The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

19 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, but I would have been absolutely fine with that because the Ducks were not going to contend at all that season and were on a downward trajectory towards their rebuild/re-tool/ transition or whatever they want to call it. That's why it still baffles me that Murray wasted our biggest trading chip to try and salvage a season where the team wasn't going to be close to the Cup, let alone doing it for Henrique. It was just a short sided move that I think made getting back to the SCF more difficult in the long run. I would have rather utilized the picks from trading Vatanen to build up our prospect pool or maybe leverage them in a trade to bring in a younger, more quality player.

Murray likes to be baffling.We were actually below the Rangers at one point they then went on to draft Kakko  .  Murray had a brainstorm thought he should try his hand at this coaching lark  he steadily moved the Ducks away from the top draft picks.

Edited by mulcher

16 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, I'm not high on Henrique unless he's in a 3C role. Trading Vatanen for him makes sense, to me at least, if you're going to make a run and you need to solidify that position behind a healthy Getzlaf and Kesler. Otherwise, I just don't get it. I still love that we got Blandisi in that trade and then traded him for Grant, who we let walk in free agency lol

I like Rico but he’s better served at the LW position than the C. Maybe this coming season they put him and Gezt on top with Kase at RW while Steel and the other kids take the 2 line. 

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

You just gotta say this...BUT i am curious to see what the Ducks do on July 1st. It would not surprise me if they sign Depth players but of course we gotta wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I’m still hopeful GMBM has something in the works trade-wise for a right-shot top-4 D-man. It is a gaping hole in the lineup and there isn’t much worth pursuing in free agency beyond maybe Stralman. We are also looking at $8M+ in case space even without Eaves or Kesler on LTIR, and we still have too many wingers to start the season with. There HAS to be a trade in the works, right?!?!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I like Rico but he’s better served at the LW position than the C. Maybe this coming season they put him and Gezt on top with Kase at RW while Steel and the other kids take the 2 line. 

Good point and I agree. In an ideal situation we'd be loaded enough at center to have Henrique be on the wing. He's still the second best center on the team and I think that is where he's going to be slotted. If Steel is going to surpass him on the depth him and be a legit 2C, I'm not betting that he's going to do it this season. I think that would be asking way too much of him (he's only played 22 NHL games) and I want to see him be able to lock down and thrive as a 3C first.

25 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m still hopeful GMBM has something in the works trade-wise for a right-shot top-4 D-man. It is a gaping hole in the lineup and there isn’t much worth pursuing in free agency beyond maybe Stralman. We are also looking at $8M+ in case space even without Eaves or Kesler on LTIR, and we still have too many wingers to start the season with. There HAS to be a trade in the works, right?!?!

I think there will be for the reasons you said. As much as a I want a center upgrade, bolstering the defense is the probably the wisest move for Murray to make. Making sure that Gibson doesn't have to endure anything remotely close to what he's gone through for the last two seasons should be their biggest priority. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Should be one...If we know our Ducks going into 26th season with only one Wing is strange.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Good point and I agree. In an ideal situation we'd be loaded enough at center to have Henrique be on the wing. He's still the second best center on the team and I think that is where he's going to be slotted. If Steel is going to surpass him on the depth him and be a legit 2C, I'm not betting that he's going to do it this season. I think that would be asking way too much of him (he's only played 22 NHL games) and I want to see him be able to lock down and thrive as a 3C first.

I think there will be for the reasons you said. As much as a I want a center upgrade, bolstering the defense is the probably the wisest move for Murray to make. Making sure that Gibson doesn't have to endure anything remotely close to what he's gone through for the last two seasons should be their biggest priority. 

Absolutely agree here. Although it looks like they have the cap space to do both. Even just putting Eaves on LTIR bumps the available cap space to over $11M.

The biggest RHD names out there on the trade block seem to be Ristolainen, Ceci, Zaitsev and Barrie. Any of those interest you?

Edited by dtsdlaw

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Absolutely agree here. Although it looks like they have the cap space to do both. Even just putting Eaves on LTIR bumps the available cap space to over $11M.

The biggest RHD names out there on the trade block seem to be Ristolainen, Ceci, Zaitsev and Barrie. Any of those interest you?

I want Ceci.....Risto may cost us.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don’t think so not at least till later in the season when he sees what this team can do. I think the Perry buyout is the extent of what what see for now. And that was purely to make room for the young kids to play

9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Barrie would be amazing, he drives offense and still defends pretty well. He pretty much does everything well and he'd be an insane boost to the PP. I just don't see Murray parting with the assets needed to trade for him or sign him to the massive extension that he'll get next year. Cody Ceci scares me a lot. From what I have read, his underlying numbers have not been good at all over his career and he's regarded as being awful in his own end with turnovers and general decision making. Ristolainen might be the one I take out of the four, he's got some solid offensive ability and defends the front of the net relatively well. He still has areas where he needs to make major improvements (break outs and defending zone entries mainly), but I think that he's much better suited for a second pairing role and that our coaching staff will really help him. Plus, he's only 24.

