The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dukitup

Exit Interviews

Hampus Lindholm said he was likely to pass on the Worlds this year. Wants to fix a hip issue that kept him out of six games earlier in the season. Wasn't sure about whether Rickard Rakell or Jakob Silfverberg would take part for Sweden.

14 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

This Murray quote is aimed at the long time Ducks veterans:

“You start doubting the character of some of the people that you never thought you would doubt,” Murray said. “Some of the ones I was really worried about, that I couldn’t believe what I was seeing (before taking over as coach), that wasn’t as bad as I thought.”

I think that maybe he was talking about Rakell and Manson. Until Carlyle was fired, Rakell was pretty bad and Manson was pretty bad all season. I still put it on Murray for keeping Carlyle around too long so he's mostly responsible for the culture going on here. The young guys were hungry and wanted to play and I think showed the best work ethic the last quarter of the season.

Doubtful it was Manson. He continued to wear the “A” and had some bad games but I wouldn’t say he was bad all season. I also remember reading BM saying good things about him. Comparing the top 3:

Lindholm - 76 games 

6 G - 22 A -28 P

Limited PP 

Manson - 74 games

3 G - 13 A - 16 P

No PP

Fowler - 59 games

5 G - 18 A - 23 P

Every  PP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Spitballing.

Getz acknowledged going forward his ice time will diminish. New coach coming in, Fowler the C heir apparent, maybe now the perfect time for a change. Also taking into consideration Murrays comment about players playing (or lack of) "hurt." Does any of the blame for that (in Murrays eyes) fall on Getz? I don't know. Was Murray thinking of Getzlaf with that comment? We'll probably never know but this offseason should shed some light. 

My theory on Getzlaf's end to the season ties in with GMBM's attempt to force the younger players into taking more of a leadership role. Once the Ducks were clearly out of the playoff hunt, I'd bet it became a group decision between the team and Getzlaf to decrease his minutes and then ultimately shut him down so that the kids could get more experience in important situations and to see if anyone would step into his leadership role without him on the bench. Getzlaf has proven time and time again that he is one of those "old school" guys that GMBM mentioned in his interview, so I have a hard time believing he was talking about Getz. 

I also don't expect Getzlaf to accept a smaller role next season either. Getzlaf is still an elite player and hands down the best player on the team. GMBM was also very vocal about his disappointment in the 20-somethings' utter failure to step into leadership roles this past season, so I don't think anyone else did enough to take the "C" away from him. Maybe Silfverberg did, since he was just about the only guy bringing it every night (not counting the rookies). But I'd be shocked if GMBM thinks anyone else played their way into the "C" after this abomination of a season. And in terms of playing time, I would just expect GMBM to be looking for a coach who is more willing to roll all four lines rather than leaning on the top lines so heavily the way RC did. But Getz will still be out there in crunch time when it counts the most.

1 hour ago, mulcher said:

Congrats to the guy but how did he ever get bumps and bruises.

Sometimes the elbows and sticks come up high really fast after a goal is scored, and since Fowler was standing around so often when it happened this season, he might have gotten clipped a few times.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, nieder said:

I think so too, but he was a 0.5 points per game player this season getting paid $1.5M per season, that's pretty great value. I would keep him for another season but I think Murray is done with him.

That last game where he went crazy in the third period and had 16 minutes in penalties after seemingly reacting to nothing might have sealed his fate.

I too think we may have seen the last of Nick.  I don't think Nick was ever allowed to be Nick.  He always seemed to play as if we was afraid to do anything.  Every now and then he let it out.  Hockey has changed and it hurts players like Nick.  Look how hard the officials clamped down on the skirmish the other night to prevent any fighting from taking place.  That's a big part of Nick's game and he never was able to fully unleash it IMO.

9 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I too think we may have seen the last of Nick.  I don't think Nick was ever allowed to be Nick.  He always seemed to play as if we was afraid to do anything.  Every now and then he let it out.  Hockey has changed and it hurts players like Nick.  Look how hard the officials clamped down on the skirmish the other night to prevent any fighting from taking place.  That's a big part of Nick's game and he never was able to fully unleash it IMO.

