The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

On 7/12/2019 at 11:56 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Most rebuilds and transitions take longer than two years though. Plus, Murray hasn’t made moves as of yet to help accelerate the process. I absolutely understand fans being extremely ticked for how last season went solely because of Carlyle and Murray. Though, I think that fans should be more excited to see what this team can do going forward given the changes that are starting to take place. I don’t think you’ll see Honda Center half empty because of it or think missing 2-3 years of playoff revenue are going hamper the franchise. Fans understand, or at least should, that teams can’t make the playoffs or be good every year lol.

I think the team could definitely face attendance issues and financial woes due to a lower revenue stream. They're rebuilding with youth, so they may not need to fork over big contracts for the next 4-5 years, but I think it could definitely catch up with them in the long run in terms of attracting UFAs or re-signing their own RFAs.

The timing of the rebuild is also a bit unfortunate. The Ducks already get bumped from radio for Angels pre-season games in the spring when they're in the home stretch fighting for the playoffs, and with Kawhi Leonard and Paul George coming to the Clippers, you have to wonder if they'll be bounced from Fox Sports TV broadcasts this coming season as well. As a San Diegan, I'm already worried that Fox Sports San Diego will be choosing to show the Clippers over the Ducks since both of those are considered FSSD teams, and that the Ducks will be stuck on KCAL for more broadcasts (which we don't get down here). If the Clippers are good and become a trendy ticket, I also think they could eat into the Ducks attendance, especially if the Ducks play poor or even middle-of-the-road hockey.

12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think the team could definitely face attendance issues and financial woes due to a lower revenue stream. They're rebuilding with youth, so they may not need to fork over big contracts for the next 4-5 years, but I think it could definitely catch up with them in the long run in terms of attracting UFAs or re-signing their own RFAs.

The timing of the rebuild is also a bit unfortunate. The Ducks already get bumped from radio for Angels pre-season games in the spring when they're in the home stretch fighting for the playoffs, and with Kawhi Leonard and Paul George coming to the Clippers, you have to wonder if they'll be bounced from Fox Sports TV broadcasts this coming season as well. As a San Diegan, I'm already worried that Fox Sports San Diego will be choosing to show the Clippers over the Ducks since both of those are considered FSSD teams, and that the Ducks will be stuck on KCAL for more broadcasts (which we don't get down here). If the Clippers are good and become a trendy ticket, I also think they could eat into the Ducks attendance, especially if the Ducks play poor or even middle-of-the-road hockey.

It's unfortunate but it's nature of the sport...Ducks know they cannot go on as they are...mistakes were made and Ducks especially  GM Bob Murray is trying to correct it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

54 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think Kase will be on LTIR. He had his shoulder surgery January 30th and the recovery period was stated as 5-6 months. Even if there's a setback in his recovery, you would still expect him to be ready by the start of the season. And speaking of Kase, there was a decent article on him by The Hockey Writers last week here: https://thehockeywriters.com/kase-ducks-2019-20-x-factor/. A sampling...

That aside, you're right, that's a lot of cap space. Wonder if ownership is making GMBM stay low this season to make up for the Perry buyout.

we seem to have 4 year cycles...

Capture.GIF

Edited by Fisix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

we seem to have 4 year cycles...

Capture.GIF

Interesting very Interestin thank you for the Info....very interesting.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m personally excited for this season. I think fan frustration had as much, if not more, to do with RC. It was pretty evident to most that his system wasn’t working and it was frustrating the players. A few made subtle comments after RC left, specifically the defense. 

Why it should be a frustrated season this season? We should see a lot of talents with Kase, Terry, Steel, Jones, Comtois, Lundeström and maybe Zegras at the end of the season. 

So I love to see hove they grow up and make steps forward. 

2 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Why it should be a frustrated season this season? We should see a lot of talents with Kase, Terry, Steel, Jones, Comtois, Lundeström and maybe Zegras at the end of the season. 

So I love to see hove they grow up and make steps forward. 

