The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

33 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I'm not sure why we played Ritchie and Holzer over FrenchyD and DelZ.  We might have been looking past the Pens, thinking they were too injured to put up a strong game, and maybe we were saving them for tonight?  But then, why play Gibby over Miller?

Weird selection metrics, but I suppose they're also selecting players to see how they play against certain opponents.  I guess.  I'm going to stop thinking about it so I don't get grumpy.

haha well, playing Gibby over Miller is an obvious one to me. Put your best goalie against the best player in the world. He's from Pittsburgh.

Ritchie scored the game winning goal in the previous game...to scratch him after that would be bad management. That sends a really bad message. To scratch him tonight would be similar; he made a great pass to Kase. Ritchie isn't going to be scratched.

Holzer over DelZ...well, you've got me on this one lol I've been very happy with DelZ!

On a side note, i've also been very impressed by Shore so far. Shore and Guhlie have been my positive surprises so far!

4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

For tonight's game:

A. Henrique  17:20
R. Getzlaf  15:13
N. Deslauriers  10:23
C. Rowney  15:01
O.Kase 15:50
D. Shore  12:46
J. Silfverberg  17:51
N. Ritchie  13:29
D. Grant  17:45
M. Comtois  11:26
T. Terry  9:54
R. Rakell  17:02

C. Fowler  18:53
K. Holzer  16:55
J. Larsson  17:48
J. Manson  22:58
M. Del Zotto  18:42
H. Lindholm  23:00

Lindy and Manson taking the brunt tonight.  Getz low, for him.  FrenchyD and TT LOW, along with MaxC.  Fairly low for Ritchie and Shore.

These numbers look a bit weird.  I'll check again later to see if they didn't get all the TOI for the forwards.  I think they sometimes go back and correct the stats.

Happy to see some of the Ducks contributing...Larsson had Assist while Comtois had a 1 SOG I though he did well in his season debut.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Seems that Boston was dictating more of the line shifts last night:

Kase's time up big.  Rowney is probably down because of the weird injury/run into the boards.  Not sure what the deal is with Grant.  Ritchie, Steel, and Jones TOIs are probably collateral damage with Grant and Rowney.  Max and TT have some good numbers.  Getz really shouldn't have the highest TOI of all the forwards.

Fowler and DZ time up big.  I like the evenness of the rest, but it's a little weird that Lind and Manson are as relatively low as they are.  I didn't see Holzer be directly the cause of a goal, and I saw him make some good D plays... so D is what it is, probably dictated by power plays and opponent shift choices.  We'd like to shift Goolie in soon.

Getz probably getting too much TOI because HCDE decided to dress four rookie forwards in a game on the road against the defending Eastern conference champions. He basically forced Getz into heavier minutes by having too many kids in the lineup against a very good team that plays both fast and heavy. Shore should have been in for that game, with either Comtois or Jones sitting. I'm not a huge Shore guy, but he's the better choice in that situation for his versatility (can play all three forward positions, PK, and is decent in F/Os) and to add a more veteran presence to the lines. His presence on the Grantzlaf line could have kept it in the rotation and lowered some of the burden on Getzlaf. He also could have moved up the lines if HCDE wanted to shorten the bench to play catchup. No offense to Jones or Comtois (because I love both guys) but against Boston, gimme the versatile 25-year-old with 34 career NHL goals over two rookies with only 2 career NHL goals each.

IMO, HCDE is trying too hard to get his Gulls ice time rather than letting them earn their time. I didn't see this game, but just looking at the shift charts it appears that Cassidy had a pretty easy time getting the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line out in the exact matchups he wanted, because with the watered down lines and too many rookies sprinkled across the lines there was no need to match his 4-time Selke winner against the Ducks' diluted top-6. It sounds like the team played reasonably well (after the first period) given the circumstances, but the game logs sure make it look like Cassidy had a significant tactical advantage in line matching for the full 60 minutes. If HCDE doesn't figure out a way to let his best players be his best players, this is going to turn into a season-long problem and this team is going to have a very hard time scoring on the road.

Edited by dtsdlaw

Scoring is going to be an issue.  I wonder if there is a way to get Sprong back into the lineup.  Dude can score.

I have such a hard watching 37 blunder his way through each game.  Some of his passes missed the target by a wide margin in the Boston game.

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

We'd like to shift Goolie in soon

Yes, 100% yes!

