The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Coach/Lines for 2019-20 Season:

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. Timing is absolutely everything. But IMO, the timing is right now. The stars have aligned for the Ducks to pull the trigger on a trade for a solid RHD. Second-pair RHD is hands-down our #1 organizational need now, and how often do you see this many RHDs on the trade block? With so many available, the prices are going to be lower. And we also have a glut of assets we can move because we have too many wingers competing for spots on the roster. If GMBM doesn't figure out a way to get a RHD to play on the 2nd pairing with Fowler, it will be a major black eye on his resume, on par with his inability to find a legit LW to play with the Twins for the better part of a decade.

Who do you think that the Ducks should target and what could it take to get them? We have Sprong, Ritchie as obvious trade chips that we can dangle but don’t have any excess draft picks. We have a logjam on the left side with Guhle, Larsson and hopefully, Mahura. 

I agree with Murray’s black eye on a not getting a scoring winger for the twins and while shipping Ryan and Palms out of town. It seems like only recently he’s realized that having guys who can score more than the other team is a good thing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Who do you think that the Ducks should target and what could it take to get them? We have Sprong, Ritchie as obvious trade chips that we can dangle but don’t have any excess draft picks. We have a logjam on the left side with Guhle, Larsson and hopefully, Mahura. 

I agree with Murray’s black eye on a not getting a scoring winger for the twins and while shipping Ryan and Palms out of town. It seems like only recently he’s realized that having guys who can score more than the other team is a good thing.

My top choice would be Ristolainen from Buffalo. They need forwards and we've got plenty, and I think if they want Ritchie it could almost be a 1-for-1 swap (maybe like a 3rd or 4th rounder thrown in for balance), so the Ducks would be able to fill a huge hole without giving away much.

However, I've also been reading that Carolina may need to move one of Hamilton, Faulk or Pesce - all RHDs currently making over $4M/season. Pesce might be the most interesting because he's still only 24 and is still improving (7G last season even though he's stuck on a 3rd pairing behind Hamilton and Faulk). He is also cost-controlled because he's locked up for 5 more years at $4.05M/season. From what I saw of Pesce in the playoffs, I think  he'd be a solid 2nd pair guy for us. But that said, maybe it's time for GMBM to swing for the fences with either Hamilton or Faulk, both of whom are capable of 15+ goals. I don't know if GMBM has a relationship with GM Waddell such that they could hammer something out, but GMBM may have some connections to their Senior VP of Hockey Ops, Rick Dudley, who was an Assistant GM to GMBM's very close friend (and former defense partner) Marc Bergevin in Montreal, so its conceivable that they've spent some time together at the executive meetings over the years. Regardless, Carolina seems like they'd be a natural trade partner for the Ducks. First, there's zero rivalry there, so its akin to us trading with the Devils or Pens (which we've done a lot of). Second, they need LHDs and forwards and the Ducks have a lot of LHDs and forwards, so it would seem like they'd be interested in shopping our roster as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

My top choice would be Ristolainen from Buffalo. They need forwards and we've got plenty, and I think if they want Ritchie it could almost be a 1-for-1 swap (maybe like a 3rd or 4th rounder thrown in for balance), so the Ducks would be able to fill a huge hole without giving away much.

However, I've also been reading that Carolina may need to move one of Hamilton, Faulk or Pesce - all RHDs currently making over $4M/season. Pesce might be the most interesting because he's still only 24 and is still improving (7G last season even though he's stuck on a 3rd pairing behind Hamilton and Faulk). He is also cost-controlled because he's locked up for 5 more years at $4.05M/season. From what I saw of Pesce in the playoffs, I think  he'd be a solid 2nd pair guy for us. But that said, maybe it's time for GMBM to swing for the fences with either Hamilton or Faulk, both of whom are capable of 15+ goals. I don't know if GMBM has a relationship with GM Waddell such that they could hammer something out, but GMBM may have some connections to their Senior VP of Hockey Ops, Rick Dudley, who was an Assistant GM to GMBM's very close friend (and former defense partner) Marc Bergevin in Montreal, so its conceivable that they've spent some time together at the executive meetings over the years. Regardless, Carolina seems like they'd be a natural trade partner for the Ducks. First, there's zero rivalry there, so its akin to us trading with the Devils or Pens (which we've done a lot of). Second, they need LHDs and forwards and the Ducks have a lot of LHDs and forwards, so it would seem like they'd be interested in shopping our roster as well.

It seems like every defensemen except for Slavin on Carolina has been rumored to being on the trade block. Hamilton has character issues that Murray would likely frown upon. I didn't know that they have more money locked up in their top-4 D than we do. Everyone of their defensemen has great underlying possession stats and Pesce was seemingly a good shot blocker also. Their owner seems like a money-puck guy so I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to cut cost on the back end. He said that he'd never use a first round pick on a defensemen lol. So, you're right that they could seem like good trading partners. 

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Hehe Carolina takes it all...  they take benefit from the cap desperate teams...

They just bought out Marleau.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

They just bought out Marleau.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Wow. Corey Perry, Joe Pavelski, and Patrick Marleau are all UFAs this summer. I don't know why, but that just seems very weird to me.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Wow. Corey Perry, Joe Pavelski, and Patrick Marleau are all UFAs this summer. I don't know why, but that just seems very weird to me.

Little Joe would be a nice addition but I think he's going to demand quite a bit. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I know it's going to interesting Summer.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I cannot imagine us signing any big UFA forward...unless it's at a crazy good price, or one of those offers you just can't refuse type of situations...otherwise Bob will be looking to get that defenseman...and let the young guys play.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:00 AM, Aksun said:

Dis' be a darned good list, Fisix!

The top of it is loaded with dinosaurs, of which only Pavelski the mini Joe seems reasonable, but it's the middle of the list where it gets fun - I wonder if Bob will bite on an Anders Lee or a Gustav Nyquist, or even a Matt Duchene?! Simmonds was mentioned here is declining and will demand a lot of $$$, there's also a wet dream Panarin and a safer dumpster dive in Marcus Johansson from Boston.

Dzingal or Nyquist please. Under 30, over 0.50 ppg.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That last sentence is great. 👍👍

3 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Better offer sheets Connor and Laine, give them max. 8.4 mio and pay 1st, 2nd, 3th as compensation. If one of this two comes, nice. Both would be great... they cant keep both with the actual roster and salary  

imagine 2 young 50+ point guys ( at least one elite player with Laine) for 2 first, 2 second, 2 thirt...

Edited by Spike1981

2 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Better offer sheets Connor and Laine, give them max. 8.4 mio and pay 1st, 2nd, 3th as compensation. If one of this two comes, nice. Both would be great... they cant keep both with the actual roster and salary  

imagine 2 young 50+ point guys ( at least one elite player with Laine) for 2 first, 2 second, 2 thirt...

I have a hard time picturing BM offer sheet someone. I would be great though. I hope to see lots of offer sheets :lol: I'd hate it of someone did it to us but this summer with all those prime targets I'm really pulling for offersheets.

I wouldn't be opposed to Nyquist. But then we'd have to move another winger. I'm still not sold on Ritchie but he did silently become a 0.50 ppg player on a crappy team. Maybe there's still some untapped potential.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

When Ryan was here the twins had a bit more speed (or should I say they got up and down the ice quicker). For the past few years it is impossible to get a match for the twins except on the power play. A scoring winger who is fast and strong enough to get the puck out of the corners and pass the puck to a net front Perry or circling Getz, and then hustle back to play defense just does not exist.

Getz is still a dominate center. Perry can still go to the dirty places. They were just a liability when paired together lately.

Last season was just bizarre. Sprong was the leading scorer for a while and he only played 47 games for the team. Hopefully the hangover from Randy Carlyle is completely gone and the team can start producing more.

• Like 1

@overtimescottb Some NHL GMs will be free agent shopping in Beverly Hills some will be UFA shopping at the local dollar store. Making the right choice in either locale is important.

21 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I cannot imagine us signing any big UFA forward...unless it's at a crazy good price, or one of those offers you just can't refuse type of situations...otherwise Bob will be looking to get that defenseman...and let the young guys play.

I have feeling we may see Ducks pull off a trade.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

before the ED

Good point.

But with Laine and Zegras we would have 2 elite players. Give him the max for 1st, 2nd and 3th (8‘4... mio) you can sell some other players for picks before the ED... so at the end you have your pick back and 2 elite players.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, Thom-74 said:

Dzingal could be nice addition for the Ducks as is Donskoi. IF it happens.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

I'm guessing he's a cheaper version of Ritchie?  Just skimmed his stats...

No surprise since this is Ducks Depth move via Trade...yet this does not make any sense in stocking up on Depth.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

No surprise since this is Ducks Depth move via Trade...yet this does not make any sense in stocking up on Depth.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

We have too many young guys that I would like to see given a chance. 

6 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

We have too many young guys that I would like to see given a chance. 

It's best imho for the Ducks to trade for one skill player and have the young Guns develop under the mentorship of some vets.....But this smh.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I have to wonder if this is some sort of advanced analytics move, because on the surface, it seems to be unnecessary.  Players like Deslauriers can be had for far less (or even on waivers). Basically just moving pieces around.   I can’t recall the last time one of these types of moves paid any real dividends. 

3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

I have to wonder if this is some sort of advanced analytics move, because on the surface, it seems to be unnecessary.  Players like Deslauriers can be had for far less (or even on waivers). Basically just moving pieces around.   I can’t recall the last time one of these types of moves paid any real dividends. 

I’m pretty sure the Ducks still don’t have an advanced analytics program in place, so not likely. However, GMBM and Bergevin are good friends, so maybe we can hope this is a “favor” that will be repaid later. Bergevin just moved both Deslauriers and Shaw for only draft picks so maybe he’s big game hunting for a forward and is trying to clear contracts to make room. I could see Bob making a play here to help him, with the understanding that Bergevin will return the favor later.

At least I hope that’s the case, since moving a 4th for Deslauriers makes zero sense otherwise. :blink:

• Thanks 1