I for one am not excited to see a Duck's team where  50% of the players are Gulls bouncing back and forth between the NHL and AHL. If I'm going to spend hard earned money to go to a game I want to watch an NHL team that is capable of making the playoffs and not full of prospects. One or two rookies on the squad? Fine. Six to ten? NO THANKS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

I for one am not excited to see a Duck's team where  50% of the players are Gulls bouncing back and forth between the NHL and AHL. If I'm going to spend hard earned money to go to a game I want to watch an NHL team that is capable of making the playoffs and not full of prospects. One or two rookies on the squad? Fine. Six to ten? NO THANKS. 

some times you must make a rebuild... you can't be every year in the playoffs!!! and better give the young players ice time in the NHL then a Deslauriers, Martinsen ect.

in 5-10 years (some of this players have star-potential) you can say, hey I saw this player since he started in the NHL, I saw they grown up....

I don't understand why some people here always wants playoffs, playoffs, playoffs....you can't always win!

its an other think if you team is only bad... we have some potential players, it will be fun to watch the next years, how they grow up, they are leader of the team in the future! I hope we will play with 5-6 prospects... Zegras/Comtois think we will have a lot of fun with duo...

a fan is also there in weak years! not only with good weather...

Edited by Spike1981

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

some times you must make a rebuild... you can't be every year in the playoffs!!! and better give the young players ice time in the NHL then a Deslauriers, Martinsen ect.

in 5-10 years (some of this players have star-potential) you can say, hey I saw this player since he started in the NHL, I saw they grown up....

I don't understand why some people here always wants playoffs, playoffs, playoffs....you can't always win!

its an other think if you team is only bad... we have some potential players, it will be fun to watch the next years, how they grow up, they are leader of the team in the future! I hope we will play with 5-6 prospects... Zegras/Comtois think we will have a lot of fun with duo...

a fan is also there in weak years! not only with good weather...

Rebuilds are fine, but only having one bonafide star (Getzlaf) on the team is something else. After buying out Perry GMBM should have landed another "Named" player. Perry and Kesler are gone, Eaves is probably gone, It's bad optics. If I want to watch the Gulls play I'll go down to San Diego and catch a game.I don't need to see them up in Anaheim pretending to be NHL players. One or two rookies on the squad.. sure But six or more? It's a wasted season for someone like Getzlaf who only has a few seasons left. Between the two I think Perry got the better deal. He gets a chance to compete again while Getzlaf will be stuck babysitting for the next two seasons. Thanks Bob.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Rebuilds are fine, but only having one bonafide star (Getzlaf) on the team is something else. After buying out Perry GMBM should have landed another "Named" player. Perry and Kesler are gone, Eaves is probably gone, It's bad optics. If I want to watch the Gulls play I'll go down to San Diego and catch a game.I don't need to see them up in Anaheim pretending to be NHL players. One or two rookies on the squad.. sure But six or more? It's a wasted season for someone like Getzlaf who only has a few seasons left. Between the two I think Perry got the better deal. He gets a chance to compete again while Getzlaf will be stuck babysitting for the next two seasons. Thanks Bob.

yes, for Getzlaf its waste of time, but you must see what is the best for the team, not for an (even when he was fantastic) player who will be retired in years. he can give some things these prospects on their way... we now ride over 15 years on Getz/Perry, sometime everything ends and the half of them ended already...

its not said that we don't can reach the playoffs with the prospects! Comtois (ok only 10 games) had a good stint and has leadership quality (Captain of Canada). Jones had some nice games, a really power forward. Kase if he isn't always is injured, will be nice (a 7th rounder!!!), Lundeström I liked how he controlled the puck and Zegras.... he should be our next elite player. Steel should also make his way. on Terry I not without doubt, he still looks like a 15 years old kid with 21, not enough muscle...