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Shore should have been in for that game

Completely agree! Him and Ghulie have impressed me a lot this season. Shore I think has quietly been one of our more solid forwards.

1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

I wonder if there is a way to get Sprong back into the lineup.  Dude can score

Yeah, same. I'm sure something is going on though for why he keeps not being with the NHL....attitude maybe??

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Sprong needs to stay down until we bring him up for a long period of time, unless we're willing to risk waivers up and down.

dtsdlaw - i think he's maxing their time up top to experiment rather than ensure points.  he's trying to get a good sample space, and Shore is a known stat (pretty much).  i'm not sure why he'd have to play getz so much if hank, silf, and RR are available.  shrug.  plus, he could have spelled Getz a bit more with Grant.  anyway, something was being done, just not sure exactly what, or why.  Grant's time was so low that I wonder if he's hiding a gimp as well, or if they're pushing really hard to find consistent linemates for Getz.

Sprong cleared waivers on 10/1, so he has 30 days from that date or 10 NHL games before he would have to go through waivers again. If the Ducks wanted to, they could bring him up to play now and for the next 7 games without needing to send him through waivers before sending him back to San Diego. That's a big "if" though, since it doesn't look like he's playing at that well in San Diego right now either.

And if HCDE is just maxing their time as an experiment, he is both risking the rookies' development and his relationship with his veterans. Outside of Max Jones' lone secondary assist in the first game of the year, the rookies (Jones, Terry, Steel, Comtois, and Lundestrom) have combined for ZERO points so far this season. That is not good for their confidence, collectively or individually. And the more HCDE uses them in important situations over veterans like Shore, Grant, Rowney, etc. he risks losing the room. That locker room has a lot of talented veteran players who want to win, not be used as a rookie experiment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fisix said:

It depends on what has been communicated to the players in question, and whether they buy into the idea that team development comes before individual stats.

i think the coaching staff have been up front with the players, and i think DE's put a premium on performance (you earn your spot), but has elected not to be schizoid about it and move them around on a game by game basis, rather based on their performance over a set period of time.  The only player of Shore, Grant, and Rowney that have lost out, at all, is Shore, and if that loses him the room, then we might as well go scrape RC off the curb.     

further, giving the rooks an opportunity to acclimate to the NHL, over a period of time and not just a game here and a game there, is much more positive for their development than the alternatives (that we have available).  

Jones has a point, and the group has some shooters, so i think your evaluation is a little incomplete.  their collective +- is funky, but look at them play and how they interact with each other, their teammates, and with other NHL players on the ice... they believe they deserve to be there, and they're excited to be there, with each other, gutting it out.  i think their expectations and development are being managed well.

overall - remember how big a step this is away from what's gone before, under both RC and BB.  RC might let them die on the vine, and BB might chaotically mix and match lines (which by the way, always seemed a little like an underhanded way to blame the players for a poor game strategy), but that's not Eakins.  The kids know how he works and I bet they all know what's expected (and it isn't going to be perfection).  I think keeping them up long enough for them to see what they need to work on (which absolutely takes a couple games), THEN sending them down to work on that stuff where they have room to do so, makes a lot of sense, if you're looking at blocks of 1/5 to 1/4 of the season at a time, and not 3-4 games (or worse, 1-2 games) at a time.  I mean, we're not even 10 games in, and you want to send them down because they didn't own Boston?

We'll see how long he experiments (we lost one today), but i don't think it makes sense to banish the lot of them after just 6 games.  He'll give them at least some time to figure stuff out, then (I think) he'll cycle through Sherwood and some of the others down in the Gulls to give them a shot.  at least, i hope he cycles Sherwood up.

Sprong and waivers - we are 6 games in, there are 8 games left in October.  Maybe Sprong replaces Lundestrom for the rest of October, then gets sent down before the waivers thing kicks in again?  I think I may rather Sherwood come up, if the lines fit.  I just don't think they want to move people up and down a lot this first month, and I don't think they'll want to risk waivers that often with Sprong (always depending on how well he's playing). 

It was interesting what Max said during the tv interview last night.  He lauded Boston for having that 6th sense about where their linemates would be, having played together a long time, etc.  That sounds like both an observation AND and team goal for the future (players, especially young ones, tend to regurgitate or at least paraphrase what the coach has been saying in the locker room).  

