The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

57 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I won’t really be worried unless they are inconsistent and really floundering by the end of November/early December. I thought they could come out strong but then saw their schedule for the month of October. It’s pretty tough, so now I can see them struggling as they try and figure things out. As long as there is a progressive cohesion as the season goes along then I’ll be content even if it doesn’t show up in the standings.

Honestly, I'm just looking for a team that's playing consistently better hockey.  I am okay with some lapses as long as we see potential from the kids and a return to effectiveness from the veterans.  If they're possessing the puck more and breaking out from the defensive zone better and not running around on defense like proverbial headless chickens, I'll be happy, even if they're losing more than they're winning.  

I always hope for the playoffs, and this year's no exception, but my expectations for this team are pretty low.  I'll be happy with progress.

• Like 1

Last Night was impress with some of the lines...Surprise though Manson and Silfverberg were named Alt Captains.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/3/2019 at 3:43 PM, Fisix said:

I hear you on all that, but I think there may be a bit of staleness of the RR, RG teaming, and I think there's legitimate concern that a full kid line would get worked over physically (they get worked over individually a lot).  It's a little conservative to sprinkle them around with vets, but with Corey gone, I think it's time for some experimental shake ups.

The best would be if this indicates more of a willingness to run the team according to a - you play if you earn your spot over the other guy - metric (up to waiver restrictions), and more like we have at least 3 equal-quality lines, rather than 2 top heavy lines and 2 lines of scrubs and newbs.  The downside is that it means everyone is going to have to work harder during their shifts, especially if our opponents put all their offensive eggs in one basket.

I'm probably not articulating that in the most diplomatic way possible... the point is that we may be trying to run a "real" 4 line system with what we got.  Something like that would make a lot of sense.  The youngsters need minutes, and if we lumped them into ONLY the 3rd and 4th (RC-style) lines, they'd get all of 3-5 minutes a game and end up skill-regressing from whatever level they're at now. 

Disagree here. Go back and look at the game logs for Getz and Pears from their rookie seasons. They developed just fine playing bottom-6 minutes together. And that was in RC’s system, where Pears was often relegated to 7-8 mins of TOI. In this system, getting 12-14 mins of sheltered ice time would do them wonders IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Disagree here. Go back and look at the game logs for Getz and Pears from their rookie seasons. They developed just fine playing bottom-6 minutes together. And that was in RC’s system, where Pears was often relegated to 7-8 mins of TOI. In this system, getting 12-14 mins of sheltered ice time would do them wonders IMO.

Agree I mean it's important to give them some mins to contribute and as each game pass we can see Young Ducks earn more mins as the season continues. Nothing wrong to start them in minor mins of TOI before giving them more duties to contribute to the Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

59 minutes ago, Fisix said:

They succeeded in spite of RC because they were great. And, RC wasn’t as bad as he is of late. Did anyone else get past RC bottom 6 min dog minutes?  Also - 7-8 min is it what RC has been doing for the past years he’s been with the ducks. More like 3-5. 

Yes, but RC is not here anymore. It’s a moot point. So I’m just not seeing why it would be bad to give the kids 10-12 sheltered mins per game this season until the prove they can handle more. 

19 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yes, but RC is not here anymore. It’s a moot point. So I’m just not seeing why it would be bad to give the kids 10-12 sheltered mins per game this season until the prove they can handle more. 

Only time will tell when the season progress...in the mean time I am eager to see Ducks Youth live in person when I arrive in 8 days.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

11 hours ago, Fisix said:

I don’t see how we’re disagreeing.

they aren’t sheltered now, and they’re getting decent minutes. Correct? 

Maybe I'm misreading your posts, but I interpreted them to be an objection to my suggestion that the kids (Jones/Comtois-Steel/Lundy-Terry) should play together on a heavily sheltered 3rd/4th line (like Getz/Pears mostly did when they came up) rather than sprinkling them throughout the lineup. Specifically, I read your objection as being that the kids wouldn't get enough minutes that way. I countered that I thought they would still get their minutes because Randy Carlyle is not our bench boss anymore and that 10-12 mins together even in a sheltered role would be great for their development (both individually and as a unit). As it stands, they're getting those 12-14 minutes, but HCDE is having to shuffle line mates to protect them in various situations. I'm not convinced that's the right strategy for the veterans to have rookies shuffling on and off their lines depending on the situation. I also don't like that 33 and 67 have a total of 3 shots each through the first two games. Rakell and Silf have been ranked 1-2 the past two seasons in total shots for this team, but through two games this season (yes, I know its only two games) they haven't looked dangerous in the O-zone at all. Playing the team's two top shooters with rookie centers just seems like a flawed strategy to me. I'd rather have our two top shooters playing with a veteran center who can get the puck to them in scoring positions.

