The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

32 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I think Sherwood is on a limited waivers exempt status contract, meaning that he may only be able to play 10 games up before we have to waive him to get him back down.  

I think they're waiting to bring him up until they can plan on keeping him up for the rest of the season.

However, all that said, I have no idea why Max J was sent down to come back up today.  Maybe it was to make an appearance on the Gulls, but seems weird.  Maybe I can't count and they needed to do so in order to sit Holzer and bring up Larsson without having to waive anyone?  If someone knows...

Just curious though Wonder when Kiefer will be called up by our Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Let me preface by saying I like the way Grant plays, and I think the following will be less horrifying if we look at context.  Namely, Grant is getting a TON of defensive zone starts and he's been out there against other teams' top lines.  That said, he (and his linemates) are getting CRUSHED in possession.  It's really bad.  They're down below 35% in shot share, scoring chance share, and expected goal share.  They're doing a little better in high danger scoring chance share, where they're at 40 - 44%, but it's still cringe-worthy.  

I think Grant is the best one on that line, so I think some of this is on his linemates.  Deslauriers is barely a hockey player, and Rowney is a turnover waiting to happen.  As much as I dislike Nate Shore, I think it would make a lot of sense to get Sherwood up and play Sherwood and Shore on Grant's wings.  They can't be worse.

You dislike him so much that you even renamed him? :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Let me preface by saying I like the way Grant plays, and I think the following will be less horrifying if we look at context.  Namely, Grant is getting a TON of defensive zone starts and he's been out there against other teams' top lines.  That said, he (and his linemates) are getting CRUSHED in possession.  It's really bad.  They're down below 35% in shot share, scoring chance share, and expected goal share.  They're doing a little better in high danger scoring chance share, where they're at 40 - 44%, but it's still cringe-worthy.  

I think Grant is the best one on that line, so I think some of this is on his linemates.  Deslauriers is barely a hockey player, and Rowney is a turnover waiting to happen.  As much as I dislike Nate Shore, I think it would make a lot of sense to get Sherwood up and play Sherwood and Shore on Grant's wings.  They can't be worse.

Some interesting points with interesting stats. But I'd be down with that line. I think they could really do some damage. As long as the puck doesn't go in our net and gives rest to our top lines, it's a win. 

Does anyone have access to let us know which player?

@theAthleticLA 

"I’m not going to run from it."

The Ducks' power play is a big problem, and coach Dallas Eakins knows it. @icemancometh goes in depth on the issues and why one player believes the Ducks are "not on the same page."

2 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Does anyone have access to let us know which player?

@theAthleticLA 

"I’m not going to run from it."

The Ducks' power play is a big problem, and coach Dallas Eakins knows it. @icemancometh goes in depth on the issues and why one player believes the Ducks are "not on the same page."

Rakell said it.  The context was that guys know they're struggling so they're pushing to succeed as individuals rather than continuing to work as a team.

16 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Rakell said it.  The context was that guys know they're struggling so they're pushing to succeed as individuals rather than continuing to work as a team.

This. Here's the quote:

“It’s just the final thing of putting the puck inside the net,” Rakell said. “We’re having zone time, but we’re getting pucks blocked or the last pass is not getting through. We try to simplify and we’re not on the same page. It’s really frustrating.”

Another reporter then asked what he meant by the Ducks not being on the same page.

“You try and be a difference maker because you want things to happen,” Rakell answered. “One guy might try something, and other guys are looking for something else. But that’s just the way it goes. We want to score goals and we want to be a successful power play. Clearly, it’s not working.”

ps I highly recommend a subscription to the Athletic. Totally worth it.

• Like 3

Another poignant quote from the Athletic article:

“The big thing that stands out is the lack of a true power play quarterback,” a scout said. “Fowler is a great player. But not the dynamic type of guy that can fake shots and make quick, accurate passes for one-timers. His shot isn’t overly hard. That’s my initial thought.”

This woeful PP is first and foremost on GMBM. He's gone all in with Fowler as the QB of his #1 PP unit and in the process traded away Vatanen, Montour, and Theodore - all guys who had a ton of creativity and great vision on the PP and could actually get pucks through to the net with hard, accurate shots. GMBM will eventually need to find this team a legit PP QB to fix it. Maybe Mahura or Guhle can eventually be that guy. Maybe he'll finally find that guy via trade. But that guy currently is not getting top-PP minutes with the Ducks' best scorers.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fisix said:

didn't go to the game, sent the wife.  watch a few minutes in the second and gave up.

A. Henrique   14:36
R. Getzlaf   17:20
C. Rowney   11:09
O.Kase   15:03
J. Silfverberg   14:19
S. Steel   18:50
N. Ritchie   17:00
D. Grant   13:05
M. Jones   14:27
M. Comtois   15:06
T. Terry   17:48
R. Rakell   14:56

C. Fowler   18:59
K. Holzer   16:25
E. Gudbranson   20:54
J. Larsson   17:17
M. Del Zotto   16:42
J. Mahura   21:18

What can I say?  The TOI says it all.  Not sure how NR and SS and TT have the most TOI, other than Getz (who sat twice during the game).  I don't think we're going to score that much with Silf, RR, and Hank sitting for as long as they did.  They should each have another 4 minutes.  Grant underused, but probably because he's saddled with Rowney.  Kase playing... not sure with who.

I really can't tell what the coaching was doing allowing the forwards TOIs to look like that.

Defense - Hozler was a -3 on the night, DelZ was a +1.  Larsson was a -2... I wonder who sits now that Guhle is up?  And did Simon play?  I saw he was called up, but was he just practicing?

I know Mahura is good, but I don't think playing him 21min makes a ton of sense, though I guess he's been paired with GBud, which should allow him to be/stay offensively minded.

yeah, ok, i'm missing Theo right now, and Pettersson.  :(

I think it’s more a part of coaching and management’s effort to give the young  guys as many NHL minutes as possible this season. It also puts less wear and tear on Getzlaf, Henrique and Silfverberg in a season where they shouldn’t be grinding on a nightly basis. If this is the strategy, then I agree with it in the long run.

I knew losing Theodore in particular  would sting but never thought that it would be this bad and that the Ducks would need to re-stock and upgrade their defense at this time. 

I really want to see what Benoit can do and think he’s earned a shot with Ducks. Seems like a good physical defensemen, though with limited offensive ability

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

The kovy situation got me thinking. We don't even have a bad contract to trade back to them, even if we wanted to. But, and I'm not advocating for kovy, he still has a lethal shot. We could actually use someone like him but I remembered we already have someone who is also a one trick pony. Sprong. We need someone who could shoot and finish. But what we really miss is Perry. Early 2010s Perry. Or even a Pavelski type. I saw Ricky go to the net for one game and he created havoc and scoring opportunities. Imagine him going there every game, he's got 30+ goal potential there easy. But we also need shooters, I'm tired of the muffin shots. 

20 hours ago, Fisix said:

Gbud?  DelZ?  Gbud has some good stick swing, but he needs to be partnered with a quick d-mate.  DelZ has an excellent shot speed, but he needs some help getting open, needs some accuracy, and needs a competent d-mate.

Cam really needs to develop a shot that can come in from the blue line, which means more speed and a quicker release with creative placement.  His shot is so slow that anything from him at the blue line, except for deflections and expert screens, is almost always going to be blocked/stopped.  His high percentage shot is down at the faceoff circles, but then, so is everyone's.

after 10 years in NHL? LOL. The Athletic is absolutely right, this guy is a complete product of GMBM.

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

after 10 years in NHL? LOL. The Athletic is absolutely right, this guy is a complete product of GMBM.

Cam feels somewhat entitled as the heir apparent to SN27. It was nurtured by the organization, mostly Bob, that's true. Cam always says "No no no, I'm not Scott and will never be like him, no no NO!" but the expectations are clearly there from both sides. Do only the fans see Fowler as a solid #3? With Gbud as the #4 we have a legit 2nd d-pair, but heck, it's way worse than we envisioned Fowler to be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aksun said:

Cam feels somewhat entitled as the heir apparent to SN27. It was nurtured by the organization, mostly Bob, that's true. Cam always says "No no no, I'm not Scott and will never be like him, no no NO!" but the expectations are clearly there from both sides. Do only the fans see Fowler as a solid #3? With Gbud as the #4 we have a legit 2nd d-pair, but heck, it's way worse than we envisioned Fowler to be.

If he is our "solid #3" defenceman (not sure about "solid") then is he the second highest paid player on the roster? 

• Like 1

Rakell-Getz-Silfverberg

Ritchie-Steel-Kase

Jones-Henrique-Terry

Sherwood-Shore-Sprong

Grant-Rowney

(Des-Grant-Rowney) needs to stop being a thing.

Lindholm-Manson

Guhle-Fowler

Mahura-Gudbranson

MDZ

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

If he is our "solid #3" defenceman (not sure about "solid") then is he the second highest paid player on the roster? 

Because Kesler is on IR, Perry was bought out, Lindholm is still playing on his last RFA contract (I expect he'll jump Fowler's deal when he's ready for UFA status), Gibson agreed to re-sign for below-market value, and GMBM is running a cost-efficient re-tool using kids on their ELCs rather than big-game hunting on the UFA market. And as hard as we are on #4, he's still our 2nd best defenseman too. 

• Like 3

Here is the lineup according to Eric Stephens for the Ducks Battle vs San Jose.

Rakell-Henrique-Silfverberg

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Kase

Jones-Steel-Terry

Deslauriers-Grant-Rowney

Larsson-Fowler

Guhle-Gudbranson

Mahura-Holzer

Gibson

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Actually, whatever issues we have with Cam, he's consistent where he's at, or maybe more accurately, he rarely drops below a fairly high performance level.  Lindholm is playing really, really well, but his drops below par are a bit longer, he's been injury prone-ish, and he's more.. affected by the quality of his linemate (might be a communication issue).

i think taking that all into account, if you average over 20-40 games or so, I see Cam as tied with Linds - they're co-best defensemen.  When Linds and Manson are both healthy and playing well, they're great.  Cam really hasn't had a chance to settle in with a d-line partner in the same way... 

it will be very interesting to see how Linds and Cam compare once Cam gets a chance to bond with a competent d-mate (if that's ever allowed to happen).  Gbud+Fowler might be just as good or better than Manson+Linds.  DelZ+Fowler should (SHOULD) be an offensive nightmare... not sure just yet why that hasn't worked, other than Cam just doesn't have it in him to switch up his style as quickly as we'd want.

I wonder... I wonder if BM basically gave Cam both options to try out, basically to see if Cam can take his game a step higher.  Manson taking himself out of the lineup chucked a wrench at that deal, for now, but now that I think about it a bit more, Cam is being put to the test.  Sort of like a midlevel manager test.

I really disagree with this. Lindholm has been Lindholm no matter who he's played with. He's a top-shelf defender and doesn't need Manson to play at his best. He was very good with EG immediately after Manson went down. He was very good with Beauchemin when they were together during 2014-15. And he was very good with Vatanen in the 2016 Nashville series when Flopsberg took out Manson. He wasn't great with Montour last season, but everybody sucked badly last season so it's hard to know what exactly that was about. Nonetheless, there will never be an endless search for a partner to play with Lindholm because Lindholm can play great defensive hockey with virtually anybody.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Because Kesler is on IR, Perry was bought out, Lindholm is still playing on his last RFA contract (I expect he'll jump Fowler's deal when he's ready for UFA status), Gibson agreed to re-sign for below-market value, and GMBM is running a cost-efficient re-tool using kids on their ELCs rather than big-game hunting on the UFA market. And as hard as we are on #4, he's still our 2nd best defenseman too. 

As long BM is the GM the Ducks will not move forward he has NO hockey sense. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:19 PM, Fisix said:

Actually, whatever issues we have with Cam, he's consistent where he's at, or maybe more accurately, he rarely drops below a fairly high performance level.  Lindholm is playing really, really well, but his drops below par are a bit longer, he's been injury prone-ish, and he's more.. affected by the quality of his linemate (might be a communication issue).

i think taking that all into account, if you average over 20-40 games or so, I see Cam as tied with Linds - they're co-best defensemen.  When Linds and Manson are both healthy and playing well, they're great.  Cam really hasn't had a chance to settle in with a d-line partner in the same way... 

it will be very interesting to see how Linds and Cam compare once Cam gets a chance to bond with a competent d-mate (if that's ever allowed to happen).  Gbud+Fowler might be just as good or better than Manson+Linds.  DelZ+Fowler should (SHOULD) be an offensive nightmare... not sure just yet why that hasn't worked, other than Cam just doesn't have it in him to switch up his style as quickly as we'd want.

I wonder... I wonder if BM basically gave Cam both options to try out, basically to see if Cam can take his game a step higher.  Manson taking himself out of the lineup chucked a wrench at that deal, for now, but now that I think about it a bit more, Cam is being put to the test.  Sort of like a midlevel manager test.

Lindholm has missed fewer games over the last 6 years and so far this year so he isn’t anymore injury prone. 

Fowler - 67

Lindholm - 50

Lindholm and Fowler have both had numerous partners since their NHL debuts. RC splitting Lindholm and Manson last year was a huge mistake. 

Look at each player’s plus/minus over the same period.  Lindholm’s are far better and he and his defensive partner, no matter who it is, are up against the opposing team’s best players. Fowler also gets the majority of the PP time. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Lol his muffin shots won't even register!😂

Muffin shots are fine so long as you actually get them through traffic in front. Niedermayer didn't have an especially fast wrist shot, but he was really good at getting pucks through traffic. I feel like half of Fowler's shots get blocked by the man standing right in front of him. 

15 minutes ago, nieder said:

Muffin shots are fine so long as you actually get them through traffic in front. Niedermayer didn't have an especially fast wrist shot, but he was really good at getting pucks through traffic. I feel like half of Fowler's shots get blocked by the man standing right in front of him. 

I agree, None of our defensemen are good at getting shots through to the net effectively. Vatanen was good at it and Theodore is very good at at. We don't have a threat from the point or a LH that can finish from the right side.

The Ducks have had crushing losses on the backend in less than 18 months and don't have nearly adequate enough replacements to compensate before that. And that's before Lindholm and Manson went down.

5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
St. Louis’ Oskar Sundqvist will have a hearing today for Charging Anaheim’s John Gibson.
St. Louis’ Oskar Sundqvist has been fined $7,392.47, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Charging Anaheim’s John Gibson.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Weird post. 

has cam missed any games so far this season?  Or are you talking about calendar year?

the fact that splitting Lindholm from Manson made a difference , helps my point. 

On the last bolded part - Lindholm has more often been paired with the typically better line mate. 

You didn't say this season. You said Lindholm seems to be injury prone. 

Not sure how it helps or hurts your point. The point is, they have both had many D partners and Lindholm seems to adjust whereas Cam stays the same.

I'm not going to research each's line mates, but I believe BM has been trying to find the right line mate for Cam. It turned out that Lindholm and Manson had chemistry for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Hmm a couple of interesting points made in the Panthers gdt. Some mentioned the coaches head scratching decisions leading to goals against. I would also like to point out a few games back (?) where HCDE sent out Holzer and Larsson for the final minutes of the game. Holzer took a penalty and we were on a 5 on 3 and they pulled their goalie to score. 

So, there are some pretty bad decisions being made. So the question becomes, how much of the loss can be attributed to these decisions? I understand the players can't give up four goals but with some of the decisions being made can you blame them?

• Like 2

Really hope Larsson can figure it out. Team needs him to. He’s atrocious in the D zone. Next up, Holzer. I hope Manson is back sooner than later.