The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
hoxxey

playoff game...

7 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Have go disagree.  I think that one event absolutely cost Vegas the series. It's not like there's another game to be played, and the penalty called was dubious at best. That's like taking a two week cruise and on day 13 contracting the norovirus. Sorry, but in my world that one single event would ruin the entire cruise for me.

That’s why there were 6 other games to play to help decide and confirm a winner. Don’t get me wrong here. I don’t even agree with the 5 minute major should have been a 2 minute but that’s not what I’m saying here. The Sharks won the best of 7 full games. They were the better team after losing one game they came back with a vengeance and won three straight games which is pretty convincing in of itself.  We can’t pin that one event on the entire series, we just can’t. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

LOL You guys are all just too bitter and bias against the Sharks. That’s why the POs are a 7 game series, you can’t just pin one (just 1) event within a single game let alone a single period on losing the entire tournament. The Sharks are stacked with talent. They blew the lid off the Ducks last season (swept them under the rug) and are now slowing making their way through this years tourney. They have a great team over there. I can’t believe you guys would prefer Vegas to have won. Let’s take off the rosy-colored glasses for a moment.

Look, If the Ducks don’t win it all I don’t care who else does anyway....unless it’s LA cause then I’ll hear it and see it from every one of their dreadful fans who are everywhere around here (in the street, at the office, in the supermarket) due to living in the same-ish vicinity as them. But if the winner turns out to be St Louis that’s ok too cause like the Sharks they have never won it before and have been in the game for a few decades as well and so their true fans prob deserve it as well for sticking with them for all this time (band wagon Vegas fans, not so much). Further, Most of the Good Ol Boy clubs (Rangers, Hawks, Red Wings etc) are out of it so that’s cool too. 

Sure, Vegas could have done other things differently and won the series despite the penalty.

Also, the refs could have correctly not called a 5-minute major and Vegas would have won the series.  That has nothing to do with my hatred for the Sharks.

That said, screw the Sharks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobD360 said:

It’s comedy for everyone who thinks Vegas lost the series solely based on the 5 minute major penalty. 1). It’s a series of 7 games where the Sharks were the team who won 3 straight games to win. 2). There have been plenty of 5 min majors in the past and most “good” teams work through the adversity. Vegas failed miserably 3). the Sharks went on a rampage and scored 4... that’s 4 goals in the final 10 min (I believe), this alone was a clear mental breakdown by Vegas. They had the game in hand with such a big lead and blew it. They and they alone lost this game. 

Lastly I'm really surprised that most people here wanted Vegas to win over the Sharks anyways. Not sure why. Vegas has done absolutely nothing to earn a deep run in the PO. They are a newbie team acting like they have a rich long history in the league, they don’t. And, I will bet you anything that the Vegas bandwagon fans are probably wayyyyyyyy worse than the Shark fans. 

Vegas got beat by the better, more experienced team, no question about it. Vegas has no one to blame but themselves

The Sharks were my pick to come out of the West, that said they were outplayed by Vegas more often than not in the series. Martin Jones absolutely stole game 6 with the game of his life while Murray subsequently gave it away. The Eakins penalty was awful and ultimately cost them. 99 times out of 100 Vegas wins that series but, ironically, luck wasn’t on their side.

I personally hope both Vegas and SJ fall into a raging river, but the Vegas players have every right to be furious about getting screwed the way that they did in the end. Vegas is going to be a scary team for the next couple of seasons and are poised to make deep runs. As mentioned above, Vegas winning would have been in the Ducks interests which is why I had hoped they’d win the series.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sure, Vegas could have done other things differently and won the series despite the penalty.

Also, the refs could have correctly not called a 5-minute major and Vegas would have won the series.  That has nothing to do with my hatred for the Sharks.

That said, screw the Sharks.

Not provable. If that's called as a 2-minute minor (as it should have been) and the Sharks score to make it 4-2, there's still 10+ minutes left to play. Considering how the Sharks rallied together after seeing their captain bloodied on the ice, I don't think anyone can be certain that the Sharks didn't have two more goals in them over the final 10 minutes, even without the 5-minute major.

It was a terribly officiated series from start to finish too. I could make the argument that the Sharks got jobbed in game 2 even worse than Vegas got jobbed in game 7 when the refs took a good goal off the board (the go-ahead goal) and gave Vegas a PP for a phantom goaltender interference call on Couture, which Vegas then scored the GWG on. IMO, wrongly taking a goal off the board and awarding a PP to the opponent in a tie game is a bigger screw-up than wrongly awarding a major instead of a minor when the opponent has a 3-goal lead with 10 minutes to play in the game. Any time you wrongly take points off the board (or wrongly add a point to the board, as when Eakins high-stick goal was counted in game 7), that is worse that screwing up a penalty call. And if the Sharks go to Vegas up 2-0 in the series instead of tied 1-1, its conceivable that the series doesn't even get past 5 or 6 games. To borrow dukitup's cruise analogy, that hatchet job in game 2 is like getting your wallet and luggage stolen from your cabin on day 2 of a 7-day cruise. That kind of injustice affects the entire rest of the trip.