Ritchie hurt himself with his bad decisions, such as the boarding call in the playoffs against Nashville that got him ejected during the 1st period of an elimination game and the sucker punch that ended Roszival's career. Those and other bad decisions have earned him a very bad reputation around the league, especially among the officiating crews, as someone who takes dumb and dangerous penalties. The hold-out this season and then him missing so many games with minor injuries also hurt the team, and you can also look at the decline in his physical play - he had only 123 hits this season after registering 221 and 247 hits the previous two seasons. It's nice that he is getting better at passing the puck and that his assist totals are going up, but this team needs wingers who can find the back of the net, and Ritchie has posted just 10 goals and 9 goals the past two seasons. I just hope we can get value for him in return so that we don't end up with another Palmieri- or Karlsson-esque waste of an asset.

• Like 3

I, too, expect Ritchie to be traded, and I think that's a complete mistake.  He's a productive winger who has developed the work ethic the team is looking for at a ridiculously low price.  The Ducks aren't going to get anywhere near full value for him in a trade.  If the Ducks used him in a package to bring a good top 4 d-man back, I'd be okay with it.  But trading him for a 2nd round pick (the best they can hope for) would be a Palmieri-esque waste of an asset.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I, too, expect Ritchie to be traded, and I think that's a complete mistake.  He's a productive winger who has developed the work ethic the team is looking for at a ridiculously low price.  The Ducks aren't going to get anywhere near full value for him in a trade.  If the Ducks used him in a package to bring a good top 4 d-man back, I'd be okay with it.  But trading him for a 2nd round pick (the best they can hope for) would be a Palmieri-esque waste of an asset.

I have to believe that they will have  " a come to Jesus " meeting with Ritchie and find out where his GUTS are !! If he answers correctly we keep him and we end up with a very good, hard nosed player - if not then we trade him to Winnipeg or Ottawa and let him relish the very very cold winter. Especially Winnipeg where you can watch your dog run away for 2 days :) IMHO

23 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That explains nothing. Beauch played 67 games last season with the team micro-managing his season. And it sure doesn’t explain Kesler’s usage either. RC was riding him like he DIDN’T want Kes to hit 1000.

It does.  The hip thing was a time limit issue, regardless of what he was asked to do on the ice.  He was doing so much pre-game and inter-game work just to get on the ice, actual game play wasn't the limiting factor.

When you have an injury like that, you're constant fighting against seizing up, all the while knowing that every warm up you're doing more damage.

I don't remember Beauch's exact injuries, but I don't think they were in the same league, nor would they be addressed similarly.  And, I don't think Beauch had a particular number in mind - the team just wanted him as fresh as possible throughout, and metered it to team needs.  Correct?

10 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Hampus Lindholm said he was likely to pass on the Worlds this year. Wants to fix a hip issue that kept him out of six games earlier in the season. Wasn't sure about whether Rickard Rakell or Jakob Silfverberg would take part for Sweden.

Scary.  I don't want to hear about hip injuries and our D line.

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

My theory on Getzlaf's end to the season ties in with GMBM's attempt to force the younger players into taking more of a leadership role. Once the Ducks were clearly out of the playoff hunt, I'd bet it became a group decision between the team and Getzlaf to decrease his minutes and then ultimately shut him down so that the kids could get more experience in important situations and to see if anyone would step into his leadership role without him on the bench. Getzlaf has proven time and time again that he is one of those "old school" guys that GMBM mentioned in his interview, so I have a hard time believing he was talking about Getz. 

I also don't expect Getzlaf to accept a smaller role next season either. Getzlaf is still an elite player and hands down the best player on the team. GMBM was also very vocal about his disappointment in the 20-somethings' utter failure to step into leadership roles this past season, so I don't think anyone else did enough to take the "C" away from him. Maybe Silfverberg did, since he was just about the only guy bringing it every night (not counting the rookies). But I'd be shocked if GMBM thinks anyone else played their way into the "C" after this abomination of a season. And in terms of playing time, I would just expect GMBM to be looking for a coach who is more willing to roll all four lines rather than leaning on the top lines so heavily the way RC did. But Getz will still be out there in crunch time when it counts the most.