This is nitpicking right now though. The team looks light years better than last year already. I just hope they can keep it up on the road... and over an 82-game grind.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

Taking over on the first line again ? 

Hope so.  Ritchie sitting again?  (really hoping on that one...)

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

ok, thanks for re-righting my ship, i was getting lost in the terminology.  

we both agree that more minutes is better, and after these first two games, i think we agree that Eakins seems to want each line to carry a roughly equal load (good for many many reasons), and he's rolling them so that they do.

i also agree that whatever is going on with Silf and RR is a little worrisome... but I've chalked it up to the other team always rolling their shutdown line against them (and us letting it happen, to purposefully tire out their shutdown line), so that the RR/Silf line stats were going to reflect that.  I think Eakins is running a rope a dope with that line, currently, which leaves our other lines room to score.  When the other teams adjust later in the season, we'll adjust too and that line might come alive.  It might be forced once we play away.

However, I think I still disagree on the base point - I would not like to have the rooks all on one line.  First, because they are often getting worked physically when they're out on the ice, and they are relying on their veteran teammates (and the refs so-far generally looking the other way when the rooks take it upon themselves to retaliate) to keep the plays rolling.  Second, because I don't think there is such a thing as a sheltered line in the NHL, and I think even with Eakins predisposition to roll roughly even TsOI, he'd probably be forced to play them less minutes than they're getting now (maybe much less), and there's all kinds of motivation risks involved in that.  Aside from those two reasons, there's also the question of what happens to the D-line and Gibson if the rooks are out there without muscle/aged grit to protect the crease.

I think the quickest and safest (for them and the team) way forward with their training and development, as NHL players, is to distribute them.

Agree to disagree on that.

For the first bolded, I think its too early to tell. We've only had two games, and both were at home and we led both for the entirety of the 3rd period. Since HCDE has last change at home, he is better able to control match ups, which makes it easier to roll all four lines. Also, since the Ducks were protecting a lead rather than chasing in both games, that also allowed HCDE to lessen the use of Getzlaf, Rakell, Henrique and the other veteran scorers and overuse the defensively sound Grantzlaf/Rowney line to help salt it away. So I'm going to wait to agree on this until I see how the TOI shakes out on the road and if/when we don't play full 3rd periods holding a lead.

For the second bolded, I just didn't see that against the Sharks. That line saw hardly any of Vlasic, who is their #1 shut-down defender. And as far as I know, the Sharks don't really have a true shut-down forward line. The shift charts also seem to indicate that they played against pretty much everyone in that game, with no real systematic deployment by HCDE against anyone in particular. 

Agree to disagree on the rest though. I guess we'll see how this roadie goes. We play an uber-talented Penguins team that can load up their top-6 with exceptional talent, a Jackets team that can play pretty physical and mean, and a Boston team that does both. Hopefully the sprinkling of rookies across the forward lines won't be exploited too much.

• Like 1

After 2 games Ducks are 2-0....and I see the first line being Comtois-Getzlaf-Silfverberg....Besides Max has ALOT to Prove to us all.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

FYI Max Comtois will be left out of the lineup for Ducks Battle vs Detroit tonite according to OCRegister.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/7/2019 at 5:42 PM, Fisix said:

Hmm.  I guess we know why FrenchyD is low on time, but what about Lundestrom?

Henrique  14:27
Getzlaf  15:29
Deslauriers  11:06
Rowney  16:13
Kase 14:22
Shore  14:26
Silfverberg  17:11
Grant  17:33
Lundestrom  11:02
Jones  13:31
Terry  12:04
Rakell  17:13
Guhle  18:50
Fowler  18:55
Larsson  15:23
Manson  23:39
Del Zotto  15:33
Lindholm  25:08

Lundestrom with another 11 minute game. Kid isn’t ready for the big show. He needs more time in the A.

And of course, first time HCDE puts 67-15-33 together against Detroit.... goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lundestrom with another 11 minute game. Kid isn’t ready for the big show. He needs more time in the A.

think the same, last season he showed some promises. but I think also, he needs some time in the AHL. try with Comtois...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

And of course, first time HCDE puts 67-15-33 together against Detroit.... goal.

That shift with Jones-Getz-Terry was an absolute trainwreck however.

12 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

think the same, last season he showed some promises. but I think also, he needs some time in the AHL. try with Comtois...

Until Steel is healthy again, I would rather see Shore moved into the middle between two rookies on a 4th line and the Pahlsson Grantzlaf checking line treated as a 3rd line. But maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic...

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Lundestrom and Ritchie still pretty low.  D Lines are pretty even!

A. Henrique  14:54
R. Getzlaf  17:42
C. Rowney  13:08
O.Kase  14:25
D. Shore  13:41
J. Silfverberg  18:37
N. Ritchie  12:09
D. Grant  15:32
I. Lundestrom  11:36
M. Jones  15:20
T. Terry  14:19
R. Rakell  19:51

B. Guhle  17:43
C. Fowler  20:14
J. Larsson  17:03
J. Manson  19:04
M. Del Zotto  19:39
H. Lindholm  20:47

12 minutes for ritchie is 12 minutes too much...

16 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

12 minutes for ritchie is 12 minutes too much...

Nope I think it's well deserve and He contribute during those 12 mins.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

Primarily because he has been an Alternate in the past.  Also seniority.  I think he's now the longest Duck on roster outside of Getzlaf.

Apparently he was not chosen. Seniority did not help. The management and players recognized the lack of leadership skills, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Until Steel is healthy again, I would rather see Shore moved into the middle between two rookies on a 4th line and the Pahlsson Grantzlaf checking line treated as a 3rd line. But maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic...

I'm no fan of Shore but to be fair he has looked pretty good in these first 3 games.

9 hours ago, Fisix said:

Fowler had 0 SH TOI as did Guhle. Manson and Lindholm with the majority.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Fowler had 0 SH TOI as did Guhle. Manson and Lindholm with the majority.

This might be difficult to keep up when the team takes more than 2 penalties in a game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fisix said:

last year, 4th liners rarely played more than 10 minutes.

I dunno guys...should we be concerned about Manson? I know it's just been 4 games...but looking back to last season, too...and to a lesser extent, Lindholm, too? I dunno...I know last season wasn't very good for anyone's stats...but I guess, a few seasons ago these guys just looked like they were gonna be monsters and they seem to have just declined.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I dunno guys...should we be concerned about Manson? I know it's just been 4 games...but looking back to last season, too...and to a lesser extent, Lindholm, too? I dunno...I know last season wasn't very good for anyone's stats...but I guess, a few seasons ago these guys just looked like they were gonna be monsters and they seem to have just declined.

The problem isn't with 42/47, it's with our forward group (a) not sustaining enough pressure in the O-zone, (b) not back-checking well enough, and (c) not giving the defenders enough time and space to move the puck up ice. Sure, there have been mistakes on the back end. But the forward group simply isn't doing enough to keep the pressure off the defense. And last season was 10X worse, with all the forwards (except Silf) playing at 50% effort for the first 65 games. Get the forward group to do it's job and 42/47 will be just fine IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The problem isn't with 42/47, it's with our forward group (a) not sustaining enough pressure in the O-zone, (b) not back-checking well enough, and (c) not giving the defenders enough time and space to move the puck up ice. Sure, there have been mistakes on the back end. But the forward group simply isn't doing enough to keep the pressure off the defense. And last season was 10X worse, with all the forwards (except Silf) playing at 50% effort for the first 65 games. Get the forward group to do it's job and 42/47 will be just fine IMO.

oh, you know that does make a lot of sense. Makes me think we're missing kesler more than we truly realized. I agree that last season 10x worse....do you think our forward group is capable of that? Is it just more a matter of time/experience/getting use to each other that just needs to be worked out?

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

it's really too early to tell.  but, Josh seemed out of sorts yesterday, and we seemed to be reverting to some old bad habits.  i kinda wonder why Holzer was in for that game.

Manson did seem out of sorts...specifically that 2nd pens goal...now, I'm not trying to really blame Manson for Crosby being Crosby...but I didn't feel like Manson was being Manson...anyway, back to forwards...Ritchie buries that one chance he had...and Silf/Rakell appear a little more relevant...this could have been a win. I'm not too concerned with 67/33 actually...but they have mostly seemed quiet so far.