The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

57 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sprong on waivers. Sure looks like we won the Pettersson trade lol

Definitely did.  Helped us a lot before the youngins were more available to move up, and Pettersson just didn't fit here.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sprong on waivers. Sure looks like we won the Pettersson trade lol

Let's see if he gets claimed. There's obviously something very wrong with Sprong's game that he can't find a spot in ourlineup, even as a 13th forward. If he has work ethic issues or character issues or simply can't stick because he displays horrid effort on defense, other teams may not want to bump anyone from their current lineup to take him on. So he may still have a chance to be something here. Hard to write off a 22-year-old with his wrist shot...

That said, I'm still ticked GMBM gave up Pettersson to get him. Pettersson is a better all around player than both Larsson and Mahura, and he's also a better pure defender than Guhle. Plus, last year's team was a train wreck and it was stupid of GMBM to make a bunch of trades to try to spark the group when it was obvious to EVERYONE that the problem was the coach and not the players. He should have started with the coach and THEN re-evaluated where guys fit in the locker room, not the other way around.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Definitely did.  Helped us a lot before the youngins were more available to move up, and Pettersson just didn't fit here.

I don’t see how putting Sprong on waivers while Pettersson has exceeded expectations in Pittsburgh is us winning the trade. Sprong was also being healthy scratched and can’t help the team from the press box. It’s weird because he put up 14 goals in 47 games which I thought was why we got him, knowing he doesn’t defend, but something is obviously very wrong if he can’t crack our lineup.

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Let's see if he gets claimed. There's obviously something very wrong with Sprong's game that he can't find a spot in ourlineup, even as a 13th forward. If he has work ethic issues or character issues or simply can't stick because he displays horrid effort on defense, other teams may not want to bump anyone from their current lineup to take him on. So he may still have a chance to be something here. Hard to write off a 22-year-old with his wrist shot...

That said, I'm still ticked GMBM gave up Pettersson to get him. Pettersson is a better all around player than both Larsson and Mahura, and he's also a better pure defender than Guhle. Plus, last year's team was a train wreck and it was stupid of GMBM to make a bunch of trades to try to spark the group when it was obvious to EVERYONE that the problem was the coach and not the players. He should have started with the coach and THEN re-evaluated where guys fit in the locker room, not the other way around.

Extremely well put.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Sprong and Carrick on waivers.

Also being reported that all injured Ducks are practicing today, so if everyone is healthy and ready for Thursday it looks like there will be some last minute cuts before tomorrow's deadline. I think this is who we have left currently with the Big Club (please double-check me):

Forwards (16): Getzlaf, Rakell, Silfverberg, Henrique, Kase, Ritchie, Shore, Grant, Rowney, Terry, Steel, Lundestrom, Jones, Comtois, Deslauriers, Sherwood

Defense (9): Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Guhle, Larsson, MDZ, Mahura, Holzer, Benoit

Goalie (2): Gibby, Miller

Four more cuts coming to get to 23....

Edit: should add that the bolded are now a lock to make the team due to waivers requirements.

Edited by dtsdlaw

5 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

Thanks for that info dts! 

I think we are maybe looking at Sherwood going down! But we will see ! I like his shot 

I think Mahura and Benoit get cut. After that, who knows. The biggest questions mark right now seem to be who will open on Getzy’s LW and whether Steel is ready for game action. If we could somehow figure that out, the rest of the lineup should be relatively straight forward to predict. 

I hope Sprong clears waivers. Pittsburgh rushed his development and then when that was obvious he couldn’t be sent down without waivers. That’s when we acquired him. He could use AHL time, but he has the tools to score a lot in the NHL. I hope some random team looking for offense doesn’t take a flier on him. 

My guesses as to who will be cut from the forwards, in order of certainty, are: Sherwood, Comtois, and Lundestrom (if Steel is healthy, if not, Lundestrom stays and Jones probably goes down).  It's a shame we have both Shore and Deslauriers on this team and we can't have four lines that are trying to score.  But oh well.

Personally, I'd love to see Jones on Getzlaf's wing.  I'm curious to see where they put Terry.  He's more of a distributor than a finisher, so I don't really like him with Getzlaf, but I don't think he fits anywhere else, either.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Also being reported that all injured Ducks are practicing today, so if everyone is healthy and ready for Thursday it looks like there will be some last minute cuts before tomorrow's deadline. I think this is who we have left currently with the Big Club (please double-check me):

Forwards (16): Getzlaf, Rakell, Silfverberg, Henrique, Kase, Ritchie, Shore, Grant, Rowney, Terry, Steel, Lundestrom, Jones, Comtois, Deslauriers, Sherwood

Defense (9): Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Guhle, Larsson, MDZ, Mahura, Holzer, Benoit

Edit: should add that the bolded are now a lock to make the team due to waivers requirements.

good info!!

Well...I'm guessing we are gonna have 7 D right now...to help with ice time....so, I'd go with Mahura and Benoit getting cut....and then Sherwood and Comtois in the forward group. 

34 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

good info!!

Well...I'm guessing we are gonna have 7 D right now...to help with ice time....so, I'd go with Mahura and Benoit getting cut....and then Sherwood and Comtois in the forward group. 

Agreed. I just checked the Gulls schedule too and they have a weird one for October. They start Friday at Bakersfield and then only have five more games this month (10/11, 10/12, 10/18, 10/25, 10/26). So there's almost no incentive to send down guys for the typical purpose of getting tons of top-line minutes in San Diego, because they'll hardly have any games to play for the first 3+ weeks of the NHL season. So you'd kind of expect the final cut will be between Comtois and Lundestrom, and it will be entirely merit-based resulting from how hard each player competed in camp.

58 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. I just checked the Gulls schedule too and they have a weird one for October. They start Friday at Bakersfield and then only have five more games this month (10/11, 10/12, 10/18, 10/25, 10/26). So there's almost no incentive to send down guys for the typical purpose of getting tons of top-line minutes in San Diego, because they'll hardly have any games to play for the first 3+ weeks of the NHL season. So you'd kind of expect the final cut will be between Comtois and Lundestrom, and it will be entirely merit-based resulting from how hard each player competed in camp.

oh crazy, that IS a weird schedule...

Also, when do we get Zegras again?? He's been in college this whole time, right??

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think Mahura and Benoit get cut. After that, who knows. The biggest questions mark right now seem to be who will open on Getzy’s LW and whether Steel is ready for game action. If we could somehow figure that out, the rest of the lineup should be relatively straight forward to predict. 

With Sprong being put on waivers, I wonder if Sherwood gets the 4th line RW spot. I think Comtois gets sent down and Lundestrom, especially if Steel is healthy. Eric Stephens said all injured Ducks were practicing but did not name Guhle in his list. If Guhle is good to go then I agree that Mahura and Benoit are going to SD. 

38 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

oh crazy, that IS a weird schedule...

Also, when do we get Zegras again?? He's been in college this whole time, right??

Potentially when his college season ends, which could be anywhere from mid March to early April depending on how BU does. If he has a strong freshman year then he might be ready to sign his ELC and play some games. 

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree 100%.

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Looks like this could be the Ducks we see on Oct3rd.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I think yes.  I think they're still shaking that tree, and I think whoever they play first is probably the one who'll have to work the hardest to stay up.  I'm getting the feeling that they're happy with Sherwood's work ethic, but they're worried about his skill level in The Show.  

Prognostication - Sherwood starts the season up, goes down during the first month, stays down for a full month (November), and then, if things look right and continue to look right, he's up and stays up for at least 2 months.  This is an optimistic view on Sherwood, admittedly.  But, I think the spot is his for the taking.

What really needs to happen is NR get traded.  Frankly, he needs to go to Toronto, but he'll probably end up in Calgary?

I need more beer.