Too much to unpack here for a complete response, but:

1. I don't see how my preference to health scratch either Jones or Comtois in favor of Shore against Boston amounts to "banishing the lot of them". I'm mostly in favor of keeping all of the current rookies up with the big club (although if Terry continues to post donuts on the scoresheet, I'd consider sending him down and recalling Sherwood), but my thing is I just want to see HCDE dial down their minutes and expectations. Terry, Jones and Comtois clearly aren't ready for top-6 roles. If they can start producing some results, then HCDE can expand their roles. But the current plan isn't working IMO.

2. I think HCDE has absolutely been "schizoid" about moving guys around. Fans complained about BB's line shuffling, but HCDE's line blender for the forward lines has been set to high since game 2. It's far worse than BB ever was, and as a result there is no continuity there at all. People are currently cracking on Getzlaf's play, but take a look at the winger rotation he has been forced to deal with. Last game, he took at least one regular E/S shift with seven different wingers (even Steel was moved up to his LW at one point), and that's not even counting when he plays 15-20 seconds with other wingers during an overlap on line changes. Hard to believe, but the only wingers he didn't take a regular shift with were Rakell and Silfvy! It's been a pretty consistent turnover for Getzlaf since the start of the season too. Find me another #1C anywhere in the league who has to deal with that kind of rotation on his wings. [Hint: there isn't one.] I really do hope that the Captain is on board with it, because it sure doesn't seem fair to ask your 34-year-old #1C to deal with that kind of uncertainty and inconsistency on literally a shift to shift basis. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Here we go from last night, and there are some surprises.  The numbers for the Forwards look too low to be accurate, I think, though maybe with the penalties...

A. Henrique  15:19
R. Getzlaf 1  15:23
C. Rowney  12:39
O.Kase  13:56
J. Silfverberg  18:00
S. Steel  14:35
N. Ritchie  8:19
D. Grant  15:11
M. Jones  12:09
M. Comtois  12:11
T. Terry  14:03
R. Rakell  17:43

C. Fowler  19:49
K. Holzer  16:58
J. Larsson  16:37
J. Manson  21 :06
M. Del Zotto  19:57
H. Lindholm  20:44

For the D, pretty understandable that Holzer and Larsson are relatively low.

For the Forwards:  Silf and RR are high, which is a good thing for them and for the team.  Hank and Getz are tied, and that's good for Getz, but I think Hank would have been up closer to Silf/RR if he hadn't had that injury/equipment issue where he was gone from the bench for a bit.  I thought he had a strong game, but he was definitely piddleed off at the refs and the opponents a lot.  I like seeing him play angry - he's sharper and gets past players more often - but he needs that grit without the emotional... burden?

Grant had a great game, minutes show he's being reliable I think.  Kase, TT, Steel are all in the same boat, which is down for Kase, but maybe he needs a little bit of a spell.  Steel had a good game, I thought, and man, I wish that goal had counted.  

Rowney, Jones, and Max are all sort of scraping by, but I thought they did well against the lines they went up against.

Ritchie... his minutes are low partially because of the penalties, but I wonder if they're also low because he couldn't control himself well.  Is it time for him to sit a game?

Sit ritchie?  Please.

If there's a dumb penalty to take, he's it.

I‘m impressed what a coach change can do.

I said to my friend before the season, we can be last or first this season... but for first I believe we are too thin on defense. 

And Lindholm and especially Manson must play better. They are paid too much for what they shows.

Holzer and Del Zotto plays good , especially for their price. 

Terry since 2-3 games he brings the puck in the offense zone, what I like to see, more confidence he has. Yesterday all young forwards I liked. Comtois is dangerous, but Steel and Jones maybe must also take an other step. 

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I‘m impressed what a coach change can do.

I said to my friend before the season, we can be last or first this season... but for first I believe we are too thin on defense. 

And Lindholm and especially Manson must play better. They are paid too much for what they shows.

Holzer and Del Zotto plays good , especially for their price. 

Terry since 2-3 games he brings the puck in the offense zone, what I like to see, more confidence he has. Yesterday all young forwards I liked. Comtois is dangerous, but Steel and Jones maybe must also take an other step. 

Lindholm and Manson have been very inconsistent...some have said it's more due to the lack of experience of the forwards that's causing them to look so bad. I can see that. I like how Manson seems to be bringing his physical game back. I'm hoping they work this out...

