The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
hoxxey

playoff game...

47 minutes ago, nieder said:

All of those things seem to be refuted by dts' quote about the Gudas suspension.  In that case, it would not necessarily have been a suspension unless Gudas had a prior history.  He might have been fined or warned instead.  As long as it's something that requires ANY kind of supplementary discipline, even if that's a stern talking to, the level of punishment can be raised depending on whether the offender has a history of this stuff.

Maybe it has changed since 2016.  All I know is that Marchand should be fired into space on the first available rocket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Yeah, my thought was that the DPS has to determine an offense is worth of supplemental discipline first (not necessarily a suspension), whether that be a fine or a suspension.

Honestly 'warning' seems like a pretty low bar and I don't see how what Marchand did doesn't warrant at least a warning, which based on the quote from the video would elevate his discipline to a fine or suspension. I wonder what the bar is for issuing a warning? Couldn't pretty much any aggressive penalty be worthy of a warning, and therefore increase the penalty for a repeat offender?

I would assume so. And that scheme has probably been devised intentionally, because the league wants freedom to "change player behavior" for guys who just refuse to get with the program.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Hockey News article, also from 2016 - https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/six-tips-to-better-understand-supplemental-discipline-in-the-nhl

2. A PLAYER’S PAST OFFENSES DO NOT INCREASE THE ODDS OF A SUSPENSION – ONLY THE LENGTH

Myth: “Mr. X is a repeat offender, so he’ll be suspended for sure.”

Repeat offenders earn the same treatment as injuries in that, contrary to popular belief, they don’t increase the odds of a player being suspended. If the league determines a play in question isn’t suspendable, the repeat offender isn’t repeat offending, is he? Radko Gudas makes a perfect case study here. He has a history of getting in trouble with the DOPS, but this hit Oct. 3 on Jimmy Vesey wasn’t deemed illegal, so his past transgressions had zero impact:

Maybe this has changed since 2016, who knows.

I have to question that Hockey News article. It's trying to use Radko Gudas as an example, but they admit that his hit on Vesey was a LEGAL hit. I don't care who you are, if you make a legal play you are not going to be subject to discipline. The play at least has to be illegal to start with. Their example of Gudas is a complete non sequitur to their claim that a player's past offenses do not increase the likelihood of suspension.

Same issue with the Burke article. Their main quote appears to be: 

Not factors in determining if a hit is illegal are a player's discipline history and whether an injury resulted, Burke said. But those things are factors in determining a suspension's length.

But that's still determining whether something is ILLEGAL, not whether a clearly illegal act can be elevated to a higher level of discipline based on player history. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

On 5/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, PetrSykora said:

Carolina is the definition of quality over quantity when it comes to their playoff appearances. Seems like they make it once every hundred years but they manage to make a lot of noise each time they do. If the Islanders get swept it's cause of Brooklyn.

Stupid Islanders.

14 hours ago, poum said:

Stupid Islanders.

I'm trying to think of another team that only played 8 games in a playoff year. I'm sure it's probably happened before but it takes a special type of collapse to follow a sweep with a complete turd.

This will be Carolina's 4th straight conference final appearance. Seriously. I'm not sure what's more incredible.. The fact that they've made it this far again, or how you could raise a teenager if you combined all the years they've missed the playoffs during that stretch. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm trying to think of another team that only played 8 games in a playoff year. I'm sure it's probably happened before but it takes a special type of collapse to follow a sweep with a complete turd.

This will be Carolina's 4th straight conference final appearance. Seriously. I'm not sure what's more incredible.. The fact that they've made it this far again, or how you could raise a teenager if you combined all the years they've missed the playoffs during that stretch. 

Holy Garbutts! When Carolina does a thing they damn well a do thing.

Edited by poum

Can someone explain to me why the sharks get so many power play opportunities?  They MUST lead the league in that area.  It seems like they never get called for the cheap shots and crap they get away with.  They must have pictures of someone...

Can someone please join me in disliking the sharks as much as I do???  Jeez.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:23 PM, hoxxey said:

Can someone explain to me why the sharks get so many power play opportunities?  They MUST lead the league in that area.  It seems like they never get called for the cheap shots and crap they get away with.  They must have pictures of someone...

Historically speaking; during the regular season, Carolina has the most PP's (regular season). Where as the Ducks sit dead last. The ratio is horriyfing. I don't remember what it is and last time I tried to Google it went nowhere. The Ducks broadcast team will show it once, twice a year.

[edit] Sorry, it's power play differential. Carolina has gotten a ridiculous amount of PP's where as the Ducks get the short end of the call and receive more PK's. The two teams differ by 400 points? Carolina up 200+ while the Ducks are -200?

Stupid thing is, the Ducks own that spot. Chances are no one will over take their minus in the next ten years.

Edited by poum

Because for whatever reason they seem to have the reputation as a “clean” team with the refs.  The penalty disparity in Ducks games vs. SJ seems to be worse than against most other teams.

i stopped watching the SC playoffs this year after the 5 minute travesty that kept them going, and won’t watch them again until they’re eliminated.  It’s a good way to avoid the frustration you experienced on Saturday.

The Sharks have been short-handed more than any other team in the playoffs (46). Next closest is Colorado (38), then Carolina (36), Dallas (35), Boston (33), St Louis (28) and Columbus (24). Boston, Dallas and St Louis have all played the same number of games (12), Carolina has played 11 games, and Colorado 10. 

1 hour ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Because for whatever reason they seem to have the reputation as a “clean” team with the refs.  The penalty disparity in Ducks games vs. SJ seems to be worse than against most other teams.

i stopped watching the SC playoffs this year after the 5 minute travesty that kept them going, and won’t watch them again until they’re eliminated.  It’s a good way to avoid the frustration you experienced on Saturday.

Fully support this and really hope Colorado can bring it around! But it WAS still on Vegas to kill it off. That's on them. Horrible call by the refs, but it became a factor 'cause Vegas suddenly forgot how to play hockey.

4 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Lol, you're missing some great hockey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Fully support this and really hope Colorado can bring it around! But it WAS still on Vegas to kill it off. That's on them. Horrible call by the refs, but it became a factor 'cause Vegas suddenly forgot how to play hockey.

True, but if the call hadn’t been made, Vegas never would have been forced to kill a 5 minute penalty.  The Ducks draft pick from Buffalo would be around #22 overall, and the Sharks would desrevedly be eliminated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nieder said:

Lol, you're missing some great hockey.

That’s ok.  It will all be a total farce if SJ goes on to win the Cup.  I prefer to not waste my time, no matter how good the action may be.  

The Sharks are rubbing me the wrong way too. It's nothing compared to some of the other teams on my ****list, although most of those teams have already been eliminated outside of Dallas (who as much as I dislike them historically, this year's team honestly isn't bad at all. Plus they eliminated the 50 shades of filthy Preds so they'd get a pass from me even if they were the 2008 Stars). Every little thing San Jose does just stands out more to me because other teams aren't giving me a reason to dislike them.

Their entire demeanor last year was "look at these goons, cheer for us cause we're not like that!" but the second anything has gone wrong for them this year, their antics are just as embarrassing. They whine about officiating endlessly and get petty about apologies even after the refs literally gifted them the last series. They've got the next Filip Floorsberg in Meier, a guy who might be the strongest skater on the ice every time he's out but he'd rather use that leg strength to throw himself onto the ice and act like he's rehearsing a dying scene in a middle school drama class. Kane is a bum, they willingly ice Haley in the playoffs, and Dillon has always been a turd. As much as they want to call Perry a rodent in San Jose, Couture literally looks like one which makes it so much worse whenever he's jawing Jeff Carter style after whistles. Burns grew a disgusting beaver dam on his face and the goofs working in NHL marketing decided he needed to become the most visible player in the league ASAP. His entire schtick is straight up just "LOL BEARD". I'm tired of seeing his face everywhere just like I'm tired of seeing men looking like wannabe pirates in Ottawa because of the impression Karlsson left here. Go Avs. Go Blues/Stars. Go Canes/Jackets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

The Sharks are rubbing me the wrong way too. It's nothing compared to some of the other teams on my ****list, although most of those teams have already been eliminated outside of Dallas (who as much as I dislike them historically, this year's team honestly isn't bad at all. Plus they eliminated the 50 shades of filthy Preds so they'd get a pass from me even if they were the 2008 Stars). Every little thing San Jose does just stands out more to me because other teams aren't giving me a reason to dislike them.

Their entire demeanor last year was "look at these goons, cheer for us cause we're not like that!" but the second anything has gone wrong for them this year, their antics are just as embarrassing. They whine about officiating endlessly and get petty about apologies even after the refs literally gifted them the last series. They've got the next Filip Floorsberg in Meier, a guy who might be the strongest skater on the ice every time he's out but he'd rather use that leg strength to throw himself onto the ice and act like he's rehearsing a dying scene in a middle school drama class. Kane is a bum, they willingly ice Haley in the playoffs, and Dillon has always been a turd. As much as they want to call Perry a rodent in San Jose, Couture literally looks like one which makes it so much worse whenever he's jawing Jeff Carter style after whistles. Burns grew a disgusting beaver dam on his face and the goofs working in NHL marketing decided he needed to become the most visible player in the league ASAP. His entire schtick is straight up just "LOL BEARD". I'm tired of seeing his face everywhere just like I'm tired of seeing men looking like wannabe pirates in Ottawa because of the impression Karlsson left here. Go Avs. Go Blues/Stars. Go Canes/Jackets.

Couture bugs the HELL out of me...way more than Crosby. I just get this sense from watching his body language and the way he reacts to things that he thinks he's some top elite player that's going to be the saving grace for his team. This whole team is littered with immaturity and classlessness and hypocrisy and whiners -- and not very much talent. I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with Doughty on how he spoke of Karlsson/Burns...one-dimensional players. That dimension they are very good at, but...ugh. Not very complete. Jones is a joke who is somehow playing better...

And no I am not bitter about them sweeping us last year and being in the playoffs this far...why do you ask?? ... :P 

• Like 1

BullDehydrated Donkey Dung call on McAvoy. Should have been ejected. If he doesn’t get suspended, NHL Player Safety proves again that they’re nothing more than joke. 

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

The Sharks have been short-handed more than any other team in the playoffs (46). Next closest is Colorado (38), then Carolina (36), Dallas (35), Boston (33), St Louis (28) and Columbus (24). Boston, Dallas and St Louis have all played the same number of games (12), Carolina has played 11 games, and Colorado 10. 

And they have had 50 power plays,  according to the NHL app. They may be counting the 5 min. major as multiple PPs, but that’s appropriate given that 4 goals were scored.

25 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

And they have had 50 power plays,  according to the NHL app. They may be counting the 5 min. major as multiple PPs, but that’s appropriate given that 4 goals were scored.

That’s a separate stat. I was responding to a comment that they never get called for anything with a stat that shows they’ve actually been penalized at a higher rate than any other team in the playoffs.

Yeesh Meier is giving me serious Johan Franzen at his worst flashbacks. Guy was responsible for San Jose tying it but he then takes out Landeskog's legs during a freaking goal celebration and dives to the ice in a heap when Landeskog checks him back. This clown is getting out of contol now.

19 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Yeesh Meier is giving me serious Johan Franzen at his worst flashbacks. Guy was responsible for San Jose tying it but he then takes out Landeskog's legs during a freaking goal celebration and dives to the ice in a heap when Landeskog checks him back. This clown is getting out of contol now.

Oh god did that annoy me so much...how easily his body turned to jello when he got hit...it was ridiculous...and then what was Kane doing trying to rally for a penalty? You know the Sharks know they lack talent...they know they can only win with stupid calls going their way. That's sort of the silver lining of all of this...the Sharks couldn't beat the Knights in a 7-game series without getting a horrible 5-minute major power play in game 7...they didn't earn it. And they'll always know that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I honestly don’t see Meier doing anything worse than what Perry has done for the past 10+ years. How many times did we see a stiff breeze blow vintage Pears onto a netminder’s legs over the years? IMO Meier is a pretty great player, and we are just going to be learning to hate Meier the same way Sharks fans have hated CP10.

Edited by dtsdlaw

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

BullDehydrated Donkey Dung call on McAvoy. Should have been ejected. If he doesn’t get suspended, NHL Player Safety proves again that they’re nothing more than joke. 

That should be a suspension, but I’m fine with the call on the ice. There is no major penalty available for an illegal check to the head under rule 48. It’s either a minor or a match penalty, and the match penalty requires a deliberate intent to injure. IMO, the ref can’t call that a match penalty on the ice watching it at full speed. McAvoy’s skates stayed on the ice, elbow was down, and he didn’t explode into the hit at all. I think he just mis-timed what could/should have been a solid body check on a guy who is significantly bigger than him. So according to the rule, 2-min minor + incoming 1-game suspension. Let’s see if the DPS does their job on this one....

30 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I honestly don’t see Meier doing anything worse than what Perry has done for the past 10+ years. How many times did we see a stiff breeze blow vintage Pears onto a netminder’s legs over the years? IMO Meier is a pretty great player, and we are just going to be learning to hate Meier the same way Sharks fans have hated CP10.

Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT to like about Meier's game. Both of Vlasic's goals tonight were a direct result of him bulldozing into Colorado's zone and singlehandedly wreaking havoc. The Floorsberg/Franzen comparisons I've made aren't just cause I think he's a weasel. He's got the potential to turn into a legitimate force in that power forward role. My beef with him is how his antics are going unchecked for the most part. The Perry comparison would be a better one if Meier was going up against the same type of players that Perry faced during his heyday. I honestly don't think a player has taken more abuse over the last decade than Perry has. He paid the price whenever he tried agitating which kept things fair and made it a calculated risk on his part. Meier just jerks his head back and falls to the ice whenever the other team comes for him. Not to sound like a Don Cherry-brained goober longing for the good ol' days of hockey here but that wouldn't fly even 10 years ago. 

9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That should be a suspension, but I’m fine with the call on the ice. There is no major penalty available for an illegal check to the head under rule 48. It’s either a minor or a match penalty, and the match penalty requires a deliberate intent to injure. IMO, the ref can’t call that a match penalty on the ice watching it at full speed. McAvoy’s skates stayed on the ice, elbow was down, and he didn’t explode into the hit at all. I think he just mis-timed what could/should have been a solid body check on a guy who is significantly bigger than him. So according to the rule, 2-min minor + incoming 1-game suspension. Let’s see if the DPS does their job on this one....

Boston’s Charlie McAvoy will have a hearing today for an Illegal Check to the Head on Columbus’ Josh Anderson.

So what you're saying is Meier is a punk?  I don't see how that's an argument in favor of Meier.  Although while Perry would have absolutely rolled over on someone's legs, I don't think he takes the easy dive when shoved afterward.  

It's ridiculous that Eakins could get a major for his "dangerous" cross-check but McAvoy can't get a major for that.  As usual, the NHL's rules make no sense.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

So what you're saying is Meier is a punk?  I don't see how that's an argument in favor of Meier.  Although while Perry would have absolutely rolled over on someone's legs, I don't think he takes the easy dive when shoved afterward.  

Absolutely he did early in his career. I'm also not arguing in favor of Meier. He just doesn't bother me much. We've had our own rat-like superstar for long enough that I'm a bit numb to the antics as long as they aren't intentionally injuring anyone (like Marchand, Kadri and Forsberg have). Glass houses and all.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Absolutely he did early in his career. I'm also not arguing in favor of Meier. He just doesn't bother me much. We've had our own rat-like superstar for long enough that I'm a bit numb to the antics as long as they aren't intentionally injuring anyone (like Marchand, Kadri and Forsberg have). Glass houses and all.

I didn't mind Perry's playful antics, or the non-dangerous get under the skin stuff.  But I never liked the cheap shots.  And I never, ever like diving.  So if that means I can't stand early-career Perry, then so be it.  If I defended it then, I was wrong.