn't give him the Beauchemin treatment this past season to try to keep his hip from breaking down. Boom-boom's last season, the team said from day 1 that he wasn't going to play in both games of a B2B, that they would monitor his minutes, and that he would be getting rest breaks throughout the season to keep him healthy. With Kesler, he played pretty much every B2B, RC piled a 62% D-zone start workload on him (usually against the opponents' top lines), and Kes even finished 3rd on the team in PK TOI (behind only 42 & 47) despite playing in only 60 games. What??? Between Gibby and Kesler, its hard not to get really ticked off at RC for the way he overused and abused them, and at GMBM for the way he allowed it to happen.

Kesler wanted to make 1000 games.  He couldn't sit much and do that.  That explains Kesler, at least.

Gibby... I bet Gibs was making the same commitment, but for different reasons.  Coaches don't (often) sit players who are playing well and say they want to play.  It's rare that a team sits a #1 goalie these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nieder said:

Ritchie was my first thought too.

That, or Getz with his back spasms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Murray quote is aimed at the long time Ducks veterans:

“You start doubting the character of some of the people that you never thought you would doubt,” Murray said. “Some of the ones I was really worried about, that I couldn’t believe what I was seeing (before taking over as coach), that wasn’t as bad as I thought.”

I think that maybe he was talking about Rakell and Manson. Until Carlyle was fired, Rakell was pretty bad and Manson was pretty bad all season. I still put it on Murray for keeping Carlyle around too long so he's mostly responsible for the culture going on here. The young guys were hungry and wanted to play and I think showed the best work ethic the last quarter of the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Kesler wanted to make 1000 games.  He couldn't sit much and do that.  That explains Kesler, at least.

Gibby... I bet Gibs was making the same commitment, but for different reasons.  Coaches don't (often) sit players who are playing well and say they want to play.  It's rare that a team sits a #1 goalie these days.

That explains nothing. Beauch played 67 games last season with the team micro-managing his season. And it sure doesn’t explain Kesler’s usage either. RC was riding him like he DIDN’T want Kes to hit 1000.

Edited by dtsdlaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I've watched his exit interview a couple of times now and I think this (bolded) is really all we can expect from him. He's obviously not going to leave the game at the end of his contract, but he's going to give it everything he's go to see one more year of his contract through.

What I can't figure out is why the team didn't give him the Beauchemin treatment this past season to try to keep his hip from breaking down. Boom-boom's last season, the team said from day 1 that he wasn't going to play in both games of a B2B, that they would monitor his minutes, and that he would be getting rest breaks throughout the season to keep him healthy. With Kesler, he played pretty much every B2B, RC piled a 62% D-zone start workload on him (usually against the opponents' top lines), and Kes even finished 3rd on the team in PK TOI (behind only 42 & 47) despite playing in only 60 games. What??? Between Gibby and Kesler, its hard not to get really ticked off at RC for the way he overused and abused them, and at GMBM for the way he allowed it to happen.

 

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That explains nothing. Beauch played 67 games last season with the team micro-managing his season. And it sure doesn’t explain Kesler’s usage either. RC was riding him like he DIDN’T want Kes to hit 1000.

New Conspiracy Theory alert! After the first year of the new contract, and taking into account new revelations about his failing hips, BM suddenly realized how bad of a deal it was and gave RC all the green lights to abuse the duck out of Kesler so that he doesn't finish it and is forced to retire.

Very hard to believe that ^ but still perplexingly strange that they say now that they knew all along that some players were being grinded to dust - like Kesler and Gibson - and they deliberately didn't take any action. Maybe there was a gentleman's agreement between RC and BM "You don't touch the coaching, I don't touch the player's egos" or whatever, which is hard to believe as well. Something's very fishy about physical health, work ethic and player-management relations on the Ducks team.

Edited by Aksun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, dukitup said:

Listened to BM, and found his comment about playing "hurt" really interesting. Thoughts on who he's referring to? 

Also listened to Getzy, and wonder if he might not be replaced as C next year.  

 

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

why?

Spitballing.

Getz acknowledged going forward his ice time will diminish. New coach coming in, Fowler the C heir apparent, maybe now the perfect time for a change. Also taking into consideration Murrays comment about players playing (or lack of) "hurt." Does any of the blame for that (in Murrays eyes) fall on Getz? I don't know. Was Murray thinking of Getzlaf with that comment? We'll probably never know but this offseason should shed some light. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Congrats to Cam. He turned down playing for USA to heal some bumps and bruises and wedding day. 

Congrats to the guy but how did he ever get bumps and bruises.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...