But Im just beaming with joy from what ive been seeing...even in the losses. even in the bad periods. this team looks strong and is showing a bright future. We still dont have that "finisher" but thats ok right now. Maybe Zegras can be that. Or someone turns into that.

Im super curious to see if this is a level they can stay at and not burn out -- how long can all these young guys keep it up??? and can they get better and more competitive through out the season????

And also! it's actually sort of nice we arent with one of those superstars (or more) like a Laine or Marner or Matthews or Nylander...right now we dont exactly have any young guys shinning so bright they will be commanding a crazy pay increase anytime soon. I like what they are showing us! dont get me wrong, im not trying to say they dont deserve to be paid well...but right now to keep this forward group together we wont be looking at players demanding anything above silf or rico really. i wouldn't think at least. and thats great! it will be easier to keep them together for longer!

• Like 3

Ducks exceeding my expectations so far. It's nice to see our "old" guys Henrique and Silfverberg showing some leadership and scoring goals; Holzer and Del Zotto playing well, considering their price; ever Fowler finally started to chip in. Keep doing the good job, guys.

My concern though is going thru December and January; historically Ducks slow down at this time of the year, but hopefully it won't happen this season.

Jonathan Ericsson, Luca Sbisa Placed On Waivers

OCTOBER 22, 2019 AT 11:08 AM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE LEAVE A COMMENT

According to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the Detroit Red Wings have placed Jonathan Ericsson on waivers. That must mean he’s healthy enough to return, given he has been on injured reserve all season. Luca Sbisa has also been placed on waivers, and Friedman reports that he’ll be signing with the Anaheim Ducks after skating with the New York Islanders on a professional tryout.

so, i only got to watch the first 2 periods....and radioed the 3rd.... but do we think DE is able to adapt his game mid-game to help spark the team?? i mean, i know this would mean line-juggling which has its own cons...and also this whole season is basically a feeling out season...but...i dunno....what do you guys think? maybe there was some mid-game stuff that i didnt notice. obviously when we're winning its fine...but if we are losing...i feel mid-game changes could help at a certain point?? *shrug*

i will say with this consistency of ritchie on the getzlaf line...it really confirms that ritchie really isnt going to be the goal scorer we need...not that we have (m)any finishers on this team...but we can give getz better wingers...slot silf or rakell into those same chances ritchie had last night...those are probably goals. or rico. or someone else. maybe even terry! or jones!

Anyone here have issue with MDZ-Holzer Pairing...? Watching the 3 games live last week in Anaheim. I though they did well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

26 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Anyone here have issue with MDZ-Holzer Pairing...? Watching the 3 games live last week in Anaheim. I though they did well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Some people here have an issue with [insert name]-Holzer pairing, so my guess is the answer will be "yes". :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Some people here have an issue with [insert name]-Holzer pairing, so my guess is the answer will be "yes". :lol:

Max Jones should be in the lineup...for this week.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Max Jones should be in the lineup...for this week.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I don't understand why Max is not playing. Isn't the whole idea this season to give the kids some games? It looked like he was starting to find his feet and then bam, Eakins gives him the healthy scratch for 2 games in a row.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I don't understand why Max is not playing. Isn't the whole idea this season to give the kids some games? It looked like he was starting to find his feet and then bam, Eakins gives him the healthy scratch for 2 games in a row.

Are we sure he's healthy?  He went out for a while in the Canes game.  He came back, but he might be nursing something.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Guhle, Jones and Comtois back in tonight according to Eric Stephens

lets hope Guhle continues to impress (me)!!!

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Are we sure he's healthy?  He went out for a while in the Canes game.  He came back, but he might be nursing something.

That's what I was thinking.....He must be nursing something...Perhaps it was for precaution. During the Canes Game he seem to shake it off from my pov.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• The Anaheim Ducks acquired Erik Gudbranson today from the Pittsburgh Penguins, perhaps in part due to the fact that Josh Manson has been placed on injured reserve. He’ll be joined there by Ondrej Kase, with both players out for at least the next two games. The Ducks say a further update will be given next week, but those are two very important players to lose for a pair of weekend tilts against the Colorado Avalanche and Vegas Golden Knights.
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
  • The Anaheim Ducks acquired Erik Gudbranson today from the Pittsburgh Penguins, perhaps in part due to the fact that Josh Manson has been placed on injured reserve. He’ll be joined there by Ondrej Kase, with both players out for at least the next two games. The Ducks say a further update will be given next week, but those are two very important players to lose for a pair of weekend tilts against the Colorado Avalanche and Vegas Golden Knights.