One person that I have always liked and would like to get is Brian Dumoulin from Pittsburgh. I don't think the Pens are shopping him but I like his game. Not great offensively but he's as steady as the come in pretty much every other area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I don’t think so not at least till later in the season when he sees what this team can do. I think the Perry buyout is the extent of what what see for now. And that was purely to make room for the young kids to play

If true, who do you have penciled for our three pairings? I don’t think the Ducks even have enough warm bodies on the backend to fill out a lineup card right now. At least one more D-man will be added somehow before the season starts.

I’m hoping for Ristolainen, would be fine with Ceci, and if neither of those happen I would just hope GMBM doesn’t thrown stupid money at Tyler Myers in free agency,

Edited by dtsdlaw

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Barrie is really the only name of those that interest me, but it's only a one-year contract, which doesn't really fit the Ducks' needs.  I suppose I could talk myself into Ristolainen.  Zaitsev would be a solid second pairing guy, but he's not great, and that contract goes for a long time.  If his performance dips a little bit, it's an overpay.  If his performance dips more, it's an anchor.  As for Ceci, I hope Bob hangs up the phone immediately if his name comes up.  Ceci is awful at any price.  As far as I'm concerned, Ottawa would have to give us Chabot just to THINK about taking Ceci off their hands.  

Hard pass on Zaitsev. He's a bottom pair pylon on an atrocious contract that runs for the next 5 years. He's already overpaid and he's got a NTC kicking in next season on top of everything. Remember how handcuffing it was to carry Bieksa's contract for just a couple of years? The Leafs are beyond desperate to move him. If they can give up a future 1st round pick to dump Marleau for only a 6th, they're likely to add a very good piece to any deal involving Zaitsev. No way is he worth bringing in by himself though. Gimme Kapanen if you want to dump that black hole onto our team. 

• Like 1

The lack of us being mentioned in trade rumors bothers me. I know that doesn't mean we're not involved but still. I think BM should be all over ristolainen or a signed Barrie. That might prove too costly however.

15 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

The lack of us being mentioned in trade rumors bothers me. I know that doesn't mean we're not involved but still. I think BM should be all over ristolainen or a signed Barrie. That might prove too costly however.

Ducks GM Bob Murray's downside he is passive in making Big time Trades...which I call it "Pronger-type".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Ducks GM Bob Murray's downside he is passive in making Big time Trades...which I call it "Pronger-type".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

How often do those pay off?....I feel like ROR was a big one for St. Louis...but...I mean....Pronger was definitely a big one for us...but...trades or UFA signings...I just don't see much of them truly moving the needle to a STANLEY CUP. Pronger and ROR are the only ones I can think of just off the top of my head...

I mean...if we wont 2015, MAYBE I'd put in Kesler there...but also, we didn't win lol

Edited by Jasoaks

Just now, Jasoaks said:

How often do those pay off?....I feel like ROR was a big one for St. Louis...but...I mean....Pronger was definitely a big one for us...but...trades or UFA signings...I just don't see much of them truly moving the needle to a STANLEY CUP. Pronger and ROR are the only ones I can think of just off the top of my head...

IT'S GAMBLE...sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

27 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I mean...if we wont 2015, MAYBE I'd put in Kesler there...but also, we didn't win lol

If only the Kesler trade happened a few months earlier :unsure:

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

You could argue vermette for Chicago. Maybe Carter for the kings. Yeah it's really hard to point to a single player otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, g20topdogg said:

You could argue vermette for Chicago. Maybe Carter for the kings. Yeah it's really hard to point to a single player otherwise. 

Carter....hmmmmm yeah....Vermette well....then we're starting to get to 3rd/4th line players which...well...starts to prove the point that Murray should feel fine making those signings/trades :P  I'm more just trying to point out how rarely those "big name trades/signings" really actually pan out and move the needle to a Stanley Cup. 

9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Carter....hmmmmm yeah....Vermette well....then we're starting to get to 3rd/4th line players which...well...starts to prove the point that Murray should feel fine making those signings/trades :P  I'm more just trying to point out how rarely those "big name trades/signings" really actually pan out and move the needle to a Stanley Cup. 

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I can't think of a blockbuster trade that turned someone into a cup contender lately. Maybe it happened more before the salary cap...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I really wanted Murray to go after ROR. The guy is an absolute stallion that can do literally everything. As far as the Ducks moving the needle towards a Cup, I think them actually starting the youth movement is the first step to hopefully get them back there. If things go well with Eakins and the prospects along with a savvy trade or two, then this team could be a lot of fun in two years. 

28 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I can't think of a blockbuster trade that turned someone into a cup contender lately. Maybe it happened more before the salary cap...

Ryan O’ Reilly!

Mr. Conn Smythe and Señor Selke.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Risto is a minus machine.

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards were both blockbusters in 2012. LA doesn’t win their first Cup without them. They also may not have won in 2014 if not for the Gaborik trade.

Kessel for Pittsburgh in 2015 was a blockbuster. He was a beast in the 2016 SC playoffs and should have won the Conn Smythe that year while playing on the HBK line with Hagelin and Bonino (also acquired that season via trades).