Edited by Spike1981

17 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

yes, for Getzlaf its waste of time, but you must see what is the best for the team, not for an (even when he was fantastic) player who will be retired in years. he can give some things these prospects on their way... we now ride over 15 years on Getz/Perry, sometime everything ends and the half of them ended already...

its not said that we don't can reach the playoffs with the prospects! Comtois (ok only 10 games) had a good stint and has leadership quality (Captain of Canada). Jones had some nice games, a really power forward. Kase if he isn't always is injured, will be nice (a 7th rounder!!!), Lundeström I liked how he controlled the puck and Zegras.... he should be our next elite player. Steel should also make his way. on Terry I not without doubt, he still looks like a 15 years old kid with 21, not enough muscle...

I think when Puck Drops on Oct3rd I hope this year's Edition of Ducks surprise everyone...have a feeling they are ready to Bounce back.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think a the key point you hit is on is that the Ducks aren’t slated to give out big contracts as they transition. That should help soften the blow of any revenue loss. Right now is actually a good time for them to not be spending a lot and then utilize the money later. I hope they spend a little bit to upgrade their defense, so that Gibson doesn’t get murdered, but that will be offset to a certain extent by money back the other way in a theoretical trade. 

The Clippers are going to be a marquee ticket for at least two years, which is hopefully when the Ducks start making noise with the next generation of players. That should hurt the Kings more though. The Ducks aren’t going to contend during that time anyway. It’ll definitely suck if they get bumped from television. They need to have a flashing chyron and bull horn saying “Randy Carlyle no longer coaches this team!” and they should be fine!

2 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I’d blame Bob for wasting Getzlaf and Perry’s prime years more than the ones near the end of their careers. The opportunity was already gone. The last two seasons have been wasted. At least next year, the team is going to have a new direction is which should be exciting to watch play out. You generally get bonafide stars through rebuilds anyways. It’s better than pretending that the Ducks were an exciting or contending team and didn’t have to go through a rebuild.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

i'm interested in watching how the Ducks play, not so much on how successful they are against other teams.  i may be a weirdo on this: i don't have time to invest in other teams, and rarely time to follow individual players who aren't currently a Duck (i try to follow some careers as players matriculate out).  i'm mainly excited to see the players i <almost> know personally play, at this point.  i pay to see them, my buds, in my home rink, and while i'd love success, i'm generally ok with solid play and progress at different points in the game.  what i can't stand, or at least what frustrates me most as a fan, isn't mistakes on the ice, but lack of mental or physical effort, along with some long term tendencies that bear out when a player or team isn't making headway towards putting in repeated solid mental and physical effort. 

i may not be asking for what people typically want when they purchase a ticket to a game... but maybe not.  i go to live games to see the interstitial stuff that you don't see on TV.  hazy does a decent job at getting all that to you eventually, but there's some stuff that just doesn't feel the same or make sense unless you're getting it real time next to the ice.  point is, i invest the $$ not just to see winning.  i like complex story lines, and i treat live games (and seasons of live games) like an entertainment experience.  aside - that's why i like Steve Dangle's videos so much - i can keep tabs on another team, in fairly decent depth, only spending about 15min/game (or less).  

i guess i'm saying i enjoy riding the wave, but it has to be waves, shifts up (and inevitably down), not just a tepid drying-out pond.  rookies are almost never willing to wilt in a tepid pond, and they try to do stuff on the ice that older players have had beaten out of them over time.  that's going to be fun to watch live, as long as Eakins lets them do it (RC seemed to stifle that).

long term, i could sour on live ducks games for a few reasons (mainly, if the admin keep jacking the prices on everything, making the seating less comfortable, and let the food quality slide), but i've bought into the idea that we're treading water a bit before the next ED, so i'm giving them a lot of leeway on winning games for now.  i want to see other types of success, mainly surrounding team chemistry and steady player growth, and as long as i see that, i'm good for this season.

is that too much leeway for $100+/seat tickets?  maybe.  i do what i can to keep the overall price down (park for free, limit incidental purchases) and try not to focus on the $$ cost (and try to view it as dedicated time away from other concerns, so almost never a waste of time).

anyway, you're reading a post from a guy who frequented chess tournaments back in the 90s and still tries to watch a few big tournament games online now and again.  YMMV.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Interesting very Interestin thank you for the Info....very interesting.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

what i'd really like to see is cap space graphs by month since the inception of the team.  i'd probably have to reach out to the team for that.

7 hours ago, Fisix said:

what i'd really like to see is cap space graphs by month since the inception of the team.  i'd probably have to reach out to the team for that.

I would too if I need to inject the graph into my Ducks History Book.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:51 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Dang, and here I thought this forum would be a nice escape from the pain of Kawhi leaving Toronto. For the readers here who don't follow basketball, it would be like if Tavares put together one of the greatest MVP playoff campaigns of all time and led the Islanders to a championship before immediately signing for less to go home to the Leafs. I know he delivered a title but it still hurts to see him go. It would be a double whammy to me as a Ducks fan if the Clippers start poaching our fan base too cause of him.

I can't speak to what it will be like in San Diego but at least history was on our side the last time something like this happenedI remember how the Clippers traded for Chris Paul the same season the Ducks had their first Carlyle induced meltdown. They had one of the most exciting teams in sports at the time with that Lob City run and they still ended up being a third wheel in their own building behind the Kobe Lakers and Kings. That was about as brutal of a season the Ducks could've had with the Kings winning and a lockout on the horizon. There wasn't any long term damage to our fan base in the end. Even though the attendance fell off towards the end of the season, it was never embarrassing or Florida Panthers bad. Of course the fact that the Ducks began playing an uptempo brand of hockey and became a top team in the west within a year certainly helped. None of that was certain at the time though. There's a lot of similarities between that year and where they are now. It's bad timing for the casual SoCal sports fan but I feel like anyone with a passing interest in the Ducks will (hopefully) take notice if they can move away from that chaos-on-ice act of the last two seasons.

All that said, Chris Paul & Blake Griffin aren't Kawhi Leonard & Paul George. The Clippers are the favourites to win it all now. Still I think if any hockey team has to be worried about basketball, it's the one lowly hockey team sharing a building with those two guys on top of LeBron James, Anthony Davis, & Demarcus Cousins. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Dang, and here I thought this forum would be a nice escape from the pain of Kawhi leaving Toronto. For the readers here who don't follow basketball, it would be like if Tavares put together one of the greatest MVP playoff campaigns of all time and led the Islanders to a championship before immediately signing for less to go home to the Leafs. I know he delivered a title but it still hurts to see him go. It would be a double whammy to me as a Ducks fan if the Clippers start poaching our fan base too cause of him.

I can't speak to what it will be like in San Diego but at least history was on our side the last time something like this happenedI remember how the Clippers traded for Chris Paul the same season the Ducks had their first Carlyle induced meltdown. They had one of the most exciting teams in sports at the time with that Lob City run and they still ended up being a third wheel in their own building behind the Kobe Lakers and Kings. That was about as brutal of a season the Ducks could've had with the Kings winning and a lockout on the horizon. There wasn't any long term damage to our fan base in the end. Even though the attendance fell off towards the end of the season, it was never embarrassing or Florida Panthers bad. Of course the fact that the Ducks began playing an uptempo brand of hockey and became a top team in the west within a year certainly helped. None of that was certain at the time though. There's a lot of similarities between that year and where they are now. It's bad timing for the casual SoCal sports fan but I feel like anyone with a passing interest in the Ducks will (hopefully) take notice if they can move away from that chaos-on-ice act of the last two seasons.

All that said, Chris Paul & Blake Griffin aren't Kawhi Leonard & Paul George. The Clippers are the favourites to win it all now. Still I think if any hockey team has to be worried about basketball, it's the one lowly hockey team sharing a building with those two guys on top of LeBron James, Anthony Davis, & Demarcus Cousins. 

I just hope Ducks will bounce back...it's not only vital But VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Bob's tenure is on the line if this team falters again.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think we have the talent to make the playoffs next season. Our defense will be above average. And our goalie is one of the top 7 goalies in the league. Possibly top 5. That combination alone gives us a chance. We also have some very skilled forwards. I think we have more than 1 bonafide star as well in our forward group, besides Getzlaf. Let's remember Ricard Rakell was an NHL all-star the season before last. We also have Kase, who can be as good as Rakell, IMO. Jones looked like a beast at times last year. Eaves might be back. Steel played like a number one center to finish last season. Terry has the skill to be great in the modern NHL. Comtois has star-potential. Henrique also has the ability to play anywhere in the lineup. Oh, and that Silfverberg player isn't bad either. And we have a coach that might just thrive in the modern NHL as well. Should be a fun season, and one that hopefully ends with the playoffs. 

Let's go Ducks!

Edited by duck123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I think we have the talent to make the playoffs next season. Our defense will be above average. And our goalie is one of the top 7 goalies in the league. Possibly top 5. That combination alone gives us a chance. We also have some very skilled forwards. I think we have more than 1 bonafide star as well in our forward group, besides Getzlaf. Let's remember Ricard Rakell was an NHL all-star the season before last. We also have Kase, who can be as good as Rakell, IMO. Jones looked like a beast at times last year. Eaves might be back. Steel played like a number one center to finish last season. Terry has the skill to be great in the modern NHL. Comtois has star-potential. Henrique also has the ability to play anywhere in the lineup. Oh, and that Silfverberg player isn't bad either. And we have a coach that might just thrive in the modern NHL as well. Should be a fun season, and one that hopefully ends with the playoffs. 

Let's go Ducks!

Agree with everything except for the defense being above average. The Ducks only have 3 legit NHL defenders (MDZ is borderline at this stage of his career IMO). Considering how many games 4 & 47 have missed the past few seasons, that’s dangerous. I think our offense is going to be vastly improved over last season, but GMBM has done a poor job constructing the defense... so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

Let's go Ducks!

Aside from goaltending, I don't see where the Ducks have enough pieces on the blue line or upfront to make the playoffs. Yes, Gibson is spectacular but ask Carey Price and Montreal about having your goaltender be the best player on your roster by a wide margin. John: 36 can only do so much. We need a quality RHD and a ton more scoring. Getzlaf is 34, more injury prone, and is going to likely have his minutes reduced this year for those reasons. The young guys simply need time to develop and let's cross our fingers that they do. Too many teams in the West are better than us. The Ducks are a work in progress next season and I'm looking forward and hope to see them take steps forward. I don't think that the expectation of making the playoffs is realistic.

57 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree with everything except for the defense being above average. The Ducks only have 3 legit NHL defenders (MDZ is borderline at this stage of his career IMO). Considering how many games 4 & 47 have missed the past few seasons, that’s dangerous. I think our offense is going to be vastly improved over last season, but GMBM has done a poor job constructing the defense... so far.

Yeah. The defense has depleted like no other in less than two years time. Murray went heavy on defense at the draft to rebuild the our once vaunted pipeline, which is one thing that I have confidence in him to do. Though, it's going to be a couple of years before we hope to see those guys in Anaheim. I still think that he's going to pull the trigger this summer for an RHD.

Am I crazy in that I don't see how the Ducks offense is going to be vastly improved next season to where they can vie for a playoff spot, especially given the landscape of the West? I do expect them to improve simply by not having Carlyle, but to that extent? With no major scoring additions and young players acclimating to a full NHL season?

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Fair points. I guess I just feel that if they can stay healthy, Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson make a great core for our defense. And they are all above average. Any team in the league would definitely love to have any of those 3 players, and would make room for them to play in their top 4. That leaves 3 spots on defense. I am hopeful that MDZ is going to have a rebound year.

I also am very hopeful that the Finnish defenseman Jani Hakanpaa is so good that we'll wish he had signed a 3 year contract instead of a 1-year. Hakanpaa is 6'5" and according to Hockey's Future, he can "throw his body with the best of them." Says he plays a sound defensive game, and plays a very gritty and hard-nosed style of play. We already have a player that plays this style, in Manson. To add another, who skates well for a big player, could be what our team needs. Shoots right also. Just imagine he ends up being somebody who can be paired with Fowler. Could be a great combo. Another cool thing? He led the Finnish Elite League in plus/minus the past TWO seasons. He also helped his team, Oulun Karpat, win the Finnish Elite League championship, and scored 11 goals last year. Those 11 goals ranked second among league defenseman. So, he has offensive potential as well.

He also just helped Finland's national hockey team win gold-the World Championship Title-at the 2019 IIHF World Championship. To put it in perspective, winning hockeys World Championship is like winning the Stanley Cup for many countries. And the team their team beat was Team Canada. So, we know he can play against NHL players. Team Canada was filled with them: 

He won TWO championships last year: One with Outun Karpat, in the Finnish Elite League, and the other with Team Finland, in the Hockey World Championship. He is a winner. He is sound defensively. Has ability to score goals, when need be. Can check and play a gritty game, like Manson. He could end up being a steal of a signing, and somebody who may be difficult to re-sign next offseason. Plus, he is only 27 years old-same age as Fowler and Manson. I know players signed from overseas don't always make the easiest transition to the NHL. I just have a feeling he can be a big part of our defense next season. Of course, there are no guarantees. 

I also believe we have tons of other talented defenseman ready to take the next step. Larsson. Guhle. Mahura. Larsson already played decent in some games for us last season, paired with Fowler. He played his best earlier in the season, IMO, when paired with Lindholm. If Hakanpaa doesn't work out with Fowler, Larsson can always be paired with Lindholm, and Manson can be paired with Fowler. And that would be an above average defense, if you ask me. 

We'll see what happens. With that said, I would not be surprised to see GMBM make another move on defense. We shall see...

Edited by duck123

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Aside from goaltending, I don't see where the Ducks have enough pieces on the blue line or upfront to make the playoffs. Yes, Gibson is spectacular but ask Carey Price and Montreal about having your goaltender be the best player on your roster by a wide margin. John: 36 can only do so much. We need a quality RHD and a ton more scoring. Getzlaf is 34, more injury prone, and is going to likely have his minutes reduced this year for those reasons. The young guys simply need time to develop and let's cross our fingers that they do. Too many teams in the West are better than us. The Ducks are a work in progress next season and I'm looking forward and hope to see them take steps forward. I don't think that the expectation of making the playoffs is realistic.

Yeah. The defense has depleted like no other in less than two years time. Murray went heavy on defense at the draft to rebuild the our once vaunted pipeline, which is one thing that I have confidence in him to do. Though, it's going to be a couple of years before we hope to see those guys in Anaheim. I still think that he's going to pull the trigger this summer for an RHD.

Am I crazy in that I don't see how the Ducks offense is going to be vastly improved next season to where they can vie for a playoff spot, especially given the landscape of the West? I do expect them to improve simply by not having Carlyle, but to that extent? With no major scoring additions and young players acclimating to a full NHL season?

I guess we shall see how our team responds in the new system our coach implements. Hopefully you are pleasantly surprised at how well our team does, and how many of our younger players see their potential realized this season. We shall see...

i was just thinking that one major place BM fails this team as a GM is when he pulls the trigger on a new player.  i don't think he understands or properly values the benefit to having a d-line and f-line together all through spring training.  sure, he can get a decent player at a discount later in the season, but i fear that late addition just doesn't jell with his linemates like he would if brought in before spring.  

and, that's a big problem when you bring in someone who has a high $$ contract.  they're immediately in the mix, and there's no chance to work out organically a heirarchy or line 6th sense.

i think he makes better than league-average decisions on players... but i'm beginning to think he makes it so late that the upside is artificially limited.  

it could be a generational thing, as in back in his day, they did x and the new kids should do x, but the new kids today actually do y.  BM has recognized this in other aspects of training, but i wonder if he's missed this aspect.  pay a little more to get a decent player before spring, and maybe the bang/buck is much better (with a little bit of added risk, since you don't know if they'll make it past spring healthy).

