Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, RobD360 said:

That would be such a slap in the face to Eakins. 

and we care why? we want to win he failed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RobD360 said:

For the record I don’t know if it will be Eakins or not. I actually don’t have enough knowledge on how to judge a good coach other than basing it off experience and achievements which shouldn’t really prevent a coach who is the “right” fit but i don’t know enough to even call anyone a “right” fit. Just hope that Bob nails it this time. Bruce wasn’t bad and actually very different to RCs style which gives me some hope that Bob is possibly open to trying something new and not necessarily sticking to the same set of criteria if what RC was or what Bruce was. We just need someone who can work well with the younger players as the older ones aren’t even going to be around as long so we should be focusing on a coach who is in tuned to the younger generation. Hopefully the new coach is also someone who works in the modern NHL style as well. 

You going to need an alpha coach with this bunch.  Maybe that’s a better summation.  Eakins is great with the young guys, but the highly paid veterans, including those with No Movement Clauses need to know who’s running the show.   Can Eakins assert himself in that way without nuking things like he did in Edmonton (though I’m sure Eakins has developed additional coaching skills since then). Eakins has had success at the AHL level, but not the NHL.  Fan1993 is probably right, if he was sure he was the guy, GMBM would have likely committed to hiring Eakins after the Gulls were out of the playoffs.   Myself, I think the Wolves coach should get an interview too.  Since it will be a budget hire, maybe Murray looks in Europe too.

 

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fowl said:

You going to need an alpha coach with this bunch.  Maybe that’s a better summation.  Eakins is great with the young guys, but the highly paid veterans, including those with No Movement Clauses need to know who’s running the show.   Can Eakins assert himself in that way without nuking things like he did in Edmonton (though I’m sure Eakins has developed additional coaching skills since then). Eakins has had success at the AHL level, but not the NHL.  Fan1993 is probably right, if he was sure he was the guy, GMBM would have likely committed to hiring Eakins after the Gulls were out of the playoffs.   Myself, I think the Wolves coach should get an interview too.  Since it will be a budget hire, maybe Murray looks in Europe too.

 

Who are these highly paid vets? Certainly the few minority. I don’t think we should be catering to the vets anymore quite frankly anyways. They have less than 3 years left on the team and should start handing over the reins to the younger generation. Each year they will be decreasing their ability exponentially while the young players are on an upward route still. The coach should should be more focused on the younger players, whoever it may be. Honestly I don’t know who and don’t have any preferences on who it could or should be. There is no available coach right now that ‘’screams’’ elite legendary prophet coach. All there is available are coaches who are all on the same level and grade. No stand outs. Just penny saver coaches left but that’s how Bob likes it. He gets a stir out of bargain diving when all the other shoppers have already come through the store picking up the shining stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

If Bob wanted to hire Eakins, he would have done it few weeks ago. 

Not sure about that. Bob is slow to react to anything. He also wants people to believe he put in a good faith effort in finding a coach by doing bogus interviews like he did right before hiring RC. Bob is one of the most predictable “unimaginative” (lol thanks Gorb) GMs. Everyone has got an MO and Bob certainly plays his role to the “T”. Conserve, thrifty, bargain hunter, that’s Bob the Stool Bar for ya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getzlaf et al tanked twice on Carlyle. I would not have hired RC the second time, but Murray did, and ultimately it led to a full team quit job.  For the next two years. you will need a coach to manage the team “leadership” group.  A guy who can lead, not just manage. The team leadership exerts some control over the whole team, both in positive ways, but can be negatively as well.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Not sure about that. Bob is slow to react to anything. He also wants people to believe he put in a good faith effort in finding a coach by doing bogus interviews like he did right before hiring RC. Bob is one of the most predictable “unimaginative” (lol thanks Gorb) GMs. Everyone has got an MO and Bob certainly plays his role to the “T”. Conserve, thrifty, bargain hunter, that’s Bob the Stool Bar for ya. 

Bruce Boudreau?  That was a snap hire.  I disagree with your assessment that Murray is doing interviews to act like he’s doing due diligence.  He’s only a budget guy because that’s what he has to work with.  The Samueli’s are the ones with all the money, and they give direction on how much he can spend.

Edited by Fowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Bruce Boudreau?  That was a snap hire.  I disagree with your assessment that Murray is doing interviews to act like he’s doing due diligence.  He’s only a budget guy because that’s what he has to work with.  The Samueli’s are the ones with all the money, and they give direction on how much he can spend.

BB was pretty fast. Bob in a rare show of quickness. 