It's blow to our Team and the core group...Aquiring Gudbranson was stop gap measure.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

55 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Max Jones sent down to the Gulls. Definitely think that he could use some time there. Would be very happy if they waived Delauriers and brought up Sherwood.

He’s been struggling so far with the big club saw this coming g 

8 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Max Jones sent down to the Gulls. Definitely think that he could use some time there. Would be very happy if they waived Delauriers and brought up Sherwood.

Does this mean Kase is ready? Hope so.

14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hope so too....Then again we must wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

According to Kyle Shohara, Kase isn't in the lineup tonight. Hopefully, he didn't have any setbacks and will be back this week.

Delauriers in the lineup again 🤮

22 minutes ago, Fisix said:

So, TOI totals (sorted by average TOI/game):

Nicolas Deslauriers    66    9:29
Isac Lundestrom        34    11:15
Devin Shore        118    11:50
Max Jones        152    12:39
Carter Rowney        207    12:56
Troy Terry        215    13:27
Derek Grant        222    13:54
Nick Ritchie        196    13:59
Max Comtois        156    14:11
Ondrej Kase        164    14:53
Sam Steel        184    15:22
Josh Mahura        50    16:46
Adam Henrique        269    16:47
Jacob Larsson        258    17:11
Korbinian Holzer    228    17:30
Ryan Getzlaf        287    17:56
Rickard Rakell        291    18:12
Jakob Silfverberg    291    18:13
Brendan Guhle        131    18:44
Michael Del Zotto    228    19:01
Josh Manson        213    19:22
Cam Fowler        331    20:39
Erik Gudbranson        109    21:47
Hampus Lindholm        305    21:49

TOI for last game:

A. Henrique  15:47
R. Getzlaf  20:51
N. Deslauriers  7:32
C. Rowney  12:39
D. Shore  8:15
J. Silfverberg  20:37
S. Steel 16:42
N. Ritchie 14:04
D. Grant 13:34
M. Comtois  10:50
T. Terry  13:03
R. Rakell  20:57

C. Fowler  22:42
E. Gudbranson  23:05
J. Larsson  15: 19
M. Del Zotto  14:55
H. Lindholm  22:40
J. Mahura  18:07

Interesting that MaxC is listed as only 11 min, i guess he was off the Getz line last night?  Gbud immediately getting man minutes on D.  Larsson was looking very skittish last night.  Not sure why Hank's time down so much.  Steele getting big boy minutes.  Nothing really screams out at me why the team has been starting late in the second period, instead of early in the first period.

Total accumulation - seems like we're underutilizing some players/lines.  

Am I out of line in thinking they should bring up Sherwood and play Grant more? Honestly I don't understand why Grant isn't given more minutes considering he's a positive on our team. He's not a liability and he's imo an upgrade over many others. I'm not saying he should be taking the kids time on ice but at least over guys like Richie, De French and Rowney. He already plays more than them, usually, but play those guys even less. Also, put Holzer back in the minors... seriously.

9 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Am I out of line in thinking they should bring up Sherwood and play Grant more? Honestly I don't understand why Grant isn't given more minutes considering he's a positive on our team. He's not a liability and he's imo an upgrade over many others. I'm not saying he should be taking the kids time on ice but at least over guys like Richie, De French and Rowney. He already plays more than them, usually, but play those guys even less. Also, put Holzer back in the minors... seriously.

Let me preface by saying I like the way Grant plays, and I think the following will be less horrifying if we look at context.  Namely, Grant is getting a TON of defensive zone starts and he's been out there against other teams' top lines.  That said, he (and his linemates) are getting CRUSHED in possession.  It's really bad.  They're down below 35% in shot share, scoring chance share, and expected goal share.  They're doing a little better in high danger scoring chance share, where they're at 40 - 44%, but it's still cringe-worthy.  

I think Grant is the best one on that line, so I think some of this is on his linemates.  Deslauriers is barely a hockey player, and Rowney is a turnover waiting to happen.  As much as I dislike Nate Shore, I think it would make a lot of sense to get Sherwood up and play Sherwood and Shore on Grant's wings.  They can't be worse.

• Like 1