just a thought.  this slides in nicely with my general complaint that the team hasn't placed smoothly/seamlessly, AS A TEAM, in a long time.  they always seem to be in the midst of learning new linemates and figuring out what goes where, and only rarely luck into a really excellent play.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

i was just thinking that one major place BM fails this team as a GM is when he pulls the trigger on a new player.  i don't think he understands or properly values the benefit to having a d-line and f-line together all through spring training.  sure, he can get a decent player at a discount later in the season, but i fear that late addition just doesn't jell with his linemates like he would if brought in before spring.  

and, that's a big problem when you bring in someone who has a high $$ contract.  they're immediately in the mix, and there's no chance to work out organically a heirarchy or line 6th sense.

i think he makes better than league-average decisions on players... but i'm beginning to think he makes it so late that the upside is artificially limited.  

it could be a generational thing, as in back in his day, they did x and the new kids should do x, but the new kids today actually do y.  BM has recognized this in other aspects of training, but i wonder if he's missed this aspect.  pay a little more to get a decent player before spring, and maybe the bang/buck is much better (with a little bit of added risk, since you don't know if they'll make it past spring healthy).

just a thought.  this slides in nicely with my general complaint that the team hasn't placed smoothly/seamlessly, AS A TEAM, in a long time.  they always seem to be in the midst of learning new linemates and figuring out what goes where, and only rarely luck into a really excellent play.

Or as I call it back in the day during "Mighty Ducks" Message Board Days...jelling together.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

20 hours ago, Fisix said:

Clayton Stoner please raise your hand....

All kidding aside, as much as I would like some really good players I do agree that I wouldn't want to pay those high $$ contracts on FA.

Only way to truly know is to get these "kids" to play together.  A rebuild is one thing...gutting the entire roster is something that would be unacceptable!

Edited by GiAnTFAN-ad1

7 minutes ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

Only way to truly know is to get these "kids" to play together.  A rebuild is one thing...gutting the entire roster is something that would be unacceptable!

It would be fatal mistake one can see that in all  team sports...especially in Hockey.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If our coaches want to go with veteran forwards, we have plenty to choose from: 

1) Getzlaf

2) Rakell

3) Kase

4) Silfverberg

5) Henrique

6) Ritchie

7) Shore

8)Grant

9) Rowney

10) Sprong 

The last 3 are all iffy to make the team. But all have more NHL experience than many of our rookies. I think players listed 1-7 are all locks to make our team. That leaves 5 forward spots up for grabs. Should be fun to see who comes to training camp ready to earn an NHL spot! 

Edited by duck123

3 hours ago, duck123 said:

1) Getzlaf

2) Rakell

3) Kase

4) Silfverberg

5) Henrique

6) Ritchie

7) Shore

8)Grant

9) Rowney

10) Sprong 

The last 3 are all iffy to make the team. But all have more NHL experience than many of our rookies. I think players listed 1-7 are all locks to make our team. That leaves 5 forward spots up for grabs. Should be fun to see who comes to training camp ready to earn an NHL spot! 

Add Deslauriers. Add Eaves, who it sounds like is going to try for one last comeback. Rowney, Grant, Sprong, Deslauriers, and Eaves are all on one-way contracts, meaning they’re an expensive group of AHLers. And all except for a Sprong meet the criteria for “veteran” in the AHL, which means it’s pretty unlikely they all end up in San Diego together since the Gulls can only dress 6 veterans per game, and I believe Carrick, Wideman, Hakanpaa, Holzer, Sieloff, De Leo, and Martinsen already qualify as “veterans” for the AHL rule. 

I can actually envision scenarios where only one rookie forward makes the big club out of camp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duck123 said:

1) Getzlaf

2) Rakell

3) Kase

4) Silfverberg

5) Henrique

6) Ritchie

7) Shore

8)Grant

9) Rowney

10) Sprong 

you take Shore as a sure NHL-player? for me he should be at number 10 and his spot should be a spot for a rookie...