The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

Here our the financial implications of a potential buyout for Perry, per cap friendly:

SEASON | POST-BUYOUT CAP HIT

2019-20 | $2.625M

2020-21 | $6.625M

2021-22 | $2M

2022-23 | $2M

Does anyone want to argue in favor of this move, and pretend that paying a player $6.625M not to play for us is a good idea?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Here our the financial implications of a potential buyout for Perry, per cap friendly:

SEASON | POST-BUYOUT CAP HIT

2019-20 | $2.625M

2020-21 | $6.625M

2021-22 | $2M

2022-23 | $2M

Does anyone want to argue in favor of this move, and pretend that paying a player $6.625M not to play for us is a good idea?

That’s his cap number (due to contract structure) not how much he’ll actually be paid in 2020-21. The actual cost will be $2M per capfriendly.

I’m also still of the opinion that CP10 may want this too. He still believes he’s the second best player on the team, and I doubt he is happy with the thought of playing 3rd or 4th line minutes. If he really wanted to stay, he wouldn’t have waived the NMC and would have forced the buy out.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Would be a colossal mistake on many levels. If he is able to find a trade partner (I doubt it), so be it, and I would understand. But to buy him out when the team is neither in a cap crunch, nor contending, only indicates to me that Murray plans to throw money around in FA, which would be a huge mistake. That's not even taking into account the emotional side of the move with the fanbase and organization.

I've been a big BM defender on the boards up until recently. If he were to buyout Perry, that would be the final straw for me.

The other possibility is that he wants more flexibility to bring in players via trade. I firmly believe GMBM has a significant “hockey trade” in the works. He may be looking to use 1st or 2nd round picks or superfluous wingers as trade bait for a 2C or top-4 RHD, which would be helped by clearing Perry’s cap number. And if Pears is slated for 3rd or 4th line duty anyway, why not just roll with Sprong ($750K) and Sherwood ($925K) in those 3/4 RW spots instead of Pears’ $8.625M cap hit?

To me, keeping Pears and his $8.625M cap number as a 4th liner would be the colossal mistake. 

holy cr**! BM also thinking that Pears is not a first or second liner anymore. Wow! I guess being behind the bench actually did give him a clearer picture of what was going on. Hmmm Bob may already have a trade partner or he wouldn’t have asked Perry to waive me thinks AND looks like Perry has agreed to the trade by waiving his No Trade. I just can’t see any good player coming our way without putting in some good pieces to entice a team to taking him. But good on Bob. I’ve been saying for a while that Perry is not a 1st or 2nd liner anymore and his salary is crazy for a 3 or 4th line. But then where will a new team place him?? I love Perry but it’s a business and he’s no where the same player he was and it was a pipe dream to even think he was going to go back to being a 30+ goal scorer. The Ducks are better off without him as he’s taking up roster space for one of the young guns. Just hope that any deal made (buyout or trade) is satisfactory to Pears. Either way I wish him the best.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Would be a colossal mistake on many levels. If he is able to find a trade partner (I doubt it), so be it, and I would understand. But to buy him out when the team is neither in a cap crunch, nor contending, only indicates to me that Murray plans to throw money around in FA, which would be a huge mistake. That's not even taking into account the emotional side of the move with the fanbase and organization.

I've been a big BM defender on the boards up until recently. If he were to buyout Perry, that would be the final straw for me.

It's weird because when the Ducks re-signed Silfverberg, the only way I thought that it made any kind of sense was if they were able to move Perry one way or the other. Trading him is obviously a lot more difficult than buying him out and I would prefer the latter since the Ducks wouldn't losing any prospects or picks that would be needed to get a team to take him along with either taking a contract back or retaining salary. I didn't really see Murray doing either this offseason, so I am a little surprised by this if it does in fact happen. As dtsdlaw said, the $6.625 mil is his cap hit, not what he'll actually get paid which is $2 mil per year for the next four years. It's not great by any means but I think that it is the lesser of two evils but it would free up a much needed spot on RW. The Ducks are in transition and unfortunately it looks like a guy who will have his number in the rafters and a top-5 player in franchise history is going to be a casualty because of it. I don't think that he's going rid himself of an onerous contract of an aging player and then make a big free agency pick-up and risk Backes, Ladd, Lucic or Eriksson type scenario. Especially after extending Henrique last season.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