Silf made inroads with BM particularly in how he took the rookies under his wing and worked with them.  Others on the team were not discussed in similar glowing terms, and I think that "other group" could include Getz.

21 minutes ago, Fisix said:

It does.  The hip thing was a time limit issue, regardless of what he was asked to do on the ice.  He was doing so much pre-game and inter-game work just to get on the ice, actual game play wasn't the limiting factor.

When you have an injury like that, you're constant fighting against seizing up, all the while knowing that every warm up you're doing more damage.

I don't remember Beauch's exact injuries, but I don't think they were in the same league, nor would they be addressed similarly.  And, I don't think Beauch had a particular number in mind - the team just wanted him as fresh as possible throughout, and metered it to team needs.  Correct?

You’re ignoring Kesler’s own words here. He specifically said his hip was in a good place to start the season but that it was the B2Bs and 4 games in 6 nights that broke it down. If he’s being truthful, then resting him on one of the B2B games and giving him occasional nights off would have presumably allowed him to continue his routine without being broken down so much by the grind of the season. Again, that’s Kesler talking, not me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

You’re ignoring Kesler’s own words here. He specifically said his hip was in a good place to start the season but that it was the B2Bs and 4 games in 6 nights that broke it down. If he’s being truthful, then resting him on one of the B2B games and giving him occasional nights off would have presumably allowed him to continue his routine without being broken down so much by the grind of the season. Again, that’s Kesler talking, not me.

Maybe.  I interpret Kes' description to mean that he pushed himself through those extremely difficult times, precisely because he wanted to reach 1000 as soon as possible, and in this season, not because RC or BM were behind him with a whip (as if Kes would let that happen), and not even because RC or BM were focused more on team performance while allowing Kes to damage himself in his quest.  All three of them know (and probably respect too much) what personal goals mean to an NHL player, so I guess you could reasonably argue RC and BM are complicit in allowing the damage to happen, but I don't think they did so out of incompetence or an underhanded attempt to run out Kes' clock.

You could argue that Kes' minutes/game were too high throughout the season, but I still think +- 5 or even 10 minutes each game were a drop in the bucket compared to the time and wear he spent warming up and warming down for each game (in his own words), and I think Kes felt he needed to rack up the games played ASAP to make his personal goal.  

Given Kes' overall demeanor, I think the "choice" this season was to either play Kes as he was played, to allow him reach his personal goal, or LTIR him for a full hip replacement (ball and socket) and hope he could come back from that and make his 1000 games.  Kes made his 1k, he can still get his hip replaced, and the team is going to pay for it either way.  I really don't know what the sports recovery outlook is for a full hip replacement, so this could be it.  It appears his natural hip's days were numbered when they found all those extra bone chips in the most recent surgery.

That said, the season before his recent surgery might be more of a mismanagement issue... but it's VERY difficult to tell who dropped the ball, if it was dropped, or who had the onus to hold the ball back then.  The team could have stopped Kes and pushed for him to get the surgery earlier, but even if Kes had agreed to go along, he'd still have needed the surgery, and I don't think we can justifiably assume his recovery would have been any better.  He's a grinding NHL star with gimpy hips, is all.

• Like 1

I think with all that has happen this season...Ducks will be back,Better,Different and More Focus not to repeat mistakes that got them there. Clear to me I suspect some issues were going on behind the scenes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

My personal list of suspects that Murray referred to:

1. Chad Johnson 
  2. Jake Dotchin 
  3. Daniel Sprong
  4. Ben Street

I really think the main perps are Sprong and Johnson. Sprong was a healthy scratch in several games and we never got any kind of explanation as to why. Johnson was brought in to step in while Gibby and Miller were injured and sure Johnson wasn't the best option but he shouldn't have placed below Boyle in the depth chart. Ritchie didn't make the list because injuries do tend to happen to players that skipped training camp. Also, Ritchie plays a physical style that leads me to believe he's more susceptible to injuries.

8 hours ago, Kanauhtli said:

My personal list of suspects that Murray referred to:

1. Chad Johnson 
  2. Jake Dotchin 
  3. Daniel Sprong
  4. Ben Street

I really think the main perps are Sprong and Johnson. Sprong was a healthy scratch in several games and we never got any kind of explanation as to why. Johnson was brought in to step in while Gibby and Miller were injured and sure Johnson wasn't the best option but he shouldn't have placed below Boyle in the depth chart. Ritchie didn't make the list because injuries do tend to happen to players that skipped training camp. Also, Ritchie plays a physical style that leads me to believe he's more susceptible to injuries.

Sprong actually spoke about this in an interview - he needed to develop his defensive game, and Murray wanted him to sit in the pressbox to get a different perspective on how he needed to do that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sprong actually spoke about this in an interview - he needed to develop his defensive game, and Murray wanted him to sit in the pressbox to get a different perspective on how he needed to do that.

This, and Johnson had concussion-related issues after taking a slap shot to the head in practice, so I really doubt he was talking about Johnson either. He seemed to be after guys who would opt out due to plain old soreness.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This, and Johnson had concussion-related issues after taking a slap shot to the head in practice, so I really doubt he was talking about Johnson either. He seemed to be after guys who would opt out due to plain old soreness.

That would be truly old-school if Bob is like "concussion!? psh! call me when your head is falling of it's neck...you're playing!"

• Like 2

Bob's comments were that he was surprised by players he didn't think were like that. It wouldn't be any new acquisitions, as he wouldn't have past experience with them to be surprised they'd changed their approach to the game.

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I haven't seen any interviews about this. Doesn't that sound weird though? I just don't see how a coach and GM could agree that sitting a player down and having him watch several games will improve his defensive positional awareness. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

There's a part of me that thinks he malingered after the doctors cleared him to play. But again I am only spitballing names. 

15 minutes ago, Kanauhtli said:

I haven't seen any interviews about this. Doesn't that sound weird though? I just don't see how a coach and GM could agree that sitting a player down and having him watch several games will improve his defensive positional awareness. 

There's a part of me that thinks he malingered after the doctors cleared him to play. But again I am only spitballing names. 

I get it. The game from up high is a much different game than on the ice. If you can have the up-high perspective in your mind it can greatly help your vision on the ice as well as understanding how plays are developing without you really seeing it on the ice. It's super easy to see how players should be reacting from up high. Down low it isn't so obvious.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I get it. The game from up high is a much different game than on the ice. If you can have the up-high perspective in your mind it can greatly help your vision on the ice as well as understanding how plays are developing without you really seeing it on the ice. It's super easy to see how players should be reacting from up high. Down low it isn't so obvious.

I have heard rumors of this really new thing, called "video".   You don't think that the players spend a lot of time looking at that?   I mean, I get the idea of sitting in the rafters to watch the game from the "God View", but isn't that exactly what the video does for them?

I'm not taking sides at all on this.   It just boggles my mind that these guys can be paid as they are, yet the 'assumption' seems to be that they are still 'young' and don't know much.  That really surprises me.

37 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I have heard rumors of this really new thing, called "video".   You don't think that the players spend a lot of time looking at that?   I mean, I get the idea of sitting in the rafters to watch the game from the "God View", but isn't that exactly what the video does for them?

I'm not taking sides at all on this.   It just boggles my mind that these guys can be paid as they are, yet the 'assumption' seems to be that they are still 'young' and don't know much.  That really surprises me.

Meh, video is a fad. That's going nowhere. Internet, too. That's not really gonna catch on...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kanauhtli said:

It was in The Athletic.  And this happens all the time with young players.  It doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Meh, video is a fad. That's going nowhere. Internet, too. That's not really gonna catch on...

Yeah, reenactment is where it's really at these days. 

Now you hit him like this... watch carefully

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, RobD360 said:

So you’re sayin that Ritchie was Belly aching? 

It was an either upper body or lower body injury depending where it was in the digestive chain.....