If the hire is indeed Eakins then I think that’s who it was always going to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm willing to coach next season at league minimum, ha ha.  I'll let the players tell me how the team should be coached, what players to sign, what players to trade. In effect, the full LeBron treatment. In December we'll go over where they were wrong, where they were right, and make adjustments. Give them incentives for the trade deadline. Like, if we're leading the Pacific the week before the TDL, I'll take on salary to acquire a player of their choice.

And, since I'll be making bottom dollar, I'll have no fear of losing the gig. So if they start tanking, I'll let the world know.

Win/win! Where do I sign? Ha ha.

Edited by Thom-74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

I'm willing to coach next season at league minimum, ha ha.  I'll let the players tell me how the team should be coached, what players to sign, what players to trade. In effect, the full LeBron treatment. In December we'll go over where they were wrong, where they were right, and make adjustments. Give them incentives for the trade deadline. Like, if we're leading the Pacific the week before the TDL, I'll take on salary to acquire a player of their choice.

And, since I'll be making bottom dollar, I'll have no fear of losing the gig. So if they start tanking, I'll let the world know.

Win/win! Where do I sign? Ha ha.

You couldn’t have done much worse than that 20 game stretch of mostly losing.  You’re hired.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

If Bob wanted to hire Eakins, he would have done it few weeks ago. 

Could he be interviewing others to help "Cover His A**" if Eakins does not work out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Bob is also looking at some guys in still in the playoffs...

Joe Sacco...assistant coach for the Bruins...ex-mighty duck...that Bruins PK has been lights out lately this post season! Bob even said in an interview somewhere he disagrees with interviewing coaches while they are still in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I wonder if Bob is also looking at some guys in still in the playoffs...

Joe Sacco...assistant coach for the Bruins...ex-mighty duck...that Bruins PK has been lights out lately this post season! Bob even said in an interview somewhere he disagrees with interviewing coaches while they are still in the playoffs.

Oh an ex duck. That would be novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocky Thompson, Chicago Wolves....Calder Cup Finals....Just in:  Wolves 4, Checkers 3 (OT) Game 1 just finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I wonder if Bob is also looking at some guys in still in the playoffs...

Joe Sacco...assistant coach for the Bruins...ex-mighty duck...that Bruins PK has been lights out lately this post season! Bob even said in an interview somewhere he disagrees with interviewing coaches while they are still in the playoffs.

Ex head coach of the AVS, Jack Adams finalist his first season.  He was a really fast skater, even by today’s standards.  He would have certainly been more prolific as a player in another era than the clutch ‘n grab 90s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

If Bob wanted to hire Eakins, he would have done it few weeks ago. 

Not while the Gulls were in the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This makes we wonder if BM is also interviewing for Eakins replacement in San Diego should he move Eakins to Anaheim. I would also add, since some are wondering about Eakins handling the vets, what I hear from all the players in San Diego is the team unity. That was built with vets, NHL borderline players and newbies. 
 

Hearing that the Anaheim Ducks will interview Minnesota-Duluth head coach Scott Sandelin this week as their search process continues..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Rocky Thompson, Chicago Wolves....Calder Cup Finals....Just in:  Wolves 4, Checkers 3 (OT) Game 1 just finished.

When I first learned the Wolves were Vegas AHL team I immediately got worried for the Gulls thinking they must be stacked with all the high draft picks they fleeced from the entry draft from other teams. Wonder if their coach is good or if his team is just loaded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

If Bob wanted to hire Eakins, he would have done it few weeks ago. 

While he was coaching the Gulls in the playoffs?  I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

When I first learned the Wolves were Vegas AHL team I immediately got worried for the Gulls thinking they must be stacked with all the high draft picks they fleeced from the entry draft from other teams. Wonder if their coach is good or if his team is just loaded 

I think both were factors....I attended the playoff games in San Diego.  The Wolves speed was a big advantage; they have really good players too ((Carr, McKenzie, Matteau, & two good goalies)).  There was very little space to maneuver, Chicago kept the gaps tight.  Thompson spent a lot of time as an AHL player, and has real good leadership skills by all accounts.  I’m fairly certain he’ll be an NHL bench boss at some point....He’s just over 40.  

Edited by Fowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 11:06 PM, hoxxey said:

This’s just a smokescreen 

It is a time waste.

 You can add Manitoba Moose Head Coach Pascal Vincent to the Mix in Ducks searching for a New Head Coach.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just him covering his butt with the brass and the fans saying "well, I interviewed a host of worthy candidates and the one we have is just the best..."  Barf...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hoxxey said:

It's just him covering his butt with the brass and the fans saying "well, I interviewed a host of worthy candidates and the one we have is just the best..."  Barf...

But we see through it...we know...as all Ducks Fans know. IF this team falters again we demand BM be removed.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, nieder said:

I don't know if a Perry buyout makes financial sense for the team. It would save us $6M this coming season but only $2M the next season, then we would be on the hook for $2M per season for 2 more years after that. If we aren't spending to the cap this coming season anyway then the main reason to move him is to make space for the kids.

Might be easier to just tell him he's shifting to the left wing.

So its being reported that Perry just dropped $7 million on a new house in London, Ontario, which is where he says he wants to stay "for the remainder of our lives" when he is done playing hockey. Makes me wonder: (a) would he consider waiving his NMC to go to an Eastern team closer to home, and (b) whether he made the home purchase now in anticipation of his career coming to an end before the remaining two years on his contract runs (i.e. maybe he's been informed of a potential buyout). 

For (a), Pears is a proud guy and I would bet that he is not keen on the idea of being relegated to a 3rd or 4th line role and the 2nd unit PP in favor of the kids, which seemingly became inevitable when Silf was re-signed. And since he obviously doesn't consider himself entrenched in the SoCal community for the long term, perhaps agreeing to a trade to an Eastern team would get him closer to his family (including his new baby) and the next phase of his life after hockey. I keep thinking that Buffalo would be a good landing spot for him. They aren't very deep on RW and could really use an infusion of "winners" after being such terrible losers for so long. Buffalo also has some solid depth at center, so whether he played with Eichel, Reinhart, or Mittelstadt he'd still be in a good position to score goals. We would probably have to take back some salary from Buffalo, but I'm thinking that Bogosian would be a decent salary to take back, since he's clearly been pushed out of their top-4 by Ristolainen and Monty. We also need a thug to play the right side opposite Fowler on our 2nd pairing IMO. Plus, Bogo only has one year left at a $5.15M cap hit ($6M in salary), so even if he walked away after one season, the Ducks still get a ton of cap benefit in 2020-21 for not having Perry's cap hit on the books (either his $8.65M or the $6M from a buyout).

For (b), I only bring this up because it seems like these types of "all-in" purchases are generally made by players when they're ready to hang up the skates, not when they still have two years left on their contract in a city 2,400 miles away. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

So its being reported that Perry just dropped $7 million on a new house in London, Ontario, which is where he says he wants to stay "for the remainder of our lives" when he is done playing hockey. Makes me wonder: (a) would he consider waiving his NMC to go to an Eastern team closer to home, and (b) whether he made the home purchase now in anticipation of his career coming to an end before the remaining two years on his contract runs (i.e. maybe he's been informed of a potential buyout). 

For (a), Pears is a proud guy and I would bet that he is not keen on the idea of being relegated to a 3rd or 4th line role and the 2nd unit PP in favor of the kids, which seemingly became inevitable when Silf was re-signed. And since he obviously doesn't consider himself entrenched in the SoCal community for the long term, perhaps agreeing to a trade to an Eastern team would get him closer to his family (including his new baby) and the next phase of his life after hockey. I keep thinking that Buffalo would be a good landing spot for him. They aren't very deep on RW and could really use an infusion of "winners" after being such terrible losers for so long. Buffalo also has some solid depth at center, so whether he played with Eichel, Reinhart, or Mittelstadt he'd still be in a good position to score goals. We would probably have to take back some salary from Buffalo, but I'm thinking that Bogosian would be a decent salary to take back, since he's clearly been pushed out of their top-4 by Ristolainen and Monty. We also need a thug to play the right side opposite Fowler on our 2nd pairing IMO. Plus, Bogo only has one year left at a $5.15M cap hit ($6M in salary), so even if he walked away after one season, the Ducks still get a ton of cap benefit in 2020-21 for not having Perry's cap hit on the books (either his $8.65M or the $6M from a buyout).

For (b), I only bring this up because it seems like these types of "all-in" purchases are generally made by players when they're ready to hang up the skates, not when they still have two years left on their contract in a city 2,400 miles away. 

Ohhh that's interesting...yeah...

I never really wanted to give up hope on Perry...I felt like when he came back in the line up we were a noticeably better team. He added the grit and passion and drive that EVERYONE ELSE (minus Cogs) was missing. But, I understand we have to make a decision that's best for the team.

He's never been a good skater...and we never really asked him to be one till recently...and that's tough to do. He dropped in the draft 'cause of his skating and his "recklessness" to drive towards the net. I'd hate to see him go. But that's the sentimental side of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Ohhh that's interesting...yeah...

I never really wanted to give up hope on Perry...I felt like when he came back in the line up we were a noticeably better team. He added the grit and passion and drive that EVERYONE ELSE (minus Cogs) was missing. But, I understand we have to make a decision that's best for the team.

He's never been a good skater...and we never really asked him to be one till recently...and that's tough to do. He dropped in the draft 'cause of his skating and his "recklessness" to drive towards the net. I'd hate to see him go. But that's the sentimental side of me.

It would be tough one considering he was one of the young Guns who contributed in Ducks winning their First Stanley Cup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

So its being reported that Perry just dropped $7 million on a new house in London, Ontario, which is where he says he wants to stay "for the remainder of our lives" when he is done playing hockey. Makes me wonder: (a) would he consider waiving his NMC to go to an Eastern team closer to home, and (b) whether he made the home purchase now in anticipation of his career coming to an end before the remaining two years on his contract runs (i.e. maybe he's been informed of a potential buyout). 

For (a), Pears is a proud guy and I would bet that he is not keen on the idea of being relegated to a 3rd or 4th line role and the 2nd unit PP in favor of the kids, which seemingly became inevitable when Silf was re-signed. And since he obviously doesn't consider himself entrenched in the SoCal community for the long term, perhaps agreeing to a trade to an Eastern team would get him closer to his family (including his new baby) and the next phase of his life after hockey. I keep thinking that Buffalo would be a good landing spot for him. They aren't very deep on RW and could really use an infusion of "winners" after being such terrible losers for so long. Buffalo also has some solid depth at center, so whether he played with Eichel, Reinhart, or Mittelstadt he'd still be in a good position to score goals. We would probably have to take back some salary from Buffalo, but I'm thinking that Bogosian would be a decent salary to take back, since he's clearly been pushed out of their top-4 by Ristolainen and Monty. We also need a thug to play the right side opposite Fowler on our 2nd pairing IMO. Plus, Bogo only has one year left at a $5.15M cap hit ($6M in salary), so even if he walked away after one season, the Ducks still get a ton of cap benefit in 2020-21 for not having Perry's cap hit on the books (either his $8.65M or the $6M from a buyout).

For (b), I only bring this up because it seems like these types of "all-in" purchases are generally made by players when they're ready to hang up the skates, not when they still have two years left on their contract in a city 2,400 miles away. 

I think you missed this part:

Quote

National Hockey League star Corey Perry, a London Knights legend, paid $7.25 million for a north London home in the Uplands area, north of Masonville, The Free Press has learned.

Perry agreed to discuss the purchase, asking the address not be mentioned because he moved from his former home on Chantry Place, not far from his new address, due to public pressure.

He basically moved a couple blocks from where he's lived in the off season for years.  This isn't a change of scenery.  This isn't an "all-in" purchase either, it's just a solidification of where he is now.

My understanding is that the wife and kids are here in SoCal during the regular season, which I bet is planned to include all of the school year (just in case they're in the playoffs).  He's not living away from them during the entirety of hockey season.

His performance and health this coming season are all that matters.  Perry is going to retire a Duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think you missed this part:

He basically moved a couple blocks from where he's lived in the off season for years.  This isn't a change of scenery.  This isn't an "all-in" purchase either, it's just a solidification of where he is now.

My understanding is that the wife and kids are here in SoCal during the regular season, which I bet is planned to include all of the school year (just in case they're in the playoffs).  He's not living away from them during the entirety of hockey season.

His performance and health this coming season are all that matters.  Perry is going to retire a Duck.

I didn't miss that part at all. By "all-in" I meant that this is the home Perry intends to spend his retirement in. Many athletes buy very nice homes while they're still playing, but then go all-in on their retirement home once they've decided where they want to permanently settle. That's exactly what Perry has done (and said he's done) here. It doesn't matter that he already had a house near there. He also has a nice house in Newport Beach, but he's obviously not intending to live there beyond his current contract. Also, his son isn't even two yet. Why would he be planning anything around the school year?

btw, what else could "all-in" have possibly meant in this context? He paid $7.25M for a house he said he wants to spend the rest of his life in. What did you think I meant by "all-in"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I didn't miss that part at all. By "all-in" I meant that this is the home Perry intends to spend his retirement in. Many athletes buy very nice homes while they're still playing, but then go all-in on their retirement home once they've decided where they want to permanently settle. That's exactly what Perry has done (and said he's done) here. It doesn't matter that he already had a house near there. He also has a nice house in Newport Beach, but he's obviously not intending to live there beyond his current contract. Also, his son isn't even two yet. Why would he be planning anything around the school year?

btw, what else could "all-in" have possibly meant in this context? He paid $7.25M for a house he said he wants to spend the rest of his life in. What did you think I meant by "all-in"?

 

When you mean by that I am thinking Ducks will be selling the farm to win or trade some key players to get some key players to regain the Stanley Cup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrej Sustr is taking his talents to China. D-man has signed a one-year deal with Kunlun of KHL

 

Нежданчик. Шустр подписал на два года с Куньлунем

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...