Someone please double check my math, but I think Sherwood loses his waivers exemption after 10 more NHL games. So while this scenario makes sense from a talent standpoint, it’s going to take some maneuvering to keep him from getting snatched off waivers.

2 minutes ago, Fisix said:

hmm.  sounds about right.  so he goes down on Oct. 20th?

Honestly, GMBM should just trade Rowney for whatever he can get for him (5th?) and just give that 12/13 forward spot to Sherwood for the season. Otherwise we’re looking at possibly losing Sherwood and/or Sprong from waivers at some point this season. I like Rowney, but there’s no reason to keep a 30-year-old Rowney over younger guys whose rights the team can control for several more years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think yes.  I think they're still shaking that tree, and I think whoever they play first is probably the one who'll have to work the hardest to stay up.  I'm getting the feeling that they're happy with Sherwood's work ethic, but they're worried about his skill level in The Show.  

Prognostication - Sherwood starts the season up, goes down during the first month, stays down for a full month (November), and then, if things look right and continue to look right, he's up and stays up for at least 2 months.  This is an optimistic view on Sherwood, admittedly.  But, I think the spot is his for the taking.

What really needs to happen is NR get traded.  Frankly, he needs to go to Toronto, but he'll probably end up in Calgary?

I need more beer.

I was able to stop drinking after they gave Carlyle the boot. Ritche still has value to the team and I think that he should stay until Comtois and Jones make him expendable. Maybe he plays well again this year and increases his trade value. I doubt he'd get traded within the division though.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Honestly, GMBM should just trade Rowney for whatever he can get for him (5th?) and just give that 12/13 forward spot to Sherwood for the season. Otherwise we’re looking at possibly losing Sherwood and/or Sprong from waivers at some point this season. I like Rowney, but there’s no reason to keep a 30-year-old Rowney over younger guys whose rights the team can control for several more years.

Maybe we can recoup the 4th round pick that we gave up for Deslauriers lol? Moving Rowney makes sense since we still have Shore and Grant. I can get behind a 4th line of those two guys and Sherwood. 

Edit: Sherwood apparently was sent down since he played in the Gulls preseason game tonight

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Sad 1

Murray picked a good day to waive Sprong as there were a bunch of interesting names along with him. Hopefully Sprong has the right attitude about it and improves his game in San Diego. 

28 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Murray picked a good day to waive Sprong as there were a bunch of interesting names along with him. Hopefully Sprong has the right attitude about it and improves his game in San Diego. 

Ho sang was on waivers. Did he clear?

Comtois has apparently made the opening night roster, per Renaud Lavoie.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I like Comtois's potential, but he looked rough out there in the preseason.  I thought he stood to benefit the most from a couple of months on the top line in San Diego.  That's still an option, of course, but I'm surprised.  Maybe this means Jones is heading down to work on his finishing skills.

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I like Comtois's potential, but he looked rough out there in the preseason.  I thought he stood to benefit the most from a couple of months on the top line in San Diego.  That's still an option, of course, but I'm surprised.  Maybe this means Jones is heading down to work on his finishing skills.

the issue is, that the Ducks hasn't much offensive power and Comtois has more offensive then Jones... but I would go with both, Jones I liked what I saw last season... same as Lundestrom.

29 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think the rosters are due at 5pm EST, so we should know pretty soon. Although, I am half-expecting GMBM to pull some of his typical opening day roster shenanigans so that we won't know the real roster until game time on Thursday, especially since the Ducks aren't even within spitting distance of the salary cap upper limit to start the season. I'm not sure if you can IR a guy retroactive to the date of injury during preseason, but if so, GMBM could conceivably put Kase, Steel, Guhle and Mahura on IR retroactive to the date of their injuries (meaning they could still be activated before the first game), which would allow GMBM to kick the can down the road for two more days and keep everybody up with the Big Club until just before Thursday's warmups. Even Sprong or Carrick (I haven't seen either name on the reassignment reports yet). 

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Good very Good...Him,Jones and Steel I am interesting to see them prove their worth.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck