Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

Recommended Posts

On 5/1/2019 at 12:30 PM, FanSince1993 said:

You should have also mentioned they did a previous article "5 reasons to be optimistic about the ducks future."  They said they did a positive article, decided to look at potential issues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 11:59 PM, dukitup said:

You should have also mentioned they did a previous article "5 reasons to be optimistic about the ducks future."  They said they did a positive article, decided to look at potential issues. 

Can't blame for them for looking at both Positives and Negatives in regards of the Ducks Future....however I think If our team plays their cards right Path to the Stanley Cup can be clear.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free Agent Focus: Anaheim Ducks

MAY 25, 2019 AT 9:14 AM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE LEAVE A COMMENT

Free agency is now a little more than a month away from opening up and there are quite a few prominent players set to hit the open market while many teams have key restricted free agents to re-sign.  That’s not really the case for Anaheim this summer but here is a breakdown of their free agent situation.

Key Restricted Free Agent: D Jake Dotchin – This is going to seem like a stretch on the surface but they don’t have any restricted free agents from their end-of-season roster.  Dotchin joined Anaheim early in the season following a surprising release in Tampa Bay for a material breach of contract that was believed to revolve around his conditioning.  After a conditioning stint, he hung around for a couple of months in a limited role before clearing waivers in mid-January and being sent back to the minors.  Dotchin hasn’t seen a ton of ice time so far for Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in the postseason but considering he’s only owed a two-way qualifying offer of $840K, he could be worth re-signing to keep around as a potential fit for a depth spot in the lineup for the Ducks next season if the team feels some of their younger players need more minor league time.

Other RFAs: F Chase De Leo, F Justin Kloos, D Trevor Murphy, D Keaton Thompson

Key Unrestricted Free Agents: G Ryan Miller – While his second season in Anaheim didn’t go as well as his first, Miller still provided the Ducks with a reasonable showing between the pipes.  His .912 SV% and 2.76 GAA were both slightly better than the league average which isn’t too shabby for a 38-year-old.  It’s believed that Miller is only interested in playing for a California-based team which will limit his options in free agency.  However, Anaheim does have some interest in keeping him around but considering his age, it will almost certainly be a one-year deal.  A contract like that is eligible for performance bonuses and given their salary cap situation, a deal with bonuses (likely close to the $2MM he made this past season) could give GM Bob Murray a bit more wiggle room this offseason.

F Derek Grant – Grant was brought back in a midseason trade in an effort to shore up Anaheim’s bottom six forward group.  While his production dipped relative to his 24-point campaign the year before, he was still slightly above average at the faceoff dot and played a bigger role than expected due to injuries.  He was on a league minimum contract this past season and will likely be looking at that again next season.  It wouldn’t be surprising to see Anaheim be the team to give it to him.

D Andy Welinski – Welinski isn’t someone that is going to jump off the table; he has just 33 career NHL regular season games under his belt.  However, he didn’t look out of place in his 26 games with Anaheim this season and he has played quite well for their AHL affiliate in San Diego, including their current postseason run.  We’ve seen teams be more aggressive with Group VI free agents in recent years and as a right-shot defender that’s on the cusp of cracking the NHL on a full-time basis, there will be a lot of interest in him on the open market.

Other UFAs: F Sam Carrick, F Adam Cracknell, G Chad Johnson, D Korbinian Holzer, F Kalle Kossila, D Jaycob Megna, F Kevin Roy, F Ben Street, D Andrej Sustr

Projected Cap Space: The Ducks have nearly $74MM tied up in 18 players for next season, per CapFriendly.  Even with a projected bump in the Upper Limit, that doesn’t give them a ton of room to make any big additions.  However, Ryan Kesler’s season-ending hip surgerywill allow them to put him on LTIR which will effective buy them up to an extra $6.875MM in cap room for 2019-20.  That said, it wouldn’t be surprising to see that money spent on one-year contracts in the event that Kesler is able to return down the road.  Patrick Eaves($3.15MM) is another early LTIR candidate which would give them that much more room to work with.  While injuries are never ideal, it will give Murray some freedom to spend this summer, something that didn’t appear to be the case just a few months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corey Perry is not a first-line winger or an $8.625 million player anymore. But does he still have something to contribute? @JoshuaCooper, @icemancometh and @reallisa weigh in on this key question facing the Ducks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Corey Perry is not a first-line winger or an $8.625 million player anymore. But does he still have something to contribute? @JoshuaCooper, @icemancometh and @reallisa weigh in on this key question facing the Ducks.

I disagree with Dillman and Stephens here. A buyout this summer would be in the best interests of both Perry and the Ducks. We’ve been spoiled that so many icons have retired wearing our sweater   over the past 10 years (Teemu, Nieds, Koivu, Beauch), but that shouldn’t cloud GMBM’s judgment on what is best for the team. We are stacked with RWs and, unlike LW, every single one of our RWs is NHL-ready. Time to move Pears aside. He can then take his $90M+ in career earnings from the Ducks and look for a new opportunity, and we’ll see him back at the Ponda in 5 years for the jersey retirement ceremony.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I disagree with Dillman and Stephens here. A buyout this summer would be in the best interests of both Perry and the Ducks. We’ve been spoiled that so many icons have retired wearing our sweater   over the past 10 years (Teemu, Nieds, Koivu, Beauch), but that shouldn’t cloud GMBM’s judgment on what is best for the team. We are stacked with RWs and, unlike LW, every single one of our RWs is NHL-ready. Time to move Pears aside. He can then take his $90M+ in career earnings from the Ducks and look for a new opportunity, and we’ll see him back at the Ponda in 5 years for the jersey retirement ceremony.

I don't know if a Perry buyout makes financial sense for the team. It would save us $6M this coming season but only $2M the next season, then we would be on the hook for $2M per season for 2 more years after that. If we aren't spending to the cap this coming season anyway then the main reason to move him is to make space for the kids.

Might be easier to just tell him he's shifting to the left wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nieder said:

I don't know if a Perry buyout makes financial sense for the team. It would save us $6M this coming season but only $2M the next season, then we would be on the hook for $2M per season for 2 more years after that. If we aren't spending to the cap this coming season anyway then the main reason to move him is to make space for the kids.

Might be easier to just tell him he's shifting to the left wing.

IMO the main reason IS to make space for the kids. The cost savings is just salvaging what the team can in terms of salary expenditures because his NMC makes it too hard to trade him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Oilers, Senators, Sabres, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers all hiring new head coaches since the conclusion of the regular season, the Ducks are the only remaining team with a spot to fill.

Murray left to enjoy picking through who they didn't want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. In regard to @icemancometh story below on ANA coaching search, can confirm DAL assistant Todd Nelson will be interviewed by Ducks this week.

    Bob McKenzie added,

  2. It’s by no means a certainty but there have been whispers that former LA head coach John Stevens could perhaps join DAL staff in some capacity. What is certain is that DAL HC Jim Montgomery and Stevens are great friends and have worked together in the past.
Corey Perry is not a first-line winger or an $8.625 million player anymore. But does he still have something to contribute? @JoshuaCooper, @icemancometh and @reallisa weigh in on this key question facing the Ducks.
 

Latest On Anaheim Ducks Coaching Search

MAY 29, 2019 AT 5:18 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE LEAVE A COMMENT

The Anaheim Ducks still don’t have a head coach for the 2019-20 season, even as the NHL Entry Draft is now just a few weeks away. The combine is already underway, meaning whoever does take the reins of the team next season won’t get to be part of the prospect interview process. While that obviously isn’t a devastating problem, it is somewhat uncommon, as seen by the several other vacancies that have been filled in recent weeks.

In a column today by Eric Stephens of The Athletic (subscription required) the top candidates for the job are examined, with special emphasis put on San Diego Gulls coach Dallas Eakins, and why he hasn’t yet been given the job despite many around the league expecting it to go to him since Randy Carlyle was fired mid-season. Stephens lists New York Islanders assistant coach Lane Lambert, Manitoba Moose head coach Pascal Vincent and Dallas Stars assistant Todd Nelson as other candidates that have been mentioned recently.

Bob McKenzie of TSN has also heard Nelson’s name, and reports that he will be interviewed this week for the job. It wouldn’t be the first time that Nelson has taken a job once ticketed for Eakins, as he was the coach that eventually took over when Eakins was fired in Edmonton back in 2014. Also of interest is another tweet from McKenzie, who suggests that there may be a job for former Los Angeles Kings head coach John Stevens in Dallas on Jim Montgomery’s staff. If Nelson does leave, that would provide an option for the Stars to replace him with.

The Ducks are coming off a disappointing season in which they finished 35-37-10. The core that led them to so many playoff runs is getting older—to the point where speculation of a Corey Perry buyout isn’t unreasonable—but there is help coming through the pipeline in the form of several top forward prospects. The job isn’t a full rebuild, but it also needs someone who can develop the next wave of talent quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mulcher said:

The Oilers, Senators, Sabres, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers all hiring new head coaches since the conclusion of the regular season, the Ducks are the only remaining team with a spot to fill.

Murray left to enjoy picking through who they didn't want.

Everything is dumpster bargain diving even when finding a coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Everything is dumpster bargain diving even when finding a coach. 

Agree. I notice a tendency of our GM: when it comes to free agents acquisition or potential trade targets, Bob seems to be very limited in financial terms. However, when it comes to resigning our own RFA, he throws long-term contracts with large amount of money to average or OK players and makes them untradeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Agree. I notice a tendency of our GM: when it comes to free agents acquisition or potential trade targets, Bob seems to be very limited in financial terms. However, when it comes to resigning our own RFA, he throws long-term contracts with large amount of money to average or OK players and makes them untradeable.

Examples?  Without doing research, the only real long term contract going to a player of RFA status (that I can think of) was the one to Fowler (and we can debate if it's tradable or not). Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, etc., were UFA at the time they signed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
  1. In regard to @icemancometh story below on ANA coaching search, can confirm DAL assistant Todd Nelson will be interviewed by Ducks this week.

    Bob McKenzie added,

  2. It’s by no means a certainty but there have been whispers that former LA head coach John Stevens could perhaps join DAL staff in some capacity. What is certain is that DAL HC Jim Montgomery and Stevens are great friends and have worked together in the past.
Corey Perry is not a first-line winger or an $8.625 million player anymore. But does he still have something to contribute? @JoshuaCooper, @icemancometh and @reallisa weigh in on this key question facing the Ducks.
 

Latest On Anaheim Ducks Coaching Search

MAY 29, 2019 AT 5:18 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE LEAVE A COMMENT

The Anaheim Ducks still don’t have a head coach for the 2019-20 season, even as the NHL Entry Draft is now just a few weeks away. The combine is already underway, meaning whoever does take the reins of the team next season won’t get to be part of the prospect interview process. While that obviously isn’t a devastating problem, it is somewhat uncommon, as seen by the several other vacancies that have been filled in recent weeks.

In a column today by Eric Stephens of The Athletic (subscription required) the top candidates for the job are examined, with special emphasis put on San Diego Gulls coach Dallas Eakins, and why he hasn’t yet been given the job despite many around the league expecting it to go to him since Randy Carlyle was fired mid-season. Stephens lists New York Islanders assistant coach Lane Lambert, Manitoba Moose head coach Pascal Vincent and Dallas Stars assistant Todd Nelson as other candidates that have been mentioned recently.

Bob McKenzie of TSN has also heard Nelson’s name, and reports that he will be interviewed this week for the job. It wouldn’t be the first time that Nelson has taken a job once ticketed for Eakins, as he was the coach that eventually took over when Eakins was fired in Edmonton back in 2014. Also of interest is another tweet from McKenzie, who suggests that there may be a job for former Los Angeles Kings head coach John Stevens in Dallas on Jim Montgomery’s staff. If Nelson does leave, that would provide an option for the Stars to replace him with.

The Ducks are coming off a disappointing season in which they finished 35-37-10. The core that led them to so many playoff runs is getting older—to the point where speculation of a Corey Perry buyout isn’t unreasonable—but there is help coming through the pipeline in the form of several top forward prospects. The job isn’t a full rebuild, but it also needs someone who can develop the next wave of talent quickly.

Anyone not Surprise Bob is taking his time.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dukitup said:

Examples?  Without doing research, the only real long term contract going to a player of RFA status (that I can think of) was the one to Fowler (and we can debate if it's tradable or not). Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, etc., were UFA at the time they signed. 

+1

And I believe Fowler was a pending UFA too, no? Lindholm and Rakell got the long-term deals as RFAs, but neither of those are problem contracts at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Anyone not Surprise Bob is taking his time.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

when have you seen Bob Murry jump out of the gate and make an impact like he promises every year? 

Integrity, Accountability, and Commitment to winning are not one of Bob's attributes He has the 2-year contract he does not care.

If he cared we will have a coach a few players from the IIHF you know like other teams are doing when they had a losing season. 

until we change the mindset and Culture of the front office the team we will not win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joker8 said:

when have you seen Bob Murry jump out of the gate and make an impact like he promises every year? 

Integrity, Accountability, and Commitment to winning are not one of Bob's attributes He has the 2-year contract he does not care.

If he cared we will have a coach a few players from the IIHF you know like other teams are doing when they had a losing season. 

until we change the mindset and Culture of the front office the team we will not win. 

Might as well tolerate it and hope for the Best....I say again in others We must continue to hold BM accountable.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

+1

And I believe Fowler was a pending UFA too, no? Lindholm and Rakell got the long-term deals as RFAs, but neither of those are problem contracts at all.

Yes and no. When Fowler signed his extension, he still had another year on his current contract (so technically not pending UFA). He would have been UFA after that last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dukitup said:

Examples?  Without doing research, the only real long term contract going to a player of RFA status (that I can think of) was the one to Fowler (and we can debate if it's tradable or not). Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, etc., were UFA at the time they signed. 

I am glad that you brought Fowler's name. I personally have nothing against him and I am sure he is a very nice person. But we are talking business decision here. Let's compare some good contract vs. bad contract.

A good example would be a player of the same age, playing position, physical complexion, recent performance and a year of signing a new contract. Let's look, for example, Dmitri Orlov vs. Cam Fowler, and let's consider most recent performance for the last 4 seasons.

Dmitri Orlov                                                                                          Cam Fowler

$5.1mil per season for 6 years, signed in 2017                       $6.5 per season for 8 years, signed in 2017

27 goals, 95 assists for total of 122 points                                29 goals, 93 assists for total of 122 points

amazing +41 ratio                                                                    -12 ratio

5 teams no trade list, can be traded to 26 teams                      4 teams trade list, including Kings who don't want him

This is a perfect example of a good contract vs bad contract. Should we talk  more about Henrique, Eaves and others?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Yes and no. When Fowler signed his extension, he still had another year on his current contract (so technically not pending UFA). He would have been UFA after that last season.

Yeah, but if you count it that way then you have to count Kesler and Henrique, since they were also re-signed a full year earlier than they went UFA for the first time. The way I look at it, if you're a UFA when your current contract expires, you have a lot more leverage in contract negotiations than if you are an RFA (when the team has more leverage), so in all three of those cases (Fowler, Kesler, Henrique) you have to consider them pending UFAs with all the leverage on their side.

Either way, your point was spot on and completely rebutted argument that GMBM gives bad contracts to our pending RFAs. And I see the goal posts have now moved....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

I am glad that you brought Fowler's name. I personally have nothing against him and I am sure he is a very nice person. But we are talking business decision here. Let's compare some good contract vs. bad contract.

A good example would be a player of the same age, playing position, physical complexion, recent performance and a year of signing a new contract. Let's look, for example, Dmitri Orlov vs. Cam Fowler, and let's consider most recent performance for the last 4 seasons.

Dmitri Orlov                                                                                          Cam Fowler

$5.1mil per season for 6 years, signed in 2017                       $6.5 per season for 8 years, signed in 2017

27 goals, 95 assists for total of 122 points                                29 goals, 93 assists for total of 122 points

amazing +41 ratio                                                                    -12 ratio

5 teams no trade list, can be traded to 26 teams                      4 teams trade list, including Kings who don't want him

This is a perfect example of a good contract vs bad contract. Should we talk  more about Henrique, Eaves and others?

 

Curious why you didn't list the number of games Orlov and Fowler have both played during that stretch? Orlov hasn't missed a game in the last four regular seasons while Cam has had some terrible injury luck thanks to a brutal puck to the face and some awkward collisions that resulted in knee injuries (screw you, Giordano!), so Fowler's point/game totals (in 53 fewer games) are significantly better than Orlov's, even though Orlov has been playing for far superior teams (including a Cup champion) during that stretch.

Personally, I would have preferred to trade Fowler and bring in a more physical SAH D-man to play with Monty (or Vats if we had kept him), but I don't think this comparison really shows anything since you're only cherry-picking a few stats to try to prove a point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Curious why you didn't list the number of games Orlov and Fowler have both played during that stretch? Orlov hasn't missed a game in the last four regular seasons while Cam has had some terrible injury luck thanks to a brutal puck to the face and some awkward collisions that resulted in knee injuries (screw you, Giordano!), so Fowler's point/game totals (in 53 fewer games) are significantly better than Orlov's, even though Orlov has been playing for far superior teams (including a Cup champion) during that stretch.

Personally, I would have preferred to trade Fowler and bring in a more physical SAH D-man to play with Monty (or Vats if we had kept him), but I don't think this comparison really shows anything since you're only cherry-picking a few stats to try to prove a point.

I would also question why $5.1M is a 'bad' contract and $6.5M is a 'good' contract. The difference between a good and bad contract is only $1.4M? I would call Fowler's contract 'average' personally as he likely would have gotten $6-6.5M on the open market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Curious why you didn't list the number of games Orlov and Fowler have both played during that stretch? Orlov hasn't missed a game in the last four regular seasons while Cam has had some terrible injury luck thanks to a brutal puck to the face and some awkward collisions that resulted in knee injuries (screw you, Giordano!), so Fowler's point/game totals (in 53 fewer games) are significantly better than Orlov's, even though Orlov has been playing for far superior teams (including a Cup champion) during that stretch.

Personally, I would have preferred to trade Fowler and bring in a more physical SAH D-man to play with Monty (or Vats if we had kept him), but I don't think this comparison really shows anything since you're only cherry-picking a few stats to try to prove a point.

that's a very generous characterization.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not about hurt feelings, it’s about getting the right fit.  Is it Eakins?  That I don’t know.  To me, Gallant or Berube would be close to the perfect fit.   If GMBM thought it should be Eakins, why the head coach search and multiple interviews?  IMO, Murray isn’t convinced himself just yet.

 

Personally, for the benefit of the organization, I think Eakins is perfect for San Diego.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobD360 said:

That would be such a slap in the face to Eakins. 

It would.....Cause imagine seeing the guy who defeated you get the job you wanted.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fowl said:

It’s not about hurt feelings, it’s about getting the right fit.  Is it Eakins?  That I don’t know.  To me, Gallant or Berube would be close to the perfect fit.   If GMBM thought it should be Eakins, why the head coach search and multiple interviews?  IMO, Murray isn’t convinced himself just yet.

 

Personally, for the benefit of the organization, I think Eakins is perfect for San Diego.

For the record I don’t know if it will be Eakins or not. I actually don’t have enough knowledge on how to judge a good coach other than basing it off experience and achievements which shouldn’t really prevent a coach who is the “right” fit but i don’t know enough to even call anyone a “right” fit. Just hope that Bob nails it this time. Bruce wasn’t bad and actually very different to RCs style which gives me some hope that Bob is possibly open to trying something new and not necessarily sticking to the same set of criteria if what RC was or what Bruce was. We just need someone who can work well with the younger players as the older ones aren’t even going to be around as long so we should be focusing on a coach who is in tuned to the younger generation. Hopefully the new coach is also someone who works in the modern NHL style as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobD360 said:

For the record I don’t know if it will be Eakins or not. I actually don’t have enough knowledge on how to judge a good coach other than basing it off experience and achievements which shouldn’t really prevent a coach who is the “right” fit but i don’t know enough to even call anyone a “right” fit. Just hope that Bob nails it this time. Bruce wasn’t bad and actually very different to RCs style which gives me some hope that Bob is possibly open to trying something new and not necessarily sticking to the same set of criteria if what RC was or what Bruce was. We just need someone who can work well with the younger players as the older ones aren’t even going to be around as long so we should be focusing on a coach who is in tuned to the younger generation. Hopefully the new coach is also someone who works in the modern NHL style as well. 

If Bob wanted to hire Eakins, he would have done it few weeks ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...