The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

Ducks season is over. Draft lottery is complete, and we're picking number 9 overall. Might as well move on to the 2019-20 season. I'll start with who I'd like the Ducks to hire as the next head coach: Jeff Halpern. Who? He's one of the assistant coaches of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and he is in charge of their forwards. And guess what? As his first year as an assistant coach in the NHL, coaching their forwards, the Lightning led the league in scoring this past season! Also, the Lightning just had, by far, the best regular season record in the NHL this season. They had 62 wins. SIXTY TWO!  And they added 4 OT points, for a total of 128 points! The teams with the second best record were the Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames, with 107 points each. And when Halpern was an assistant coach with the Syracuse Crunch, he was looked at as integral to the play of the younger players. Some quotes when hired by the Lighting, on his coaching job with the Crunch, were: "worked closely with the organization's prospects in Syracuse to assist with individual development," "focused mostly on player needs, especially helping the younger players-whom the Crunch had 11 of this past season-navigate the professional world of hockey for the first time," and "has been a big help with the younger guys, especially as a sounding board in their professional and personal lives." And before being a coach in the minor leagues, he was the player development coach for the Lightning. Sounds like the type of coach we need, with so many younger prospects likely to be playing on our team next season. Further, he is only 42 years old, and can relate to a lot of our players. Plus, he played almost 1,000 games in the NHL, and so has that in common with them as well. In fact, when he was a player, Halpern joked that near the end of his career he acted more like a coach than a player. He also played the role of a checking center most of his career, and so likely has that blue-collar aspect to his coaching style. And in reality, the Lightning were pretty unstoppable this past season. They have a style that excels in the modern NHL. And Halpern knows their system. He can implement a similar system for the Ducks. He is my first choice as our next head coach, although I have not seen anybody else mention his name as a potential head coaching candidate. If he is not hired, then my next choice would be Dallas Eakins. I think he's done a decent job coaching the San Diego Gulls and has helped in the development with our younger players. 

Ok, now for my lines to start next season. I am going to assume Kesler will either be traded (After waiving his no-trade clause) or that he will retire. Also, I do not have Ritchie in the lineup below. Would not be surprised to see him traded, along with our #9 overall draft pick, to move up in the draft. I think he has potential to be great. But with only 9 goals last season, and other talent ready to take off, I am not sure where exactly he fits in the lineup. And unless Perry gets traded, maybe he won't be with the Ducks next season. With that said, I am rooting for him and that he shows up to camp ready to have a breakout season next year. Hopefully that happens. And, yes, I put Comtois in the lineup. Having him play on a line with Getzlaf and Kase would be great for his development. But it also would help extend Getzlaf's playing career, with the speed and skill Comtois offers. I also am assuming we will re-sign anybody that needs to be signed in the off-season. I know we may sign free agents who played for other teams this season, and possibly make a trade or two. And of course, a surprise or two from camp can always beat out another established player. Bob Murray said he wants more speed in the lineup next season. And my first lineup has tons of speed, and talent. Here is my first lineup with the players we currently have.  

-Rakell      -Steel       -Silfverberg

-Comtois   -Getzlaf    -Kase

-Jones      -Henrique   -Terry 

-Sprong     -Shore       -Perry 

-Lindholm -Manson

-Larsson   -Fowler 

-Megna    -Guhle

-Gibson 

-Miller

Who would be your choice for head coach next season, and what would your lineup be? 

LET'S GO DUCKS!

Edited by duck123

We'll likely know the name by June 21st. Just need to cheer for some hot WPG vs. Tampa SCF action.

2 hours ago, Aksun said:

We'll likely know the name by June 21st. Just need to cheer for some hot WPG vs. Tampa SCF action.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Sharks win the Cup this year. I know many would not want that. However, might be cool to see the Sharks win it, since they are the only California team not to have done so. Plus, maybe the Sharks winning it all would be extra motivation for the Ducks to come back next season and win it next year. LET'S GO DUCKS! 

Edited by duck123

33 minutes ago, duck123 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Sharks win the Cup this year. I know many would not want that. However, might be cool to see the Sharks win it, since they are the only California team not to have done so. Plus, maybe the Sharks winning it all would be extra motivation for the Ducks to come back next season and win it next year. LET'S GO DUCKS! 

When you say "might be cool", I assume you mean "will be awful."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

When you say "might be cool", I assume you mean "will be awful."

LOL. I hear you. I do have a lot of respect for somebody like Joe Thornton and what he has done in this league. Hopefully Getzlaf can do what he has done and continue his career for a while. Yes, it would be nice if he won the Cup on a different team than the Sharks. But still--would obviously rather have the Ducks winning the Cup this year. Hopefully next year. 

19 hours ago, duck123 said:

I’ve never had a problem with the Sharks. They have never really had as many goons on their team either. I can’t ever remember an incident where they something atrocious either. Their fans are for the most part even-keeled and not full on jokers like King fans or etc.... I’ll be rooting for them and prob Tor as well even though I am thinking it might be those 2 in the POs (Freddy!) 

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I’ve never had a problem with the Sharks. They have never really had as many goons on their team either. I can’t ever remember an incident where they something atrocious either. Their fans are for the most part even-keeled and not full on jokers like King fans or etc.... I’ll be rooting for them and prob Tor as well even though I am thinking it might be those 2 in the POs (Freddy!) 

Maybe this will jog some memories:

I'll never forget the Douglas Murray knee on Lubo either. That said, they currently don't really have anyone I hate, so I'd be good with them making a run. There are other Western teams I hate FAR more and don't want to see make it.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe this will jog some memories:

I'll never forget the Douglas Murray knee on Lubo either. That said, they currently don't really have anyone I hate, so I'd be good with them making a run. There are other Western teams I hate FAR more and don't want to see make it.

I do remember Torres but there were no crazy bad incidence involving the Ducks. 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

I do remember Torres but there were no crazy bad incidence involving the Ducks. 

I don't understand. That's Torres getting a 41-game suspension for taking a run at Silfverberg's head during a preseason game between the Ducks and Sharks. What exactly qualifies as "crazy bad" if not this?

The Sharks have also employed other goons over the years. Remember when John Scott got a 4-game suspension for sucker punching the Ducks Tim Jackman several years ago? They've also employed the likes of Michael Haley for a number of seasons.

Torres + Haley + Scott is about as goony as you can get, no?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 PM, duck123 said:

Ducks season is over. Draft lottery is complete, and we're picking number 9 overall. Might as well move on to the 2019-20 season. I'll start with who I'd like the Ducks to hire as the next head coach: Jeff Halpern. Who? He's one of the assistant coaches of the Tampa Bay Lightning, and he is in charge of their forwards. And guess what? As his first year as an assistant coach in the NHL, coaching their forwards, the Lightning led the league in scoring this past season! Also, the Lightning just had, by far, the best regular season record in the NHL this season. They had 62 wins. SIXTY TWO!  And they added 4 OT points, for a total of 128 points! The teams with the second best record were the Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames, with 107 points each. And when Halpern was an assistant coach with the Syracuse Crunch, he was looked at as integral to the play of the younger players. Some quotes when hired by the Lighting, on his coaching job with the Crunch, were: "worked closely with the organization's prospects in Syracuse to assist with individual development," "focused mostly on player needs, especially helping the younger players-whom the Crunch had 11 of this past season-navigate the professional world of hockey for the first time," and "has been a big help with the younger guys, especially as a sounding board in their professional and personal lives." And before being a coach in the minor leagues, he was the player development coach for the Lightning. Sounds like the type of coach we need, with so many younger prospects likely to be playing on our team next season. Further, he is only 42 years old, and can relate to a lot of our players. Plus, he played almost 1,000 games in the NHL, and so has that in common with them as well. In fact, when he was a player, Halpern joked that near the end of his career he acted more like a coach than a player. He also played the role of a checking center most of his career, and so likely has that blue-collar aspect to his coaching style. And in reality, the Lightning were pretty unstoppable this past season. They have a style that excels in the modern NHL. And Halpern knows their system. He can implement a similar system for the Ducks. He is my first choice as our next head coach, although I have not seen anybody else mention his name as a potential head coaching candidate. If he is not hired, then my next choice would be Dallas Eakins. I think he's done a decent job coaching the San Diego Gulls and has helped in the development with our younger players. 

Ok, now for my lines to start next season. I am going to assume Kesler will either be traded (After waiving his no-trade clause) or that he will retire. Also, I do not have Ritchie in the lineup below. Would not be surprised to see him traded, along with our #9 overall draft pick, to move up in the draft. I think he has potential to be great. But with only 9 goals last season, and other talent ready to take off, I am not sure where exactly he fits in the lineup. And unless Perry gets traded, maybe he won't be with the Ducks next season. With that said, I am rooting for him and that he shows up to camp ready to have a breakout season next year. Hopefully that happens. And, yes, I put Comtois in the lineup. Having him play on a line with Getzlaf and Kase would be great for his development. But it also would help extend Getzlaf's playing career, with the speed and skill Comtois offers. I also am assuming we will re-sign anybody that needs to be signed in the off-season. I know we may sign free agents who played for other teams this season, and possibly make a trade or two. And of course, a surprise or two from camp can always beat out another established player. Bob Murray said he wants more speed in the lineup next season. And my first lineup has tons of speed, and talent. Here is my first lineup with the players we currently have.  

-Rakell      -Steel       -Silfverberg

-Comtois   -Getzlaf    -Kase

-Jones      -Henrique   -Terry 

-Sprong     -Shore       -Perry 

-Lindholm -Manson

-Larsson   -Fowler 

-Megna    -Guhle

-Gibson 

-Miller

Who would be your choice for head coach next season, and what would your lineup be? 

LET'S GO DUCKS!

Interesting very interesting.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't understand. That's Torres getting a 41-game suspension for taking a run at Silfverberg's head during a preseason game between the Ducks and Sharks. What exactly qualifies as "crazy bad" if not this?

The Sharks have also employed other goons over the years. Remember when John Scott got a 4-game suspension for sucker punching the Ducks Tim Jackman several years ago? They've also employed the likes of Michael Haley for a number of seasons.

Torres + Haley + Scott is about as goony as you can get, no?

Yeah that does suck but their fans have never annoyed me. Their fans make the team tolerable. Every Shark fan I met or spoke to were cool people. 

The Ducks are no saints either BTW. But I do think for the most part our fan base are not douchy. 

Edited by RobD360

Some Sharks fans can be annoying, as with any team.  The worst fans IMO are from Nashville.    The best ones are from Winnepeg.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Rooting for the Sharks is not an option for me.  I’m pulling for Calgary, Winnepeg, and anyone playing Nashville.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Rooting for the Sharks is not an option for me.  I’m pulling for Calgary, Winnepeg, and anyone playing Nashville.

I think I'm going to root for the Stars, because of Cogs.  Nice start tonight taking down the Preds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fowl said:

Sharks vs Preds? 

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 1

Sharks vs Preds? 

ANYONE, and I mean A.N.Y.O.N.E. but the preds. Colorado, Boston, even L.A. But not the Preds. Preds are the worst of the worst of the worst OF the WORST.

• Like 6

That was some battling opening game between the two both takings pieces out of one another.

It will probably get even nastier,not a series for the feint hearted.The Leaf v Boston looked like lightweights in comparison it was a quicker, more like a European game

3 hours ago, mulcher said:

That was some battling opening game between the two both takings pieces out of one another.

It will probably get even nastier,not a series for the feint hearted.The Leaf v Boston looked like lightweights in comparison it was a quicker, more like a European game

Looks like that also....both teams do not like each other. Besides it's fun when one enjoys the game and not cheer for both teams.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Sharks vs Preds? 

You would see me at my TV clamping and waving my arms in a jaw like motion for sixty minutes.  I hate Trashville.  GO VGK!!

Edited by Fowl

11 hours ago, Fowl said:

You would see me at my TV clamping and waving my arms in a jaw like motion for sixty minutes.  I hate Trashville.  GO VGK!!

Sorry but not for me. Still can’t find any real urge or sense to push for Vegas. They have not been on the scene for long and have not paid any dues. Hard to root for anyone or team that hasn’t put in the time. It reminds me too much of kids today who graduate college and feel they deserve a senior position right out of the gate. Their fans have not endured anything, they went to the Finals on their first year  for crying out loud (can you say band wagon). 

Sharks on the other hand have been at it for awhile now and have gone through the gauntlet of almost there elations and ultimate let-downs (even at the hands of the Ducks). Their fans are not trashy or belligerent (for the most part) they deserve it. But more so they got Big Joe who has always been a class act and has put in the many years as a top notch center he’s def put in the time and deserves a cup. Boston trades him away and he then gets accepted in SJ.... it’s time. They got my vote! Go Sharks! Get your cup and be the 3rd CA team to do it! 

And don’t ever get me wrong, I will never cheer ((never)) for the Queens... can’t stand LA 

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 2

Sorry but not for me. Still can’t find any real urge or sense to push for Vegas. They have not been on the scene for long and have not paid any dues. Hard to root for anyone or team that hasn’t put in the time. It reminds me too much of kids today who graduate college and feel they deserve a senior position right out of the gate. Their fans have not endured anything, they went to the Finals on their first year  for crying out loud (can you say band wagon). 

Sharks on the other hand have been at it for awhile now and have gone through the gauntlet of almost there elations and ultimate let-downs (even at the hands of the Ducks). Their fans are not trashy or belligerent (for the most part) they deserve it. But more so they got Big Joe who has always been a class act and has put in the many years as a top notch center he’s def put in the time and deserves a cup. Boston trades him away and he then gets accepted in SJ.... it’s time. They got my vote! Go Sharks! Get your cup and be the 3rd CA team to do it! 

And don’t ever get me wrong, I will never cheer ((never)) for the Queens... can’t stand LA 

Rooting for VGK to bounce the Sharks.  After that back to the Flames, Jets, and anybody playing Nashville.  

Anyone Guess or think Bob is going to pull a trade?. Either way IF our Ducks are going to inject some youth...We may see Young Guns like Steel,Comtios,Jones and few others earn Spots in 19-20 season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Anyone Guess or think Bob is going to pull a trade?. Either way IF our Ducks are going to inject some youth...We may see Young Guns like Steel,Comtios,Jones and few others earn Spots in 19-20 season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ritchie traded, along with our 9th overall draft pick, to move up in the draft. 

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ritchie traded, along with our 9th overall draft pick, to move up in the draft. 

Nick Ritchie doesn't move the needle enough to get the Ducks higher in the draft. It would have to be a more significant player, a prospect with a higher ceiling, BOTH of our 1st rounders, or maybe even a 1st in the 2020 draft.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nick Ritchie doesn't move the needle enough to get the Ducks higher in the draft. It would have to be a more significant player, a prospect with a higher ceiling, BOTH of our 1st rounders, or maybe even a 1st in the 2020 draft.

I wonder if a team would ask for a player like Kase.  I wouldn't mind giving up our second first rounder as well, if we get back another later round draft pick. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Troy Terry might move the needle for Colorado. Home town kid and everything. The 9th pick, Terry and Guhle? Hey, if they want a roster player I'm pretty sure Shore is available. I don't want to give up both 1st rounders or the one from 2020 but if Dach or Cozens is there, it might be worth it and Bob needs to explore those options once the playoffs are over for Colorado.

39 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Troy Terry might move the needle for Colorado. Home town kid and everything. The 9th pick, Terry and Guhle? Hey, if they want a roster player I'm pretty sure Shore is available. I don't want to give up both 1st rounders or the one from 2020 but if Dach or Cozens is there, it might be worth it and Bob needs to explore those options once the playoffs are over for Colorado.

I think that it would take something like Rakell or Lindholm, and both 1st round picks to move up enough, but I don’t see it happening. Terry and Guhle don’t have the resumès to move the needle. Teams aren’t trading those picks (especially in the top-5) and the talent level generally starts to level off at that point that it may not be worth it to move up. 9th overall is the only pick that I don’t see Murray parting with at all. 

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that it would take something like Rakell or Lindholm, and both 1st round picks to move up enough, but I don’t see it happening. Terry and Guhle don’t have the resumès to move the needle. Teams aren’t trading those picks (especially in the top-5) and the talent level generally starts to level off at that point that it may not be worth it to move up. 9th overall is the only pick that I don’t see Murray parting with at all. 

No way we give up that much to draft at four.