The other possibility is that he wants more flexibility to bring in players via trade. I firmly believe GMBM has a significant “hockey trade” in the works. He may be looking to use 1st or 2nd round picks or superfluous wingers as trade bait for a 2C or top-4 RHD, which would be helped by clearing Perry’s cap number. And if Pears is slated for 3rd or 4th line duty anyway, why not just roll with Sprong ($750K) and Sherwood ($925K) in those 3/4 RW spots instead of Pears’ $8.625M cap hit?

To me, keeping Pears and his $8.625M cap number as a 4th liner would be the colossal mistake. 

Agreed and I hope that he is targeting a 2C upgrade more than top-4 defensemen, but they can't go wrong with either.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

It would make no sense and for the Ducks they need to find the right team to take him in exchange for hopefully a Player that can contribute in reclaim the Stanley Cup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

18 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's weird because when the Ducks re-signed Silfverberg, the only way I thought that it made any kind of sense was if they were able to move Perry one way or the other. Trading him is obviously a lot more difficult than buying him out and I would prefer the latter since the Ducks wouldn't losing any prospects or picks that would be needed to get a team to take him along with either taking a contract back or retaining salary. I didn't really see Murray doing either this offseason, so I am a little surprised by this if it does in fact happen. As dtsdlaw said, the $6.625 mil is his cap hit, not what he'll actually get paid which is $2 mil per year for the next four years. It's not great by any means but I think that it is the lesser of two evils but it would free up a much needed spot on RW. The Ducks are in transition and unfortunately it looks like a guy who will have his number in the rafters and a top-5 player in franchise history is going to be a casualty because of it. I don't think that he's going rid himself of an onerous contract of an aging player and then make a big free agency pick-up and risk Backes, Ladd, Lucic or Eriksson type scenario. Especially after extending Henrique last season.

Agreed and I hope that he is targeting a 2C upgrade more than top-4 defensemen, but they can't go wrong with either.

How about Steel at #2? Then put Rico on his or Getz wing. 

20 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

How about Steel at #2? Then put Rico on his or Getz wing. 

I think that Steel would be in way over his head at 2C at this point. He only has 22 games of NHL experience and is going to have to ease and develop his way into that role, assuming he can at all. I hope that he just solidifies the 3C spot next year (which won't be easy in itself) as he goes through the growing pains of his first full NHL season. Same goes for Terry, Jones and the other prospects. To me, any upgrade at center would involve moving on from Henrique, who is still much better and more consistent than Steel right now.

I thought I read he's also due a bonus on the 20-21 season. Can someone confirm this? 

Here's the other thing though, who is going to take his contract? Arizona? Florida? You need a team that has plenty of cap space. I'm not sold on this. If a buyout is really in the works I'd say keep him for another year and see where he's at after that. Whos going to come in and really be able to do some damage? Laine? Panarin? Seriously you think BM is going to do that? Lol I'd be very surprised about that. 

Perry the previous year was the second highest scorer on the team. He was injured this past year but as some have also noted that the team started playing differently when he came back. Could just be BM behind the bench. But I'm not sold on the idea. We're not in a cap crunch and you might get a better deal on the last year of his contract anyway. I'm more afraid of what BM MIGHT with the extra space then of Perry running out his contract. Let the kids develope! See what you have next year unless he's really going after the top tier FA this year. 

4 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

who is going to take his contract?

SJ may lose Karlsson and Thornton... so they have space...

CBJ also wants the cup...

but the issue is it. his contract is way too expensive.. maybe we can keep buy some salary of him for a better trade...

Edited by Spike1981

7 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I thought I read he's also due a bonus on the 20-21 season. Can someone confirm this? 

Here's the other thing though, who is going to take his contract? Arizona? Florida? You need a team that has plenty of cap space. I'm not sold on this. If a buyout is really in the works I'd say keep him for another year and see where he's at after that. Whos going to come in and really be able to do some damage? Laine? Panarin? Seriously you think BM is going to do that? Lol I'd be very surprised about that. 

Perry the previous year was the second highest scorer on the team. He was injured this past year but as some have also noted that the team started playing differently when he came back. Could just be BM behind the bench. But I'm not sold on the idea. We're not in a cap crunch and you might get a better deal on the last year of his contract anyway. I'm more afraid of what BM MIGHT with the extra space then of Perry running out his contract. Let the kids develope! See what you have next year unless he's really going after the top tier FA this year. 

Actually he was 3rd, behind Rakell and Getzlaf. But that was when he was still getting top line and #1 PP time. I think GMBM is convinced that Perry would be a bottom-6 guy moving forward if he stays and therefore won’t get as many opportunities to score. And since he doesn’t kill penalties and can’t play a checking line role, there’s no real good place for him. Perry clearly knows this too, or else he wouldn’t have waived the NMC for a chance to go elsewhere.

To your question about the bonus, Pears’ contract was $69M, with $20M in signing bonus and $49M in salary. Both the salary and signing bonus were allocated unevenly over the life of the contract. So for example, none of his SB was assigned to the 2019-20 cap, so he will be earning a straight $8M salary this coming season (which I believe is paid out in 82 payments as “game checks”). Next season, the final year of his contract, his cap number has been allocated the remaining $3M of his SB (which gets paid July 1) and the the remaining $4M of his salary. Since SBs are guaranteed, he gets that $3M regardless of buyout. The Ducks can only buyout 2/3 of his remaining $12M salary. So if they do buy him out, they’ll pay him $11M of the $15M he is still owed.

4 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

SJ may lose Karlsson and Thornton... so they have space...

CBJ also wants the cup...

but the issue is it. his contract is way too expensive.. maybe we can keep buy some salary of him for a better trade...

Trade would be better but who knows....If the Ducks need to Trade it must be now....as I said Ducks need Shakeup via Trade it's long overdue.

My guess would be that any trade would have the Ducks retain salary in the ballpark of the cap hit from buying Perry out.  So that the trade equals an improvement over a buyout. The Ducks would also retain the cost of the bonus... that's my guess.

Edited by Thom-74

The reason I signed on this morning though... when are the Ducks picking a head coach? The draft is two weeks away.  St. Louis could lift the Cup tonight.  We're starting to run out of time, unless BMGM wants to draft without input from a coach, and let the coach deal with the consequences?

16 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

The reason I signed on this morning though... when are the Ducks picking a head coach? The draft is two weeks away.  St. Louis could lift the Cup tonight.  We're starting to run out of time, unless BMGM wants to draft without input from a coach, and let the coach deal with the consequences?

Coach?  Who needs a coach?  With input?  Nah...  What a crappy organization this truly is.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Actually he was 3rd, behind Rakell and Getzlaf. But that was when he was still getting top line and #1 PP time. I think GMBM is convinced that Perry would be a bottom-6 guy moving forward if he stays and therefore won’t get as many opportunities to score. And since he doesn’t kill penalties and can’t play a checking line role, there’s no real good place for him. Perry clearly knows this too, or else he wouldn’t have waived the NMC for a chance to go elsewhere.

To your question about the bonus, Pears’ contract was $69M, with $20M in signing bonus and $49M in salary. Both the salary and signing bonus were allocated unevenly over the life of the contract. So for example, none of his SB was assigned to the 2019-20 cap, so he will be earning a straight $8M salary this coming season (which I believe is paid out in 82 payments as “game checks”). Next season, the final year of his contract, his cap number has been allocated the remaining $3M of his SB (which gets paid July 1) and the the remaining $4M of his salary. Since SBs are guaranteed, he gets that $3M regardless of buyout. The Ducks can only buyout 2/3 of his remaining $12M salary. So if they do buy him out, they’ll pay him $11M of the $15M he is still owed.

I know it doesn't count extra against the cap but thanks for clarifying the sb. This means his salary is still fairly high for that season. And for the remainder of the contract for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

I'm very curious if BM wants to talk to someone on the coaching staff from Boston or St. Louis...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm very curious if BM wants to talk to someone on the coaching staff from Boston or St. Louis...

He said, he wait till the favorite man is out of the playoffs. Either this man doesn‘t wanted or is one of these 2 teams. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think the cap hit is worse, imo. If Perry was paid $6.625M, himself, and the cap hit was 2M, that would only be a big deal to the Samueli's, because it's not my money, and the team takes a small cap hit. And if that was the case, I would hate it, but understand it more because that would be $6+mil of cap relief. 

Paying Perry 2M not to play, then taking a $6.625M cap hit seems like a terrible message to send to the fanbase. It screams cheap, and hinders management in shaping the roster. There are players that play top 6/top4 roles that play and make less than that.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

I think the cap hit is worse, imo. If Perry was paid $6.625M, himself, and the cap hit was 2M, that would only be a big deal to the Samueli's, because it's not my money, and the team takes a small cap hit. And if that was the case, I would hate it, but understand it more because that would be $6+mil of cap relief. 

Paying Perry 2M not to play, then taking a $6.625M cap hit seems like a terrible message to send to the fanbase. It screams cheap, and hinders management in shaping the roster. There are players that play top 6/top4 roles that play and make less than that.

I think that the fan base is well aware about the state of the Ducks, where Perry is in his career and understand why the team is moving on from him. Most will be sad because of what Perry has meant to this franchise but I don't think it's a terrible message that will anger fans or turn them away. One thing that the Ducks haven't been in the last 3-4 years is cheap. Plus, everyone pretty much agrees that vastly overpaid anyway and want to see what someone like Terry can do in his place.

Perry wasn't just a top-6 or even first line. He was a franchise altering player and NHL star who was one of the best goal scorers in the league over a 10-year period. He got paid accordingly for that and for what it meant to the franchise. The cap hit isn't much of a problem. The Ducks aren't going to have any expensive free agents to re-sign after next season and will have $19 mil in space before accounting for the cap rising. 

• Like 1

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned is, would this affect FA in signing here if they're going to be bought out/ moved because of these types of scenarios? 

Say Panarin would sign here (yeah right, but we can dream). He decides to sign a long term contract with a no move clause (we hate it but it helps convince big FA to stay here). He sees what's happening with Perry, would that make him think twice? I mean it happens with other teams but Detroit, for example, wanted to keep Datsyuk even though the team was going no where. Those are the type of players you keep around at that stage to mentor the kids. Perry is also in the position that he's only played with one franchise. Though Patrick M in San Jose is an example of a player that left, albeit in FA.

So again, could this affect potential FA?

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

so, either they aren't waiting for the knee to be in top shape, or it already is in top shape, and it's lacking.

sucks.  i would have loved for him to have a resurgence a-la teemu.  or at least more of a chance.

I would not mind that too but it is what it is.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

Is Bob trying to figure out if Randy can come back or something? Lol what's the holdup?!!

it just shows lack of direction and the inability to act decisively.  Who needs a coach anyway?

• Like 1

The Stanley Cup Finals are still going, so the Ducks are unlikely to make a major announcement like this while the rest of league is focused on the Finals.  It could happen in the next 10 days though, prior to the Draft.

Does anyone else think that the stanley cup playoffs has anything to do with a new coach?  It ain't like it just happened.  The team hasn't had a real coach in months...

Color me NOT impressed by any of this - especially from a "Pro" team.

It's "No Pro" in my book.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Does anyone else think that the stanley cup playoffs has anything to do with a new coach?  It ain't like it just happened.  The team hasn't had a real coach in months...

Color me NOT impressed by any of this - especially from a "Pro" team.

It's "No Pro" in my book.

I think they are waiting till Stanley Cup Final is over then they will want the spotlight on them...Ducks want let everyone know who their Coach is...besides I am hoping for Eakins or Vincent.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

BM:  Hey shine that spotlight over here so you and the rest of the world can see how inept we are...  Truth is, I never wanted RC to leave - I was forced into doing it..."

Media:  Jeez...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

BM:  Hey shine that spotlight over here so you and the rest of the world can see how inept we are...  Truth is, I never wanted RC to leave - I was forced into doing it..."

Media:  Jeez...

Who knows one thing we want is this team to bounce back...BM knows he can screw this up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck