The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think the rosters are due at 5pm EST, so we should know pretty soon. Although, I am half-expecting GMBM to pull some of his typical opening day roster shenanigans so that we won't know the real roster until game time on Thursday, especially since the Ducks aren't even within spitting distance of the salary cap upper limit to start the season. I'm not sure if you can IR a guy retroactive to the date of injury during preseason, but if so, GMBM could conceivably put Kase, Steel, Guhle and Mahura on IR retroactive to the date of their injuries (meaning they could still be activated before the first game), which would allow GMBM to kick the can down the road for two more days and keep everybody up with the Big Club until just before Thursday's warmups. Even Sprong or Carrick (I haven't seen either name on the reassignment reports yet). 

I don't know the rule, so I'm talking out of my butt here, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone put on the preseason IR only to be activated before the first game.  I thought preseason IR was only for long-term injuries.  But again, I'm just going off of memory.

I also don't know what the reason behind that would be, other than to be a troll.  As long as the guys he's sending down are waiver-eligible, he can do a paper transaction to send them down, then recall them before game 1 and even save himself a bit of cash.

28 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know the rule, so I'm talking out of my butt here, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone put on the preseason IR only to be activated before the first game.  I thought preseason IR was only for long-term injuries.  But again, I'm just going off of memory.

I also don't know what the reason behind that would be, other than to be a troll.  As long as the guys he's sending down are waiver-eligible, he can do a paper transaction to send them down, then recall them before game 1 and even save himself a bit of cash.

Are you suggesting we may see some Ducks taking a trip to San Diego and Back again?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Are you suggesting we may see some Ducks taking a trip to San Diego and Back again?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Unlikely before Thursday. There'd no reason for any of the remaining guys to go south just for a few days of AHL training camp.

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Unlikely before Thursday. There'd no reason for any of the remaining guys to go south just for a few days of AHL training camp.

Well Ducks made Final Cuts....today. 26th Edition of the Ducks are complete

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

43 minutes ago, Fisix said:

INTERESTING!

So, they're keeping the test cases up, it seems.  

53 Max Comtois
49 Max Jones    
48 Isac Lundestrom    
24 Carter Rowney
29 Devin Shore    
34 Sam Steel*
61 Troy Terry
2 Brendan Guhle    
32 Jacob Larsson        

I mean, some of these aren't spring chickens, but they're still test cases.  I guess they're going to keep the powder dry on Sherwood, and go with the extra mass of Rowney.

That, my friends, is a super-fraking young roster.  What's our average age now?

Also... they didn't mention our two LTIR guys as even part of the discussion.  I get it, but still, sad.

ALSO - Sherwood and Mahura are the only two recognizable names that are waiver exempt and on the Gulls right now.

7BVicOvG_reasonably_small.png

We've updated the Anaheim #Ducks with their starting 22 man roster (13F-7D-2G), giving them $6,270,306 in projected cap space to start the season.

The roster also includes 4 players on IR/SOIR:
Sam Steel
Ondrej Kase
Patrick Eaves
Ryan Kesler
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

INTERESTING!

53 Max Comtois
49 Max Jones    
48 Isac Lundestrom    
24 Carter Rowney
29 Devin Shore    
34 Sam Steel*
61 Troy Terry
2 Brendan Guhle    
32 Jacob Larsson        

I mean, some of these aren't spring chickens, but they're still test cases.  I guess they're going to keep the powder dry on Sherwood, and go with the extra mass of Rowney.

Also... they didn't mention our two LTIR guys as even part of the discussion.  I get it, but still, sad.

ALSO - Sherwood and Mahura are the only two recognizable names that are waiver exempt and on the Gulls right now.

Are the ducks still doing the Jersey numbers high for those kind of on the brink and low for those that are already part of the team? 

Fantastic to see Kase hurt to start the season for the second straight year. 

I'm surprised Comtois made the roster. I don't think that he impressed enough to earn a spot in preseason. My guess is he'll go the Terry route and eventually spend the majority of the season in SD.

18 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sprong clears waivers. Good!

There must be something going on with him. He was one of our leading goal scorers last season (granted that wasn't hard but still). I think there are few teams desperate for more goals than ours. You can like or dislike his overall game but he could put it in the back of the net. The fact that he still gets waived (and goes unclaimed) says a lot.

16 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

There must be something going on with him. He was one of our leading goal scorers last season (granted that wasn't hard but still). I think there are few teams desperate for more goals than ours. You can like or dislike his overall game but he could put it in the back of the net. The fact that he still gets waived (and goes unclaimed) says a lot.

yes, it says a lot that nobody claimed him… and I think, BM wanted to trade him before he waived him...

I think, its because his defensive game which is too bad or not exist….

22 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

that says a lot of his potential...

Not really. It's really rare to see a waiver claim at this time of the year.

14 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

7BVicOvG_reasonably_small.png

We've updated the Anaheim #Ducks with their starting 22 man roster (13F-7D-2G), giving them $6,270,306 in projected cap space to start the season.

The roster also includes 4 players on IR/SOIR:
Sam Steel
Ondrej Kase
Patrick Eaves
Ryan Kesler

FYI since none of them are on LTIR yet it means all their cap hits are still active. So Anaheim has $6.27M in cap space BEFORE Eaves and Kesler get put on LTIR. We have tons of space.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nieder said:

FYI since none of them are on LTIR yet it means all their cap hits are still active. So Anaheim has $6.27M in cap space BEFORE Eaves and Kesler get put on LTIR. We have tons of space.

Yup! The Ducks also have one of the lowest payrolls in the league in terms of players on the active roster (higher than only Ottawa). For active players, the total salary is less than $60M. That's actually less than the salary cap lower limit. Hard to tell if GMBM is just trying to even out the Perry buy-out and Kesler LTIR, or if there just isn't anything out there that he thinks is worth spending money on right now.

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

About 26.1 according to my rushed calculations, not including Kesler and Eaves.

I haven't seen the stats for this season but I believe there were only 3-4 teams with an average age lower than 26 last season. So we likely one of the top-5 youngest teams in the league.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

INTERESTING!

53 Max Comtois
49 Max Jones    
48 Isac Lundestrom    
24 Carter Rowney
29 Devin Shore    
34 Sam Steel*
61 Troy Terry
2 Brendan Guhle    
32 Jacob Larsson        

Looks Like it...FIRED UP FOR THE Ducks to be UNLEASHED WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

From the NHL Hockey Operations Guidelines:

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.

Players on Injured Reserve may attend Club meetings and meals, travel with the Club and participate in practice sessions.

So I think the reasoning for IR/SOIR for Kase and Steel would be to allow more players to stay in Anaheim for practice, meetings, film study, etc. If a guy is sent down to the AHL, I believe they have to report to the AHL team within 24 hours. They can't just stay with the big club and keep participating in all those team activities. That would violate the spirit of the CBA.

But again, my question here is whether IR can be retroactive to the injury date that happens during preseason. If they count seven days from yesterday (Tuesday), the final roster decisions seems bit odd since Kase is on IR and Sprong and Sherwood have been sent to San Diego. That leaves only Terry and Silf available for 3 top-9 RW spots (with Rowney likely as the 4th line RW) while they have Rakell, Ritchie, Jones, Comtois, Shore and Deslauriers available for LW duty. Maybe Shore gets moved over to RW to fill a spot there. Or, my hunch is that one of Kase or Sprong will actually be in the lineup on opening night, and another waivers-exempt kid gets sent down at the last moment. It'll be Kase if IR is retroactive to the preseason injury date. Sprong if not. Recalling Sprong actually makes some sense too, since he has now cleared waivers he can be sent back down again to San Diego for the next 30 days without having to go through waivers again.

Edited by dtsdlaw

6 of the Ducks Prospects are on the Opening Night roster...Let it sink in we may see some Energy LOTS OF ENERGY in this team....Fighting Spirit I call it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Fantastic to see Kase hurt to start the season for the second straight year. 

I'm surprised Comtois made the roster. I don't think that he impressed enough to earn a spot in preseason. My guess is he'll go the Terry route and eventually spend the majority of the season in SD.

Eakins confirmed in Eric Stephens' piece for The Athletic that Kase will be available on Thursday.  He speculated that both Steel and Kase would be activated on Thursday and they'd send Lundestrom down to San Diego.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Eakins confirmed in Eric Stephens' piece for The Athletic that Kase will be available on Thursday.  He speculated that both Steel and Kase would be activated on Thursday and they'd send Lundestrom down to San Diego.

Kase should do great under Eakins system. 30+ goals 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Stephens also mentioned in the comments section that it’ll be Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase to start. Steel is ready to go and he’ll be centering Rakell and Silfvy. I would assume that means Henrique and Terry together on the 3rd line with one of Comtois, Jones or Shore on LW. 

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Stephens also mentioned in the comments section that it’ll be Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase to start. Steel is ready to go and he’ll be centering Rakell and Silfvy. I would assume that means Henrique and Terry together on the 3rd line with one of Comtois, Jones or Shore on LW. 