Again, bad officiating throughout the series and both teams got jobbed at various times in the series. Sharks overcame getting jobbed. Vegas didn't. That's hockey. That's playoffs. I'm fine with the result.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RobD360 said:

And, I will bet you anything that the Vegas bandwagon fans are probably wayyyyyyyy worse than the Shark fans. 

Impossible. Vegas fans don't do jawline exercises while mashing their arms up and down like a bunch of dorks whenever their team gets a powerplay. At least the dudes impersonating Elvis have a bit of self awareness of how ridiculous they look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dukitup said:

Have go disagree.  I think that one event absolutely cost Vegas the series. It's not like there's another game to be played, and the penalty called was dubious at best. That's like taking a two week cruise and on day 13 contracting the norovirus. Sorry, but in my world that one single event would ruin the entire cruise for me.

and... the league apologized for it.  that's carte' blanche for grumping about it forever.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

and... the league apologized for it.  that's carte' blanche for grumping about it forever.

AND, the implicated refs were barred from officiating the next round.  

To borrow dts cruise analogy, if my wallet was stolen on day two of the cruise, I would call the bureau that monitors my CC's. They would cancel and have new cards waiting for me once I got home. Would grab my wife (because my taste in clothes sucks) and head to the onboard stores for a new wardrobe and some luggage. Trip a success.  😆

16 minutes ago, dukitup said:

AND, the implicated refs were barred from officiating the next round.  

To borrow dts cruise analogy, if my wallet was stolen on day two of the cruise, I would call the bureau that monitors my CC's. They would cancel and have new cards waiting for me once I got home. Would grab my wife (because my taste in clothes sucks) and head to the onboard stores for a new wardrobe and some luggage. Trip a success.  😆

But what if they stole one of your favorite Ducks jerseys that I've seen you wear to the Ponda??  :P

btw, I believe it was Chris Lee who made that phantom GI call on Couture in Game 2, and he also watched the 2nd round from his couch at home.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Not provable. If that's called as a 2-minute minor (as it should have been) and the Sharks score to make it 4-2, there's still 10+ minutes left to play. Considering how the Sharks rallied together after seeing their captain bloodied on the ice, I don't think anyone can be certain that the Sharks didn't have two more goals in them over the final 10 minutes, even without the 5-minute major.

It was a terribly officiated series from start to finish too. I could make the argument that the Sharks got jobbed in game 2 even worse than Vegas got jobbed in game 7 when the refs took a good goal off the board (the go-ahead goal) and gave Vegas a PP for a phantom goaltender interference call on Couture, which Vegas then scored the GWG on. IMO, wrongly taking a goal off the board and awarding a PP to the opponent in a tie game is a bigger screw-up than wrongly awarding a major instead of a minor when the opponent has a 3-goal lead with 10 minutes to play in the game. Any time you wrongly take points off the board (or wrongly add a point to the board, as when Eakins high-stick goal was counted in game 7), that is worse that screwing up a penalty call. And if the Sharks go to Vegas up 2-0 in the series instead of tied 1-1, its conceivable that the series doesn't even get past 5 or 6 games. To borrow dukitup's cruise analogy, that hatchet job in game 2 is like getting your wallet and luggage stolen from your cabin on day 2 of a 7-day cruise. That kind of injustice affects the entire rest of the trip.

Again, bad officiating throughout the series and both teams got jobbed at various times in the series. Sharks overcame getting jobbed. Vegas didn't. That's hockey. That's playoffs. I'm fine with the result.

Of course it's not provable.  It's something that didn't actually happen.  But I am anyone and I am certain that Vegas still wins that game if they don't give up four power play goals on the same power play.

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Of course it's not provable.  It's something that didn't actually happen.  But I am anyone and I am certain that Vegas still wins that game if they don't give up four power play goals on the same power play.

Because no team ever blows a 2-goal lead in a10-minute span in a game 7, right? 

[coughCapitalscough]

• Like 1

I really hope Boston destroys SJ like they are destroying Carolina right now if it ends up being  those two teams in the SCF.

• Like 1

All these years later and I'm still salty about Justin Williams so seeing his leadership get mocked by Marchand of all people was my highlight of this game. It's so stupid when you think about it but I'm here for it.

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Screw the Bruins and the Sharks.  This is about to be an unwatchable Cup Final.

I second this man's grumpy.

I really wish Carolina can pull through. Marchand the rat and his crew can bite it. Was hoping for a SC final with teams that have never won the cup or just have 1 

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Screw the Bruins and the Sharks.  This is about to be an unwatchable Cup Final.

But if you had to choose one....who would you go for? though I understand it’s picking between two dirty sins. 

59 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

But if you had to choose one....who would you go for? though I understand it’s picking between two dirty sins. 

Woof...Obviously, I pick the meteor with my first choice.  But if I'm forced to choose?  

I guess I pick the Sharks.  Erik Karlsson is cool and he isn't fully saturated with the Shark stink yet.  It's more rooting against Marchand than anything else.  I also don't want to see any Boston fans any smugger than they already are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Benefits of a Sharks win (assuming San Jose v Boston):

1. Joe Thornton will almost certainly retire. He turns 40 this summer and looks like a shell of his old self. If they win, I think he's done. If they don't win, he probably comes back again. Personally, I'm ready for him to go away.

2. The Sharks have a lot of free agents (esp. Pavelski and Meier) and nothing screams "overpay me!" more than winning a Cup. I feel like having your name on the Cup is worth about $500K-$750K more per season + an extra year on a guy's next contract extension. I think it also makes it tougher to cut the cord on aging players, and they could get roped into longer, more expensive contracts with aging guys like Pavelski this summer and Braun next summer.  So a Cup win could actually put them in a tougher spot against the Cap going forward. It would also likely price Erik Karlsson off their payroll next season. 

3. Suck it, Marchand.

4. Cup hangover. A Cup win often leaves teams much less hungry to push through the grind the following season, and outside of Meier and Hertl, that team is not young. If they are finally able to break through and win it this season, I think they could very easily turn into the 2014-15 LA Kings and miss the playoffs all together next season due to a Cup hangover. And what Ducks fan wouldn't LOL if the Sharks became only the 6th(?) team to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup?

Edited by dtsdlaw

I usually swing hard in favour of the team that already has a bunch of championships at this point over the teams looking for their first. It keeps the Cup exclusive. I know it won't cheapen what this team accomplished in 07, but we lose a bit of that championship distinction every time there's an LA or a Washington winning their first. Boston is such a douchey team though blah.

• Like 1

Sharks can suck an egg. There’s nothing better than the fans/players of your rivals not getting the satisfaction of winning when your team also can’t win. Z’s B’s all the way. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spencer_12 said:

Sharks can suck an egg. There’s nothing better than the fans/players of your rivals not getting the satisfaction of winning when your team also can’t win. Z’s B’s all the way. 

Classy Brad Marchand and their level-headed non-biased tv commentator approve this message 

2 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Classy Brad Marchand and their level-headed non-biased tv commentator approve this message 

Lol Edwards biased crying alone would make the sharks winning in that scenario great👊

I’ve hated the Sharks ever since one of their fans behind me yelled “F*** the Ducks” during a playoff game 10 years ago.  

Trust me, you do NOT want to have Sharks fans coming to the Pond after they have won a Cup.

There's an interview Jack Edwards did on Canadian TV during the Toronto series that made me think of him in a much different light. I always found him far too outrageous to take seriously but he's actually very down to earth and knowledgeable about the game. It's clear that he's putting on an act for entertainment purposes whenever he rants about the Bruins being angels sent from above to rain righteousness over the unjust world of hockey or whatever insanity he's usually spewing. He knows everyone outside of Boston hates him, that's why he doubles down on it. Man's a professional troll. I'll take him over any of the straight up ignorant Jim Fox types the sport is plagued with every single time.

8 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

There's an interview Jack Edwards did on Canadian TV during the Toronto series that made me think of him in a much different light. I always found him far too outrageous to take seriously but he's actually very down to earth and knowledgeable about the game. It's clear that he's putting on an act for entertainment purposes whenever he rants about the Bruins being angels sent from above to rain righteousness over the unjust world of hockey or whatever insanity he's usually spewing. He knows everyone outside of Boston hates him, that's why he doubles down on it. Man's a professional troll. I'll take him over any of the straight up ignorant Jim Fox types the sport is plagued with every single time.

Jim Fox is, and always will be, the worst.  But I can't stand trolls of any sort, so being self-aware doesn't make it any better.  It makes it worse.  If Edwards came by it honestly (just a super homer), he'd still be awful, but at least it would be awful with integrity.  Putting on an act to tick people off gains him zero respect from me.

• Like 2

Since the NHL playoffs suck this year and the Gulls are doing well in the Calder Cup playoffs, I signed up for AHL tv last night.  Saw the Gulls win 6-2 to advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time!  I don’t see a forum for the AHL so I’m posting here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Since the NHL playoffs suck this year and the Gulls are doing well in the Calder Cup playoffs, I signed up for AHL tv last night.  Saw the Gulls win 6-2 to advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time!  I don’t see a forum for the AHL so I’m posting here.

http://fans.ducks.nhl.com/community/forum/31-in-the-system/

• Thanks 1