The 2011 Bruins made two blockbuster trades. The first was sending Wideman +1st + 3rd for Horton + Campbell. The second was at the deadline when they traded a 1st + 2nd + two prospects for Tomas Kaberle.

Outside of trades, many recent champs have also relied on major UFA signings to get them to the mountain top. Chicago probably has zero Cups without Hossa, and same goes for Boston without Chara. LA probably doesn’t win their first Cup without Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi. Anaheim certainly doesn’t have one without Scotty (and Teemu, who also came back as a UFA).

What’s actually rare is for an organization to win a Cup solely with home grown talent. Outside of maybe Detroit, I can’t think of a Cup winner in the past two decades who didn’t rely heavily on players brought in via trade or free agency to get them to a championship. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards were both blockbusters in 2012. LA doesn’t win their first Cup without them. They also may not have won in 2014 if not for the Gaborik trade.

Kessel for Pittsburgh in 2015 was a blockbuster. He was a beast in the 2016 SC playoffs and should have won the Conn Smythe that year while playing on the HBK line with Hagelin and Bonino (also acquired that season via trades).

The 2011 Bruins made two blockbuster trades. The first was sending Wideman +1st + 3rd for Horton + Campbell. The second was at the deadline when they traded a 1st + 2nd + two prospects for Tomas Kaberle.

Outside of trades, many recent champs have also relied on major UFA signings to get them to the mountain top. Chicago probably has zero Cups without Hossa, and same goes for Boston without Chara. LA probably doesn’t win their first Cup without Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi. Anaheim certainly doesn’t have one without Scotty (and Teemu, who also came back as a UFA).

What’s actually rare is for an organization to win a Cup solely with home grown talent. Outside of maybe Detroit, I can’t think of a Cup winner in the past two decades who didn’t rely heavily on players brought in via trade or free agency to get them to a championship. 

Yeeeep...can't think of any....

... :P 

But, I definitely meant more like...immediate move the needle...whether trade deadline acquisition or the most recent off-season, so like I wouldn't count the Chara signing. But you bring up some good points about players...Kessel for sure. Agreed. He should have gotten the Smythe, no doubt about it. And like, you could argue there's no Cup for a bunch of teams without a bunch of players they signed at some point and still had on the team or traded for them.

9 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Risto is a minus machine.

He sure is but he also put up just over 40 points for the last 4 seasons on a crappy team. And he's big and probably won't get pushed around in front of our net.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

Here's a list of free agents (reported on capfriendly) that I think fit our bill:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/age/all/forwards/ufa&limits=caphit-1000000-6000000,gp-30-90,goals-10-80,assists-10-80,points-30-130,shots-99-399

I would say that Maroon might be signed... but he may not want to come back here.  he didn't have enough goals or points, i don't remember.

Dis' be a darned good list, Fisix!

The top of it is loaded with dinosaurs, of which only Pavelski the mini Joe seems reasonable, but it's the middle of the list where it gets fun - I wonder if Bob will bite on an Anders Lee or a Gustav Nyquist, or even a Matt Duchene?! Simmonds was mentioned here is declining and will demand a lot of $$$, there's also a wet dream Panarin and a safer dumpster dive in Marcus Johansson from Boston.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeeeep...can't think of any....

... :P 

But, I definitely meant more like...immediate move the needle...whether trade deadline acquisition or the most recent off-season, so like I wouldn't count the Chara signing. But you bring up some good points about players...Kessel for sure. Agreed. He should have gotten the Smythe, no doubt about it. And like, you could argue there's no Cup for a bunch of teams without a bunch of players they signed at some point and still had on the team or traded for them.

One thing about these kind of real impact  trades are the circumstances around them. Issues like players wanting out of town, friction with management, cap issues can suddenly make these players available at a reasonable price for teams that have the ability to do so. Timing is everything. What if the right trade just isn’t available right now? We all want to see a major shakeup but I don’t want to waste assets to make a trade just for the sake of doing it.

Perhaps when our Ducks drop the Puck in Oct3rd...We may see a mixture of Youth and Experience it's what win us the Stanley Cup 12 years ago.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

One thing about these kind of real impact  trades are the circumstances around them. Issues like players wanting out of town, friction with management, cap issues can suddenly make these players available at a reasonable price for teams that have the ability to do so. Timing is everything. What if the right trade just isn’t available right now? We all want to see a major shakeup but I don’t want to waste assets to make a trade just for the sake of doing it.

Agreed. Timing is absolutely everything. But IMO, the timing is right now. The stars have aligned for the Ducks to pull the trigger on a trade for a solid RHD. Second-pair RHD is hands-down our #1 organizational need now, and how often do you see this many RHDs on the trade block? With so many available, the prices are going to be lower. And we also have a glut of assets we can move because we have too many wingers competing for spots on the roster. If GMBM doesn't figure out a way to get a RHD to play on the 2nd pairing with Fowler, it will be a major black eye on his resume, on par with his inability to find a legit LW to play with the Twins for the better part of a decade.

• Like 1