I know it seems like we say it every year but I honestly feel like this is Rich Boi's last chance. He's getting younger guys pushing him out of the lineup. I hope we really worked this summer because if there ever was a year where his career is threatened I think it might be this one. Think about it, if he doesn't stick here he might get a shot elsewhere. Maybe that would help him or maybe he more likely ends up like beleskey or Smith-Pelly... as in he's basically out of this league. Pat Maroon had a somewhat difficult time finding a place to play even after that playoffs. To me Richie isn't much, if at all, better than Patty. He's got to really show something worth keeping him around. At 10th overall, he hasn't lived up to being that pick....

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think it makes a lot of sense to put Terry on Henrique's line, since Terry is more of a distributor/playmaker and Henrique isn't.  Either Jones or Comtois should work well on that line.  However, Kase and Getzlaf both like to hold onto the puck.  I don't think those two have worked well together in the past.  We'll see how it goes.  If Sprong could play one iota of defense, he could score 30 goals on Getzlaf's wing.

Has anyone seen an announcement yet about which players will get an “A” on their sweaters? I can’t find anything.

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think it makes a lot of sense to put Terry on Henrique's line, since Terry is more of a distributor/playmaker and Henrique isn't.  Either Jones or Comtois should work well on that line.  However, Kase and Getzlaf both like to hold onto the puck.  I don't think those two have worked well together in the past.  We'll see how it goes.  If Sprong could play one iota of defense, he could score 30 goals on Getzlaf's wing.

I was hoping to see Eakins load up the top-6 with players who have a solid history of playing well together in the past, and then run a full "kid line" out there out there as the 3rd scoring line. I thought the Ritchie-Henrique-Kase line worked great last season when all were healthy, and since Raks has shown great chemistry in the past with Getz (i.e. multiple 30+ goal seasons) and has already shown some great chemistry with Silf, I was hoping for a 67-15-33 top line, with Silf helping to take some defensive pressure off his captain. IMO, Silf also has 25-30 goal potential with a pass-first center (which Kesler was not) and it would be fun to see him getting his lightning-quick shot off with Getzy feeding him the puck through traffic. A 3rd line of Jones/Comtois-Steel/Lundy-Terry seems like it would be a really fun, energetic kid line too - one that could push the veteran lines to skate harder by threatening to take their ice time. 

Oh well. I'm excited either way to see what this team can do. I'll have low expectations for tonight's opener with the new faces and new system, but in three weeks I will be very disappointed if this team doesn't look significantly better than last season.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Has anyone seen an announcement yet about which players will get an “A” on their sweaters? I can’t find anything.

I'm guessing Fowler and either Rakell or Henrique.

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'm guessing Fowler and either Rakell or Henrique.

I'll be floored if Rakell is a captain. Fowler is a maybe since GMBM is so emotionally attached to him. Maybe Henrique too, but I think he's less likely than Silfverberg.

btw, Manson and Silf were picked for the final preseason game, which is usually treated as a dress rehearsal for the season opener.

Edited by dtsdlaw

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

why Fowler?

Primarily because he has been an Alternate in the past.  Also seniority.  I think he's now the longest Duck on roster outside of Getzlaf.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'll be floored if Rakell is a captain. Fowler is a maybe since GMBM is so emotionally attached to him. Maybe Henrique too, but I think he's less likely than Silfverberg.

btw, Manson and Silf were picked for the final preseason game, which is usually treated as a dress rehearsal for the season opener.

Yeah. Manson was a permanent 'A' last season. And Murray was speaking about Silf taking a leadership role when he re-signed him last season. I think its them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I was hoping to see Eakins load up the top-6 with players who have a solid history of playing well together in the past, and then run a full "kid line" out there out there as the 3rd scoring line. I thought the Ritchie-Henrique-Kase line worked great last season when all were healthy, and since Raks has shown great chemistry in the past with Getz (i.e. multiple 30+ goal seasons) and has already shown some great chemistry with Silf, I was hoping for a 67-15-33 top line, with Silf helping to take some defensive pressure off his captain. IMO, Silf also has 25-30 goal potential with a pass-first center (which Kesler was not) and it would be fun to see him getting his lightning-quick shot off with Getzy feeding him the puck through traffic. A 3rd line of Jones/Comtois-Steel/Lundy-Terry seems like it would be a really fun, energetic kid line too - one that could push the veteran lines to skate harder by threatening to take their ice time. 

Oh well. I'm excited either way to see what this team can do. I'll have low expectations for tonight's opener with the new faces and new system, but in three weeks I will be very disappointed if this team doesn't look significantly better than last season.

I won’t really be worried unless they are inconsistent and really floundering by the end of November/early December. I thought they could come out strong but then saw their schedule for the month of October. It’s pretty tough, so now I can see them struggling as they try and figure things out. As long as there is a progressive cohesion as the season goes along then I’ll be content even if it doesn’t show up in the standings.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke